Saints vs Derby - FA Cup 3rd Round Replay Thread

SuperSAINT

The BBC commentators failed to mention we finished that game with a combination of 7 kids and reserves on the pitch.

Suppose it would have taken the edge off their Lampard love in !!

Sssshhhhh of course they don’t want to mention that. Danny Murphy had a constant Derby boner all game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two very evenly-matched teams, which, as Derby are a Championship side who had only won 1 of their previous 7 games, is indicative of the general lack of quality in our squad. Some of our players would struggle to get into a good Championship side.

Agree with this - for long periods it was Derby who showed greater speed, link up play and goal threat. Their CB Tomori looked head and shoulders above any CB we have and young Wilson looks a Prem player in the making. Once again Romeu had too much to do in midfield; Moi improved in the second half but his lack of composure and touch were glaringly obvious. Redmond improved the side yet managed to fritter away two goal opportunities. Gunn showed tonight why McCarthy has to be first choice for the immediate future, while Ramsay showed a lot of promise.

Frustrating but in the cold light of day, staying up is all that matters. We drew the 90 minute match 2-2.

7/8 1st teamers we’re out and this gives Ralph more time on the training pitch. They can jet off to Spain for a week during the next round. Annoying but move on.

Agree with this - for long periods it was Derby who showed greater speed, link up play and goal threat. Their CB Tomori looked head and shoulders above any CB we have and young Wilson looks a Prem player in the making. Once again Romeu had too much to do in midfield; Moi improved in the second half but his lack of composure and touch were glaringly obvious. Redmond improved the side yet managed to fritter away two goal opportunities. Gunn showed tonight why McCarthy has to be first choice for the immediate future, while Ramsay showed a lot of promise.

Cant read, ignore me :)

But Derby's goals were pretty good were they not
No, they bloody weren't. A free kick that we didn't defend at all, which went straight in with no touch and a player getting far too much space to head home unchallenged. Both avoidable.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

No, they bloody weren't. A free kick that we didn't defend at all, which went straight in with no touch and a player getting far too much space to head home unchallenged. Both avoidable.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

yeah the first was very poor and the second was a combo of Stephens and the young lad Ramsay letting the striker get in unchallenged

I think I saw Gallagher breaking into a walk at one point ! A very lazy performance from him and you would have thought he would be working hard to impress.

Sorry effort along with several others. Ralph will have learnt a lot and good luck to him, he will have worked a minor miracle coaching the group of players he has available to stay up.

Still massive fragility in this side. Lots of work to be done.

Not a fan of Johnson or Ramsay, they look a bit short for this level.

Moi just doesn't look like a footballer, it's bizzare.

Overall it was just a cup game at the end of the day, and the obvious issues in this squad still persist but I'm confident the coaching staff know and are trying to do something about it.

Which team had more kids playing them or us ? Ralph has already said the prem is what is the most important

Still massive fragility in this side. Lots of work to be done.

Not a fan of Johnson or Ramsay, they look a bit short for this level.

Moi just doesn't look like a footballer, it's bizzare.

Overall it was just a cup game at the end of the day, and the obvious issues in this squad still persist but I'm confident the coaching staff know and are trying to do something about it.

How did Ralph not notice how bad Moi was playing/is? Bit worrying.

How did Ralph not notice how bad Moi was playing/is? Bit worrying.

I mean who else is there? We're lacking any real options in attack. He's there because we have no one else.

To be fair Ralph is giving him a chance, but I think he's probably seen enough now.

My thoughts and i hope others saw it the same way.

JWP overall MOM but tired out towards the end.

Redmond is becoming a quality and value player for us.

Thought Moi had some good moments and I’m hoping he can start producing what he did for Basel.

Gunn offered a pretty lame performance while I thought Slattery is not cutting it for me.

Finally I love the fact we have some promising young kids that are getting in the first team but please teach them to stop diving in the tackles plus how to take a throw in.

Which team had more kids playing them or us ? Ralph has already said the prem is what is the most important

No doubt we had a younger side, although Tomori has just turned 21; Mount 20 and Wilson 21. And Prem survival is absolutely the priority - I was agreeing with Nordic Saints point that a Championship side who has won just 1 from their last 7 looked every bit a match for us tonight which does raise the question about the lack of quality in the squad.

Apart from a 2 minute spell we were pretty much gash throughout that.

Johnson - Looks promising but way to rash and I'm assuming taken off to avoid a second booking.

Cedric - Some woeful crossing first half, even on his favoured foot. Useless second, no left foot.

Elmo - I want to know what in the blue hell a professional football scout saw in him, to think he was worth an 8 figure transfer fee. Offered nothing as an attacking player, to the point that team mates were reluctant to pass to him, knowing he is hopeless. Then there were the tackles... good grief. Every time he went in for one he just bounced off and hurt himself, like hitting a tennis ball against a breeze block.

Redmond - I'll forgive him the penalty, he was by far the best attacking player on the pitch.

