Site users

Edmonton Saint

So many posters have come and gone over the years. Some posted 30 times a day and then just stopped one day and never came back.

They either found something better to do with their lives or died, I imagine.

So many posters have come and gone over the years. Some posted 30 times a day and then just stopped one day and never came back.

don't rule out a serial killer

I have been with the site for around 18 years if you include it previous guises.

There is a bit of imposed group think around here, if you don't have the same view point as a certain group you get hounded till you give up. Then you have those irritating trolls who believe so much in their freedom to spout off, but forgetting just because you can doesn't mean you should.

But most significantly its probably because we currently suck and what new people are going to get drawn in discuss the misery that has been watching the last season and a half!

There is a bit of imposed group think around here, if you don't have the same view point as a certain group you get hounded till you give up. Then you have those irritating trolls who believe so much in their freedom to spout off, but forgetting just because you can doesn't mean you should.

But most significantly its probably because we currently suck and what new people are going to get drawn in discuss the misery that has been watching the last season and a half!

You've just described every single forum that's ever existed.

I preferred the old site that Keith ran, but that is because there was less mongs on forums back then and more humour.

so did I but ironically Keith’s site was far more tempestuous than this one, some really outrageous arguments and fallouts along with some extremely hilarious moments. Strangely, this forum has been cleaned up to such an extent that it has become sterile and over modded imo.

Is the forum at its busiest when we are utter ****e and things are going to hell in a handcart?

Twitter and whatsapp is eating people's time I suspect. No more, no less than that.

its a fiver a year I think. Not exactly a kings ransom is it.

Yeah, but that's not really how life on the internet works. It could be £5.00..it could be £55.00..you're hardly going to miss either. over the course of a year But I suppose people perceptions are that signing up to an internet football forum would be free, once you start asking for cash, then a lot of people are just going to think forget it. Do many other forums charge? (genuine question, I've never come across one)

Yeah, but that's not really how life on the internet works. It could be £5.00..it could be £55.00..you're hardly going to miss either. over the course of a year But I suppose people perceptions are that signing up to an internet football forum would be free, once you start asking for cash, then a lot of people are just going to think forget it. Do many other forums charge? (genuine question, I've never come across one)

Indeed. No saints fan I speak to at work who is under 30 has heard of this place. They have different media. Posters here probably die off at same rate as Brexit voters.

Most renew fiver just out of inertia.

Who do you think should pay for the forum? Genuine question!

Who do you think should pay for the forum? Genuine question!

Well, I suppose in a way that's not my concern. I use about 15/20 other football forums, and none of them ask me to pay. So rightly or wrongly those forums have decided not to ask me to pay. They are no better or worse than this forum, so as a consumer five pounds may be minimal...but why am I going to pay it when I can get the exact same for free from multiple other forums?. I'm not saying this forum shouldn't charge btw..that's their prerogative..but as a consumer you can see why I would't be motivated to pay a fiver, when other sites have chosen to offer the same service for free. I'm just trying to add a constructive comment as to why this site may not be attracting many new members really, i'm not after a tear up :)

It's not the sum its the hassle of paying, I can't be arsed to work out how to pay and I'm sure potential new posters are the same.

You should try cancelling a recurring payment, absolute nightmare.

That all said, I'm struggling to understand what the overheads are for running a forum but 10p a week is literally pennies so if it's genuinely needed to maintain the site it's a small price.

so did I but ironically Keith’s site was far more tempestuous than this one, some really outrageous arguments and fallouts along with some extremely hilarious moments. Strangely, this forum has been cleaned up to such an extent that it has become sterile and over modded imo.

Correct. I remember it well.

We have to be careful, drive out the characters like Alpine and the site becomes sterile and bland.

TBH, the problem is when people get personal. IMO that normally means they have lost the argument.

On that bais I have won a lot of arguments over the years!

Correct. I remember it well.

We have to be careful, drive out the characters like Alpine and the site becomes sterile and bland.

TBH, the problem is when people get personal. IMO that normally means they have lost the argument.

On that bais I have won a lot of arguments over the years!

God I remember some epic arguments on Keiths site.

As you say, this whole infraction business is great, but they get dished out like Shane Long offsides.

RIP

You should try cancelling a recurring payment, absolute nightmare.

That all said, I'm struggling to understand what the overheads are for running a forum but 10p a week is literally pennies so if it's genuinely needed to maintain the site it's a small price.

Hosting on a decent, reliable server. I know the problems Steve and Baj had with the previous service and it was a case of either upgrade to a better service and start charging people, or shut it down and not bother with it any more.

Personally, I'm glad they opted for the former. For all its faults, this place is a lifeline for a long-distance fan like me to keep in touch with other Saints fans, as I rarely get to matches any more.

I joined just to talk about the footy and hopefully read the latest news and transfer talk but it seems nearly every thread goes off topic and people end up arguing. I wouldn't be surprised if that has something to do with it. People come here for footy gossip. If they want to be personally abused, they'll buy a saints ST instead