Cedric/Maehle

benjii

Right he's definitely gone then. I reserve the right to be concerned that we might not get a replacement in during this window and that if we don't we are taking one hell of a risk.

Relax, the mighty forum has spoken and said it's all good and we are safe, and summer's the time to recruit. For now, just shift everything you can cos RH is the the 2nd coming - do we really need that many plants in reception - forum please deal with.

Lemina has played right wing back. I'd be surprised if we didn't use him there.

Anyone else think this could be an option? Granted he's been out of action, but on current form I think Romeu, hoj and jwp must be ahead of him in the midfield pecking order.

If we can't get maehle until the summer I'd rather we didn't spend on a stop-gap, especially as a backup.

Right he's definitely gone then. I reserve the right to be concerned that we might not get a replacement in during this window and that if we don't we are taking one hell of a risk.

Agree. If we don’t replace him we are taking a massive gamble. We’re only 3 points above the relegation zone and Valery is a red card waiting to happen at times.

I've just remembered something. Lemina has played as both a winger and a wing-back in the past.

With Romeu and Hojbjerg the first choice CM partnership and JWP providing good competition for them, maybe Ralph will be looking to try Mario out in the RWB role?

He should have the pace and physical attributes to play there.

I've just remembered something. Lemina has played as both a winger and a wing-back in the past.

With Romeu and Hojbjerg the first choice CM partnership and JWP providing good competition for them, maybe Ralph will be looking to try Mario out in the RWB role?

He should have the pace and physical attributes to play there.

I think Lemina is a great player, but I'd have reservations about his discipline playing in a full back position. Not sure we can risk him having one of those days where he doesn't fancy chasing back after an attack breaks down...

Fair play to Cedric tonight. Stepped up in the shoot out to score a pen for Inter after having just come on to make his debut in extra time of a cup quarter final v Lazio. Lost in the end but didn't shirk the pressure in San Siro.
Took the deciding pen at Everton, it's not new to him.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Fair play to Cedric tonight. Stepped up in the shoot out to score a pen for Inter after having just come on to make his debut in extra time of a cup quarter final v Lazio. Lost in the end but didn't shirk the pressure in San Siro.
That's because he is great at penalties.

Took the deciding pen at Everton, it's not new to him.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Oh I know it's not new to him. Was just watching game and thought that for anyone making their debut in front of a home crowd in an important game, volunteering to take a pen was fairly brave. Miss it and they instantly don't fancy you. Crowd wasn't any bigger than when we were there, but as I'm sure you'll remember from that night, they can be a hostile bunch. There's plenty players would've dodged the potential bullet. He's still not tall enough though :)

Oh I know it's not new to him. Was just watching game and thought that for anyone making their debut in front of a home crowd in an important game, volunteering to take a pen was fairly brave. Miss it and they instantly don't fancy you. Crowd wasn't any bigger than when we were there, but as I'm sure you'll remember from that night, they can be a hostile bunch. There's plenty players would've dodged the potential bullet. He's still not tall enough though :)

Wait till they see him put a cross in, or try to defend the back post.

People need to wait until the end of the window before claiming we are weaker. :)
Last January we had plenty of confidence and ITK smiley faces about Walcott and then Promes. What we got when we "waited until the end of the window" was ITK "ah, yes, but, you see, it didn't quite work out".

The January before that we had plenty of confidence and ITK smiley faces about various Centre Backs. What we got when we "waited until the end of the window" was ITK "ah, yes, but, you see, it didn't quite work out" and then utter desperation in signing Caceres eight days later.

So I am quite happy to wait until the end of the window, no problem at all, but I retain my right to think the exact same thing - we think we're being master negotiators and leave everything until the very last minute and then oh no something unexpected happened it's not our fault - is perfectly likely to happen yet again.

And here we are.

This probably entered his and his agents heads whilst mulling over a move to a club in a relegation fight.

Would a loan with obligation to buy if we retain our Premier League status not have been a viable option for all parties? The only outcome where Genk/Maehle lose out would be if we were relegated and he was terrible.

Edited by mrfahaji

Maehle talks about Southampton’s big January offer to sign him, failed move, future chances

When claims first started coming from Italy of Inter Milan interest in Cedric Soares, and the move started to look like it would be really happening, there was a claim Southampton were looking at Joakim Maehle to replace him.

Then it was reported in Belgium that the Premier League club had made an offer worth around €11.5m. Genk knocked it back, despite the amount being a big deal in Belgian football, clearly feeling they may be able to get more for the Denmark international in the summer window or beyond.

Maehle has been speaking to Het Belang van Limburg about the offer, and the Belgian newspaper put it to him that, for the money Southampton put forward, more than 20 luxury houses could be built in Belgium.

The footballer laughed, and replied: “In Denmark you’d also get that done well. It is difficult to grasp, it also remains virtual. I do not think too much about it, the money itself is not the most important thing at this moment of my career. I know that many people will be surprised. In Denmark they already had wide eyes when Genk paid about €1.3m for me.”

Asked if the amount surprised him, Maehle said: “Yes and no. This is hard to grasp but I know from myself that I am taking steps forward. What’s more, the team is doing well: we are leading and attracting attention. KRC Genk is a club with a very good name in Europe, many top talents have already left for big clubs. These aspects all have an influence on value in the player market.”

Speaking well, something which stands out with young Danish footballers, the fullback spoke about the missed opportunity: “I’m not going to say that I wasn’t interested. This was a nice proposal from a big club from a top competition. But at the same time I have full understanding of Genk’s point of view. They have also been very clear from the beginning: in this winter market all starters ​​remain on board. I can only respect that. Because let me make it clear: I am still very happy here. (Smiles) I do not grieve but fully focus on the rest of the season. We still have so much to gain.”

Given he came relatively close to signing for Southampton last month, Het Belang van Limburg asked the player if his future is in the Premier League: “We will see that. If I keep on performing, this opportunity definitely needs to happen again. But whether that will be at the same club or in the same competition, you cannot predict now.”

This is almost certainly one Southampton will be keeping an eye on.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/joakim-maehle-southampton/

At the time of the deal someone in the online Italian press (Tuttomercato again I think, so not 100% reliable) said that Inter had no intention of signing Cedric permanently and were using him as a stop gap prior to signing Napoli’s Hysaj as their permanent RB, in the summer.

Not sure this matter does it? Was always just a loan with an option anyway.

So it was always a possibility they wouldn't take him permanently. If anything it might encourage him to work harder, since he clearly does not want to come back.

Also, as much as I am sure TuttoMercartoWeb is about as reputable as any other source, it is just an opinion from one journo.

Not losing sleep over it either way.

• 2 weeks later...