• JWP
    • Hojbjerg
    • Romeu
    • Redmond
    • Ings
    • Cedric
    • Long
    • Armstrong

What a fantastic team performance and a well deserved win. For the first time in a very long time, I am enjoying being a Saints fan! Massive credit has to go to Ralph, but the players deserve a pat on the back for the way they have taken onboard his tactics and implemented them. Happy days!

The difference in the organisation and general happiness of the side is a complete contrast to the past 3 miserable seasons.

After having our heart and soul sucked dry by Puel, the comical cluelessness of Pellegrino and dated mishmashes of a team under Hughes, we finally have manager who has a plan.

We are slowly but surely regaining a clear identity again and it’s all started with good old hard work, motivation and organisation.

Ralph might not be here for a long time, but he sure is here for a good time.

So nice not to go into weekends fearing what might happen - I’m now going into the weekend wondering instead.

30 seconds per goal, so 50 seconds then. Where did the extra 2 minutes and 10 seconds come from?

I know it doesn't matter but **** me that ref seemed to be trying hard to help Everton today.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

They did the same at Everton last season if I recall. That nearly relegated us.

F-ing get in there! Jesus, it can't ever be easy, can it?

Really solid all round performance, I thought. We're still not great on the ball in the final third, but we've found a way to bobble and miscontrol a few decent chances.

Belting strike (from open play!) from Ward-Prowse, who was excellent. He seems to have found some much needed tenacity. Hojbjerg was very good, very disciplined. Redmond a constant threat on the counter.

Disappointed for the defence that they couldn't get their clean sheet - I thought they deserved it. Barely any Keystone Cops calamaties today.

A great win, in the context of being usually garbage at home and having slogged through 120 minutes two days ago. Although in retrospect, that was good practice for the 100+ minutes this f-ing referee played.

Onwards!

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

This. Despite the best attempts of the officials (ref, in particular), an excellent win and great performance after Weds night's disappointment. Well done Saints! 2 Sat nights in a row to look forward to MOTD!

Absolutely superb. Real shame to concede because they didn’t trouble our defence at all the entire game, and even the goal wasn’t a result of our defence being breached, just a nicely placed shot from the edge of the area. Hojbjerg knew he owed us today and he was majestic, disciplined and was absolutely everywhere all game. Shame for Targett as I thought he started brilliantly, he’s got a hell of a cross on him. But so pleased for Prowsey again, gets so much stick (unfairly usually imo) but two goals in two games, 5 consecutive starts, really making himself a big part of this manager’s teams, and what a strike.

Up the table we go!

Bednarek, Hoj, Romeu and Redmond all excellent. JWP much better second half, and not just for the goal (been waiting for him to strike a moving ball that cleanly for years) - he started to play much more progressively second half, got his head up and played several good balls forward.

However, we still need a better option at CB. Bednarek is good, but Stephens is rubbish in the air and Vest seems to struggle getting any distance at all on headed clearances as his timing is wrong 9 times out of 10.

Sign someone with similar attributes to the ones Tomori showed midweek to partner Bednarek and we might be getting somewhere.

Back three were magnificent today IMO and with Yoshida back I don’t think that is our most immediate problem !

Another pacy forward is much more of a priority as Redmond is now irreplaceable !!

Anyone else thought the ref was a bit **** throughout. ?

Added time aside

I thought he let an awful lot go from both sides. What I did notice was that we seemed a lot more aggressive and a lot less 'nice' to play against. A few tackles went in that the Everton players really felt and knocked them out of their stride. Richarlison in particular seemed almost frightened to have the ball after a few solid tackles went in on him.

Important win that - holding on for that ridiculously long extra time period (seriously ref your blue shirt was showing underneath) was vital. Can you imagine if they'd equalised in that extra extra time - that would have been the third 2-0 lead we'd have thrown away. So happy we won that. Now onwards and upwards.

As said above - all hail Hasenhutl!

Well played Saints - the whole team played well, good performance all round. Very solid from the midfield, Hoj was really driving us on and getting stuck in and being a general pain in the neck to Everton the whole game. Fab. Great JWP goal, he had a very good game as well. Redmond and Ings run their socks off, pressing Everton’s defence and keeper. Really good to see. Defended well, I thought Stephens was going to go all the way late in the second half!

Good stuff boys, Ralph you legend!! Proud to be a Saints fan again tonight - keep it going, three in a row next week....

There had been a goal within those 4 minutes so that would've added some on I guess.

4 minutes went up just after the goal, ref started the 4 minutes from the re-start. It was a shocking piece of refereeing that could have cost us.

Up the table we go!
Huge 3 points!!

almost like unexpected bonus points, especially considering that 4 of our next 5 games are against:

Palace, Burnley, Cardiff and Fulham.

we take care of business in those 4 matches things will be very rosy indeed.

What happens to us once we've gone 2-0 up ?

1-0. Concentrate on holding the lead. 2-0 mentally relax a bit. Opposition throws kitchen sink and if they get one back their tails are up, and our panic sets in. Having a player sent off at 2-0 helps focus the minds, so next time we go 2-0 up I suggest someone take a red for the team.

The biggest change that Ralph has brought, for me, is in individual confidence levels.

That has made a night and day difference in numerous players. We see Redmond looking to go forward rather than turn back, Stephens bringing the ball out of defence rather than whacking it, JWP with a real sense of purpose instead of looking to shunt the ball sideways to the nearest player, Bednarek looking like he really believes he belongs at this level, Romeu back to his dominant best, and PEH working to erase his brain f*arts and looking like a long term club captain. There are others.

It makes you wonder what he might be able to do with some of the players who have been loaned out - even if it's just to increase their transfer value. Yes, even Guido Carrillo.

Priorities first - we're grinding out results. The last 3 PL games , 7pts when 0-3 would once have been expected. Most of the team have been lauded already but my opinion of Long is becoming more positive . The lad lacks technical ability for sure but is a real warrior who gives 100% every time. JWP is improving by the week and repaying Ralphs faith, Shearer would have been proud of that strike today, and his corners were consistently good today. Redmond very good again - does he ever get tired..?

The biggest change that Ralph has brought, for me, is in individual confidence levels.

That has made a night and day difference in numerous players. We see Redmond looking to go forward rather than turn back, Stephens bringing the ball out of defence rather than whacking it, JWP with a real sense of purpose instead of looking to shunt the ball sideways to the nearest player, Bednarek looking like he really believes he belongs at this level, Romeu back to his dominant best, and PEH working to erase his brain f*arts and looking like a long term club captain. There are others.

It makes you wonder what he might be able to do with some of the players who have been loaned out - even if it's just to increase their transfer value. Yes, even Guido Carrillo.

enjoy him while you can

be gone in the summer IMO

Enjoyed today but glad they scored late on rather with more time on the clock.

We were unlucky with a few efforts (woodwork + good goalkeeping) but fortunate with the pearler of an an goal.

Definitely deserved to win.

Isnt it odd that we never do well at Goodison whilst Everton are often ****e down here.

Everton have a better squad than us but we were far superior today.

Well done to the crowd for great support!!!!

The thing that I take most from today was the moment in the 2nd half at 2-0 already and Stephens charged forward and played the ball to Valery, who then very neatly exchanged passes with, I think, Redmond to set up an attack.

You could see they were enjoying themselves and playing with a level of confidence we haven't seen since before Koeman left. And the whole stadium was rocking and willing them on.

It feels like we've finally turned the corner and shaken off the nervousness and uncertainty that has engulfed the club over the last couple of years. Long may it continue.

Could and should have been more comfortable at the end there, and it felt like the ref was desperate for them to score, but ultimately a very good win.

Everton easily the worst team we’ve seen at St. Marys this season.

Yep Everton were awful and they were matched by their fans who were also dire. Didn’t hear anything from them all game!

enjoy him while you can

be gone in the summer IMO

Don't you feel that there's a different ethos at the club now that Reed has gone?

He was the guy who oversold himself on buying cheap and selling expensive - loyalty lasting until a bid comes in. Until it all went pear-shaped.

I really get the sense that Hasenhüttl is a man of principle who expects from others the same things he demands from himself - like effort, commitment and loyalty. He seems genuinely committed to "the project" and bringing youngsters through - more than any recent manager, including Poch. I can actually see him staying here for some time, and the same goes for players like PEH. Lemina maybe not.

Don't you feel that there's a different ethos at the club now that Reed has gone?

He was the guy who oversold himself on buying cheap and selling expensive - loyalty lasting until a bid comes in. Until it all went pear-shaped.

I really get the sense that Hasenhüttl is a man of principle who expects from others the same things he demands from himself - like effort, commitment and loyalty. He seems genuinely committed to "the project" and bringing youngsters through - more than any recent manager, including Poch. I can actually see him staying here for some time, and the same goes for players like PEH. Lemina maybe not.

We have gone through the grand total of zero transfer windows in the post Reed era so really rather early to make any judgements. We haven't signed anyone yet so let's at least give it another couple of weeks.

Just back from the game.

Great atmosphere... Vocal chords completely buggered.

Fantastic all round performance. We're going to lose very few games from here on in (if we can stop conceding pigging last minute goals!

Anyone know where the ref got an extra 23 minutes from at the end? (Well, that's what it felt like!)

Best performance in a Saints shirt by JWP but my MotM goes to Redmond. Wow, what a transformation! Never stopped, never gave up.

Top half here we come