• JWP
    • Hojbjerg
    • Romeu
    • Redmond
    • Ings
    • Cedric
    • Long
    • Armstrong

Great performance, much more solid at the back. Passing looks a lot more assured. MoM between Redmond, who didn't stop running all day, and Vestergaard who didn't put a foot wrong and looked very comfortable. Happy days #WeMarchOn
I'd give it to Bednarek, though agree Redmond and Vestergaard were good, as was JWP and many others.

Great team performance.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The transformation in this team since the arrival of Hasenhuttl has been nothing short of incredible in a comparatively short period of time. These are much the same players available to The Clown and to Hughes, but players favoured by them have been dropped and some of those them not favoured by those two have been promoted into the team by Hasenhuttl, along with several of the youngsters who were largely an unknown quantity, except to those who followed our academy matches. Even those deemed to be first choice players, have increased their fitness, ability and their self belief. Either by choice or from circumstances, Hasenhuttl has selected several players consistently and they have grown into a unit quickly, understanding how they are to play cohesively and what to expect from their team mates. But when injuries or suspensions have taken out key players, he selects somebody to step into the breach and they generally acquit themselves well enough to be considered an effective substitute. This way, it begins to look as if we have some strength in depth and have had a good look at the youngsters too.

The most surprising thought that occurred to me walking back to my car after the match, was that despite thinking at the time when Hasenhuttl took over that we needed to make several key positional signings in the January transfer window, I was now musing on whether it would be a disaster if we made none before the window closed. Yes, a really effective striker would be nice, and extra cover at the back too, but we have been able to score goals recently, albeit that some of them are coming from midfielders and potentially defenders. But Redmond is getting better and better and Ings is back, although a bit off the pace today. If we don't identify a new striker, could Hasenhuttl utilise them with Long/Austin and develop Obafemi and Gallagher into credible alternatives?

As for the defence, they are improving as a unit with each match. In central defence, Bednarek, Vestergaard, Stephens and Yoshida all look solid, and with Bertrand to come back from injury, the wide slots with him or Targett on the left and Valerie and Cedric on the right also looks decent. As for the midfield, Romeu and Hojbjerg have really stepped up under Hasenhuttl and surpassed Lemina, who is a very good player on his day and could also improve further. Recently James Ward-Prowse has shown a marked improvement and looks more like the player he was expected to be having been selected constantly by the England youth teams. His goal today was excellent. Armstrong also has shown himself to be a strong and effective attacking midfielder with an eye for goal. Whether Elyounoussi will develop into a asset is my only niggle.

It is greatly to Hasenhuttl's credit that at the start of the season, it was difficult to pick out any player that other teams would covet, but now it begins to look as if the improvement in several of them might mean that glances are being cast in our direction once more, but thankfully it has probably come too late for them to poach any before the window closes.

After the disappointment of the Cup defeat on Wednesday, we needed a win to lift spirits, but it is fair to say that today we had a pretty full strength squad back, whereas we were forced to play a number of the youngsters in the Cup match, also ensuring that first choice players wouldn't be too tired or risking injury before this match. Hojbjerg's return was very welcome and his partnership with the much improved Romeu gave us a commanding presence in midfield. Bedarek also strengthened the defence. Whereas it is good to give players marks out of ten, in games like these, I prefer not to pick out particular players when the whole team played really well. The style of play is reminiscent of that which we had under Pochettino, the high pressing, the closing down of space and the hunting in packs. It really is enjoyable to watch and very effective.

Some have commented that Everton were poor today, but could it be that the way that we played and our tactics made them look poor? Finally, the referee. Like most, I fail to understand how so much extra time was added to the extra time. However, during the actual match, I thought that he was OK. Everton are one of the worst teams for diving to get free kicks, particularly players like Richarlison. The ref didn't fall for their tricks often and let play continue, much to the indignation of those cheats. Their frustration boiled over eventually late in the game, and Redmond was in a spat with several players from both teams involved. He is prone to be over-passionate in those situations and needs to be careful not to be red-carded. He was excellent today otherwise.

Under The Clown and Hughes, the club's mantra "We March On", seemed a hollow joke. Under Hasenhuttl, it has become a serious declaration of intent

The three centre halves were outstanding today. Vestergaard has really stepped up lately, his horrendous error at Cardiff really behind him now.

Romeu & Redmond played really well again, as did JWP.

