Charlie Austin

LegalEagle

Sam Wallace on the the Telegraph’s transfer page...

“Southampton have stuck to their insistence that Charlie Austin only be permitted to move on a permanent deal this window which has meant the striker has been too expensive at this stage of the season for a number of clubs who wanted him on loan.

The 29-year-old was told by manager Ralph Hasenhuttl that he could leave in January having started just two games since the Austrian took over at the club. Wolverhampton Wanderers had enquired about the player and there was strong interest from Stoke City until they opted for the cheaper option of Sam Vokes. It was Austin’s preference to stay in the Premier League. Crystal Palace and Cardiff City also looked at the striker who has a contract at Saints until the summer of 2020.

Southampton would not entertain a loan deal and Austin will now stay and attempt to force his way into Hasenhuttl’s side. His decision to stay at Queens Park Rangers in the summer of 2015, despite their relegation, was rewarded with the move to Southampton the following January. The likelihood is that there will be a strong market for him in the summer.”

Because the majority of people actually want to sell Austin. How is that hard to understand?

:lol::lol:

We reject bids for players we want to sell, and accept them for players we don't.

The Southampton way.

He doesn't want to move to the Championship, so it doesn't matter how much clubs offer us from there because he isn't going to go there so why accept the offer? And thankfully the club aren't stupid enough to loan him to a club in our league so that he can strengthen their fight for survival whilst we are still in it. If those clubs were willing to pay for him then maybe the club would consider it, but they probably aren't going to want to commit to 3-4 years of a 29 year old's Premier League wages when there's no guarantee they will still be able to afford it within 6 months. You lot need to wake up a bit.

He doesn't want to move to the Championship, so it doesn't matter how much clubs offer us from there because he isn't going to go there so why accept the offer? And thankfully the club aren't stupid enough to loan him to a club in our league so that he can strengthen their fight for survival whilst we are still in it. If those clubs were willing to pay for him then maybe the club would consider it, but they probably aren't going to want to commit to 3-4 years of a 29 year old's Premier League wages when there's no guarantee they will still be able to afford it within 6 months. You lot need to wake up a bit.

The Agent speaking on the radio today was saying because of the massive wages being paid these days loans with a view to buy are becoming more common and will continue to do so as teams don't want to be stuck paying those wages if a player doesn't fit in or work out .

The Agent speaking on the radio today was saying because of the massive wages being paid these days loans with a view to buy are becoming more common and will continue to do so as teams don't want to be stuck paying those wages if a player doesn't fit in or work out .

Exactly, and understandably, but it's of absolutely no benefit to us. Providing a short term fix for a relegation rival, whilst bringing in no money for a replacement and then being stuck with an ageing striker on big wages in the final year of his contract is of a level of stupidity that our board thankfully don't seem to have reached quite yet.

AUSTIN SET TO STAY?

As Deadline Day progresses it seems unlikely Charlie Austin will be leaving Southampton in this window.

Austin trained today and is happy to stay fight for his place in the Southampton team. Last week Saints turned down a £7m bid from a Championship club for him.

Excellent news. He will provide more options up front which after watching last night is pretty important!

We created fck all last night. Isolated forwards don't help. Austin unable to run won't help.

What we desperately need is a pacey wide player to play with Redmond and Ings whether it's 433 or 343.

When he is fit he can eek out goals from nowhere. It is using him so that he has the best chance of staying fit that is the challenge.

We created fck all last night. Isolated forwards don't help. Austin unable to run won't help.

What we desperately need is a pacey wide player to play with Redmond and Ings whether it's 433 or 343.

I’d rather Charlie came on last night than Mo. Down to 10 men and defending deep, Charlie may have nicked something. One thing for sure, Palace fans would have feared the worst seeing him run on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When he is fit he can eek out goals from nowhere. It is using him so that he has the best chance of staying fit that is the challenge.

No he can’t. The only goals he has score have been on an empty pitch at Wembley and against Koscielny, who hadn’t played in 6 months, was blatantly unfit and had been on the pitch 85 minutes compared to Austin’s 20.

Well I have more faith in Charlie scoring the odd important goal than I do Moi or Gallagher.

If it’s 0-0 v Cardiff and Austin is sent on with 15 mins left and scores the only goal of the game all of a sudden he will be a bloody hero to the ones who write him off as crap

Well I have more faith in Charlie scoring the odd important goal than I do Moi or Gallagher.

If it’s 0-0 v Cardiff and Austin is sent on with 15 mins left and scores the only goal of the game all of a sudden he will be a bloody hero to the ones who write him off as crap

That's pretty much how football supporting works.

Like when it was 0-0 against Cardiff in Ralph’s first game, Austin started and did absolutely f*ck all?

Nope. He would still be crap in my book.

Had he scored against Burnley, Cardiff or any other team except Arsenal, instead of being useless, then I might hold a different opinion.

I actually quite like the fact he wants to stay and fight for a place. Hopefully he'll work hard and start banging them in when he has a chance. Better than him going and us not replacing like everyone else who has left this window.
Perhaps no good race courses near the championship club :-)

Austin wants to be near his horses?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I think Ralph makes a good point. He said he likes the team now, its already been reduced, and he doesn't want Austin to go. He said Austin is his best finisher (paraphrasing), and that when the game calls for goals (especially around the box) he's in. Ralph clearly sees Austins strengths and weaknesses, and can see what value he brings the club. Weaker teams, and Championship teams, would have him in all the time, but here with Redmond/Ings/etc. this is where Austin fits. The rub is of course Austin wants to start, so thats something he needs to come to grips with if he wants to stay.

I actually quite like the fact he wants to stay and fight for a place. Hopefully he'll work hard and start banging them in when he has a chance. Better than him going and us not replacing like everyone else who has left this window.

When you say ‘fight for a place’, do you mean ‘sit on his arse and count his money for not doing very much at all’?

So if we go with your view egg, one that I'm not wholly in agreement with, then Austin would be sub? Me, I would probably have Austin, with Long as sub. ie He still has a very important role at the club, even though many seem to want to just bump him out of the club.

So if we go with your view egg, one that I'm not wholly in agreement with, then Austin would be sub? Me, I would probably have Austin, with Long as sub. ie He still has a very important role at the club, even though many seem to want to just bump him out of the club.

I don't rate Long but I can't see the pressing game working with Austin. He's a great finisher and his winner against Arsenal shows he has ability still. As he's here I've no doubt RH will use him.

When you say ‘fight for a place’, do you mean ‘sit on his arse and count his money for not doing very much at all’?

No, he means continuing to impress Ralph with his attitude.

Ralph has said it was just that he doesn’t fit into the preferred style of play,but he likes his attitude.

But hey, what does Ralph know compared to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sam Wallace on the the Telegraph’s transfer page...

“Southampton have stuck to their insistence that Charlie Austin only be permitted to move on a permanent deal this window which has meant the striker has been too expensive at this stage of the season for a number of clubs who wanted him on loan.

The 29-year-old was told by manager Ralph Hasenhuttl that he could leave in January having started just two games since the Austrian took over at the club. Wolverhampton Wanderers had enquired about the player and there was strong interest from Stoke City until they opted for the cheaper option of Sam Vokes. It was Austin’s preference to stay in the Premier League. Crystal Palace and Cardiff City also looked at the striker who has a contract at Saints until the summer of 2020.

Southampton would not entertain a loan deal and Austin will now stay and attempt to force his way into Hasenhuttl’s side. His decision to stay at Queens Park Rangers in the summer of 2015, despite their relegation, was rewarded with the move to Southampton the following January. The likelihood is that there will be a strong market for him in the summer.”

Seriously Wolves were interested :scared:

You'd start 8 goals in 82 games Shane Long??

So who would you start in the RH pressing system? Austin who can't run so can't press? Obafemi? Gallagher who struggled at Birmingham and has been injured for ages?

So who would you start in the RH pressing system? Austin who can't run so can't press? Obafemi? Gallagher who struggled at Birmingham and has been injured for ages?
Gallagher didnt struggle did he? If he is that bad why did 4 clubs want him?

He may not be the answer and Ralph hasnt given him time but no your wrong about B'ham.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Edited by Give it to Ron

So with the current centre forwards of....

ings

Austin

Long

Gallagher

Obafemi

If Ings get's injured, who do you start with?

When Ings gets injured more like (unfortunately). Surprised Long has scored as many as 8 in 82 to be honest, so for that reason alone, I'd get the midfielders and wingbacks running and crossing to Austin as a proper centre forward. Would be interested to see Gallagher getting some more minutes though and see if he can add anything different.

Would be interested to see Gallagher getting some more minutes though and see if he can add anything different.

Gallagher needs chances and game time to get match fit. Not looked great when we have seen him so far. I am not sure if he'll get much chance though with us playing 1 up front. For me Austin is similar, he needs game time regularly to get the best out of him / keep him sharp.

I think Yoshida would have a better goal scoring record than Long if played up front...... Having a striker that doesnt score goals is like having a fisherman that doesn't catch fish. 4 goals under 4 managers?? From a STRIKER???

• 1 month later...