Saints vs Derby - FA Cup 3rd Round Replay Thread

SuperSAINT

The boys ran some serious distance today.

I wonder who we will rest for this one.

Championship team at home, Leeds beat them 2-0 on their patch, and I'm sure they've played just as many games as us with a manager who also loves to press!

Not saying to make any no alterations, but also wouldn't see too much point in wholesale changes. However, Ralph knows the fitness levels more than any of us after today's game.

I'd play this: same back 5 again, build the chemistry, bar Gunn in for McCarthy- let's make him our cup keeper for now or something?!

----------------------Gunn------------------------------

--------Stephens--Bednarek--Vestergaard---------------

Cedric-----Romeu----------JWP------------Targett---

-----------------------Redmond---------------------

-----------------Long---------Gallagher----------------

really would help to know who is available though apart from the obvious suspended ones in Valery and PEH- I'd fit Bertrand for Matt and Lemina for Slattery in the perfect world.

Reasoning for Long is that I doubt he'll start against Everton if true that Ings is back- but can give Ralph food for thought if he were to score again/help his confidence

This might be harsh on Sims too- can't please everyone. Elyounoussi too may expect game time also.

Edited by nta786

There’s four days before this game so I don’t buy in to the fact they’ll need rest. Ralph is putting a run together and needs to take that in to account. Lose at home to Derby and we lose some momentum.

Primarily the Everton game I was referring too. Ralph will put out a good time, I've no doubt.

We just don't have much wiggle-room if we get injuries.

Winning today has taken a little pressure off. The results Hasenhustle is creating in the league give me much more confidence that we will be safe this season.

So, we can perhaps afford to invest a little bit more for this game to keep the winning mentality. A good time to start a cup run!

I wonder how many of today's bench will feature?

Gunn / Cedric / Ramsay / Slattery / Elyounoussi / Sims / Gallagher

Sims can't play because he has come back from loan since the first game, and I gather only players who were registered to play in that game are eligible for the replay.

Any chance of Bertrand being fit? Would be good to give him time to build up for Saturday. If we stick to 3 at the back he could play there to give him less running.

I'm guessing Ramsey will get a start. Gunn too.

Central midfield is pretty thin without Lemina or PEH and I think he'll want to keep Romeu fresh, so presumably Slattery will also get another start.

I'd start Long. Hopefully the performance today gives him some confidence. Maybe Gallagher or Sims and Armstrong behind him with Redmond on the bench if needed.

Edit: if Gallagher and Sims aren't eligible then Elyonnousi.

Rest and rotate, I reckon. Similar line up to the first game. Romeu and Redmond given a breather.

Gunn; Ramsey, Stephens, Vestergaard, Targett; Ward-Prowse, Slattery; Long, Armstrong, Elyounoussi; Gallagher.

Johnson could come into contention. Sims and Jones are ineligible. Not sure whether Hesketh is (or is even fit).

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Make sure Redmond plays as they will be terrified of him.

I really think we can go all the way to the final once we get past Accrington (if) as I feel this team would start to pull further away from relegation.

RH can slot any player into the team as he just gets them

playing for him.

Think the team Ralph wants to put out v Everton will have a lot of bearing on the team selected. Assuming (if fit) he'll play Armstrong, Redmond and Ings in the league I'd imagine none of them will start v Derby, so probably long with two from Gallagher, Ely and maybe Johnson? Possibly hesketh (not sure if fit).

Wouldn't expect too many changes elsewhere, though Bertrand may feature if he's ready and needs game time. Romeu might get a rest I suppose but no idea on leminas fitness?

I'm going to guess

Gunn

Stephens bednarek vesti

Cedric ward-prowse lemina/slattery Bertrand

Ely long Johnson

We will need to rest most of the team so a few youngsters is fine. The back three is difficult as not sure who else is ready to step up but at the same time do we want to risk injury to only three first team back three we have. I’d say not.

No risks for me, the league is our priority.

We will need to rest most of the team so a few youngsters is fine. The back three is difficult as not sure who else is ready to step up but at the same time do we want to risk injury to only three first team back three we have. I’d say not.

No risks for me, the league is our priority.

With hoedt frozen out and Jones and Maya not available I think Ramsay is the only one who's been in the match day squad so could see him I guess? Other option (mentioned above) is Bertrand in the back three which might be a good way to get him some match sharpness? Otherwise could go to back four as per original game.

A few options, and for the first time in a couple of seasons I trust the manager to make the right call.

EPL is still priority of course but it would be a shame not to put out a good side with Accrington waiting for the winner in the FA cup 4th round.

Am I getting over confident about staying up already? ....not on the evidence so far, but who knows

We have to go all out for this, staying up doesn't really matter compared to winning silverware, our trophy haul is embarrassing to be honest and i'd much rather go for a cup, that currently looks very open, than stay in the league.

Also the flip side is that momentum is hugely important right now, we need a winning streak to build confidence.

We have to go all out for this, staying up doesn't really matter compared to winning silverware, our trophy haul is embarrassing to be honest and i'd much rather go for a cup, that currently looks very open, than stay in the league.

Also the flip side is that momentum is hugely important right now, we need a winning streak to build confidence.

Exactly. Liverpool are already out, one of Arsenal and Man Utd are definitely going out, we've got a chance I reckon.

I agree, and as a fan base we've got used to cup runs with EFL final 2017, FA Cup semi final 2018, would be great to have another visit 2019.

Still looks like a fairly small crowd expected, saw one comment from someone saying why bother when you can watch the match for free on BBC , I'm sure you can but you can't support the team from your sofa , hopefully the win at Leicester will encourage a few more to attend. Derby have sold just over 1000 so far.

Fans often moan about being priced out of football so would expect more to take advantage of the low price.

saw one comment from someone saying why bother when you can watch the match for free on BBC

£10 is a cheap price to escape the wife without having to make up all sorts of excuses.

But seriously. I do understand it, although I am not very good at watching us on TV. I get too nervous and distracted and go walk about most the time. Far easier watching at the ground.

I agree, and as a fan base we've got used to cup runs with EFL final 2017, FA Cup semi final 2018, would be great to have another visit 2019.

Still looks like a fairly small crowd expected, saw one comment from someone saying why bother when you can watch the match for free on BBC , I'm sure you can but you can't support the team from your sofa , hopefully the win at Leicester will encourage a few more to attend. Derby have sold just over 1000 so far.

Fans often moan about being priced out of football so would expect more to take advantage of the low price.

Going to hurt when it comes to getting a ticket for the semi if you don’t have a game on your database.

Going to hurt when it comes to getting a ticket for the semi if you don’t have a game on your database.

I've bought my seat but I probably wont go. The number of kids moving around and occasionals due to the cheapies are a distraction I don't need.

I was actually having a look earlier, and I've changed my initial line up, but a fair few people arguing to rest Romeu.

Romeu, not only was he a mainstay in our PL side in 2016-17, but he even started 5 of our Europa League games that season.

I mean, surely he'd be capable of playing midweek this week too. We should just go for it and try to play our best team 11 possible to be honest.

Ings, PEH coming back for Everton game at weekend anyway.

Really hope we start with Redmond/Gallagher/Sims up front. Be good to see them all play and hopefully cause some problems.

Start Slattery again, maybe Ramsey but other than that go with more experienced players.

Didn't someone say Sims is Cup-tied? Or, because he was on loan when the first time was played, can't play in the replay?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I was actually having a look earlier, and I've changed my initial line up, but a fair few people arguing to rest Romeu.

Romeu, not only was he a mainstay in our PL side in 2016-17, but he even started 5 of our Europa League games that season.

I mean, surely he'd be capable of playing midweek this week too. We should just go for it and try to play our best team 11 possible to be honest.

Ings, PEH coming back for Everton game at weekend anyway.

That may be true, but do we want to risk him getting injured (or red carded)? Derby have been known to be dirty.

Didn't someone say Sims is Cup-tied? Or, because he was on loan when the first time was played, can't play in the replay?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That's my understanding. He isn't cup tied as such, and would be available to play against Accrington if we beat Derby, but because he wasn't registered as part of our squad when the original tie was played he's not eligible for the replay.

I think Ralph will try 4-2-2-2 again. So hard to predict a line-up without knowing Lemina / Bertrand status.

He might start with Redders again, but I'd rest him.

-------------------Gunn------------------

Cedric---Stephens---Vestergaard---Targett

----------Slattery------JWP----------

Armstrong-----------------------Elyounoussi

------------Long----Gallagher------------

Any chance of Bertrand being fit? Would be good to give him time to build up for Saturday. If we stick to 3 at the back he could play there to give him less running.

I'm guessing Ramsey will get a start. Gunn too.

Central midfield is pretty thin without Lemina or PEH and I think he'll want to keep Romeu fresh, so presumably Slattery will also get another start.

I'd start Long. Hopefully the performance today gives him some confidence. Maybe Gallagher or Sims and Armstrong behind him with Redmond on the bench if needed.

Edit: if Gallagher and Sims aren't eligible then Elyonnousi.

I'd like to see O'Connor given a chance. He's much better than Slattery and Slattery is clearly well out of his depth at the moment.

I've guessed a back 4 for this. I also think Targett will be rested unless Bertrand is closer to returning than we think. Also need to rest one of the centre backs, my guess is Vestergaard.

Gunn

Cedric Stephens Bednarek Ramsey

Slattery Romeu

Elyounoussi Redmond

Long Gallagher

subs: McCarthy, Vestergaard, Targett, JWP, Armstrong, Johnson, Barnes.

While it's a good chance to play the youngsters normally, the fact it's on BBC and with an interesting tie at Accrington to potentially follow, means we need to be taking it quite seriously. Plus, if we bring one or two players in this window of quality, we could go on to have a decent cup run under Hassenhuttl if we win this.

Think they should stick with what's working & that's back 5.

Ramsay more of less played as a centre back for time in City game, so he could come in if Ralph doesn't think any of the other u23's are ready.

Given the Hojberg will be back next game it probably makes sense to keep JWP in, if he's then going to go back to what is on paper his first choice pair.

I'd assume Armstrong may be rested again as i know he had a slight ankle issue which was why he was rested for first leg.

Think we have to keep redders in the team and hope to take him off after an hour if we are in the lead.

Gunn

Cedric Stephens Vestergaard Ramsay Targett

Slattery JWP

Elyounessi Gallagher Redmond

Subs: Mccarthy, Vokins, Bednarek, Romeu, AJohnson, Long, Barnes,

Head says we beat them, but Heart hopes we absolutely D*ck them. Playoffs aside, K Billy and I have both been to pride park on numerous occasions and have yet to see Saints win, usually with Derby scoring after cynical gamesmanship

5-0. I hope Shane long gets a Hat-trick, and all the Derby fans get Diarrhoea.