Long - Not so easy when the 'keepers aren't pushing them in for you. Still, he did give it a try by whacking it at the 'keeper from 4 yards out.

Gallagher - If he's Premier League quality, he sure kept that quiet tonight.

Was Gunn’s positioning for the first right?

To me it looked like a 2 man wall was completely inadequate, especially for a left footer with a clear shot on goal. Silly foul to give away anyway for the fk.

I mean who else is there? We're lacking any real options in attack. He's there because we have no one else.

To be fair Ralph is giving him a chance, but I think he's probably seen enough now.

I'd play Sims instead of him easily.

Anyone know where Lemina is?

Abdominal injury

Thought Moi had some good moments and I’m hoping he can start producing what he did for Basel.

Gunn offered a pretty lame performance while I thought Slattery is not cutting it for me.

Finally I love the fact we have some promising young kids that are getting in the first team but please teach them to stop diving in the tackles plus how to take a throw in.

Stephens or Romeu my MOM...JWP was ok delivery pish but did tackle far more.

I thought Ramsey did well.

Agree about Slattery needs to bulk and strengthen if progressing at this level .

Need to stop the crosses more too many free headers...Gunn kicking was poor did he set up wall well enough?

Gallagher offered us something different direct and pace.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I thought Tyreke played ok, pinged a few decent balls in the box.

Elyounoussi I think is a bit nervous / short on confidence I think he will adjust our fans are a fickle bunch, Some of the passing was off granted. But I saw a few good touches and he got a assist. Needs to work on shooting how much did we pay for him? He looked good on Youtube..... Lol

Sam G didn't really do alot can't really see what he adds?

Redmond to me looks like a different player, he made the difference when he came on, he had a few moments of brilliance, selfishness, followed up by a sloppy penalty.

No, no I did not see it the same way. Moi was utter rubbish. He consistently made the wrong decision, could not hold onto the ball or beat a man. He offered nothing and wasted what must surely be his last chance at making it at this level.

On the plus side, Gallagher and Johnson looked decent enough, especially as I don't think j

Johnson is usually a wing back. I'd rather have Gallagher up front in a home league match than Long.

Stephens can't defend crosses. He just thought he'd remind anyone who might have forgotten.

Elyonnousi is gash.

Collectively, far too sloppy at important moments, as usual.

Hopefully the new right back is good and we can also add another decent player to give us a bit more quality.

Oh Well, **** happens
When we conceded 2 goal leads under Hughes, it was down to him not being able to coach a defence according to some. So why are we still doing it? Maybe it's that we have so many **** defenders in the squad. Just a thought.

OK, it's the Cup so not No.1 priority, but this will keep happening until we replace some of the awful central defenders we have at the club. Irrespective of who the manager is.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I think I saw Gallagher breaking into a walk at one point ! A very lazy performance from him and you would have thought he would be working hard to impress.

Sorry effort along with several others. Ralph will have learnt a lot and good luck to him, he will have worked a minor miracle coaching the group of players he has available to stay up.

Does anyone have the foggiest idea what that goalkeeping coach of ours actually does btw....

I can see no evidence what so ever that he ever coached or prepares our goalies at all.

Gunn’s one sided no idea efforts for the pens were not very good.

Isn't that now the last 10 penalties in shoot outs that he's conceded ?

Seemed to flop to his left for the first four, and don't think he should have been beaten by the free kick. If FF had conceded those there would have been a meltdown on here. Gunn may very well be an outstanding prospect, but no evidence of it tonight. Just hope the keeper we signed from City isn't coached into a flat footed totem pole by Dave Watson.

When we conceded 2 goal leads under Hughes, it was down to him not being able to coach a defence according to some. So why are we still doing it? Maybe it's that we have so many **** defenders in the squad. Just a thought.

OK, it's the Cup so not No.1 priority, but this will keep happening until we replace some of the awful central defenders we have at the club. Irrespective of who the manager is.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

We also lack any leadership on the pitch which is vital if we've got a load of youngsters on the pitch.

Oh for an Alan Ball or Jimmy Case to rally the troops when needed. Recent captains are no more than coin tossers, after that it seems they think their duty ends.

Whatever the excuses about B-team and youngsters on here...there is no way we should have thrown away a two-goal lead at home with less than 20 minutes to go. Complete lack of defensive pillars we can depend on. I don't agree that losing that doesn't matter. An away tie to Accrington...due respect but that should mean the round beyond that and another game to blood youngsters, so this was a very bad result for us.

All credit to Derby who proved again they are evenly matched against the bottom of the Premier league standard.

For all those screaming for Gallagher...that was the perfect opportunity to impress - failed completely for me. Flashes to show he has control for a big man...but way short on pace. My tape ran out at the end of the first period of extra time but from what I saw the only person likely to score was Redmond. Elyonoussi - that will have rubber-stamped his exit. Gunn - wonder if definitely not being the No.1 choice affected his game...was that the same guy that kept a clean sheet against Chelsea away?!

Isn't that now the last 10 penalties in shoot outs that he's conceded ?

Seemed to flop to his left for the first four, and don't think he should have been beaten by the free kick. If FF had conceded those there would have been a meltdown on here. Gunn may very well be an outstanding prospect, but no evidence of it tonight. Just hope the keeper we signed from City isn't coached into a flat footed totem pole by Dave Watson.

Have you not spotted the accuracy McCarthy is getting with that goal kick almost out of play to the left side of the pitch, Fraser had that same goal kick nailed a treat.........straight over Whoever had been sent out there to receive it.

The amount of times everyone has been motioned to the left and our right back has crept out right with acres to run into ahead of him, zero imagination from the keeper bomb one right into congestion time and time again on the left. Bloody ping one at the corner flag on the right now and again to surprise everyone.

Bit concerned that after Saturday both Romeu and JWP looked jiggered tonight in the closing stages.

Thought all the nippers did well, didn’t let us down, thought Ramsey was very tidy.

Shame we fell ill at this hurdle, I was looking forward to the possibility of a trip t’up north. I had spotted that there was a chance of a double header, Stanley for lunch, then the Shakers v the Imps at teatime at Gigg Lane with my cousins.

C’est la vie as a Saints fan.

You have to be kidding...

JWP started okay, for about 15 minutes. Maybe he was tiring then, cause he got overrun on every attack, left all the work to romeu and didn't even get into duels,which he would have lost anyway. Playing two DM, he ein some balls might make a huge different, so Hojbjerg will eb a big upgrade. BTW, he Took some **** corners too.

And Stephens? The man who played five of their attackers onside for their first goal? The man who constantly doesn't bother to go for headers in his area.? The man who makes every RB look ****e, who tries to cover for his inadequacies? But yeah, Derby might give him their MOTM for succwssfully helping them to the next round...

Accrington away though. FFS

Missing out on that has ruined the season for me, would have been a top notch away day but as usual our bunch of c*nts masquerading as a football team had to go and f*ck it up.

I was there last night first time I've been at a game with live VAR that really ****s up your goal celebrations when it kicks in doesn't it :lol:

I thought last night summed up where we are really. Ralph has us working harder and much better organised than we've been in a long time but the lack of quality in the squad still comes through. Hard work and effort will take us so far but in the end we need some quality in the squad to really make it count. We have become very reliant on Redmond to give us any sort of attacking threat while at the back we are still prone to bad mistakes both areas need looking at.

As for the youngsters I thought Johnson shows promise he has real pace and a not half bad cross on him, Ramsey looks out of his depth and nowhere near ready, Gallagher wasn't great but he probably won more headers upfront in his short cameo last night than Long, Austin and Gabbi have in two seasons, proper flick ons to, just needed some strike partners to read them.

In the end though if you can't hold on to a two goal lead in two cup games you don't really deserve to go through.

Edited by doddisalegend

I was there last night first time I've been at a game with live VAR that really ****s up your goal celebrations when it kicks in doesn't it :lol:

Yes it's a celebration-killer and yet another nail in the coffin of atmosphere. It will sterilise the game, and it starts to feel very much like a rugby match when the key moments are staccato and punctuated by a period of limbo.

Another reason people will abandon the Prem and start watching lower league football.

No doubt we had a younger side, although Tomori has just turned 21; Mount 20 and Wilson 21. And Prem survival is absolutely the priority - I was agreeing with Nordic Saints point that a Championship side who has won just 1 from their last 7 looked every bit a match for us tonight which does raise the question about the lack of quality in the squad.

None of those players are their players, they are top prospects from Chelsea and Pool, Wilson has caps for Wales. Tomori and Mount are both England U21s.

And all 3 probably have more senior appearances than our youngsters put together as all 3 of them have been on loan for the last 2 years.

Personally I couldn’t careless about FA Cup this season. Glad we went out. Stay up, over haul squad in summer, and we will be so much better.

Players like Ramsay, Johnson, Targett, Gallagher ain’t gonna cut it.

Really? I kid myself I don’t care, but the reality was I had a lump in my throat and had to suppress a little sob when Derby scored their last penalty. The fa cup was magic when I was a lad, talking about the fantastic days and nights at the Dell here.

Felt like the first game, no shortage of effort but low on quality.

Thought Derby looked the better of the two teams TBH but to throw away a 2 goal lead in 30 odd minutes again is really poor.

Get rid of Long and Moi, both completely sub standard.

Really? I kid myself I don’t care, but the reality was I had a lump in my throat and had to suppress a little sob when Derby scored their last penalty. The fa cup was magic when I was a lad, talking about the fantastic days and nights at the Dell here.
I think as soon as I saw the team sheet I figured Ralph wasn't to fussed. IMO if you are fighting relegation or battling for a top four finish you could mug the cups off.

It's all the mid table PL sides who don't take it seriously I can't understand. It was the same for us when we where doing well in the league a few seasons back I wanted us to go all out in the cups but right now staying up is more important.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk