Charlie Austin

LegalEagle

Is the new definition of injury prone, has had an injury during his time at saints?

That’s the only reason longcould be on any such list.

All three have had their fair share of injuries recently so I do not consider my statement to have been over the top but TBF I didn't think that it would stir up a hornet's nest either !

I'm assuming Barnes will be included in the 25 man squad from now on so possible Ralph has decided that him and Gallagher are good enough to see us through the season as back up to Ings, Long and Obafemi.

As well as Redmond being in form in front of goal, he could play up top in a pinch.

I'm assuming Barnes will be included in the 25 man squad from now on so possible Ralph has decided that him and Gallagher are good enough to see us through the season as back up to Ings, Long and Obafemi.

As well as Redmond being in form in front of goal, he could play up top in a pinch.

Yeah, I believe he was included prior to the Leicester game.

RH clearly thinks that he can improve Gallagher's game or he has a sneaky incoming transfer up his sleeve, otherwise we are pretty short of strikers in the squad !

Ings, Long and Obafemi are all injury prone so we are not exactly prepared for a rainy day !

Anyway, in Ralph we trust !

RH has stated that outside of the top 15 or 18 players, he wants the squad to be youngsters who he can grow. So if Austin has fallen to 3rd or 4th selection behind Ings, Redmond, Long/Obafemi, then its very consistent to prefer Gallagher over Austin. In the high pressing style I'm not sure either player will every routinely feature.

Having said that, the guy has shown he can consistently score in he PL. In a different system he could really help someone:

34 goals in 97 PL matches, 16 goals in 62 all matches he appeared in with the Saints. Also out of those 62, he started 31, so in half of the matches he only got limited time. Taking this into consideration, with the Saints (and in the PL) he averaged just about 1/2 goal every 90 minute match. Obviously this number goes up when you consider his time in lower division.

These are still higher than anyone we have

Club set to bring in forward this weekend with Southampton player linked to possible transfer

Milliyet have today confirmed Galatasaray are interested in signing Southampton striker Charlie Austin, with the Turkish club looking to bring in a striker this weekend.

The Turkish newspaper haven’t confirmed Austin will come to Istanbul, but they say Galatasaray are definitely interested in signing the player.

It’s been well documented in recent weeks the Turkish champions want to bolster their attacking options in this window and they’ve been linked with a number of No.9s.

Earlier reports emerging from England suggest Austin is set to leave Southampton and Galatasaray has been named as a potential club for the 29 year old.

According to Milliyet, a surprise move to Galatasaray may happen before next week’s transfer deadline and a possible transfer to the Super Lig is on the cards for the Southampton player.

Aston Villa have also been linked with the former QPR man in the past 24 hours.

Austin made 16 Premier League appearances for Southampton this season, scoring two goals.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/club-set-bring-forward-weekend-southampton-player-linked-possible-transfer/

If he goes, we'll miss Charlie for the bantz... flicking the Vs at the City fans, going all Danny Dyer at the ref after the Watford game, and he's a character - Ralph clearly likes his attitude.

But he's obviously not the future, and although he maybe the most natural goal poacher we have he'll always miss a few games, and he doesn't fit Ralph's style or fitness regime.

So if he goes I wish him well, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him score for someone else at St Mary's one day.

Charlie has nothing more to offer, his day is done. We need a different type with an appetite and a future and if we can't get one we are still better off without Charlie hanging around

I’d accuse Austin of a lot of things but a lack of appetite isn’t one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he goes, we'll miss Charlie for the bantz... flicking the Vs at the City fans, going all Danny Dyer at the ref after the Watford game, and he's a character - Ralph clearly likes his attitude.

But he's obviously not the future, and although he maybe the most natural goal poacher we have he'll always miss a few games, and he doesn't fit Ralph's style or fitness regime.

So if he goes I wish him well, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him score for someone else at St Mary's one day.

He is still only 29 and must have at least two seasons in him.

He is still only 29 and must have at least two seasons in him.

Yes, just not at PL level. He's the kind of goalhanger who will do very well in the lower leagues, but the intensity of the PL these days is just too much for him. it's quite obvious he's not up to Ralph's pressing system.

Yes, just not at PL level. He's the kind of goalhanger who will do very well in the lower leagues, but the intensity of the PL these days is just too much for him. it's quite obvious he's not up to Ralph's pressing system.

I think he has demonstrated that he is an 8-12 goal striker in the premier league even with his injury record.

I think he has demonstrated that he is an 8-12 goal striker in the premier league even with his injury record.

A couple of years ago maybe. The game has got faster and he has got slower in that time.

He has no place in a team that plays high pressing with fast counter attacks, as Ralph's teams do.

