• Romeu
    • JWP
    • Long
    • Armstrong
    • Redmond
    • Cedric
    • Slattery
    • Gallagher

Armstromg 4 ! You must have seen a different game to me then! .Played well and linked up with Long and Redmond superbly
Agree. Wans't his best game but was key in our counter attacking in the first half that they couldn't really deal with.

Brilliant defending 2nd half, all 5 defenders and Romeu excellent in particular.

Redmond (first half) showed he is maturing into one of the best PL players outside the top 6 in his position.

Big win - need at least 4 pts from the two home games now.

(Bench showed we do need attacking reinforcements in the window).

Is it ridiculous to hope this might trigger a change of tone in the forum? It was already clear that Ralph is doing an immense job. But looking back through the pre-match comments, I think there were only two half-hopeful comments... and one of those was mine. Called the score-line, crediting Romeu, JWP, Long, back 5 and Ralph. For one thing, it's a lot more enjoyable going into a game w some level of belief. No? I think there's scenario where we have an absolutely stonking second half of the season. Can't wait. And meanwhile, glass-half-full SaintsWeb community unite!!!

Puel sacked for being 7th?

8th actually.

A bit of symmetry if he is.

Ralph certainly a better boss than we have had for a while. Obviously knows what he wants and ships out who doesn't fit quickly.

This was, on paper, the hardest game of this little run so fingers crossed we might get a bit of distance on the bottom three over the next month or so.

Excellent performance all round. Just goes to show you how a good manager can get players playing.

God knows how Leicester are where they are. When it was 11vs 11 they looked awful. They have a nightmare run in of games coming up so wouldn't expect them to be in the top half for much longer.

But well done Saints. Everyone looks as though they want to play as a team together. All talking and telling each other where to go, who to mark. We seriously missed that.

Fantastic backs to the wall performance.

Targett gets a lot of hate on here from our resident experts but he was absolutely magnificent today.

In terms of ratings mine would be:

McCarthy 7 - excellent saves when needed but his distribution is terrible

Valery 2 - hot headed, weak at the back and needs to learn quickly. Plenty of promise but not sure this is doing him any good

Stephens 7 - solid, great communicator but possibly at fault for the goal ball watching and leaving the man open

Bednarek 9 - how on earth did that moron Hughes sideline him completely? Immense

Vestegaard 9 - best game in a Saints shirt

Targett 8 - best game in a Saints shirt, blocked almost everything down his side

JWP 8 - everywhere and has developed a real bite to his game. Glad he is proving the haters wrong

Romeu 10 - unbelievable performance and was incredible. Again, how did that moron Hughes sideline him?

Armstrong 4 - awful. Weak in the tackle, completely anonymous and poor passing. Not sure what he really offers but he was terrible today

Redmond 7 - never stopped running even though he was never going to get any service when we went down to 10

Long 8 - ran himself into the ground and played a role in both goals (reckon 2nd was OG as it was going miles wide)

Subs

Cedric 7 - should, in hindsight, have started

Slattery 6 - helped shore up midfield

Gallagher - not on long enough but will no doubt start midweek

Ralph 100 - this guy is amazing. He has instilled belief and defensive discipline into a team sadly lacking either when he took over. Talk about sowing a silk purse out of a sows ear! Will be really interesting to see who he brings in in the summer. With Ralph here I think we will be comfortably mid-table and maybe, just maybe, top 10.

Armstrong wasn't particularly great but 4 "awful" is clearly stretching it. Easily a 6. Otherwise decent summary 9/10.

Bloooooooooody hell! With those injuries, those suspensions, and with a man down for more than 45 minutes, what a monumental win that is. Frustrating as hell that we couldn't keep the ball for even one second in the second half, but it was all worth it in the end and a brilliant defensive performance all round.

Oh, and Shane Long actually scored! Big thanks to Schmeichal for diverting the shot goalwards but we'll not mention that Shane ;)

All praise going in the right places, but I hope Targett gets plenty of praise tonight, I thought he was absolutely brilliant after taking a bit of a hammering a few times this season. He's not Bertrand, but today he was so much better at stopping the cross and not getting turned by his man too easily. Really good contribution.

