Kayne Ramsay - Official: Loaned to Crewe

kitch

He was poor in my opinion. Didnt look comfortable with ball at his feet. He should have covered stephens and marked waghorn who scored with a free header. Thats what a good full back does. Seems to lack pace as well. He's clearly very young and inexperienced so have to take that into account but for me Valery far better at the moment.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

yeah I thought he looked very out of his depth, as he did against city, didn't really seem to offer much defensively or going forward and doesn't look comfortable with the ball at all. I have no problem with giving the youngsters ago but Kayne hasn't shown me anything over two games to get excited about by contrast I thought Johnson looked promising very quick and put in some good crosses as well.

I must be watching something else or others are watching Barcelona Real Madrid every week, from my seat in the ground thought he looked tidy throughout.

Whilst some blaming him and Stephens for the second goal, I would toss into it that Gunn looked like he played with a “what’s the point” demeanour after McCarthy was confirmed as Ralph’s #1, and having seen Gunn play in a much more dynamic way, the pair of them whilst possibly guilty of a bit of “after you Sir......no after you” were expecting the keeper to come and clean it out as he has done previously.

Yes we are in a perilous position in the league, I really don’t get this constant knocking of the academy lads when they are making their first steps in the team, yes they are going to be a bit green and wet behind the ears. Pretty sure that if they were pants the manager wouldn’t pick them then leave them on the pitch if they were having a mare. And in Ralph I am much more prepared already to trust his judgement, far more than the last 2 incumbents. Last night both Ramsey and Johnson looked far more capable than Armstrong in the first half, and Elyonoussi the whole damn game, both cost good money and both have far more game time miles on the clock.

Funny how we all see things differently!

I was there, and I thought he did well all things considered. Didn't need bailing out too often, won some headers etc. OK so he's not going to be a starter for years to come, but I think the foundations are there.

Didn't make many runs down the wing, but then we seemed to be playing through the middle anyway.

For me it was Tyreke Johnson who looked out of his depth, and I'm guessing Ralph thought so too, hence why he was hauled off.

Funny how we all see things differently!

I was there, and I thought he did well all things considered. Didn't need bailing out too often, won some headers etc. OK so he's not going to be a starter for years to come, but I think the foundations are there.

Didn't make many runs down the wing, but then we seemed to be playing through the middle anyway.

For me it was Tyreke Johnson who looked out of his depth, and I'm guessing Ralph thought so too, hence why he was hauled off.

I think Johnson was taken off because he was on a yellow ( for an admittedly rash challenge) and Ralph didn't want a repeat of the Lesicester game.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Didn't disgrace himself, looked about on par with Stephens / Vestergaard in the first half and no worse defensively at RB than Cedric had been at LB. Didn't really offer anything going forward but by then the onus was on the attacking players to make something happen.

Tyreke Johnson looked bright at times but had a tough half, got a silly booking and didn't really look ready.

Thought Slattery looked composed enough and got involved when he came on.

Very young and inexperienced and his performance was promising, but not yet anywhere near ready for first team football IMO. Valery is better than him for sure, but lets not forget that Ramsey has only recently turned 18 (October).

Thought Johnson looked decent apart from a bit rash with various challenges, clearly not a left back at the moment. Some nice balls into the box.

Slattery looked the most un-phased, thought he slotted in nicely, and certainly didn't look out of his depth. Promising and it's great these boys are getting a chance in the first team squad - they'll be learning every week.

Sorry - but I'm in the 'wasn't impressed at all' camp. That said - I didn't think that any of the youngsters had a particularly good night if I'm honest. As for why people are continually calling for Gallagher to be given a go up top, I'm baffled. Really didn't see anything but a clumsy lumbering forward without any real technique. There might be players in all of these kids, but going on what I saw last night I wouldn't be throwing them in the deep end of the premiership any time soon.

It’s annoying these players can’t all be instantly brilliant, and I for one won’t give them any time to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too right! Every academy product should be Bske or take out and shot. Joking aside I think being a youngster in a pretty solid first team is very different to being one of a few in a less established team so valery has been at a real advantage there.

Yeah, good physical tools to work with.

But he's only 18 & hasn't played a huge amount of games for the U23's yet.

The good sign is that Ralph is casting his net far and wide, obviously really looking into detail at what he has to select at all levels. Which is refreshing.

Previous managers were just too keen to stick with tried and tested over rated rubbish. About time we had someone in charge who is keen to give everything a bit of tlc.

To me he looked a little bit out of his depth if I'm honest. Looks like there may be something to work with, but not yet.

Putting him alongside a quality CB pairing would certainly help him stand out more.

IMHO we lack a leader at the back who controls the defensive line like VVD did.

I think we've all been spoiled by watching the likes of Bale, Shaw, Walcott etc come through the academy and be instant superstars.

Reality is most young players need time to develop and require a lot of patience. I thought Ramsay, Johnson and Slattery were all ok, without being spectacular. Certainly can't see what any of them did to deserve being labelled as awful. I'd agree with others that Gallagher was probably most disappointing of the youngsters, but it's a bit unfair to judge him just on that brief cameo.

I think we've all been spoiled by watching the likes of Bale, Shaw, Walcott etc come through the academy and be instant superstars.

Reality is most young players need time to develop and require a lot of patience. I thought Ramsay, Johnson and Slattery were all ok, without being spectacular. Certainly can't see what any of them did to deserve being labelled as awful. I'd agree with others that Gallagher was probably most disappointing of the youngsters, but it's a bit unfair to judge him just on that brief cameo.

to be fair, Gallagher had Ely and Redmond not giving him the ball and should have been on much sooner.

I thought Ramsey, Johnson, Callum did well considering how few minutes of senior football they've had.

I thought he looked significantly out of his depth - which is hardly a suprise as he has played very little U23 football.

At fault for the disallowed Derby goal, the Waghorn goal and the headed chance Lawrence somehow missed.

Barely any forward passes, barely any crisply struck passes.

He must be promising to get a game at such a young age, and its an ideal opportunity to give him experience, but he was a clear weak link last night, just as he was vs City.

Not knocking him, as you can't expect much more - but anyone who thought he was good I would have to question.

to be fair, Gallagher had Ely and Redmond not giving him the ball and should have been on much sooner.

I thought Ramsey, Johnson, Callum did well considering how few minutes of senior football they've had.

This. Gallagher was totally starved of service, and I think grew frustrated as time went on. Early doors, he was winning most aerial battles and holding up the ball quite well, but as the match progressed he looked a little bit despondent. It's his first game back in god knows how long, so let's not write him off yet.

I thought he looked significantly out of his depth - which is hardly a suprise as he has played very little U23 football.

At fault for the disallowed Derby goal, the Waghorn goal and the headed chance Lawrence somehow missed.

He must be promising to get a game at such a young age, and its an ideal opportunity to give him experience, but he was a clear weak link last night, just as he was vs City.

Not knocking him, as you can't expect much more - but anyone who thought he was good I would have to question.

You were at a different game to me then.. thought he played well and certainly not at fault for their goals..Stephens lost his man for the header which is a reoccurring fault of his.

Hassenhüttl sees a lot of potential in him or he wouldn’t be continually in the squad.

Some of our fans are too quick to write players off and brand them "sh*t" when they're not an instant hit (Redmond the latest example) but young players now have a tougher job breaking into and making it in a PL side. All our 'superstar' youngsters that were almost overnight sensations a few years back had the luxury of time and the less intense environment of the lower leagues.

With the caveat of him being a youngster and only his second (?) appearance he was ok. Certainly at fault for losing his man a couple of times, one for the second Derby goal. There wasn’t anything rash, a tidy performance and better than Johnson.

I wouldn’t discount any of them and certainly performed better than Elyounoussi who obviously needs a rocket or a hug to improve depending on what he responds to as a person.

Didn't get to see the Man City game so last night was my first view of him. Thought he looked relatively solid without flattering, but a few moments to forget.

not sure he's one for the first team yet but he definitely has enough about him to be in our plans for the future. Leave him in the U23's for the season and send him on loan next year, it did Stephens wonders. Look after this kid and we've got a decent player, but not one who can offer much more at present.

You were at a different game to me then.. thought he played well and certainly not at fault for their goals..Stephens lost his man for the header which is a reoccurring fault of his.

Hassenhüttl sees a lot of potential in him or he wouldn’t be continually in the squad.

Ralph has almost been forced to play these kids as he has nothing else at his disposal.. I doubt we will see this Ramsay again soon as he was shocking last night imo. Johnson also is nowhere near ready to step up

I do like the look of slattery on the other hand

Personally thought Johnson was the best of the lads on display he has actual pace (something lacking in our squad) and put some really good crosses into the box (certainly better than Cedric's awful efforts) I'd prefer him to Targett at wingback (but I'd rather have Bertrand over either of them).

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Think a bit of honesty when posting is required regarding the opinion attributes of a player by "signing" the post with I watched this game from The Itchen Stand/ Back of the Northam - I watched this game on TV - Tablet/Laptop - Phone.

If its the latter and always the latter get off your backside and actually go and watch the game with your own eyes rather than a TV lens, then you can see the whole game not just where the ball is......oh and whilst you are buying your ticket get one in the first 4 rows of whatever stand you chose to sit in, just to get a players eye view rather than a TV camera level view.

Some of the comments on here about our youngsters make me wonder if my coffee from the concourse was spiked with Rohypnol!!

Ramsey just needs to get some confidence in his own ability. A number of times he set off up the wing and just when you thought that he should have a go at the fullback he would lose confidence and take the easier option of a pass inside. That is inexperience and lack of confidence. He will get better - much better. Give him time and some trust. Johnson shows a lot of potential as a wing back IMHO. Physically he looks like Bertrand and plays like him as well. He will be really good with time and experience. And taking JBS's point - I watched them from half way up the Northam end of the Kingsland stand.

This.

And I suppose it doesn’t help when the defence you’re in is a pieced together clusterfukk.

But I thought tyreke Johnson looked more suited and ready though.

• 2 years later...

I really don't understand why we gave hime a two-year deal. Can't see any chance of him getting in the team when Ralph played anyone but him there last year when KWP was out. Bednarek was awful in that position! Hope it works out for him, but I can see more chance of me consuming headwear than Ramsey becoming a Saints first team regular. 

9 minutes ago, Brumsaint said:

I really don't understand why we gave hime a two-year deal. Can't see any chance of him getting in the team when Ralph played anyone but him there last year when KWP was out. Bednarek was awful in that position! Hope it works out for him, but I can see more chance of me consuming headwear than Ramsey becoming a Saints first team regular. 

Even if they don't think he's good enough to become a Premier League player they may feel like there is some money to be made by developing him as far as possible.  Otherwise I don't really get it.

He's historically a centre back anyway, he's not naturally a right back.

He needs to play. Clearly the club have seen something in him to give him a 2 year deal, but he needs to progress while out on loan, and guess we'll have another look at him next summer. See how he progresses.

30 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

He's historically a centre back anyway, he's not naturally a right back.

He needs to play. Clearly the club have seen something in him to give him a 2 year deal, but he needs to progress while out on loan, and guess we'll have another look at him next summer. See how he progresses.

Think he sees himself as a right-back now, but can play centre-back.

Think he played centre-back for the B-team last season at times.

The academy has had a bit of a clear-out of defenders so it’s going to be quite a young line-up again next year for the B-team.

It was strange to give him a new deal, I always found it odd at the time. He's never looked quite at it for me...looks lacking at this level in a few aspects of his game.

I'm sure he'll do ok at Crewe but the reality is that's probably going to be his level.....

Matt Crocker was fairly clear on the loan situation - the club policy is that there is no point loaning players out who have a chance of playing here. If we loan a player then it's usually a case that we see their future elsewhere. So the 2 year deal makes as much sense as Forsters 2 5-year deals.

Edited by S-Clarke

6 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Apart from Ramsay’s is probably £2k a week, not £70k week.

It won't be either. National league players are earning way more than that. Indeed, one or two national league south clubs were paying more than that pre pandemic. 

I don't have any recent knowledge, but our young pros nudging first team squad will be earning some proper money. Going way back to our league 1 days, Aaron Martin came in from Eastleigh mid season and signed for our minimum figure of (I think £800pw), played a few, then signed up on £4-6k PW dependant on game involvement. If we gave £6k PW to a kid we signed from Eastleigh back then, I dread to think what this lad is on now. 

Regardless, good luck to the lad. Half decent, but that ain't enough for this level. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Kayne Ramsay - Official: Loaned to Crewe
On 22/06/2021 at 16:06, davefizzy14 said:

Good luck to Kayne at Crewe, hopefully he gets valuable playing time and comes back a much better all rounded player :)must mean a new full back signing is imminent then. 

That's what we all assumed when Valery and Vokins went out on loan in January. Given the club's record in recent years of letting players leave without signing a replacement, it's not a given that we already have one lined up.

However, it's no secret we are in the market for at least one new fullback, and if we start the new season having not signed one it will be suicidal.

Good luck to Kayne anyway. Seems like the obvious path for him right now.