Saints v Everton Build-up

trousers

------------------McCarthy------------------

-----Bednarek---Stephens---Vestergaard-----

Valery------------------------------------Bertrand

-------------Hojbjerg-----Romeu---------------

Armstrong-------------------------------Redmond

--------------------Ings--------------------

Still think we are very short of confidence, if we concede first or go behind, can't see us getting anything out of Everton. We're certainly not capable of doing what Derby did to us tonight that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I doubt Targett would've been on the bench tonight if Bertrand was ready to start Saturday.

McCarthy,

Valery, Bednarek, Stephens, Vestergaard, Targett

Hojbjerg, Prowsey/Romeu

Redmond, Austin, Armstrong

Whoever's least tired out of Romeu and Prowsey will start I guess

Ings, Lemina and Bertrand on bench hopefully.

We should win this, there's a lot of discontent around Everton right now. They expected to be nearer the top 6 but, as predicted, their manager has completely failed. Their fans (some of the most deluded in the country) aren't happy at all. They've won a couple recently but have been unconvincing.

We really need to turn St. Mary's into a home ground again.

Our home record over the last two years is disgusting, you could tell from the groans throwing away a 2 goal lead AGAIN last night we've been worn down , fans just dont expect us to win at home anymore.

Saints 1-3 Everton

We should win this, there's a lot of discontent around Everton right now. They expected to be nearer the top 6 but, as predicted, their manager has completely failed. Their fans (some of the most deluded in the country) aren't happy at all. They've won a couple recently but have been unconvincing.
All the typical ingredients that precede a Saints defeat then...? ;)

They're a strange team, if they turn up it'll be a very tough game, if they don't we could get 3 big points. Really want to put this home voodoo to bed n all. May see a few tired legs out there, but there are some coming in who will be nice and fresh to balance it out.

Mccarthy

Bednarak, Stephens, Vestergaard

Valery, PEH, Romeu, Bertrand

Redmond, Ings, Amrstrong

Starting XI

Valery---Bednarek----Vestergaard---Bertrand

--------Hojbjerg--Romeu---JWP---------------

Armstrong-----------------------------Redmond

Bench

Gunn

Stephens

Cedric

Lemina

Elyounoussi

Long

Austin

Out of Squad

Ramsay

Targett

Johnson

Slattery

Barnes

Sims

Gallagher

Everton are not very good, I mean neither are we but to be honest we were unlucky to lose against them away and that was under Hughes. I think we are a lot closer to them now.

They seem a bit all over the place and I reckon if we can get the press going, as they like to play out from the back, we will get some joy I reckon.

Hopefully Lemina, Bertrand and Ings will be fit, which together with Hojberg back could be a massive boost.

Romeu is the only worry really, centre-backs never have to do that much running, but with no real alternative DM and him playing into extra time is a worry for how at it he'll be.

Starting XI

Valery---Bednarek----Vestergaard---Bertrand

--------Hojbjerg--Romeu---JWP---------------

Armstrong-----------------------------Redmond

Bench

Gunn

Stephens

Cedric

Lemina

Elyounoussi

Long

Austin

Out of Squad

Ramsay

Targett

Johnson

Slattery

Barnes

Sims

Gallagher

I'd have Gallagher on the bench over long or Austin as a plan B. Last night was the first time I've seen one of our forwards consistently win his headers in a long time he got a few flick ons that someone like Ings would probably make some good use of in the box.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I'd have Gallagher on the bench over long or Austin as a plan B. Last night was the first time I've seen one of our forwards consistently win his headers in a long time he got a few flick ons that someone like Ings would probably make some good use of in the box.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Surely Lemina over Prowse if fit.

I doubt Targett would've been on the bench tonight if Bertrand was ready to start Saturday.

McCarthy,

Valery, Bednarek, Stephens, Vestergaard, Targett

Hojbjerg, Prowsey/Romeu

Redmond, Austin, Armstrong

Whoever's least tired out of Romeu and Prowsey will start I guess

Ings, Lemina and Bertrand on bench hopefully.

Ralph just said he wanted Bertrand to start, but Bertrand said he's still feeling pain.

Yeah - I can't see Bertrand starting Sat tbh, but fingers crossed he's almost there...may be about the time of the transfer window closing...

I'd have JWP instead of Lemina probably at the moment, I don't really want to watch Lemina going through the motions for 90 minutes again ideally, despite him probably being the better player.

Latest news on injuries:

Ralph Hasenhüttl says he will need fresh players for the visit of Everton in the Premier League on Saturday, with the Saints boss able to consider Danny Ings for a return.

Saints went all the way to penalties against Derby County on Wednesday night after extra-time in the Emirates FA Cup third round replay, before bowing out of the competition.

And with some players still on the road to recovery, the boss has hinted at some rotation.

He is helped by the return of Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, Charlie Austin and Yan Valery from suspension, while there is also some positive news on the injury front, with top-scorer Ings available again after a hamstring problem.

"We have to find out who are the players who can be physically so strong that they can play again from the beginning, and we have the chance to bring a few new fresh players in, because we have a few suspended players coming back and Danny Ings's injury is gone, so he can train twice this week," said Hasenhüttl.

"He showed that he's a guy who can score important goals for us. He is back after a small hamstring problem and it doesn't seem that he cannot play 90 minutes on Saturday, so we have to think about it. We have a few options and we have to look in what direction it goes."

Hasenhüttl added: “Michael Obafemi is still not in training so he is out. A few guys are in training but are still having pain so we have to be careful not to push them too much to their limits.

“For example, Lemina still has problems with his stomach and I wanted Ryan Bertrand to play yesterday but it was too early for him because he still has pain.

Pierre-Emile Højbjerg is available again after a four-game suspension

“The good thing is we have players like Sam Galllagher who has come back from his injury and I think he had a good game last night [against Derby]. He showed he can be an option for us in front.

“All the suspended players are coming back like Pierre-Emile Højbjerg, Chaz Austin and Yan Valery, who can all play on Saturday which is a good thing.

“I think we really need fresh players on Saturday because we played 120 minutes, which is tough to go for a lot of them. I can’t make a change or rotate in every position because it is not possible due to the injuries we have, but we will have a look.

"It depends how physically strong every player is and I have a few very strong players and a few who are not so far in their development. That’s why I have to have a good eye on the guys today and tomorrow to see how they feel and how fresh they are.”

Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2019-01-17/team-news-ralph-hasenhuttl-pre-southampton-everton-premier-league

Heard someone sum Everton up once very poignantly- "a club whose fans have delusions of their own mediocrity"!!

------------------------------------- McCarthy -------------------------------------

-------------- Stephens ---------- Vestergaard -------- Bednarek ---------------

Valery ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Targett

--------------------------------------- Romeu --------------------------------------

----------- Redmond --------------- Hojbjerg ----------- Ward-Prowse ----------

---------------------------------------- Ings ----------------------------------------

Subs: Gunn, Ramsey, Jones, Armstong, Sims, Austin, Gallagher

SELL BEFORE WE BUY

Everton manager Marco Silva says the club need let go of some players in order to make new signings. It looks like the January transfer window is tough for everyone.

From Sky sports presser...

Where is all this ambition and determination to break the top six gone :lol:

lol at Chaz Austin, is that an actual quote? Seems odd he used Hojberg and Valery's full names but said 'Chaz' unless he has been completely charmed by ol' Charlie, who from interviews and stuff does seem to be a bit of a charmer and popular with most people.

SELL BEFORE WE BUY

Everton manager Marco Silva says the club need let go of some players in order to make new signings. It looks like the January transfer window is tough for everyone.

£280 million spend or something the last the 3 windows, and they are 10th.

SELL BEFORE WE BUY

That can't be right. It's only us that do that. The rest spend spend spend and can keep their want-away stars without dummy throwing...