Actually thought Valery was having a good start, getting forward and more adventurous than normal. It would've been a new experience for him, having rattled Chilwell completely and the fans getting on him and booing and calling him a cheat - it's probably the first time he's had that at pro level. I've no doubt this could be a huge moment in his career, sink or swim type stuff. I'm sure with Ralph at the helm he will handle it just fine, thankfully the result will mean it's minimised.

Overall, 10/10 performance, really pleased for Targett, Long and JWP who all get a lot of stick but were all a huge part of the performance today. 3 CB's great and Romeu absolutely flawless.

I reckon that might also get Puel another pay off.

Absolutely brilliant result! Even better that JWP and Shane scored as well! Last time I posted on here I was accused by the “world-class” Puel fan club of being a skate because I mentioned the highlight of the match was him hit in the face by a ball!

We were pretty decent first half. Long won the penalty by going for it. Romeu was outstanding, Bednarek's goal clearance was vital but I gave MOM to Shane Long because he won the penalty and scored the second goal after we went down to ten men and gave us that vital cushion. He worked his socks off. It was a great backs to the wall defence for the last half hour. The whole team deserves massive praise for their character. Brilliant managing. For once we had a fair referee. Mike Oliver did a good job today.

Edited by derry

Shows what having a clear team shape and instructions can do to defenders, defending as team, everyone with their roles and the team actually playing as a unit.

Said that was the issue under Hughes, not really the players, there was no way our squad was a bottom 3 premier league squad, maybe not challenging top 8 but it was solid mid table if they were managed properly and under Ralph they have shown that.

No Lemina, Bertrand, Ings, Austin, Hojberg, but we still get a result, which in itself is amazing but it also shows the likes of JWP, Stephens, Cedric, Vestergaard etc. are nowhere near as bad as people were making out, they just needed a manager to get the team and them playing to their levels.

What's that now, 10 points in 7 games? Including Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal in that run, stretch that over the season and it's around 50 points I believe which is solid mid table form.

8th actually.

A bit of symmetry if he is.

Ralph certainly a better boss than we have had for a while. Obviously knows what he wants and ships out who doesn't fit quickly.

This was, on paper, the hardest game of this little run so fingers crossed we might get a bit of distance on the bottom three over the next month or so.

It was like the pundits on tv were saying. Everyone looks at the table and thinks oh they are 7th, they must be doing well. Without the two fluke games against City and Chelsea their previous results were Newport: L, Everton: W, Cardiff: L, Palace: L, Spurs: L, Fulham: D.

For me that type of run sums up Puel. He can't get a team playing consistent and when on the verge of dropping like a stone somehow manages to do something unexpected and get a result. I don't think he will have the same luck this time around though.

Absolutely brilliant result! Even better that JWP and Shane scored as well! Last time I posted on here I was accused by the “world-class” Puel fan club of being a skate because I mentioned the highlight of the match was him hit in the face by a ball!

Lol. Welcome back Jon

Outstanding! At last we are committed and dedicated. Excellent leadership fromRalph with the lads on the pitch actually following his directives. Only negative for me was the provocation from certain Leicester players who, with a more assertive Ref would have been off the field. Valery has to learn and I'm sure Ralph will encourage him. Happy days again after the gloom of the Hughes era. Derby will be slaughtered on Wednesday and a lovely away trip to little old Accrington is most welcome.

Ralph has improved us tactically but he has improved us even more mentally. I said a couple of weeks ago that Valery has a lot of potential but needs to toughen-up; he overdid it today, but you can see the mental toughness that Ralph is instilling across the squad.

We look very good going forward, with intelligent movement and quick passing - taking the pass opening when it's there rather than over-thinking and turning back.

Romeu was superb but quite a few were not far behind him, including Redmond - who was a brilliant one-man press, and the middle three at the back. JWP looks to have found his role - even if it is more a squad role than a starting role. Targett made one mistake (chose to go and double-mark someone JWP was already covering rather than picking up Ricardo) but otherwise played very well.

