Cedric/Maehle

benjii

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if Valery's emergence will impact on future interest in Maehle?

Obviously we will need another RB, but with Valery developing so well I see him as a starter next season, and Maehle would be arriving as a first choice you would think.

Would having both cause one to stop developing?

According to this Mail report (based on a Tuttosport report) Inter want to bring in Darmian in the summer instead of signing up Cedric...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6768763/amp/Inter-Milan-set-send-loanee-Cedric-Soares-Southampton.html

Think this was always their plan in January, but they couldn't get Darmian, so took Cedric on loan until the summer togive them another 6 months to get Darmian over the line.

Think this was always their plan in January, but they couldn't get Darmian, so took Cedric on loan until the summer togive them another 6 months to get Darmian over the line.

Yeah, didn't Utd want a £6m loan fee for Darmian in January?

Maehle in the summer would be good. Him and Valery good competition and exactly what we should be doing.
I imagine that transfer's dead in the water now, with the on-going development of Valery. We're not spending £10m-plus that we don't have on a back up full back - and he wouldn't join to sit on the bench in any case.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

“Lot of interest from Southampton” – Player on Saints January transfer attempt, hopes for future chance

In the winter transfer window, we covered claims from Belgium that Southampton are interested in signing Joakim Maehle of Genk.

On deadline day, Het Belang van Limburg reported the Saints had submitted a €11.5m bid in order to secure the services of the Denmark international.

However, Southampton’s offer was turned down by the Jupiler Pro League outfit.

The right-back joined Genk from Danish club Aalborg BK in 2017 and after spending over two years with the club, he was open to the idea of swapping Genk for the Premier League club.

Unfortunately for him, the two clubs could not agree a fee and he continued with his current employer.

Danish publication BT claims Maehle is considered as one of the best defenders in the Belgian league and they have also gathered comments made by the player about interest from Ralph Hasenhüttl’s side in January.

Regarding Southampton’s interest, he said: “I know it was very concrete – but I really don’t know how close it was. The club wouldn’t sell. And I have no idea how much more was needed before they would sell.”

When further question if he was ready to move to Southampton this winter? Maehle explained: “I don’t know if you can say I was clear or unclear.”

“But, it is certain that there was a lot of interest from Southampton. Hopefully there will be a chance, and then we will see what happens. “

“I’m not on the track to make a summer shift. But there is no doubt that if there is any interest that I feel might be right for me, then I will look twice at it.”

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/lot-interest-southampton-player-disappointed-failed-saints-transfer-january/

I very much doubt we'd be interested in spending north of 10 million on a right back now, given valerys progress, however good we think he might be. Assuming Cedric isn't here next season, we will need cover, but think this particular deal is now dead. Might be that we rely on Ramsey for cover if we revert to Ralph's (apparently) preferred back 4?

Would be a risk but I think Valery is making himself first choice for next season, and if so we have other areas requiring more urgent attention for first choice options IMHO.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Wonder if our interest cooled in Maehle.

Lots of articles about the failed move in January, but it's all been about our retrospective interest rather than anything happening since.

I think this one has been overtaken by events. Valery is now established as our number one right back. Yes he has much to improve but also he has stepped up to the plate this season and done really well and most matches, and he will be our number 1 in this position next season, especially after having a virtual full season in the Prem under his belt.

Young Kayne Ramsey will I am sure, be groomed as the back up - he has potential.

So £12m or so on Maehle now seems too extravagant and the money will be better spent elsewhere.

I think this one has been overtaken by events. Valery is now established as our number one right back. Yes he has much to improve but also he has stepped up to the plate this season and done really well and most matches, and he will be our number 1 in this position next season, especially after having a virtual full season in the Prem under his belt.

Young Kayne Ramsey will I am sure, be groomed as the back up - he has potential.

So £12m or so on Maehle now seems too extravagant and the money will be better spent elsewhere.

I think that’s a very good summary of events.

Don't think Ramsey will be a full back, going forward. He's got Matt Targett syndrome: no real pace. I think the manager views him as a potential CB in a three.

Don't think Ramsey will be a full back, going forward. He's got Matt Targett syndrome: no real pace. I think the manager views him as a potential CB in a three.

Yep. Ramsey is not a wing back type. He's very defensive and a CB who has been pushed to RB. I like him personally, I think he's got something about him and he's got a chance.

• 2 weeks later...
Started at left back too...

Saw both of his goals on SSN, the first was excellent - bursted forward played a 1-2 and dinked over the goalkeeper. Second goal he drifted into the box unmarked similar to Valery goal against Spurs.

Maybe Bertrand is being linked away because we intend to have Maehle covering both full back positions? I didn't know he played left back too.

Maybe Bertrand is being linked away because we intend to have Maehle covering both full back positions? I didn't know he played left back too.

He doesn't. Danish fans I was speaking to were incensed before the game that the manager didn't think he was first choice right back, and that he'd never played left back ever before. He's a RB/RWB/RM.

No idea if we're still interested in signing him, but I'm pretty certain we're not looking at a guy who has filled in at left back once to replace our starting left back.

He doesn't. Danish fans I was speaking to were incensed before the game that the manager didn't think he was first choice right back, and that he'd never played left back ever before. He's a RB/RWB/RM.

No idea if we're still interested in signing him, but I'm pretty certain we're not looking at a guy who has filled in at left back once to replace our starting left back.

Look a bit silly now those fans after that. Manager's know a lot more about players than us lot.

Look a bit silly now those fans after that. Manager's know a lot more about players than us lot.

Not sure that entirely follows. I'm delighted for the young man, but one good performance against Austria's u21 (no idea how good they are, but their first team are not great) is hardly proof that he's the next Philippa Lahm or Dennis Irwin.

Happy for us to sign him and discover he is, just not going to get carried away just yet.

Saw both of his goals on SSN, the first was excellent - bursted forward played a 1-2 and dinked over the goalkeeper. Second goal he drifted into the box unmarked similar to Valery goal against Spurs.

If he has scored 2 goals, then he will have caught the eye of bigger clubs than us. We will be outbid now. :( Hope we can get him. I love being wrong.

• 7 months later...

You have to wonder why no team in Europe has bought Maehle when Genk are one of the ultimate selling clubs and he is supposedly cheap by PL standards.

Must be something that puts scouts off and that you don't see in the 5min YT clips that are probably the only time most on here (myself included) have seen him play.

No. I think he signed a contract extension with Genk in around September. So he'll be more expensive than when we allegedly had £11m turned down last January.

Wasn’t it quoted he was available for less than that in the last transfer window? Thanks for the info tho - though he might be on a free in the summer.

Has ANYONE ever seen Maehle play? He seems to get better each week, without anyone actually ever seeing him play.

Wasn't there an old thread where each country was matched with a SWF member?

I wonder who the Belgian football expert was?

• 2 months later...