Cortese

Turkish

5 years ago today since the great man left. His vision lives on though. How fitting that in the last match before the anniversary of his departure we win away at a former league champions (who copied our model) with a team containing 8 academy players, just like his vision of a premier league team with 50% home grown players for his baby. I'm sure Nicola was sitting in his Italian villa watching the match, Cuban heels up on the table, with a little smile on his face proud to see what he started come to fruition.

5 years ago today since the great man left. His vision lives on though. How fitting that in the last match before the anniversary of his departure we win away at a former league champions (who copied our model) with a team containing 8 academy players, just like his vision of a premier league team with 50% home grown players for his baby. I'm sure Nicola was sitting in his Italian villa watching the match, Cuban heels up on the table, with a little smile on his face proud to see what he started come to fruition.

Fuming at how he was shafted by KL after her father's somewhat unexpected death, more like. No proof, but it has always been my belief that he had some kind of arrangement worked out with ML about Cortese taking some share in the club at some point, hence the rancour when KL pushed him out. Perhaps NC will kiss and tell one day.

It's extremely heartening that you can say that now Turkish. I know you had your differences, but in retrospect Cortese could be called a visionary, like a diminutive Steve Jobs or Alan Sugar.

It is heartening to see how well has he progressed in the world of football since leaving us. Especially after that interview on TalkSport when he reassured all of his fans that he had several offers lined up and would be back where he belongs soon. I'm sure it is all just a matter of time before he is dining at the top table again.

It's extremely heartening that you can say that now Turkish. I know you had your differences, but in retrospect Cortese could be called a visionary, like a diminutive Steve Jobs or Alan Sugar.

As a visionary i'd say his vision was more akin to the philosophy of Franco and Mussolini. Yes we had our differences, I enjoyed spoongate and the #bantz with Le Tissier on twitter, I enjoyed the small article in the echo about Corteses private toilet after I told one of the journalist I know there about it all, it was all highly amusing. Yet this should prove to anyone that if you try and take Turkish on there is only one winner whoever you may be. The proof is there for all to see, after all this time only one of us is greeted at the Corriander Lounge with a smile and handshake and it isn't the tiny, Cuban heeled Itie.

As a visionary i'd say his vision was more akin to the philosophy of Franco and Mussolini. Yes we had our differences, I enjoyed spoongate and the #bantz with Le Tissier on twitter, I enjoyed the small article in the echo about Corteses private toilet after I told one of the journalist I know there about it all, it was all highly amusing. Yet this should prove to anyone that if you try and take Turkish on there is only one winner whoever you may be. The proof is there for all to see, after all this time only one of us is greeted at the Corriander Lounge with a smile and handshake and it isn't the tiny, Cuban heeled Itie.

You seem very jealous and bitter.

Fuming at how he was shafted by KL after her father's somewhat unexpected death, more like. No proof, but it has always been my belief that he had some kind of arrangement worked out with ML about Cortese taking some share in the club at some point, hence the rancour when KL pushed him out. Perhaps NC will kiss and tell one day.

Nik Nak departed three and a half years after her father's somewhat unexpected death. If there was an expectation that he would inherit some of the club (as you suggest) and that was denied/ignored by Kat, then I think that `overlooking' would have caused a much earlier departure to be honest. Doesn't mean he wasn't fuming at how control of the club was wrestled away from him though.

There was lots to dislike about the way he went about things, but that ruthless and single minded focus on building Saints up is something we have missed.

What exactly was "spoongate". Seen it referenced many times re NC, but obviously missed the original story.

I still can't believe how such a football genius has not been snapped up by another club. Such insight and brilliance lost to the football world it enough to make you cry. I blame forces intolerant to those who wear lifts in their shoes!

What exactly was "spoongate". Seen it referenced many times re NC, but obviously missed the original story.

Cortese had a set of expensive cutlery which only he was allowed to use. One day a spoon went missing from it and he took a number of staff away from their jobs to search for it. Cue lots of bantz on here and twitter which included a mock up of Matt le tissier (it was around the time they fell out) holding a spoon in his hand with the words "Oi Nicola, I've got your spoon" which he (le Tiss) saw and thought was highly amusing. also other mock ups of "missing, have you seen this spoon, last seen in Cortese office" and various other similar things doing the rounds. IIRC correctly there was even a small article in the echo about the search for the missing spoon at St Marys at that time, obviously taking the p*ss. It was all very funny, at the time anyway.

Nik Nak departed three and a half years after her father's somewhat unexpected death. If there was an expectation that he would inherit some of the club (as you suggest) and that was denied/ignored by Kat, then I think that `overlooking' would have caused a much earlier departure to be honest. Doesn't mean he wasn't fuming at how control of the club was wrestled away from him though.

There was lots to dislike about the way he went about things, but that ruthless and single minded focus on building Saints up is something we have missed.

Three and a half years after his death but only just after the conclusion of the probate procedures. Kat had no real say in things until then contrary to what some on here suggest. Cortese was one of the executors of Markus' will.

On behalf of lawyers, local builders, ex employees of the club and local journalists i shall have a drink tonight. If ever a man personified the values of the premier league and modern football it was the mad midget, his incredible ability to fund our rise to the top was nothing short of incredible, and his myth making around himself second only to the blue few down the road.

A man of real talents, though sadly it seems only he knew what they were. He is, i'm sure, sorely missed by the fans who have forgiven him the selling of all our players and wish him well in his new role as CEO of AC Milan.

Great for saints when he was here

Sure was, shocking the amount of hate he gets on here. Talked ml into buying the club and we did nothing but improve season after season with him in charge..took no shi from anyone, and I actually loved his ruthlessness.

Honestly think we would have made a champions league if he had stars we were close and poch would have given us longer too

Cortese had a set of expensive cutlery which only he was allowed to use. One day a spoon went missing from it and he took a number of staff away from their jobs to search for it. Cue lots of bantz on here and twitter which included a mock up of Matt le tissier (it was around the time they fell out) holding a spoon in his hand with the words "Oi Nicola, I've got your spoon" which he (le Tiss) saw and thought was highly amusing. also other mock ups of "missing, have you seen this spoon, last seen in Cortese office" and various other similar things doing the rounds. IIRC correctly there was even a small article in the echo about the search for the missing spoon at St Marys at that time, obviously taking the p*ss. It was all very funny, at the time anyway.
Cheers. No idea how I managed to miss that when it happened. Note to self: must pay more attention.

Must be the only S4E regular to miss Amygate too ( IIRC was on holiday at the time).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Cheers. No idea how I managed to miss that when it happened. Note to self: must pay more attention.

Must be the only S4E regular to miss Amygate too ( IIRC was on holiday at the time).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I too missed it having spent years glued to the site. Annoying. Funnily enough I missed the spoons revelations too. Typical.

Three and a half years after his death but only just after the conclusion of the probate procedures. Kat had no real say in things until then contrary to what some on here suggest. Cortese was one of the executors of Markus' will.

that's a hell of a probate period. What happened, did Cortese contest the will he was meant to executor of?

The club would've been run into the ground had he got his way. It would've been just like Leeds all them years ago. Paying big transfer fee's and wages for short term success on the pitch until the bubble burst and we are relegated with a horrendous amount of debt because we'd have lost the PL income.

Can't believe how many people that support our club are blind to what was happening at the time. He wanted an open cheque book and ran the club like a dictatorship. He oversaw a great rise and for that I'll always be grateful but he left at the right time imo and I'm glad he's not here now.

The club would've been run into the ground had he got his way. It would've been just like Leeds all them years ago. Paying big transfer fee's and wages for short term success on the pitch until the bubble burst and we are relegated with a horrendous amount of debt because we'd have lost the PL income.

Can't believe how many people that support our club are blind to what was happening at the time. He wanted an open cheque book and ran the club like a dictatorship. He oversaw a great rise and for that I'll always be grateful but he left at the right time imo and I'm glad he's not here now.

Agreed.

Other than Les reed and Ross Wilson over the past 2 years.

They both spent money the difference is Cortese largely spent money that was invested in the club led to success and a vastly increased value for the club which Kat has largely now cashed in on

Whilst Les Reed and Wilson largely threw it away without getting any return either on the success front or indeed inraising the equity value of the club

Shows which one was the businessman!

I am sorry there are many reasons to dislike some of his actions this is not the case the value of the club went up far more than the total sum of money he spent (invested) it was single minded cold hearted capitalism at its best i.e invest to accumulate to succeed the club needed success on the pitch and this we got in spades and will likely never get again nine years of year on year improvement based on the legacy and foundstions he placed.

It was far more likely that Les and Ross would have got us down in debt if we had not won at Swnsea last year!

*Coriander*

I am sorry there are many reasons to dislike some of his actions this is not the case the value of the club went up far more than the total sum of money he spent (invested) it was single minded cold hearted capitalism at its best i.e invest to accumulate to succeed the club needed success on the pitch and this we got in spades and will likely never get again nine years of year on year improvement based on the legacy and foundstions he placed.

It was far more likely that Les and Ross would have got us down in debt if we had not won at Swnsea last year!

This.

This is so true. The money Cortese spent increased the value of the club and Kat did very well out of it. The money Reed and Ross have spent has come close to ruining us. Cortese was the business man, Poch would have been the football man and we would be heading for the Champions Lg and our owners would be getting richer not poorer, but NC was moved out and lots of nut cases on this forum rejoiced.

This is so true. The money Cortese spent increased the value of the club and Kat did very well out of it. The money Reed and Ross have spent has come close to ruining us. Cortese was the business man, Poch would have been the football man and we would be heading for the Champions Lg and our owners would be getting richer not poorer, but NC was moved out and lots of nut cases on this forum rejoiced.

:lol: of course we would...

Just to recap, a couple of second place finishes in the lower leagues and then 14th in the Prem. Watford finished 14th last season. Currently Crystal Palace are 14th. #headingforthechampionsleague Edited by CB Fry

Jim White is an intolerable sycophant. He has ruined that morning show on talk sport. Bel1end.
Jim White, after Adrian Durham probably one of the worst broadcasters ever. Why does he 'HAVE TO TALK IN HEADLINES' all the time. Everything that comes out of his mouth is delivered as if it's a 'WORLD EXCLUSIVE'. Awful, awful presenter, broadcaster.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Jim White, after Adrian Durham probably one of the worst broadcasters ever. Why does he 'HAVE TO TALK IN HEADLINES' all the time. Everything that comes out of his mouth is delivered as if it's a 'WORLD EXCLUSIVE'. Awful, awful presenter, broadcaster.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I think he is a troubled individual

This. His overspend on Staplewood was outrageous and he couldn't stay after that. Credit where it's due though, he oversaw our rise back to the top and we can't forget that.

Just to recap, a couple of second place finishes in the lower leagues and then 14th in the Prem. Watford finished 14th last season. Currently Crystal Palace are 14th. #headingforthechampionsleague

14th in the first season, I guess most promoted teams would bite your hand off for that. Of course the foundations laid meant we were worse the following seasons...... oh, no, actually.......

This. His overspend on Staplewood was outrageous and he couldn't stay after that. Credit where it's due though, he oversaw our rise back to the top and we can't forget that.

Jesus, point me in the direction of a single building project that went to budget, have you never seen Grand Designs FFS.

And it's so **** isn't, Staplewood what a waste of money :lol: