View Poll Results: MOTM vs Leicester (A)

Voters
291. You may not vote on this poll
  • McCarthy

    2 0.69%
  • Valery

    4 1.37%
  • Targett

    2 0.69%
  • Vestegaard

    44 15.12%
  • Bednerak

    62 21.31%
  • Stephens

    3 1.03%
  • Romeu

    122 41.92%
  • JWP

    9 3.09%
  • Long

    33 11.34%
  • Armstrong

    2 0.69%
  • Redmond

    5 1.72%
  • Cedric

    0 0%
  • Slattery

    0 0%
  • Gallagher

    3 1.03%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 257

Thread: Leicester 1 Saints 2 - Post Match Celebrations

  1. #101

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    18,354
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    washsaint is a mess.

  2. #102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gammon cheeks View Post
    Armstromg 4 ! You must have seen a different game to me then! .Played well and linked up with Long and Redmond superbly
    Agree. Wans't his best game but was key in our counter attacking in the first half that they couldn't really deal with.

    Brilliant defending 2nd half, all 5 defenders and Romeu excellent in particular.

    Redmond (first half) showed he is maturing into one of the best PL players outside the top 6 in his position.

    Big win - need at least 4 pts from the two home games now.

    (Bench showed we do need attacking reinforcements in the window).

  3. #103

    Default

    Is it ridiculous to hope this might trigger a change of tone in the forum? It was already clear that Ralph is doing an immense job. But looking back through the pre-match comments, I think there were only two half-hopeful comments... and one of those was mine. Called the score-line, crediting Romeu, JWP, Long, back 5 and Ralph. For one thing, it's a lot more enjoyable going into a game w some level of belief. No? I think there's scenario where we have an absolutely stonking second half of the season. Can't wait. And meanwhile, glass-half-full SaintsWeb community unite!!!

  4. #104

    Default

    Incredible result. Just shows the impact of having the right manager. Ralph has got us far better organised and the players clearly believe in him. Table looks a lot better tonight

    Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

  5. #105

    Default

    Shane Long's last 4 league goals have come under 4 different managers? Can that be right?

  6. #106

    Default

    Ralph Hasenhüttl has now matched the amount of league wins (3) that Mark Hughes had in his in entire tenure as Southampton manager, in just seven games.

    Levels #Saintsfc https://t.co/v4QCzNdNYk

    I never thought I would love a Ralph at Saints....

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  7. #107

    Default

    COYRAWM

    Great result great manager

  8. #108

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    1,892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    Puel sacked for being 7th?
    8th actually.

    A bit of symmetry if he is.

    Ralph certainly a better boss than we have had for a while. Obviously knows what he wants and ships out who doesn't fit quickly.
    This was, on paper, the hardest game of this little run so fingers crossed we might get a bit of distance on the bottom three over the next month or so.

  9. #109

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairy Oake / Block 13
    Posts
    718

    Default

    I know it was a heart attack waiting to happen - but did McCarthy actually have a save to make at 2-1?
    Nothing comes to mind.... that emphasises the defensive strength today!

  10. #110

    Default

    Excellent performance all round. Just goes to show you how a good manager can get players playing.

    God knows how Leicester are where they are. When it was 11vs 11 they looked awful. They have a nightmare run in of games coming up so wouldn't expect them to be in the top half for much longer.

    But well done Saints. Everyone looks as though they want to play as a team together. All talking and telling each other where to go, who to mark. We seriously missed that.

  11. #111

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    18,354
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wadesmith View Post
    Shane Long's last 4 league goals have come under 4 different managers? Can that be right?
    Yep it’s correct.

  12. #112

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    12,626

    Default

    Given the injury problems and the state of the squad that was a remarkable result. Early days but this manager looks a real find.

  13. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by washsaint View Post
    Fantastic backs to the wall performance.

    Targett gets a lot of hate on here from our resident experts but he was absolutely magnificent today.

    In terms of ratings mine would be:

    McCarthy 7 - excellent saves when needed but his distribution is terrible
    Valery 2 - hot headed, weak at the back and needs to learn quickly. Plenty of promise but not sure this is doing him any good
    Stephens 7 - solid, great communicator but possibly at fault for the goal ball watching and leaving the man open
    Bednarek 9 - how on earth did that moron Hughes sideline him completely? Immense
    Vestegaard 9 - best game in a Saints shirt
    Targett 8 - best game in a Saints shirt, blocked almost everything down his side
    JWP 8 - everywhere and has developed a real bite to his game. Glad he is proving the haters wrong
    Romeu 10 - unbelievable performance and was incredible. Again, how did that moron Hughes sideline him?
    Armstrong 4 - awful. Weak in the tackle, completely anonymous and poor passing. Not sure what he really offers but he was terrible today
    Redmond 7 - never stopped running even though he was never going to get any service when we went down to 10
    Long 8 - ran himself into the ground and played a role in both goals (reckon 2nd was OG as it was going miles wide)

    Subs
    Cedric 7 - should, in hindsight, have started
    Slattery 6 - helped shore up midfield
    Gallagher - not on long enough but will no doubt start midweek

    Ralph 100 - this guy is amazing. He has instilled belief and defensive discipline into a team sadly lacking either when he took over. Talk about sowing a silk purse out of a sows ear! Will be really interesting to see who he brings in in the summer. With Ralph here I think we will be comfortably mid-table and maybe, just maybe, top 10.
    Armstrong wasn't particularly great but 4 "awful" is clearly stretching it. Easily a 6. Otherwise decent summary 9/10.

  14. #114

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,115

    Default

    Ralph and the Saints are definitely going places.

  15. #115

    Default

    Romeu showing what a class act he is. Very pleased he’s back to his best

  16. #116

    Default

    Bloooooooooody hell! With those injuries, those suspensions, and with a man down for more than 45 minutes, what a monumental win that is. Frustrating as hell that we couldn't keep the ball for even one second in the second half, but it was all worth it in the end and a brilliant defensive performance all round.

    Oh, and Shane Long actually scored! Big thanks to Schmeichal for diverting the shot goalwards but we'll not mention that Shane

  17. #117

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gotham city
    Posts
    5,216

    Default

    no way in the world we would have left that game with points under hughes! I am happy to stick with RH even if we fall to relegation.......... RH is too good to stick around though!

  18. Default

    All praise going in the right places, but I hope Targett gets plenty of praise tonight, I thought he was absolutely brilliant after taking a bit of a hammering a few times this season. He's not Bertrand, but today he was so much better at stopping the cross and not getting turned by his man too easily. Really good contribution.

    Actually thought Valery was having a good start, getting forward and more adventurous than normal. It would've been a new experience for him, having rattled Chilwell completely and the fans getting on him and booing and calling him a cheat - it's probably the first time he's had that at pro level. I've no doubt this could be a huge moment in his career, sink or swim type stuff. I'm sure with Ralph at the helm he will handle it just fine, thankfully the result will mean it's minimised.

    Overall, 10/10 performance, really pleased for Targett, Long and JWP who all get a lot of stick but were all a huge part of the performance today. 3 CB's great and Romeu absolutely flawless.

  19. #119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St Chalet View Post
    I reckon that might also get Puel another pay off.
    Absolutely brilliant result! Even better that JWP and Shane scored as well! Last time I posted on here I was accused by the “world-class” Puel fan club of being a skate because I mentioned the highlight of the match was him hit in the face by a ball!

  20. #120

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,705

    Default

    LCFC fans are spitting feathers about Puel, and rightly so. Man is a fraud.

  21. #121

    Default

    We were pretty decent first half. Long won the penalty by going for it. Romeu was outstanding, Bednarek's goal clearance was vital but I gave MOM to Shane Long because he won the penalty and scored the second goal after we went down to ten men and gave us that vital cushion. He worked his socks off. It was a great backs to the wall defence for the last half hour. The whole team deserves massive praise for their character. Brilliant managing. For once we had a fair referee. Mike Oliver did a good job today.
    Last edited by derry; 12-01-2019 at 05:06 PM.

  22. #122

    Default

    Agree with all the comments about how good Vestergaard was too, an absolute beast. But how good is it to watch Redmond now? Completely different player under RaHa. Looks dangerous every time he has the ball.

  23. Default

    Shows what having a clear team shape and instructions can do to defenders, defending as team, everyone with their roles and the team actually playing as a unit.

    Said that was the issue under Hughes, not really the players, there was no way our squad was a bottom 3 premier league squad, maybe not challenging top 8 but it was solid mid table if they were managed properly and under Ralph they have shown that.

    No Lemina, Bertrand, Ings, Austin, Hojberg, but we still get a result, which in itself is amazing but it also shows the likes of JWP, Stephens, Cedric, Vestergaard etc. are nowhere near as bad as people were making out, they just needed a manager to get the team and them playing to their levels.

    What's that now, 10 points in 7 games? Including Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal in that run, stretch that over the season and it's around 50 points I believe which is solid mid table form.

  24. #124

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Swanmore (Near Fareham)
    Posts
    777

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Fred View Post
    8th actually.

    A bit of symmetry if he is.

    Ralph certainly a better boss than we have had for a while. Obviously knows what he wants and ships out who doesn't fit quickly.
    This was, on paper, the hardest game of this little run so fingers crossed we might get a bit of distance on the bottom three over the next month or so.
    It was like the pundits on tv were saying. Everyone looks at the table and thinks oh they are 7th, they must be doing well. Without the two fluke games against City and Chelsea their previous results were Newport: L, Everton: W, Cardiff: L, Palace: L, Spurs: L, Fulham: D.
    For me that type of run sums up Puel. He can't get a team playing consistent and when on the verge of dropping like a stone somehow manages to do something unexpected and get a result. I don't think he will have the same luck this time around though.

  25. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by St.JonB View Post
    Absolutely brilliant result! Even better that JWP and Shane scored as well! Last time I posted on here I was accused by the “world-class” Puel fan club of being a skate because I mentioned the highlight of the match was him hit in the face by a ball!
    Lol. Welcome back Jon

  26. Default

    Valery definitely showed his inexperience. He allowed Chillwell to get at him, didn’t shoot when well placed and then a rush of blood saw him push someone over. Ralph will chat with him, he’ll learn.

  27. #127

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Well North of the Wrekin
    Posts
    1,602

    Default

    Outstanding! At last we are committed and dedicated. Excellent leadership fromRalph with the lads on the pitch actually following his directives. Only negative for me was the provocation from certain Leicester players who, with a more assertive Ref would have been off the field. Valery has to learn and I'm sure Ralph will encourage him. Happy days again after the gloom of the Hughes era. Derby will be slaughtered on Wednesday and a lovely away trip to little old Accrington is most welcome.

  28. #128

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,740

    Default

    Ralph has improved us tactically but he has improved us even more mentally. I said a couple of weeks ago that Valery has a lot of potential but needs to toughen-up; he overdid it today, but you can see the mental toughness that Ralph is instilling across the squad.

    We look very good going forward, with intelligent movement and quick passing - taking the pass opening when it's there rather than over-thinking and turning back.

    Romeu was superb but quite a few were not far behind him, including Redmond - who was a brilliant one-man press, and the middle three at the back. JWP looks to have found his role - even if it is more a squad role than a starting role. Targett made one mistake (chose to go and double-mark someone JWP was already covering rather than picking up Ricardo) but otherwise played very well.

    I get the sense that Ralph has a better idea of implementing "the project" than anyone we've had so far, including Poch.

    And there's something about his personality that makes me think he might not want-out the first time a big club comes knocking.
    Last edited by CanadaSaint; 12-01-2019 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Typos

  29. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Benali View Post
    It was like the pundits on tv were saying. Everyone looks at the table and thinks oh they are 7th, they must be doing well. Without the two fluke games against City and Chelsea their previous results were Newport: L, Everton: W, Cardiff: L, Palace: L, Spurs: L, Fulham: D.
    For me that type of run sums up Puel. He can't get a team playing consistent and when on the verge of dropping like a stone somehow manages to do something unexpected and get a result. I don't think he will have the same luck this time around though.
    I think it actually shows that Puel is good at setting up teams to counter other teams tactically if those teams are the ones expected to win and attack, he did that for us and showed it in the league cup run.

    But when the emphasis is on his team to win and break down other teams, his football is too slow, and it's too negative, Puel teams don't get enough players into the box, pass to sideways etc.

    He is basically a French Pulis, who just plays passing football instead of more direct, he knows how to get his teams hard to beat and defensively solid as a unit but doesn't know how to get them to win games against teams that do that to him, which is why fans get on his back because at home against bottom half teams they expect more and both us under him and now leicester haven't done that.

  30. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Armstrong View Post
    We're always better after we have a full week on the training ground with Ralph. What a man.

    I love him already and it's gonna hurt like hell when he leaves. Great character into the bargain.
    This is the key to our wins under him so far (which, in retrospect, makes me worried for Everton) but I'm very happy tonight.

    Didn't expect it at all after the red card. The boys should take so much confidence from this.

    Hopefully we didn't pick up anymore injuries.

  31. #131

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    7,615

    Default

    4 points from Chelsea and Leicester away plus still in the cup, great couple weeks.

  32. #132

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    9,917

    Default

    Are we turning into an "away" team? Seems to suit the style/personnel


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  33. Default

    Chillwill played a blinder. Should have had a straight red, got away with it. Then got away with another shocking fouls and managed to rattle Valery enough to get him sent off. Glad we prevailed against the cheats. Vardy and Madison were diving all over the place.

  34. Default

    Great defensively, best defensive show since Anfield semi final.

    Hope the nipper learns from his sending off today, because he’s lucky the rest bailed him out.

    Clearly when it’s backs to the wall, the defensive unit will get the plaudits but Long & Redmond worked tirelessly and did their job. All 3 centre halves did well, but Vestergaard was magnificent. Oriol Romeu had his best game since Puel and arguably his best for the club.

    Recently I’ve felt increasingly detached from the players and their poor attitude. We had on paper an average match day squad today, but they did us proud. Amazing turnaround of the club by Ralph, it’s going to be fun whilst he’s here.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  35. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaSaint View Post
    Vardy and Madison were diving all over the place.

    As did Valery



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  36. #136

    Default

    Think that result puts to bed the whole Puel argument.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #137

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Go on, have a guess?
    Posts
    2,231

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by washsaint View Post
    Fantastic backs to the wall performance.

    Targett gets a lot of hate on here from our resident experts but he was absolutely magnificent today.

    In terms of ratings mine would be:

    McCarthy 7 - excellent saves when needed but his distribution is terrible
    Valery 2 - hot headed, weak at the back and needs to learn quickly. Plenty of promise but not sure this is doing him any good
    Stephens 7 - solid, great communicator but possibly at fault for the goal ball watching and leaving the man open
    Bednarek 9 - how on earth did that moron Hughes sideline him completely? Immense
    Vestegaard 9 - best game in a Saints shirt
    Targett 8 - best game in a Saints shirt, blocked almost everything down his side
    JWP 8 - everywhere and has developed a real bite to his game. Glad he is proving the haters wrong
    Romeu 10 - unbelievable performance and was incredible. Again, how did that moron Hughes sideline him?
    Armstrong 4 - awful. Weak in the tackle, completely anonymous and poor passing. Not sure what he really offers but he was terrible today
    Redmond 7 - never stopped running even though he was never going to get any service when we went down to 10
    Long 8 - ran himself into the ground and played a role in both goals (reckon 2nd was OG as it was going miles wide)

    Subs
    Cedric 7 - should, in hindsight, have started
    Slattery 6 - helped shore up midfield
    Gallagher - not on long enough but will no doubt start midweek

    Ralph 100 - this guy is amazing. He has instilled belief and defensive discipline into a team sadly lacking either when he took over. Talk about sowing a silk purse out of a sows ear! Will be really interesting to see who he brings in in the summer. With Ralph here I think we will be comfortably mid-table and maybe, just maybe, top 10.
    4 for Armstrong??? I suggest you watch a re-run of that 1st half!

  38. #138

    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Vancouver BC
    Posts
    197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Saint View Post
    Yes, of course, I'm ecstatic now, But Christ on a bike, that was such a hard game to watch given our talent for screwing up. I've aged so much I find myself somehow reincarnated as a newborn pigmy from Lewisham
    Very funny. Can relate. Still can't believe we held on to win that game.

    On a side note, presume the vote for Valery as MOTM was his mum?

  39. #139

    Default Leicester 1 Saints 2 - Post Match Celebrations

    For me Bednarek is the buy of the last few seasons. 5 million quid. Thought he was excellent today and has been since Ralph has come in.

    Has the tools to be a very very good centre back.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cabbage_Face; 12-01-2019 at 05:00 PM.

  40. #140

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    6,638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gammon cheeks View Post
    Armstromg 4 ! You must have seen a different game to me then! .Played well and linked up with Long and Redmond superbly
    Agreed. He played well.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  41. #141

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    12,155

    Default

    What a brilliant performance! What a turn around Hasenhuttl has produced. Had Hughes or the Clown fielded that team, made those substitutions, gone a player down, we would have been clobbered. Hasenhuttl managed to gain three vital points from that position and we rise up the table, heads held high. I can only guess that what he has brought to the team to change us so drastically is discipline, much increased fitness, and a load of self belief, combined with intelligent tactical nous.

    Leicester shot themselves in the foot early on, giving away a stupid foul when Long wasn't a threat in the corner of the box. Hasenhuttl deserves credit for picking him because we were short of other striking options and recognising that despite his lack of a scoring threat, he is a nuisance for defenders and has the pace needed to pose a threat with the ball out of defence and the speed to get back into defence against the pace of Vardy. Once having been awarded the penalty, it was very well taken by Ward-Prowse, even though Schmeichel got a hand to it.

    We dominated for much of that first half and Leicester looked out of sorts with poor passing and losing possession too easily. The game changer came just before half time, when Valery showed the impetuousness of youth and got himself sent off for a stupid second yellow card. So close to half time, it was expected that we would go in just one goal ahead, but Leicester's defence was caught on the hop by a good ball forward that Long chased down, won the rub of the green against their defender and his pace took him clear in the box with only Schmeichel to beat. Long's shot at a tight angle would have gone wide, but Schmeichel had tried to get something on it and the ball went in off his outstretched hand.

    Two - nil, a great unexpected cushion, but 45 minutes to hold on, a man down.

    We began to sit deep and early in the second half, Leicester pulled one back and it looked a real backs against the wall effort would be required to stop them drawing level, or indeed winning the match. When we had all our players back in defence, Leicester surged forward time after time, we hoofed the ball out of play or upfield where we had no players and it kept on coming back towards our defence. Hasenhuttl further reduced our forward impetus, but strengthened the defence by taking off Armstrong and putting on Cedric. Once again, this defence would have capitulated under Hughes or the Clown, but such is the discipline and determination that Hasenhuttl has brought to the team, they stood firm when there was so much time left in the match after Leicester scored that it seemed almost certain that they would have gone on to at least gain a draw.

    In retrospect, playing with ten players for 45 minutes and putting in such a solid defensive display is massive in terms of the confidence boost and belief it must have given the team. Vestergaard was immense and strong both in the air and on the ground and Bednarek was very good alongside him, Stephens solid. Valery had done well until his dismissal, as had Targett.

    Romeu takes most of the credit for being a rock in front of them, man of the match, and McCarthy was on his game behind them. Armstrong and Redmond battled hard up top with Long.

    When we are short of players like Ings, Lemina, Hojbjerg Yoshida and have shipped out Gabbiadini, it was an immense performance. What is encouraging is that Hasenhuttl has felt enough confidence to blood some of the youngsters since his arrival and today Valery, Slattery and at the end Gallagher was lovely to see.

    It is still early days, but the upward progress that is evident, instills the belief that we will see out this season comfortably if we continue like this, and we will have a lot to look forward to when Hasenhuttl has brought in one or two players of his choice.

  42. #142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I bottled the whole of the second half. I've only just come out of the cupboard under the stairs....!

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Like watching doctor who when you’re a kid

  43. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Tender View Post
    What a brilliant performance! What a turn around Hasenhuttl has produced. Had Hughes or the Clown fielded that team, made those substitutions, gone a player down, we would have been clobbered. Hasenhuttl managed to gain three vital points from that position and we rise up the table, heads held high. I can only guess that what he has brought to the team to change us so drastically is discipline, much increased fitness, and a load of self belief, combined with intelligent tactical nous.

    Leicester shot themselves in the foot early on, giving away a stupid foul when Long wasn't a threat in the corner of the box. Hasenhuttl deserves credit for picking him because we were short of other striking options and recognising that despite his lack of a scoring threat, he is a nuisance for defenders and has the pace needed to pose a threat with the ball out of defence and the speed to get back into defence against the pace of Vardy. Once having been awarded the penalty, it was very well taken by Ward-Prowse, even though Schmeichel got a hand to it.

    We dominated for much of that first half and Leicester looked out of sorts with poor passing and losing possession too easily. The game changer came just before half time, when Valery showed the impetuousness of youth and got himself sent off for a stupid second yellow card. So close to half time, it was expected that we would go in just one goal ahead, but Leicester's defence was caught on the hop by a good ball forward that Long chased down, won the rub of the green against their defender and his pace took him clear in the box with only Schmeichel to beat. Long's shot at a tight angle would have gone wide, but Schmeichel had tried to get something on it and the ball went in off his outstretched hand.

    Two - nil, a great unexpected cushion, but 45 minutes to hold on, a man down.

    We began to sit deep and early in the second half, Leicester pulled one back and it looked a real backs against the wall effort would be required to stop them drawing level, or indeed winning the match. When we had all our players back in defence, Leicester surged forward time after time, we hoofed the ball out of play or upfield where we had no players and it kept on coming back towards our defence. Hasenhuttl further reduced our forward impetus, but strengthened the defence by taking off Armstrong and putting on Cedric. Once again, this defence would have capitulated under Hughes or the Clown, but such is the discipline and determination that Hasenhuttl has brought to the team, they stood firm when there was so much time left in the match after Leicester scored that it seemed almost certain that they would have gone on to at least gain a draw.

    In retrospect, playing with ten players for 45 minutes and putting in such a solid defensive display is massive in terms of the confidence boost and belief it must have given the team. Vestergaard was immense and strong both in the air and on the ground and Bednarek was very good alongside him, Stephens solid. Valery had done well until his dismissal, as had Targett.

    Romeu takes most of the credit for being a rock in front of them, man of the match, and McCarthy was on his game behind them. Armstrong and Redmond battled hard up top with Long.

    When we are short of players like Ings, Lemina, Hojbjerg Yoshida and have shipped out Gabbiadini, it was an immense performance. What is encouraging is that Hasenhuttl has felt enough confidence to blood some of the youngsters since his arrival and today Valery, Slattery and at the end Gallagher was lovely to see.

    It is still early days, but the upward progress that is evident, instills the belief that we will see out this season comfortably if we continue like this, and we will have a lot to look forward to when Hasenhuttl has brought in one or two players of his choice.
    A good read. I always enjoy your match reports.

  44. #144

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    6,638

    Default

    Agree totally with Wes Tender. Awesome performance.

    My nerves were shredded second half, yet strangely, I was confident we would hang on.

    It was the collective determination of the whole team that got the result. And that has been instilled by Ralph. Brilliant.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  45. #145

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Camden, London
    Posts
    9,917

    Default

    Newcastle above us at moment. Sorry.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  46. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    Newcastle above us at moment. Sorry.
    Typical Chelsea.

  47. #147

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you. Now, stop touching that.
    Posts
    12,501
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micky View Post
    I bottled the whole of the second half. I've only just come out of the cupboard under the stairs....!

    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    Like watching doctor who when you’re a kid
    We obviously had different experiences. As with both this match and watching Dr. Who's companions, I just masturbated furiously at the end.

  48. #148

    Default

    Fantastic win, and what a run of results under Ralph. I've done an almost 180 deg turn from being convinced that we're going down to thinking we're almost certain to stay up. such is the guy's impact.

    We punched above our weight with him, IMO he's a top 6 manager.

  49. #149

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    3,121
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Just getting up in NZ. Called a saints win in the pre match thread. Delighted none the less. Sounds like a solid performance. And good games from long and JWP, along with romeu and bednarek.
    Last edited by Saint86; 12-01-2019 at 07:25 PM.

  50. #150

    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    3,929

    Default

    Romeu was immense today. I’m so happy to see him playing this well for Hasenhüttl. Great energy levels. Reminds me of how he played under Puel. The team did very well defensively in the second half. Hasenhüttl has toughened them up and got them well-organized. Vestergaard looks so much better, and Bednarek is turning into an excellent central defender. The defending is much better now under Hasenhüttl. And kudos to the much-maligned Long for being responsible for both Saints goals. I also liked JWP’s performance - I saw a good bit of pressing and aggression from him, but I think it was JWP who inadvertently blocked the Saints clearance leading up to Valery’s sending off.

    Leicester were exceptionally poor in the first half. They looked like a team of strangers at times. Reading some of the comments from Leicester supporters when their line-up was announced, they were annoyed that Puel went with three defensive midfielders.

    Now if Chelsea could please pull their finger out and finish off Newcastle, that would be great.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •