Charlie Austin

LegalEagle

Can anyone believe that Blackburn or Stoke (or anyone else) will pay him £60k a week? Even if we manage to get rid of him on loan we will have to pay a whack of his wages. China is our best hope. Come on Gao, do something useful

Stoke could with parachute payments.

I'll be amazed if he goes permanently.

Rovers chief on Britt Assombalonga and Charlie Austin links:

Rovers are hoping to add a striker to their ranks before tomorrow’s transfer deadline – with a loan deal most likely.

Boss Tony Mowbray has a primary target in mind as he looks to add competition to Danny Graham at the head of the Rovers attack, but that's not either of Charlie Austin or Britt Assombalonga who have been linked with moves this week.

Austin’s Southampton team-mate Sam Gallagher is a player Rovers have pursued for some time, with the 23-year-old having scored 12 goals during a previous loan spell at the club in 2016/17 and is the most likely name at the top of the list.

But Gallagher's availability could well hinge on Southampton bringing in a player of their own, having been linked with a move for Birmingham forward Che Adams.

Austin has fallen out of favour at Southampton and the 29-year-old striker has played just 18 times this season. The former Burnley man has 18 months left to go on the four-and-a-half year deal he signed when joining for £4m in January 2016 from QPR.

Assombalonga meanwhile, has nine goals for Middlesbrough this year, despite playing second fiddle to Jordan Hugill at the Riverside. But both he and Austin are currently on salaries significantly higher than Rovers’ current wage structure which would hamper the possibility of any deal.

“There are a few players that are circling the market with clubs and agents putting their names out there as being available,” Chief Executive Steve Waggott said of the links to Assombalonga and Austin.

“They are both quality players but they come at a price, and quite a significant price.

“If they are players that Tony is interested in then that’s something we would pursue but at the moment he has a primary target and let’s see if anything develops over the next 36 hours.”

Meanwhile, Rovers are not expecting any first team departures in this window, with just one addition through the door in Middlesbrough winger Harry Chapman who joined for an undisclosed fee on Monday.

The club have already allowed Paul Downing to leave for Doncaster Rovers on loan, while a number of the Under-23s squad have headed out on temporary deals.

On the possibility of incomings, Waggott added: "We have some irons in the fire but as ever in the transfer window there are other parts of the equation that have to move for us to potentially get closer to the targets we want.

"They have to be the right player though with the cohesive nature and character of the squad and Tony is very particular on who his targets could be and they have to be the right fit.

"We're still looking, we have brought Harry Chapman in but would like to bring one more in if at all possible."

#AustinWatch

Edited by SuperSAINT

Looks like Blackburn, Burnley & Stoke both out of the running.

@JPercyTelegraph: Stoke are now in advanced talks with #Burnley over a deal for Sam Vokes - issue at this stage is the fee. Peter Crouch could go to Burnley as part of the deal #scfc

#AustinWatch

Looks like Blackburn, Burnley & Stoke both out of the running.

@JPercyTelegraph: Stoke are now in advanced talks with #Burnley over a deal for Sam Vokes - issue at this stage is the fee. Peter Crouch could go to Burnley as part of the deal #scfc

#AustinWatch

Crouch to Burnely, home debut for him on Saturday.... can predict the obvious outcome.

Cardiff getting a few mentions in the media - Nothing concrete though.

That'd be risky from our perspective.

I just heard that on talktrash. I know it seems financially correct to get rid of him on reported 70k wages (well done Les) he would surely be inspired to get one over us. Unless of course we have someone coming in

I just heard that on talktrash. I know it seems financially correct to get rid of him on reported 70k wages (well done Les) he would surely be inspired to get one over us. Unless of course we have someone coming in

Just arming a rival with goals sounds ridiculous.

Worked with Warnock at QPR & they def need a striker who's available so it makes sense from their perspective.

Crouch to Burnely, home debut for him on Saturday.... can predict the obvious outcome.

I would take Crouch, mainly having read his autobiography. Top bloke. Still can do a job. Good for morale. Brings something different to the bench.

CARDIFF HOPE TO MAKE TWO SIGNINGS

Our man James Cole is at Cardiff City's training ground with the club hoping to make at least two signings on Deadline Day.

"They have been talking with Monaco about Almamy Toure, the right-back. That has gone quiet and is looking less likely.

"They want a midfielder and they are being linked with strikers.

"Charlie Austin is the latest, but Cardiff already have two players on loan from English clubs, which is the limit. So any move from an English club would have to be permanent. It’s more likely they bring in a player from overseas and that will be a loan."

Feel for Cardiff, in that they'd resolved their striker position by splashing £15m on one. But no one would have imagined how that would turn out.

So they're a bit stuck now. Really weird situation.

It's ALMOST a situation where you could see them taking a punt on somebody...

@AdamBlackmore: #saintsfc manager Ralph Hasenhüttl says this morning he is happy now with the size of the squad - said he doesn’t need or want to sell Charlie Austin - but of its a case of one in one out that suits all parties then maybe .......so maybe Austin out and Adams possible still

@reluctantnicko: SOUTHAMPTON. Still want 10m for Charlie Austin.

Seriously? If he ends up staying because of this...

I'd give him away for free to get him off the wage bill. I think it's the only way a Championship club can justify £70kpw for the next 18 months, by offsetting it against a lack of transfer fee.

I'd give him away for free to get him off the wage bill. I think it's the only way a Championship club can justify £70kpw for the next 18 months, by offsetting it against a lack of transfer fee.

so many clueless people on here

But reading above PL teams are after him?

@reluctantnicko: SOUTHAMPTON. Still want 10m for Charlie Austin.

Not time for him to go for and pass a medical, so suggest loan out or keep until summer. Decide now, Saints.

Any club that wants him can simply do what we done with Danny Ings loan with an obligation to buy problem

which is what probably will happen

Any club that wants him can simply do what we done with Danny Ings loan with an obligation to buy problem

which is what probably will happen

Can't see a club like Cardiff agreeing to a big fee with a BIG 3 year contract attached to it.

The total package would be so expensive.

AUSTIN SET TO STAY?

As Deadline Day progresses it seems unlikely Charlie Austin will be leaving Southampton in this window.

Austin trained today and is happy to stay fight for his place in the Southampton team. Last week Saints turned down a £7m bid from a Championship club for him.

AUSTIN SET TO STAY?

As Deadline Day progresses it seems unlikely Charlie Austin will be leaving Southampton in this window.

Austin trained today and is happy to stay fight for his place in the Southampton team. Last week Saints turned down a £7m bid from a Championship club for him.

FFS we turned down 7 million? Madness!

AUSTIN SET TO STAY?

Bants

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk