Saints vs Derby - FA Cup 3rd Round Replay Thread

SuperSAINT

Head says we beat them, but Heart hopes we absolutely D*ck them. Playoffs aside, K Billy and I have both been to pride park on numerous occasions and have yet to see Saints win, usually with Derby scoring after cynical gamesmanship

5-0. I hope Shane long gets a Hat-trick, and all the Derby fans get Diarrhoea.

The sight of those oh-so-brave Derby fans flooding onto the pitch to goad us from behind the safety of a line of coppers in the 07 playoffs still irks me. Would be good to exorcise that at SMS on Wednesday.

Head says we beat them, but Heart hopes we absolutely D*ck them. Playoffs aside, K Billy and I have both been to pride park on numerous occasions and have yet to see Saints win, usually with Derby scoring after cynical gamesmanship

5-0. I hope Shane long gets a Hat-trick, and all the Derby fans get Diarrhoea.

If they stay at the Holiday Inn Express at the Ageas Bowl then lasagne is definately on the menu!

I've been to PP several times and never seen Saints win (the only one I can remember early in 08/09 I was at a wedding in Cornwall for and missed). Eranio and Baino (sp) diving so blatantly in 96/97 in the League and Cup, Sturridge winding up Deano so he got sent off at the Dell, Powell's injury giving added on time in which Beck scored for 3-3, coming back from 2-0 down against us under Hoddle and obviously the play offs. Some nicer memories are the 0-0 that kept us up 98/99, Oakley's superb drive in a 2-0 win that sealed their fate and a 4-0 tonking in our Champ promotion season including a rare goal by Aaron Martin (now of this parish) and an absolute arrow in the top corner from Tadanari Lee!

Just to clarify, I don't mind that Derby beat us in the play offs, you win and lose at any sport. It's the fact that they should have been down to 9 men in the first half, Fagan's tackle in particular was appalling, one bad tackle nailed Bale and Kenwyn each. Should have been red cards for both. Explains why ref bottled sending off Pele when he brought down Pearson for the pen.

Was amazed they beat WBA in the final but we saw their true selves in the PL the next season - record low points that even Hudds will beat - and Billy Davies bubble first. Saw his PNE side play at Leeds and they were just as dirty then, Revie End was frothing at Davies that day and some serious bile vented around us.

If they stay at the Holiday Inn Express at the Ageas Bowl then lasagne is definately on the menu!

I've been to PP several times and never seen Saints win (the only one I can remember early in 08/09 I was at a wedding in Cornwall for and missed). Eranio and Baino (sp) diving so blatantly in 96/97 in the League and Cup, Sturridge winding up Deano so he got sent off at the Dell, Powell's injury giving added on time in which Beck scored for 3-3, coming back from 2-0 down against us under Hoddle and obviously the play offs. Some nicer memories are the 0-0 that kept us up 98/99, Oakley's superb drive in a 2-0 win that sealed their fate and a 4-0 tonking in our Champ promotion season including a rare goal by Aaron Martin (now of this parish) and an absolute arrow in the top corner from Tadanari Lee!

Wasn't that Franny getting first dibs on the hot water, absolutely cleaning out Sturridge.......... Mike Riley, the ref, backing up to the Derby fans calling Franny to him before producing the Red to huge cheers from under the East Stand.

Notes from Lampard:

- Harry Wilson is back in contention, which is good news. Whether he is ready to start... that’s for us to decide. He’s had a small muscle injury, so we still have to be careful with him.”

- Lampard adds that he could make changes again for the cup replay.

- "It’s a good ‘reaction’ game for us, to show that what you saw on Friday night was not what we’ve seen this season. It’s important for us. We love the FA Cup, and the fans do, too. It’s another opportunity for the players to show what they can do against a good Premier League team.”

This! Derby was local to me in the 90s and a guarenteed ****e day out. And they stole

Mark Wright

And Shilton ! He didn’t mention us once during half time Saturday, he could have at least acknowledged we were his old side, also, went to the baseball ground in the 90’s when we lost in the FA cup and the play off semi at Pride Park, still haunts me know, stood right behind the pens, can remember lots of lighters being chucked at there keeper and absolutely chucking it down when we walked out. That’s why I also want us to stuff them, 2-1 either way though !

Injury news:

Ralph Hasenhüttl has confirmed that the midweek FA Cup replay against Derby has come too soon for injured trio Danny Ings, Mario Lemina and Ryan Bertrand - but any number of those three could be in contention for the weekend's Premier League action.

Saints face back-to-back home ties - Everton the visitors on Saturday - where the manager will be able to utilise the services of Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, who will have overcome his suspension, as well as the possibility of fielding striker Ings.

Full-back Bertrand is being eased back to full training, and could be ready for competitive action soon, while Michael Obafemi remains sidelined.

"We have to find the right mixture. We will continue to try and give the young guys chances in the future," the Austrian commented.

"Callum Slattery is an option, absolutely. We have to look at what shape we're playing.

"We have three suspended players, who will miss Wednesday but will be available for the weekend.

"Injured players are coming back piece by piece. Bertrand is training with the team, Ings will hopefully return to training tomorrow and Lemina was in the group today.

"Obafemi will take a few weeks more to recover. His injury is more difficult."

Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2019-01-14/team-news-southampton-derby-county-fa-cup-replay-1819

Wasn't that Franny getting first dibs on the hot water, absolutely cleaning out Sturridge.......... Mike Riley, the ref, backing up to the Derby fans calling Franny to him before producing the Red to huge cheers from under the East Stand.

You were right, Franny on 55. Deano in fact didn't join us until the following summer, after the crazy season that was 98/99! Dailly had scored a header just before that at the Archers End.

Also far more likely that Franny would do something like that than Deano! Still not as blatant as the Ruel Fox sending off v Norwich though.

Echo article saying that Tyreke Johnson & Marcus Barnes "both expected to return to the Saints squad for tonight’s clash against Derby County" despite playing for the U23's on Sunday.

Good stuff.

Source: https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17359358.southampton-duo-marcus-barnes-and-tyreke-johnson-impress-for-u23s/?ref=rss

Game is tomorrow isn't it, so Sunday to Wednesday should cause no problem to fit young men.

Sunday to Wednesday isn't an unfeasible turnaround.
It's the rest time before Saturday that's more relevant.

I think it'll be a fairly strong team, with key players either on the bench or pulled quite early.

Gunn

Cedric Vestergaard Stephens Bertrand/Targett

Romeu Slattery

JWP Armstrong

Long Gallagher

Bench including McCarthy, Ings, Bednarek, youngsters

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Is this Hoj's last banned game? Will be good to see him back at weekend if so. I reckon Romeu will get a well-earned rest tonight or at least be on bench if it all goes Pete Tong. Perhaps we should play that bloke with the very hurty tummy in the middle, if he can be at all bothered.

Is this Hoj's last banned game? Will be good to see him back at weekend if so. I reckon Romeu will get a well-earned rest tonight or at least be on bench if it all goes Pete Tong. Perhaps we should play that bloke with the very hurty tummy in the middle, if he can be at all bothered.

DT - get off Lemina's back - or tummy, or whatever else is ailing him. He has been consistently among our best players this season, along with Romeu, PEH, Ings and Redmond. Your comment about him makes no sense.

Let's not forget that we should get back a "fresh" Ings, Valery, Lemina, Austin and possibly Bertrand Saturday...

I'd go something like...

Gunn

Cedric

Vestergaard

Bednarek

Targett

Romeu

JWP

Slattery

Elyounoussi

Long

Redmond

And Hojberg of course !

Let's not forget that we should get back a "fresh" Ings, Valery, Lemina, Austin and possibly Bertrand Saturday...

I'd go something like...

Gunn

Cedric

Vestergaard

Bednarek

Targett

Romeu

JWP

Slattery

Elyounoussi

Long

Redmond

fair point.

and of course, Hoj

Personally only player I’d rest from the weekend is Redmond with Gunn obviously coming in for McCarthy. Stick to 434 as seems to suit us best, currently.

Gunn

Bednerak

Stephens

Vest

Cedric

JWP

Romeu

Targett

Mo

Armstrong

Long

McCarthy, Ramsey, slattery, sims??, Gallagher, couple of youngsters

Personally only player I’d rest from the weekend is Redmond with Gunn obviously coming in for McCarthy. Stick to 434 as seems to suit us best, currently.

Gunn

Bednerak

Stephens

Vest

Cedric

JWP

Romeu

Targett

Mo

Armstrong

Long

I'd at least have Redmond on the bench

Gunn

Bednerak

Stephens

Vest

Cedric

JWP

Romeu

Targett

Mo

Armstrong

Long

Don't think Sims can play as he wasn't eligible to play for us in the first leg.

DT - get off Lemina's back - or tummy, or whatever else is ailing him. He has been consistently among our best players this season, along with Romeu, PEH, Ings and Redmond. Your comment about him makes no sense.

I agree with the other names but find Lemina a constant frustration given how much talent he clearly has. Be great to see him tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gunn

Bednerak

Stephens

Vest

Cedric

JWP

Romeu

Targett

Mo

Armstrong

Long

Would certainly help having an extra player

Gunn

Bednerak

Stephens

Vest

Cedric

JWP

Romeu

Targett

Mo

Armstrong

Long

Some muddled thinking here, 434 is bad enough then you propose a 343 or 3421 team. Doesn't make a lot of sense

Why??

I'd imagine it's because Bertrand provides a lot of danger going forward and Ralph's new system will rely heavily on attacking full backs. I also think Bertie will suit RaHa's style of play. Hope so anyway.

Regarding tonight, surprised to see so many people putting Elyounoussi in their prospective teams. In every match he has had a chance to show what he can do he's offered nothing and not taken his chance. Don't see why he deserves another one tonight.

Now go and watch him play a blinder.

I'd imagine it's because Bertrand provides a lot of danger going forward and Ralph's new system will rely heavily on attacking full backs. I also think Bertie will suit RaHa's style of play. Hope so anyway.

Regarding tonight, surprised to see so many people putting Elyounoussi in their prospective teams. In every match he has had a chance to show what he can do he's offered nothing and not taken his chance. Don't see why he deserves another one tonight.

Now go and watch him play a blinder.

He's been absolutely awful but most of that was under Hughes, would still like to how he turns out in Ralph's system in time.

Not sure it's that bizarre watching him last season. He did show a lot of talent.

But it's always a punt on whether they'll adapt and be good enough for this league. Would solve a lot of problems and save a lot of money if he could gain some form.

yeah, think on the whole the Mo signing had a positive vibe to him given he had success with Basel much like Mane did with Salzburg and we hoped he'd have the impact Mane did.

Yet, whilst it hasn't come off yet, I'd still persist for a while yet hoping that Ralph is able to nurture him into an explosive winger