I get the sense that Ralph has a better idea of implementing "the project" than anyone we've had so far, including Poch.

And there's something about his personality that makes me think he might not want-out the first time a big club comes knocking.

Edited by CanadaSaint
Typos

It was like the pundits on tv were saying. Everyone looks at the table and thinks oh they are 7th, they must be doing well. Without the two fluke games against City and Chelsea their previous results were Newport: L, Everton: W, Cardiff: L, Palace: L, Spurs: L, Fulham: D.

For me that type of run sums up Puel. He can't get a team playing consistent and when on the verge of dropping like a stone somehow manages to do something unexpected and get a result. I don't think he will have the same luck this time around though.

I think it actually shows that Puel is good at setting up teams to counter other teams tactically if those teams are the ones expected to win and attack, he did that for us and showed it in the league cup run.

But when the emphasis is on his team to win and break down other teams, his football is too slow, and it's too negative, Puel teams don't get enough players into the box, pass to sideways etc.

He is basically a French Pulis, who just plays passing football instead of more direct, he knows how to get his teams hard to beat and defensively solid as a unit but doesn't know how to get them to win games against teams that do that to him, which is why fans get on his back because at home against bottom half teams they expect more and both us under him and now leicester haven't done that.

We're always better after we have a full week on the training ground with Ralph. What a man.

I love him already and it's gonna hurt like hell when he leaves. Great character into the bargain.

This is the key to our wins under him so far (which, in retrospect, makes me worried for Everton) but I'm very happy tonight.

Didn't expect it at all after the red card. The boys should take so much confidence from this.

Hopefully we didn't pick up anymore injuries.

Chillwill played a blinder. Should have had a straight red, got away with it. Then got away with another shocking fouls and managed to rattle Valery enough to get him sent off. Glad we prevailed against the cheats. Vardy and Madison were diving all over the place.

Great defensively, best defensive show since Anfield semi final.

Hope the nipper learns from his sending off today, because he’s lucky the rest bailed him out.

Clearly when it’s backs to the wall, the defensive unit will get the plaudits but Long & Redmond worked tirelessly and did their job. All 3 centre halves did well, but Vestergaard was magnificent. Oriol Romeu had his best game since Puel and arguably his best for the club.

Recently I’ve felt increasingly detached from the players and their poor attitude. We had on paper an average match day squad today, but they did us proud. Amazing turnaround of the club by Ralph, it’s going to be fun whilst he’s here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fantastic backs to the wall performance.

Targett gets a lot of hate on here from our resident experts but he was absolutely magnificent today.

In terms of ratings mine would be:

McCarthy 7 - excellent saves when needed but his distribution is terrible

Valery 2 - hot headed, weak at the back and needs to learn quickly. Plenty of promise but not sure this is doing him any good

Stephens 7 - solid, great communicator but possibly at fault for the goal ball watching and leaving the man open

Bednarek 9 - how on earth did that moron Hughes sideline him completely? Immense

Vestegaard 9 - best game in a Saints shirt

Targett 8 - best game in a Saints shirt, blocked almost everything down his side

JWP 8 - everywhere and has developed a real bite to his game. Glad he is proving the haters wrong

Romeu 10 - unbelievable performance and was incredible. Again, how did that moron Hughes sideline him?

Armstrong 4 - awful. Weak in the tackle, completely anonymous and poor passing. Not sure what he really offers but he was terrible today

Redmond 7 - never stopped running even though he was never going to get any service when we went down to 10

Long 8 - ran himself into the ground and played a role in both goals (reckon 2nd was OG as it was going miles wide)

Subs

Cedric 7 - should, in hindsight, have started

Slattery 6 - helped shore up midfield

Gallagher - not on long enough but will no doubt start midweek

Ralph 100 - this guy is amazing. He has instilled belief and defensive discipline into a team sadly lacking either when he took over. Talk about sowing a silk purse out of a sows ear! Will be really interesting to see who he brings in in the summer. With Ralph here I think we will be comfortably mid-table and maybe, just maybe, top 10.

4 for Armstrong??? I suggest you watch a re-run of that 1st half!

Yes, of course, I'm ecstatic now, But Christ on a bike, that was such a hard game to watch given our talent for screwing up. I've aged so much I find myself somehow reincarnated as a newborn pigmy from Lewisham

Very funny. Can relate. Still can't believe we held on to win that game.

On a side note, presume the vote for Valery as MOTM was his mum?

What a brilliant performance! What a turn around Hasenhuttl has produced. Had Hughes or the Clown fielded that team, made those substitutions, gone a player down, we would have been clobbered. Hasenhuttl managed to gain three vital points from that position and we rise up the table, heads held high. I can only guess that what he has brought to the team to change us so drastically is discipline, much increased fitness, and a load of self belief, combined with intelligent tactical nous.

Leicester shot themselves in the foot early on, giving away a stupid foul when Long wasn't a threat in the corner of the box. Hasenhuttl deserves credit for picking him because we were short of other striking options and recognising that despite his lack of a scoring threat, he is a nuisance for defenders and has the pace needed to pose a threat with the ball out of defence and the speed to get back into defence against the pace of Vardy. Once having been awarded the penalty, it was very well taken by Ward-Prowse, even though Schmeichel got a hand to it.

We dominated for much of that first half and Leicester looked out of sorts with poor passing and losing possession too easily. The game changer came just before half time, when Valery showed the impetuousness of youth and got himself sent off for a stupid second yellow card. So close to half time, it was expected that we would go in just one goal ahead, but Leicester's defence was caught on the hop by a good ball forward that Long chased down, won the rub of the green against their defender and his pace took him clear in the box with only Schmeichel to beat. Long's shot at a tight angle would have gone wide, but Schmeichel had tried to get something on it and the ball went in off his outstretched hand.

Two - nil, a great unexpected cushion, but 45 minutes to hold on, a man down.

We began to sit deep and early in the second half, Leicester pulled one back and it looked a real backs against the wall effort would be required to stop them drawing level, or indeed winning the match. When we had all our players back in defence, Leicester surged forward time after time, we hoofed the ball out of play or upfield where we had no players and it kept on coming back towards our defence. Hasenhuttl further reduced our forward impetus, but strengthened the defence by taking off Armstrong and putting on Cedric. Once again, this defence would have capitulated under Hughes or the Clown, but such is the discipline and determination that Hasenhuttl has brought to the team, they stood firm when there was so much time left in the match after Leicester scored that it seemed almost certain that they would have gone on to at least gain a draw.

In retrospect, playing with ten players for 45 minutes and putting in such a solid defensive display is massive in terms of the confidence boost and belief it must have given the team. Vestergaard was immense and strong both in the air and on the ground and Bednarek was very good alongside him, Stephens solid. Valery had done well until his dismissal, as had Targett.

Romeu takes most of the credit for being a rock in front of them, man of the match, and McCarthy was on his game behind them. Armstrong and Redmond battled hard up top with Long.

When we are short of players like Ings, Lemina, Hojbjerg Yoshida and have shipped out Gabbiadini, it was an immense performance. What is encouraging is that Hasenhuttl has felt enough confidence to blood some of the youngsters since his arrival and today Valery, Slattery and at the end Gallagher was lovely to see.

It is still early days, but the upward progress that is evident, instills the belief that we will see out this season comfortably if we continue like this, and we will have a lot to look forward to when Hasenhuttl has brought in one or two players of his choice.

What a brilliant performance! What a turn around Hasenhuttl has produced. Had Hughes or the Clown fielded that team, made those substitutions, gone a player down, we would have been clobbered. Hasenhuttl managed to gain three vital points from that position and we rise up the table, heads held high. I can only guess that what he has brought to the team to change us so drastically is discipline, much increased fitness, and a load of self belief, combined with intelligent tactical nous.

Leicester shot themselves in the foot early on, giving away a stupid foul when Long wasn't a threat in the corner of the box. Hasenhuttl deserves credit for picking him because we were short of other striking options and recognising that despite his lack of a scoring threat, he is a nuisance for defenders and has the pace needed to pose a threat with the ball out of defence and the speed to get back into defence against the pace of Vardy. Once having been awarded the penalty, it was very well taken by Ward-Prowse, even though Schmeichel got a hand to it.

We dominated for much of that first half and Leicester looked out of sorts with poor passing and losing possession too easily. The game changer came just before half time, when Valery showed the impetuousness of youth and got himself sent off for a stupid second yellow card. So close to half time, it was expected that we would go in just one goal ahead, but Leicester's defence was caught on the hop by a good ball forward that Long chased down, won the rub of the green against their defender and his pace took him clear in the box with only Schmeichel to beat. Long's shot at a tight angle would have gone wide, but Schmeichel had tried to get something on it and the ball went in off his outstretched hand.

Two - nil, a great unexpected cushion, but 45 minutes to hold on, a man down.

We began to sit deep and early in the second half, Leicester pulled one back and it looked a real backs against the wall effort would be required to stop them drawing level, or indeed winning the match. When we had all our players back in defence, Leicester surged forward time after time, we hoofed the ball out of play or upfield where we had no players and it kept on coming back towards our defence. Hasenhuttl further reduced our forward impetus, but strengthened the defence by taking off Armstrong and putting on Cedric. Once again, this defence would have capitulated under Hughes or the Clown, but such is the discipline and determination that Hasenhuttl has brought to the team, they stood firm when there was so much time left in the match after Leicester scored that it seemed almost certain that they would have gone on to at least gain a draw.

In retrospect, playing with ten players for 45 minutes and putting in such a solid defensive display is massive in terms of the confidence boost and belief it must have given the team. Vestergaard was immense and strong both in the air and on the ground and Bednarek was very good alongside him, Stephens solid. Valery had done well until his dismissal, as had Targett.

Romeu takes most of the credit for being a rock in front of them, man of the match, and McCarthy was on his game behind them. Armstrong and Redmond battled hard up top with Long.

When we are short of players like Ings, Lemina, Hojbjerg Yoshida and have shipped out Gabbiadini, it was an immense performance. What is encouraging is that Hasenhuttl has felt enough confidence to blood some of the youngsters since his arrival and today Valery, Slattery and at the end Gallagher was lovely to see.

It is still early days, but the upward progress that is evident, instills the belief that we will see out this season comfortably if we continue like this, and we will have a lot to look forward to when Hasenhuttl has brought in one or two players of his choice.

A good read. I always enjoy your match reports.

Agree totally with Wes Tender. Awesome performance.

My nerves were shredded second half, yet strangely, I was confident we would hang on.

It was the collective determination of the whole team that got the result. And that has been instilled by Ralph. Brilliant.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I bottled the whole of the second half. I've only just come out of the cupboard under the stairs....!

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Like watching doctor who when you’re a kid

We obviously had different experiences. As with both this match and watching Dr. Who's companions, I just masturbated furiously at the end.

Fantastic win, and what a run of results under Ralph. I've done an almost 180 deg turn from being convinced that we're going down to thinking we're almost certain to stay up. such is the guy's impact.

We punched above our weight with him, IMO he's a top 6 manager.

Romeu was immense today. I’m so happy to see him playing this well for Hasenhüttl. Great energy levels. Reminds me of how he played under Puel. The team did very well defensively in the second half. Hasenhüttl has toughened them up and got them well-organized. Vestergaard looks so much better, and Bednarek is turning into an excellent central defender. The defending is much better now under Hasenhüttl. And kudos to the much-maligned Long for being responsible for both Saints goals. I also liked JWP’s performance - I saw a good bit of pressing and aggression from him, but I think it was JWP who inadvertently blocked the Saints clearance leading up to Valery’s sending off.

Leicester were exceptionally poor in the first half. They looked like a team of strangers at times. Reading some of the comments from Leicester supporters when their line-up was announced, they were annoyed that Puel went with three defensive midfielders.

Now if Chelsea could please pull their finger out and finish off Newcastle, that would be great.