Cedric/Maehle

benjii

A lot of people are slating Cédric Soares in this thread, but it should be remembered that he has played in and won a European Championship final.

In the pantheon of great Southampton players, only Alan Ball's World Cup winners medal trumps Cédric's achievement (and José Fonte's) so how about we all afford him the respect that he is due.

He's been a good servant of the club, a true professional and nothing short of an absolute gentleman.

These petty and disparaging comments from certain elements within our fanbase are embarrassing in the extreme.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

A lot of people are slating Cédric Soares in this thread, but it should be remembered that he has played in and won a European Championship final.

He hardly stood out from memory. He's been a good servant. But has never produced as consistently as Clyne did when he was here.

If there is someone Ralph likes and wants and Cedric wants to go then it's thanks mate and good luck, for me anyway.

In the pantheon of great Southampton players, only Alan Ball's World Cup winners medal trumps Cédric's achievement (and José Fonte's) so how about we all afford him the respect that he is due.

He's been a good servant of the club, a true professional and nothing short of an absolute gentleman.

These petty and disparaging comments from certain elements within our fanbase are embarrassing in the extreme.

Well said, he’s been a half decent player. Not a great, but pretty decent. Certainly better than some are making out.

Doubt I’ll ever see a Saints player picking up a Euro or World Cup winners medal again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I always though Cedric's 1v1 defending on the ground was pretty good.

He obviously struggles against tall players in the air and can be out-muscled by powerful players like Lukaku but his timing of the tackle was always very good and he rarely got beaten by pace or skill when in position.

Going forward he is patchy. His crossing is hit and miss, especially when he delivers on the run.

I don't think he's been bad for us, but he's certainly not as much of a threat as Bertrand has been on the other side when fit.

The 1966 World Cup win was 10 years before Alan Ball joined Saints.

At least Terry Paine was a Southampton player when he won the World Cup (although the medal only came in 2009)... ;)

1789998.jpg?display=1&htype=100000&type=responsive-gallery

Agreed. I never thought he was as bad as some on this platform make him out to be. He's a decent attacking option (didn't he used to play right wing?) and I see makes some decent tackles during the game. Perhaps there are better defensive and attacking options at right-back out there, and his decision-making has left me exasperated more than once, and I'd be happy to see what other options we can bring in. In the same breath I won't be happy per se that he's gone.

The 1966 World Cup win was 10 years before Alan Ball joined Saints.

At least Terry Paine was a Southampton player when he won the World Cup (although the medal only came in 2009)... ;)

1789998.jpg?display=1&htype=100000&type=responsive-gallery

I didn't think it necessary to mention the universally acknowledged fact that Alan Ball wasn't a Saints player when he received his medal, but, as the forum's 'crushing bore in residence', you obviously did.

So I shall return the favour, and point out, as per my original post, that Terry Paine didn't actually play in the final, whereas Messrs Soares and Fonte did.

[emoji106][emoji122]

Agreed, I am absolutely sick of reading attacks on our own players from our own 'fans'. I come on this site hoping to get some news of a new signing and all I get is criticism of the present players and posters attacking each other. Its a bit sad.

I didn't think it necessary to mention the universally acknowledged fact that Alan Ball wasn't a Saints player when he received his medal, but, as the forum's 'crushing bore in residence', you obviously did.

So I shall return the favour, and point out, as per my original post, that Terry Paine didn't actually play in the final, whereas Messrs Soares and Fonte did.

You should know by now that MLG doesn’t do sentiment he only deals in fact. [emoji3]

Agreed, I am absolutely sick of reading attacks on our own players from our own 'fans'. I come on this site hoping to get some news of a new signing and all I get is criticism of the present players and posters attacking each other. Its a bit sad.

Isn’t ‘hoping for new signings’ saying the present ones aren’t good enough? Just a twist on the same criticism.

Just saying .....

Yeah only won 1 game in regulation time, drew with mighty countries like Hungary and Austria.

They won the european championship like the Greek team won the championship v portugal in2004 - all extra time and penalties.

Lets not overblow this

Yeah only won 1 game in regulation time, drew with mighty countries like Hungary and Austria.

They won the european championship like the Greek team won the championship v portugal in2004 - all extra time and penalties.

Lets not overblow this

Whereas England on the other hand...

It was a tremendous achievement by a relatively small country, it's ridiculous to belittle their success. They also matched and beat the hosts and favourites in the final.

Well said. You are not the only one.

Hear, Hear! That's at least two of us. The vile abuse of Cedric is a step too far and a new low for so-called Saints fans.

Decent player Cedric. Don't really understand the abuse, sometimes you only realise what you had once you lose it. I really hope that his replacement is the dogs doodahs or it won't be long before he's getting pelters.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

He's had 3 terrible managers, but he was also part of our best ever prem finish and won the euros. He's a good player and he has always tried when on the pitch. Some of our fans are a joke, only complaining... and do it all the time.

Some perspective please, the vast majority of what has been wrong at saints was due to Reed. He has gone now and things will most certainly improve. The continuous slating of players that try is not required and does the club no favours.

Edited by JustMike
Removed the stupid comparison to cancer!

I think everyone is aligned on thanking him for his service at 60k a week.

Does he think he is better than he is ? Yes I believe so

Did have have proper competition for his place ? No

Could of be had better managers and improved ? Yes

He won't leave a hole like Mane did but he won't be forgotten.

He's had 3 terrible managers, but he was also part of our best ever prem finish and won the euros. He's a good player and he has always tried when on the pitch. Some of our fans are a joke, only complaining... and do it all the time.

Some perspective please, the vast majority of what has been wrong at saints was due to cancer Reed. He has gone now and things will most certainly improve. The continuous slating of players that try is not required and does the club no favours.

I agree with you about Cedric, he’s been ok. But Les Reed equals cancer, really?

Lets not overblow this

So they had a good defense then.

Its interesting that Bertrand has dropped his level just as much as Cedric but seems to get far less stick.

Always seemed a solid player and was a good signing, his last 18 months have been poor but hes been in a poor team with poor managers. Probably was the best right back outside the top 6 for a good couple of years when we were playing well.

Its interesting that Bertrand has dropped his level just as much as Cedric but seems to get far less stick.

Always seemed a solid player and was a good signing, his last 18 months have been poor but hes been in a poor team with poor managers. Probably was the best right back outside the top 6 for a good couple of years when we were playing well.

Because Bertrand is a much better player than Cedric.