Cedric/Maehle

benjii

Someone mentioned to me earlier Arsenal should sign Cedric. Not a bad idea I thought! Won’t be that expensive as his contract runs out next summer. I think he’s crap, but neutrals seem to think he’s not, so who knows!

Telegraph says they are unlikely to sign another one as they have Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Stephan Lichtsteiner and if they remember where they've hidden him, Carl Jenkinson.

Odd when CB and striker arguably more important. Hey ho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't agree with this at all....we are well stocked at CB. Certainly until the summer. The way that all 3 have come on since Ralph means it is as not as pressing and with Yoshi to come back that will give us plenty of CBs (and Bertrand could cover here).

Striker - possibly. Someone pacey but even here it might be best waiting until summer and getting the right player in and not panic like last January with Carillo

This deal won’t go ahead unless we agree a fee with Genk you would think.

Our right back slot is too weak without Cedrics cover.

Hope you're right. Too many are keen to whittle down the squad - for good reason of course and justified - without thinking through the full implications for the remainder of the season if replacements aren't brought in.

Although Cedric hasn't lived up to all our hopes of a RB,I don't think he's in the Hoedt class for being written off, and don't think we should be relying on Valery just yet.

I think Ralph wants more pace in the team, especially down the flanks, and Mæhle has it.

Fair enough. Can’t help thinking we are screwed in the attacking third pace-wise if Redmond gets injured. And we’re still a bit knife through butter at the back.

Cedric has been a little bit off the pace for some time. I don't think his crossing is particularly good either and when you have players like Ings and Austin who can score with their heads, maybe RH is looking for someone with more quality in that area. Bit like Targett - he has definitely inproved his ball in the box technique!

Fingers crossed they have a plan if he does leave!

Overall I'm not too worried he is going.

We’ve done fine without Cedric. Not really bothered when he goes

He did play the full game in the clean sheet at Chelsea, and was on the pitch for a significant chunk of time in both of the last 2 wins, so not sure that is totally true to be honest?

We should only sell if we can definitely get a first teamer in to replace him now, otherwise we will be weaker.

Not odd when you need to raise money and seem to have cheaper and potentially better in what manager wants lined up .

Cedric is replaceable and a saleable asset with 18 months left and optimum time to sell.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Maybe there isn't a striker or CB available who we want?

And this is going to be a relatively cost-neutral pair of transfers so it's not an alternative to signing a striker or centre back.

Now we've got rid of Hoedt there is space for a CB.

I can't see us signing a striker in January unless Austin is moved on.

Don't see the point in losing him unless we have a replacement. He is an experienced player and solid defender, I'd reckon Ralf rates him less not because of his ability, but I reckon its an attitude thing.

Remember as well he has been covering left back as well, as Bertrand may not be ready for a little while yet, so if Targett gets a knock we have problems.

Don't see the point in losing him unless we have a replacement. He is an experienced player and solid defender, I'd reckon Ralf rates him less not because of his ability, but I reckon its an attitude thing.

Remember as well he has been covering left back as well, as Bertrand may not be ready for a little while yet, so if Targett gets a knock we have problems.

Don't think there's any chance of him going without a replacement being lined up.

Whether Inter will pay what we want would be another matter.

I read that Inter want Cedric because Vrsaljko hasn't delivered in his loan spell from Atletico. Thought he was brilliant for Croatia in the World Cup - if a loan to Inter is above him, perhaps a loan to us isn't? It does sound like he has struggled with injuries though, so perhaps too big a risk (if even viable).

No thanks.

Imagine trying to come up with a song for him! :?

I give you the Kinks:

Ezekiel here, Ezekiel there

His clothes are loud, but never square

It will make or break him so he's got to buy the best

'Cause he's a dedicated follower of fashion

Would we consider that Ezekiel Squeletto (spelling, cba) from Brighton? They want to find a new home for him.

Turned him down once already, could have had him on loan from Inter as part of the Osvaldo deal. We went for Taider instead.

Southampton ‘started contacts’ with club for 21-year-old, replacement for Saints player

Earlier today, we covered a report from Calciomercato, who explained that Inter Milan have set their sights on Southampton’s Cedric Soares and have already contacted the English club and the defender’s entourage for transfer.

It was also claimed that if the Nerazzurri receive positive signs, then they are ready to close the deal.

Gazzetta dello Sport went slightly differently and said Inter had already moved on to Matteo Darmian.

Another Italian outlet, Sport Mediaset, claims the Serie A side have received ‘positive signals’ for the right-back, while the Premier League outfit are already looking to bring in a replacement and have identified Joakim Maehle of Genk as a target.

Regarding the Portugal international, it’s stated he has a market value of €15m (which seems laughable) and Inter’s plan is to take him initially on loan with the option for redemption after the end of the season.

They want to have their cake and eat it.

Should Cedric leave the Premier League outfit, then the Saints will shift their focus towards the Jupiler Pro League defender.

According to the report, ‘contacts started’ between Southampton and Genk for Maehle, whose is contracted to the Belgian club until 2020.

The 21-year-old has scored once and registered seven assists in all competitions for Genk this season.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/southampton-started-contacts-club-21-year-old-replacement-saints-player/

From Portugal: Southampton and Inter Milan have ‘pre-agreement’, move to be done in next few days

Portuguese newspapers A Bola and O Jogo both report today that Cedric Soares is close to leaving Southampton to join Inter Milan.

Starting with A Bola, they say the negotiations are well advanced, and the player should move on a €20m deal.

The right-back is expected to sign a four and a half year contract with the Nerazzurri.

They say Cedric is very excited to sign for one of the biggest clubs in Italian football, and although he had a sentimental link with Southampton, the fact he’s lost his spot in the team made him decide to leave the club.

O Jogo’s report doesn’t have that many details, but says that Inter Milan and Southampton already have a pre-agreement for the transfer, and the move should be made official in the next few days.

The outlet also claims that the reason Cedric is leaving the Saints is because he’s not being used by manager Ralph Hasenhutti.

Signed from Sporting on a €7m deal in 2015, Cedric Soares has made 119 appearances for Southampton so far.

Source: http://sportwitness.co.uk/portugal-southampton-inter-milan-pre-agreement-move-done-next-days/

Edited by SuperSAINT

No thanks.

Imagine trying to come up with a song for him! :?

O sole mio (just one cornetto for those old enough) immediately springs to mind.

Ezequiel Schelotto

give him to me

tremendous full back

from Italy

...yeah I know, I'm wasted on here.

O sole mio (just one cornetto for those old enough) immediately springs to mind.

Ezequiel Schelotto

give him to me

tremendous full back

from Italy

...yeah I know, I'm wasted on here.

you forgot to add the obligatory .... "and he hates Pompey" on the end of it..

The Sun claiming an 'exclusive' that Cedric is off to Inter. (FWIW, they mention a permanent deal).

SOUTHAMPTON full-back Cedric Soares is in talks with Inter Milan over a move to Italy.

The Portugal international, 27, has been allowed to leave St Mary’s as part of Ralph Hasenhuttl’s shake-up this month.

Hasenhuttl has given Soares just one start in the Premier League since taking over from Mark Hughes and getting the club out of the relegation zone.

The clubs are in talks over a permanent deal, with Inter targeting a right-back and tracking Ashley Young and Antonio Valencia from Manchester United.

But Soares is now in pole position with sources close to the ex-Sporting Lisbon star hopeful that a deal can be thrashed out.

Soares has just one full season left on his deal at Saints.

However, they could look to cash in now after Hasenhuttl made him available.

The Austrian coach wants to work with a smaller squad for the second half of the season.

The St Mary's chief has already allowed Manolo Gabbiadini to leave for Sampdoria.

Meanwhile, Wesley Hoedt has been shipped out on loan to Celta Vigo until the end of the season.

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/8270509/southampton-soares-inter-transfer/

What did we pay for him originally? Was it around £6m?

To make a tidy profit on a player whose performances have gone backwards and who only has 18 months left on his contract would be a very welcome bonus.

Report above says 7 million euros, IIRC its was about £4.5 million at the time, back in the day when transfer fees were less over the top. IF (big if) we sell him for £15 - 17 million, plus having got 2-3 good years out of him, then it will turn into a very good transfer for the club.

I am presuming we will end up paying about the same for his replacement though, but as a 21 year old who could potentially become a lot better than Cedric that is a good deal.

Hopefully this all goes through.

Give it to Ron posted this on the Transfer Thread. Di Marzio saying Loan with option to buy:

Inter-Southampton, negotiations for Cedric continue positively: deal attainable

It has been confirmed that the negotiations that could bring Cedric Soares to Inter are moving along quickly. After the advanced talks yesterday evening, in the last hours that have been new conversations that have been positive.

A loan with an option to purchase, this is the formula in which would bring Cedric Soares to Inter from Southampton. Negotiations are moving along smoothly and can be closed quickly.

Source: https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/inter-southampton-negotiations-for-cedric-continue-positively-deal-attainable

Would be surprised/disappointed if we couldn't shift Cedric on a permanent deal. I understand why the likes of Boufal and Hoedt have had to go out on loan, but Cedric has proven credentials (even if many of us think they don't reflect his true ability) and he would probably be in the first team if a move wasn't in the offing.