Cedric/Maehle

benjii

A loan would not be the best move in the world. Another loan would show how desperate we are to get rid of him, if he were to return in the summer value would be even lower.

All these loans (Davis aside), just show what rotten recruitment we have had over the last few years.

Fingers crossed for perm. and we can get a few quid in.

@adamleitchsport: Cedric set to move to Inter Milan on loan with with the option for a permanent deal in the summer. As it stands, Maehle talk unlikely to lead to a January deal as Hasenhuttl tries to reduce squad numbers. More likely in the summer #SaintsFC

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17383195.southampton-defender-cedric-soares-set-to-move-to-inter-milan/

Christ. So our RB options for the rest of the season would be Valery as first choice, with Stephens as back up?

Somewhat light I would suggest!

Ralph must have a hell of a lot of belief in Valery IF we aren’t bringing a replacement for Cedric in until the summer

Ralph must have a hell of a lot of belief in Valery IF we aren’t bringing a replacement for Cedric in until the summer

It’s only an option to buy so chances are he will be back here in the summer with all the rest of them.

There is no way we will be adding more players unless we actually sell.

Loan fee is supposedly €500k with only an ‘option’ to buy set at €11m. Presumably Inter will look to get that figure down too, particularly with Wee Ross in charge of the negotiations.

If we aren’t going to replace it seems a pretty pointless deal. I’m not Cedric’s biggest fan but would rather have him around as cover for that sort of shrapnel.

Another self-harming decision in the vein of Fonte and VvD? Let’s hope we don’t live to regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we aren’t bringing someone else in, then this is just bizarre; less than a million and it clearly weakens the squad.

Maybe - but it is quite clear that Ralph does not rate him and is not in his plans. If he has been a prima donna in the dressing room then I applaud Ralph: he is trying to change what sounds like it had become a toxic dressing room with certain players ruling the roost to one where everyone works together.

We can already see that in how the players are performing on the pitch now.

Deal agreed - €1m loan fee, €11m in the summer (no obligation to buy)

Pathetic from our board

If thats true awful deal, we are so weak at full back, who knows when Bertrand will be back, Targett picks up quite a few knocks so Cedric has filled in at left back, plus despite having weaknesses he is still much stronger at right back than Valery and Ramsay.

Why are we incapable in selling our players and end up being stitched up with these loans. Boufal, Hoedt, Carillo etc etc just .massive waste of money with little return. If Inter want Cedric enough hold out for them to cough up a transfer fee, otherwise keep him.

Gao must be looking to reduce the outgoings significantly

Why are we incapable in selling our players and end up being stitched up with these loans. Boufal, Hoedt, Carillo etc etc just .massive waste of money with little return. If Inter want Cedric enough hold out for them to cough up a transfer fee, otherwise keep him.

Gao must be looking to reduce the outgoings significantly

Could be quite difficult considering Inters FFP problems.

If we aren’t bringing someone else in, then this is just bizarre; less than a million and it clearly weakens the squad.

Wee Ross not faring any better despite not having gramps to take to the toilet. Even if RH didn’t rate Cedric the squad is so weak there that deal is pathetically poor for a regular international.

Plenty more useless turd to clear out of the club yet.

Doesn’t everyone hate Cedric?

Not really. Some people think a la Hoedt he has an attitude problem and isn't as good as he believes he is. But unlike Hoedt he has shown quality and does the basics very well.

Ultimately there isn't much depth, quality or experience behind him - after Bertrand (injured) he is clearly our second best fullback. I suspect if we were really in a relegation dogfight, we would have thought twice. But for €1m -and an option to buy the upside for us is very limited.

Not really. Some people think a la Hoedt he has an attitude problem and isn't as good as he believes he is. But unlike Hoedt he has shown quality and does the basics very well.

Ultimately there isn't much depth, quality or experience behind him - after Bertrand (injured) he is clearly our second best fullback. I suspect if we were really in a relegation dogfight, we would have thought twice. But for €1m -and an option to buy the upside for us is very limited.

I see. Could be the deal that sends us down.

This would be a poor decision if it was only a loan with no obli To buy. I understand Ralph’s transfer policy of reducing the squad and not bringing players in for the sake of it.

Ralph has already said that with the players currently in the squad he cannot play a back 4 as we are weak at the back, so it means continually playing a back 3. Which is ok when Yoshida comes back to support our existing centre backs. It leaves our wing back situation extremely weak and inexperienced with valley and Ramsay on the right and target and Bertrand on the left.

Other posters have mentioned that Stephens and Bednarek can play right back or wing back but they have no pace or fit in to Ralph’s attacking pacey ideal for that position. I really hope we have someone lined up to replace Cedric and it’s not just selling for the sake of it!

Cedric may not be everybody’s cup of tea but I would rather keep him until the summer and then sell.

Not comfortable at all with Cedric leaving and no replacement coming in. Supreme complacency if that's what happens.

agreed. If Valery gets injured/sent off/loses form before the end of the season what do we do? Play an 18 yr old who isn’t ready? Ralph may not rate Cedric BUT to have a player who is a full international able to come in - and play either side I might add - is a hell of a lot better than the alternative we have left ourselves with

Not comfortable at all with Cedric leaving and no replacement coming in. Supreme complacency if that's what happens.

Let's hope there is a replacement. If not, it's very rash.

Totally agree. The last few games prove that surely? We have seen Valery, a young player with potential, but he has made bad decisions on the pitch, getting sent off and suspended. We also have both senior left backs with injuries. And Ramsey is a complete novice at this stage, would be crazy to place any reliance on him in a premier League relegation battle.

Meanwhile, Cedric has been called on to play a significant chunk of each of the last 3 games where we have picked up crucial wins and points. Why would we think we think we can sell or loan him without replacing with another recognised full back?

This seems like more of the complacent nonsense that has seen us sink towards potential relegation in the last couple of seasons.

I get the point about reducing squad size but it shouldn't be in areas we are already very weak in!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I thought our willingness to sell Cedric is precisely because he's one of our few marketable assets This deal, if reported correctly, flies directly in the face of that logic.
Yes, exactly. Letting Cedric go only makes sense if we get a sizeable fee that we can reinvest in a replacement full back and possibly put the rest towards strengthening another position. Otherwise, we just make ourselves weaker?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

On Twitter, Simon Peach has been saying that Cedric has been wanting to leave for some time and is running down his contract. It puts the club in a more difficult situation, particularly as Cedric probably falls into the not as good as he thinks he is category.

I’ll wait for the details of the deal before grabbing a pitchfork and storming Ross Wilson’s office, but you’d hope the club could secure an obligation to purchase rather than an option. It seems to leave us short at the RB position and without cover at LB considering both Bertrand and Targett are dealing with injuries, if the deal does not free up the budget to bring in a replacement.

Maybe Cedric is incredibly disruptive behind the scenes? Maybe Ralph thinks that either Bertrand or Targett can fill in at RB if pushed? He’s on sizeable wages and in the summer will have a year left. I agree an obligation to buy would be much preferred and given we will have shipped out or a combination of the wages of Gabbi / Davis / Hoedt and Cedric - you would hope there is some wiggle room for a loan signing at least?