Saints vs Derby - FA Cup 3rd Round Replay Thread

SuperSAINT

Really annoyed at Redmond missing that penalty. The amount of times he gets his foot under the ball and lofts it is criminal for a pro player, and to do it in a penalty is infuriating. Ffs someone teach him how to kick the damn ball.

As for Ely, worst player on the park, what the hell, how is he getting game time?.

Have to agree with you on the last comment

Elyonoussi was abysmal.

Thought there may be a decent player in there somewhere trying to get out but last night, against weakened Championship opposition, he was rank.

How on earth we 'tracked him for some time' (according to Less Reed) and shelled out £15m for a player who has contributed zilch since he has been here is beyond comprehension.

Mind you playing with him and Shane Long in the same team is never likely to work well

Relived the nightmare of the Best and Idiakiz penalties against the Rams again. Trouble is that we have wasted 210 mins in the FA Cup, have become tired and will, no doubt, have picked up injuries (Long) so do not feel so confident against Everton now as I did before this game.

I can't believe (well actually, I can) that there are people on here writing off Gallagher on the basis of a 2nd half sub appearance in a disjointed and poor team after a long injury layoff. Just shows the mentality of this place sometimes.

I counted three occasions where he got the ball in a good area and made a direct run at the defence. OK it didn't come off for him each time, but one of them drew a foul and a FK in a dangerous area. You can see he has pace and power, and his ball control is infinitely better than Long's. Having seen some of the goals he scored for Blackburn, he's obviously got a decent shot on him as well.

Even on that showing I would have him ahead of Austin in the pecking order right now.

Crap way to lose, having been 2 up in both legs. Really shouldn’t be giving away leads still but I have to say I’m not overly bothered.

A huge majority of the players that started today won’t be featuring week in week out in the league & we were missing our top players (Ings, Hoijberg, Lemina, Yoshida, Bednerak). That’s the spine of our team right there. Then add into extra injuries and suspensions to people like Austin, Obafemi, Valery, and we end up with a team that’s pretty mushed together. Give it a couple of weeks and we’ll be playing a team unrecognisable to what we saw last night.

Move on, we’ll be over this pretty quickly!

Crap way to lose, having been 2 up in both legs. Really shouldn’t be giving away leads still but I have to say I’m not overly bothered.

A huge majority of the players that started today won’t be featuring week in week out in the league & we were missing our top players (Ings, Hoijberg, Lemina, Yoshida, Bednerak). That’s the spine of our team right there. Then add into extra injuries and suspensions to people like Austin, Obafemi, Valery, and we end up with a team that’s pretty mushed together. Give it a couple of weeks and we’ll be playing a team unrecognisable to what we saw last night.

Move on, we’ll be over this pretty quickly!

I was told Derby put out pretty much their strongest team last night and our second string was pretty evenly matched to them. Only Vest, Armstrong, Redmond and Romeu where first choice best 11 players out there last night everyone else was back up and kids. I was surprised we did as well as we did to be honest.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Have to say the effort wasn’t really there last night. Derby closed down more, busy a gut to get forward on the break and wanted it more. First half again we did not press nearly as much as Derby and we didn’t get players busting a gut to get into the box during our sttacks.

Second half we often had too many players ahead of the ball - lazy play with little effort to track back. We see what happens when we apply maximum effort we do very well but when we don’t apply that effort we lose.

It’s as though Ralph took his eye off the ball last night. Admittedly however he had four or five players who were seriously short on the required skill and effort levels last night.

On the goalkeeping front, are we seeing another decent keeper in Gunn being totaly messed up with poor coaching at the club? The club reallydo need to address this matter. Our goelkeeper coaching is obviously not good enough.

I cant complain about the result aa I think Derby deserved that, as painful as it is to say. While recognising he was on a yellow card I thought it was premature to take Johnson off who had some bright moments including a cracking cross for Long to fail to convert. Best player for me was JWP, albeit as others have noted he tired badly in extra time, and Redmond added a lot when he came on. Also thought Cedric (playing on left), Vest and Stephens did ok.

But generally it was a bit frantic and disorganised which mass changes often produce. What a missed opportunity given Accrington away to have made the fifth round.

My take is that both goals came from Cedrics side.

McCarthy is our no1 keeper

Stupid free kick given for their first goal

Having only a 2 man wall when we know the loanee always shoots was a mistake.

When we are in the lead our defensive midfielders cannot keep the opposition at bay.

That the pundits know sfa, if a player is offside he's offside no matter how close, similar to goal line technology the ball is either over or not. May as well say 'well it nearly crossed the line and so its a goal'

Of course the media love Frank and so they want him to win.

Overall we had a very weakened team, something that was not really pointed out. Wheras they had a full team out, if they go up what are they going to do to get a team together!!!!! All their stars are from other clubs.

Disappointed in losing as we had a 2 goal lead, but as always we just seem to let the other side in with a soft goal.

I think appoint against Everton is the best we can hope for

As for goalkeepeing coach, it was interesting to see that the Derby coach was going through where we took pens in the past on his ipad, wheras I assume was dishing out bottles of drink and Gunn was left to his own devices.

The Derby keeper kept going the wrong way and so perhaps the info was rubbish anyway

As for goalkeepeing coach, it was interesting to see that the Derby coach was going through where we took pens in the past on his ipad, wheras I assume was dishing out bottles of drink and Gunn was left to his own devices.

The Derby keeper kept going the wrong way and so perhaps the info was rubbish anyway

A better option for both keepers last night was to play a game of ‘Avoid getting hit by the ball.’

Reckon both would of accidentally saved three each.

In the cold light of day, I'm annoyed that we lost as we were the better team, which was quite an achievement with so many players out.

I disagree with comments above: we pressed far better than them in the first half hour and made chances. Shane should have put his chance away, but it was a good save and we were very unlucky the rebound didn't fall to any of the three Saints in front of goal.

But the pressing faded and we let them have too much time on the ball.

Once we scored the second (cool by Redmond) I thought we'd close the game down, maybe bringing Bednarek on, but they got one back too quickly. Some around me thought it was a soft free kick, but they got plenty of them.

The setup to defend it was obviously wrong but it happens that shots like that go through.

I was more annoyed about the second. No real pressure on the cross and the CBs need to do better.

Overall JWP, Armstrong and Romeu good. Redmond dangerous except from 12 yards although it he'd squared the ball instead of blasting it at the keeper in ET, we'd gave won. With more composure Long would gave had two.

Except for the second goal, CBs ok but much stronger with Bednarek.

And the youngsters all acquitted themselves well. For me, Johnson the best.

I don't like jumping on the criticism of any Saints player, but Elyounoussi really was poor and looked lost. Too slow and hesitant, poor pass selection and execution. One or two better moments, but unless he finds speed, confidence and skill from somewhere, I can't see him in plans.

On to Everton, which is more important.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I hate midweek football, extra time , pens plus the hours time difference always means a bad nights kip!

A draw was a fair result, but not when you are 2 nil up with 20 to go!

Valery and Ramsay have promise, but I don't wan't to just the pair of them covering right back until the end of the season.

Redmond transformed the team when he came on. We need to sign another pacy forward this window to give us cover/options.

Mo's cross for the first goal showed that there is something in there, but he needs more coaching to get it out of him.

It is good that the youngsters are being given a chance, but it is a bit much to put them in a team with so many bench warmers in it.

Sorry for everyone that was hoping to get Stanley of off there 92 list, but hopefully we can use the break for some intensive Ralphing.

While recognising he was on a yellow card I thought it was premature to take Johnson off who had some bright moments including a cracking cross for Long to fail to convert.

Agree that Johnson had an excellent game and put a few really good crosses in, but I thought taking him off was the right decision. He looked nailed on for a second yellow to me, you could tell he was snapping at everything in his enthusiasm but looks a very, very good prospect. I thought Ramsay looked promising too as he grew into the game.

Fair play to the Forrest fan in the Saints end & taking about 5 stewards to get him out :)

For some reason There was a bloke in a forest shirt in the saints end, at the Hapoel Be’er Sheva away game... wonder if it’s the same bloke.

Disappointed to go out on penalties yet again to Derby but not overly concerned. Ralph seems to know what he is doing and I for one am glad that he is giving our youngsters a chance rather than signing unknowns. How many former or current academy players were on the pitch last night? I made it 7 with JWP, Stephens, Targett, Ramsay, Johnson, Gallagher and Slattery. That's pretty impressive and to hold Derby to 2-2 with all their experience shows that we are doing something right. He's taking a good look at the squad and by including them in his plans gives them all something to aim at. We've not got a bad squad and I am pretty certain that we will be pulling clear of relegation fairly soon without splashing out millions on new signings.

Yeah big guy .

To be honest there were some right idiots in the itchen north last night!

I was stood next to a guy who spent most of the game giving the Derby fans evil looks while constantly calling them Northern ****s under his breath seemed like he had some anger issues.

I was stood next to a guy who spent most of the game giving the Derby fans evil looks while constantly calling them Northern ****s under his breath seemed like he had some anger issues.

Was that the p*ssed up nipper in the orange workmans trousers & carrying large bag? he was warned by the stewards half way through the first half, then spent rest of the game standing up giving it large to the Derby fans. Was very funny seeing a large number of stewards piling into him in the Itchen North concourse after the game :)

In the cold light of day, I'm annoyed that we lost as we were the better team, which was quite an achievement with so many players out.

I disagree with comments above: we pressed far better than them in the first half hour and made chances. Shane should have put his chance away, but it was a good save and we were very unlucky the rebound didn't fall to any of the three Saints in front of goal.

But the pressing faded and we let them have too much time on the ball.

Once we scored the second (cool by Redmond) I thought we'd close the game down, maybe bringing Bednarek on, but they got one back too quickly. Some around me thought it was a soft free kick, but they got plenty of them.

The setup to defend it was obviously wrong but it happens that shots like that go through.

I was more annoyed about the second. No real pressure on the cross and the CBs need to do better.

Overall JWP, Armstrong and Romeu good. Redmond dangerous except from 12 yards although it he'd squared the ball instead of blasting it at the keeper in ET, we'd gave won. With more composure Long would gave had two.

Except for the second goal, CBs ok but much stronger with Bednarek.

And the youngsters all acquitted themselves well. For me, Johnson the best.

I don't like jumping on the criticism of any Saints player, but Elyounoussi really was poor and looked lost. Too slow and hesitant, poor pass selection and execution. One or two better moments, but unless he finds speed, confidence and skill from somewhere, I can't see him in plans.

On to Everton, which is more important.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

A good summary. Likewise I agree that Elyounoussi was diabolical. He doesn't tackle enough or well enough. He lacks pace and has poor control of the ball, which he gave away far too often. What was blindingly obvious was that he isn't good enough to lace the boots of the player he was meant to replace, Tadic. I get the feeling that all that would have been required to tip the balance our way last night, was to have had Tadic play instead of Elyounoussi, had he still been at the club.

When we were two up, in my opinion that would have been the time to bring on Bednarek, and maybe make the Targett substitution at the same time, allowing Cedric to switch to his natural side, firming up the defence.

I agree that the youngsters didn't let themselves down. Personally, I thought that Gallagher looked good in his short cameo. He is strong and fast, and I feel that Hasenhuttl will help his development into a good striker.

Under different circumstances, this Cup match was indeed very winnable, but key players weren't available for one reason or another. Even one or two of either Bertrand, Ings, Hojbjerg, Austin and even Valery could have swung the match our way, but the match came too soon for them. When we have most of those available at Everton, that will be very much to our advantage. On the plus side, although it was disappointing to go out of the Cup, especially as we would have had a much easier fixture against Accrington Stanley in the next round, Hasenhuttl could make a valuable assessment of several of the youngsters in a full-blooded match. Most will have impressed, apart from Elyounoussi.

Fixed it for you... :)

I can't believe (well actually, I can) that there are people on here writing off Gallagher on the basis of a 2nd half sub appearance in a disjointed and poor team after a long injury layoff. Just shows the mentality of this place most of the time.

I can't believe (well actually, I can) that there are people on here writing off Gallagher on the basis of a 2nd half sub appearance in a disjointed and poor team after a long injury layoff. Just shows the mentality of this place sometimes.

Don't see any of that. My opinion of him hasn't changed personally, I've never thought he was good enough at any point in his career. Last night did nothing to change that.

Disappointed to go out on penalties yet again to Derby but not overly concerned. Ralph seems to know what he is doing and I for one am glad that he is giving our youngsters a chance rather than signing unknowns. How many former or current academy players were on the pitch last night? I made it 7 with JWP, Stephens, Targett, Ramsay, Johnson, Gallagher and Slattery. That's pretty impressive and to hold Derby to 2-2 with all their experience shows that we are doing something right. He's taking a good look at the squad and by including them in his plans gives them all something to aim at. We've not got a bad squad and I am pretty certain that we will be pulling clear of relegation fairly soon without splashing out millions on new signings.

This. Imagine if we were in Derby fans' shoes, I'm guessing the more negative members of this forum (the majority?) wouldn't have been overly impressed with last night.... Derby, a team in 6th place in the championship with a full strenth squad struggling to beat a relegation fighting premier league team who were playing a bunch of academy players and several of their best first teamers sidelined.

Slightly Devil's Advocate territory I guess but I'd be more concerned about our promotion prospects if we were in Derby's position than I am about the rest of our season.

He's not playing well, and the worse thing is he knows it, which isn't helping his confidence either.

Nobody else had an utterly bad game but the inexperience of some of the players showed, and the number of changes also had an impact. It wouldn't have taken much to have got the result. It looked like Cedric was muttering some imprecation under his breath after a bad pass out to him, but he's allowed that when he learns to put in a decent cross that doesn't go into the crowd behind the goal.

I thought Gallagher showed what he might bring to the table and hope he gets another chance. He's got speed and strength and certainly his touch has improved since I last saw him play.

I'm disappointed but glad we've got so many senior players to welcome back against Everton.

Was that the p*ssed up nipper in the orange workmans trousers & carrying large bag? he was warned by the stewards half way through the first half, then spent rest of the game standing up giving it large to the Derby fans. Was very funny seeing a large number of stewards piling into him in the Itchen North concourse after the game :)
Nah some rather well turned out nipper with well groomed hair just seemed more interested in abusing the Derby fans than watching the game.

This. Imagine if we were in Derby fans' shoes, I'm guessing the more negative members of this forum (the majority?) wouldn't have been overly impressed with last night.... Derby, a team in 6th place in the championship with a full strenth squad struggling to beat a relegation fighting premier league team who were playing a bunch of academy players and several of their best first teamers sidelined.

Slightly Devil's Advocate territory I guess but I'd be more concerned about our promotion prospects if we were in Derby's position than I am about the rest of our season.

If they go up I doubt they will have all those loans and so they will have a pretty poor squad. The loan players are better than Championship quality, so having them makes Frank look better tan he is .The centre back from Chelsea was superb.

Typical cup tie really, evenly contested and quite enjoyable in parts, could have gone either way, both sides had good moments and bad.

A lot of inexperienced players out there for us, I thought they did OK but too many young heads to expect a cohesive performance.

Ramsey and Johnson look promising, Gallagher had some moments but ran into traffic mostly.

Redmond very good again despite poor finish and woeful penalty.

Cedric's poor crossing exposed again.

JWP solid and improving under Ralph, dead ball delivery a little erratic still.

Long was, er Long, tried hard and fluffed a golden chance.

Ely looked completely lost out there, despite good assist for our 1st though. I feel there is a good player in there somewhere but at the moment he lacks any confidence and purpose. It's a shame we lost because another cup tie or two would have given players like him more game time possibly. Unless forced I don't think RH would risk playing him in the PL based on what hes seen so far.

Oh well, no trophy this season....

Dissapointed we lost of course but we don’t need an FA Cup run.

It’s obvious to me we have two objectives, avoid relegation and allow Hasenthull an opportunity to learn about the team.

Next season we go for it.

go for what? mid table?

A good summary. Likewise I agree that Elyounoussi was diabolical. He doesn't tackle enough or well enough. He lacks pace and has poor control of the ball, which he gave away far too often. What was blindingly obvious was that he isn't good enough to lace the boots of the player he was meant to replace, Tadic. I get the feeling that all that would have been required to tip the balance our way last night, was to have had Tadic play instead of Elyounoussi, had he still been at the club.

When we were two up, in my opinion that would have been the time to bring on Bednarek, and maybe make the Targett substitution at the same time, allowing Cedric to switch to his natural side, firming up the defence.

I agree that the youngsters didn't let themselves down. Personally, I thought that Gallagher looked good in his short cameo. He is strong and fast, and I feel that Hasenhuttl will help his development into a good striker.

Under different circumstances, this Cup match was indeed very winnable, but key players weren't available for one reason or another. Even one or two of either Bertrand, Ings, Hojbjerg, Austin and even Valery could have swung the match our way, but the match came too soon for them. When we have most of those available at Everton, that will be very much to our advantage. On the plus side, although it was disappointing to go out of the Cup, especially as we would have had a much easier fixture against Accrington Stanley in the next round, Hasenhuttl could make a valuable assessment of several of the youngsters in a full-blooded match. Most will have impressed, apart from Elyounoussi.

I agree with the Gallagher comment.

Lets bear in mind he hasnt played competetively for quite a while.

He gives us more option in the air than our current strike 'force'

I would have played him from the start and brought our ace marksmen, Shane Long, into the game later on to grab a hatfull!!

Some people who are posting in this thread don't seem to have noticed who was actually playing last night as they think we fielded some sort of youth team against Derby's first team which means drawing with them was a good result.

In fact, this was our team:

28Gunn

66Ramsay

5Stephens

4Vestergaard

2Cédric

14Romeu

16Ward-Prowse

51Johnson (Redmond at 45 minutes)

11Elyounoussi

17Armstrong

7Long

Total cost in transfer fees, according to transfermarkt: €103 million

Once Redmond had replaced Johnson at half-time, it was one of the strongest teams we currently have available from our first team squad. Nearly all of them have played in our Premier League team this season and cost a hell of a lot more than Derby's team did in both transfer fees and wages. Yes, we had injuries and suspensions but so do all teams at this time of year, including Derby, so that is no excuse.

The point is, we have wasted a fortune in assembling a first team squad with a lot of players who are only Championship standard.

I believe we have a very good manager but our squad needs a lot of strengthening.

Some people who are posting in this thread don't seem to have noticed who was actually playing last night as they think we fielded some sort of youth team against Derby's first team which means drawing with them was a good result

In fact, this was our team:

28Gunn

66Ramsay

5Stephens

4Vestergaard

2Cédric

14Romeu

16Ward-Prowse

51Johnson (Redmond at 45 minutes)

11Elyounoussi

17Armstrong

7Long

Total cost in transfer fees, according to transfermarkt: €103 million

Once Redmond had replaced Johnson at half-time, it was one of the strongest teams we currently have available from our first team squad. Nearly all of them have played in our Premier League team this season and cost a hell of a lot more than Derby's team did in both transfer fees and wages. Yes, we had injuries and suspensions but so do all teams at this time of year, including Derby, so that is no excuse.

The point is, we have wasted a fortune in assembling a first team squad with a lot of players who are only Championship standard.

I believe we have a very good manager but our squad needs a lot of strengthening.

I don't think anyone is suggesting the result was "good" per se. Agree that our squad as a whole needs strengthening but, FWIW, I would venture that only 3 of our starting 11 last night would be feature in our strongest first choice 11, so in that context the result, whilst not "good", wasn't overly "bad" either.

McCarthy

Cedric

Yoshida

Vestergaard

Bednarek

Bertrand

Romeu

Lemina

Hojbjerg

Redmond

Ings

Would be interesting to compare the value of our starting 11 yesterday with that of Derby's starting 11

Does anyone have the foggiest idea what that goalkeeping coach of ours actually does btw....

I can see no evidence what so ever that he ever coached or prepares our goalies at all.

Gunn’s one sided no idea efforts for the pens were not very good.

It never fails to amaze me that Keepers move before the ball is kicked. They would stop more penalties if they waited that split second. Nine out of ten pens are well within the reach of a Keepers hands and feet. Can't remember that Ipswich keeper a few years back who made save after save by not letting the kicker know which was he was going. Gun was atrocious last night.

Edited by hasper57saint
Mis spelling

Felt like the first game, no shortage of effort but low on quality.

Thought Derby looked the better of the two teams TBH but to throw away a 2 goal lead in 30 odd minutes again is really poor.

Get rid of Long and Moi, both completely sub standard.

A brief but to the point post! I was dismayed at the quality or lack of it from some of the team. A fair result beaten by a better team.

A brief but to the point post! I was dismayed at the quality or lack of it from some of the team. A fair result beaten by a better team.
They weren't better. Over the course of two games there wasn't anything between the the two sides. Which is why we needed pens to settle it. The main difference is we (for various reasons) never put out our strongest team and they did. In the end all that separated the teams was a Redmond missed penalty.

It never fails to amaze me that Keepers move before the ball is kicked. They would stop more penalties if they waited that split second. Nine out of ten pens are well within the reach of a Keepers hands and feet. Can't remember that Ipswich keeper a few years back who made save after save by not letting the kicker know which was he was going. Gun was atrocious last night.

Paul Cooper. I copied his penalty technique & for a short-@rsed goalie, I was bloody good at penalties.

Paul Cooper. I copied his penalty technique & for a short-@rsed goalie, I was bloody good at penalties.

Thanks DG. He really did save a lot because he didn't let the kicker have a free hit like Gunn and the Derby keeper last night. What penalty saves did the Derby stopper make? Zero.

They weren't better. Over the course of two games there wasn't anything between the the two sides. Which is why we needed pens to settle it. The main difference is we (for various reasons) never put out our strongest team and they did. In the end all that separated the teams was a Redmond missed penalty.

That’s the way I see it too. Still feel a little disappointed tho