He's done well for us in his time here and scored some important goals, but he has no future at SFC under the new regime.

Not anymore.
Indeed. He has only scored more than 7 goals in one PL season which was 2014/15 for QPR.

Has returned PL tallies of 1, 6, 7 and 2 for Saints.

So clearly not an 8-12 goal striker. And not worth anywhere near 60k a week.

Time for Chaz to move on. I think many people seem to think of him as the guy who got 20 for QPR. That was what, 5 years ago? He's not that fit, he gets injured alot. He'll do well for a good Championship side, wish him well but he's on big money for a guy who is arguably behind Shane Long based on how Ralph likes to play.

I've always liked Austin, but can't help feel that if he is unhappy at his lack of first team chances, maybe he should work harder on his fitness. Ironically, 15 minutes sub appearances probably increase his likelihood of scoring rather than starting games, and Hasenhuttl is the first manager who has realised this.

I've always liked Austin, but can't help feel that if he is unhappy at his lack of first team chances, maybe he should work harder on his fitness. Ironically, 15 minutes sub appearances probably increase his likelihood of scoring rather than starting games, and Hasenhuttl is the first manager who has realised this.

I believe his dodgy knees don't allow him to train properly

There seem to be a lot of people quick to cast out yet another of our players. He's a Saints player, and until he goes, the OTT assassination of him is a little misplaced. He may well not fit RH's way of playing, but he is still a Saints player.

Wait til he goes mate, it will then be called stupid because we are weakening the squad bit like the Cedric guff

Club cannot win

Who says he is going? If I was him I would stay , where else will he get £60k a week guaranteed for a couple of years? No one will pay that, so we are stuck while he gets very rich. hope I am wrong

Supposing someone offered him a £40k, 2.5 year deal and we pay the other £20k for the next year and a half. Would make sense for all parties really.

Indeed. He has only scored more than 7 goals in one PL season which was 2014/15 for QPR.

Has returned PL tallies of 1, 6, 7 and 2 for Saints.

So clearly not an 8-12 goal striker. And not worth anywhere near 60k a week.

Maybe not but I actually looked into some of the stats earlier this year and over the past 3 seasons and up to about 13 games into this one, his goals stats were as you say 6, 7 and 2 but this compared to 3, 2 and 0 for Shane Long, 4, 5 and 1 for Gabbiadini and 7, 1, 2 for Redmond. For comparison over the 3 seasons to that point Austin was averaging a goal every 179.2 minutes compared to 227.5 (Gabbi), 665.3 (Redmond) and 681.8 (Long).

His style / fitness levels may not match up to what Ralph wants and his attitude may put people off but he has been arguably our best and most consistent goal scorer these past few seasons until Ings turned up and I think he deserves some recognition for that.

Having said that, if we really are offered 8m for him that would be a good bit of business for us considering how much we paid for him and how we our changing our style of play. Would still want to see another striker signed though as apart from Ings i'm not convinced any of our strikers can score regularly and he can't even finish a game for us (I'm not counting Redmond as an out and out striker as he doesn't tend to lead the line himself).

Maybe not but I actually looked into some of the stats earlier this year and over the past 3 seasons and up to about 13 games into this one, his goals stats were as you say 6, 7 and 2 but this compared to 3, 2 and 0 for Shane Long, 4, 5 and 1 for Gabbiadini and 7, 1, 2 for Redmond. For comparison over the 3 seasons to that point Austin was averaging a goal every 179.2 minutes compared to 227.5 (Gabbi), 665.3 (Redmond) and 681.8 (Long).

His style / fitness levels may not match up to what Ralph wants and his attitude may put people off but he has been arguably our best and most consistent goal scorer these past few seasons until Ings turned up and I think he deserves some recognition for that.

Having said that, if we really are offered 8m for him that would be a good bit of business for us considering how much we paid for him and how we our changing our style of play. Would still want to see another striker signed though as apart from Ings i'm not convinced any of our strikers can score regularly and he can't even finish a game for us (I'm not counting Redmond as an out and out striker as he doesn't tend to lead the line himself).

Very fair and reasonable post. 8 million would be good business for us, and a move would probably suit him, but he remains (other than Ings) the only player in the last three seasons we've been able to rely on in any sort of goal-scoring capacity. I wish him no ill, just think he and saints no longer suit each other.

Agree with all of this. Some continue to include his 2 time off due to injuries into his goals. Yes he got hurt for 1/2 of 2 different seasons, however when he plays can be a 10-15 PL scorer. You can't ding him for being injured. He had some very good streaks for Puel and MP. As you state, he doesn't fit what Ralph wants to do (like Gabbi). Both will be good players for squads with different approaches. Best to let him go and move on, again much like Gabbi.