They were poor, shapeless and tactically all over the place but we put them away clinically and then held out. Probably would have drawn 2-2 under Hughes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really surprised at the MotM poll. Hojbjerg by a country mile for me. Don’t think he put a foot wrong all game. Won every tackle, didn’t misplace any short passes, and was barking instructions to his teammates to ensure we had a good shape. Hope he remains captain when Bertrand comes back

Really surprised at the MotM poll. Hojbjerg by a country mile for me. Don’t think he put a foot wrong all game. Won every tackle, didn’t misplace any short passes, and was barking instructions to his teammates to ensure we had a good shape. Hope he remains captain when Bertrand comes back

TBF in games like this lots of players could be in with a shout for MOTM so many played well. For me it was Bednarek was an absolute beast today won so many of his battles throwing himself into blocks and tackles.

Thought we were solid all around. Still prefer Cedric outside over either Valery or Targett, but outside we played really well. If we play like that over the next 3 matches we will be well outside the drop zone.

Cedric was poor today to say the least

I had Redmond as MOTM, but I don't disagree that Hojbjerg was immense. But the variety of votes for different players just goes to show how well the entire team played. If the whole team plays with as much cohesion, spirit, effort and belief as this, we are a match for almost anybody on our day.

I had Redmond as MOTM, but I don't disagree that Hojbjerg was immense. But the variety of votes for different players just goes to show how well the entire team played. If the whole team plays with as much cohesion, spirit, effort and belief as this, we are a match for almost anybody on our day.
This. Fantastic team spirit and determination to get the job done.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Cedric was poor today to say the least

Cedric has no left foot and Ralph keeps sticking him out on the left due to a lack of options in that position right now. Every time the ball comes out to him he tries to put back onto his right and gets closed down or if he tries to use his left he just shanks it. The sooner Bertrand is back the better it would help if the back up left back didn't seem to get injured on such a regular basis I mean seriously is Matt Targett made of glass?

See I thought Redmond was a bit poorer than he has been recently today, which shows how good he has been in recent weeks. Spot on re the team performance (excluding Cedric unfortunately)

Keep practicing - you'll hit him eventually. ;)

But seriously - why? Or am I missing a tongue in cheek ?

Bet Hughes is at home thinking how the hell is he getting some these players playing like they are?

The next club he goes too will be fu.cked I tell you as he is a dinosaur that’s killing football with the money he is stealing.

What happens to us once we've gone 2-0 up ?

sometimes teams throw caution to the wind, bring on a extra forward/a big man and we struggle to cope. When they throw men forward we often fail to kill teams off when we hit them on the break.

Stephen's looked solid and composed. Almost scored too

For those that said he was better than Maguire, you may soon be right!

Maguire really struggling for Leicester this season

not exactly in Maguires league for physicality and ability in the air, but on the ball Stephens is extremely composed. He's more John Stones-like.

This. Looked like a square peg in a round hole when he came on. It's quite clear that he hasn't 100% bought into Ralph's philosophy

boy did his pace get us out of jail when we yet again were caught on the break from our own corner. FFS we must sort that out. Not the worst player to bring off the bench. Worked hard, got up and down and did well defensively.

Stephen's looked solid and composed. Almost scored too

For those that said he was better than Maguire, you may soon be right!

Maguire really struggling for Leicester this season

He looks solid and composed on the ground, when the ball comes flying through the air it’s not quite the same story

I get that it's 4 minute MINIMUM, but if there's 20 seconds left of the 4 minutes when the ref stops the game for Longs injury then surely we play 20 seconds after the restart, not another 3 minutes??

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

Yes that injury time was absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They said it every day, every thread. It was always sign a new squad. Deluded to think anyone could get better with the squad.

It was about 8th most expensive squad around? Players who'd been good before. And we'd won once in near half a season! How anyone concluded Hughes was doing anything above an abysmal job is beyond me. Just Les Reed and Robbie Savage who rate him.

New players have come in though, from the youth team.

The current "first-team" squad isn't good enough, and needs a mass overhaul.

New players have come in though, from the youth team.

The current "first-team" squad isn't good enough, and needs a mass overhaul.

Adrian told us the squad that was easily good enough to challenge for the league positions that we did in our 2014-2016 purple patch. He’s been made to look a fool.

The more levelheaded posters here said our woes were a combination of manager and squad - that replacing the manager would make a difference and improve results but would not completely overcome the limitations of our squad.

Simple people like to think in black and white, unconditional either-ors. Those with a bit more nous accept the world is complex and problems have multiple causes.

We've now got a decent spine to the team which we've been lacking. Decent keeper, more solid at CB, PEH and Romeu strong in the middle of the park and Ings and Redmond up top.

Great performance today. Redmond, JWP, PEH and Romeu especially along with the two Jan's. The next three games will give us some great chances to continue pushing up the table.

Loving Saturdays again.

Was horrible watching what felt like 24 hours of stoppage time, but the scars of Hughes and blowing leads are disappearing game by game.

Any my thoughts of relegation are honestly all but gone for me. We probably need 4 or 5 wins out of 15 to be safe and we’ll get them. Cheers Ralph, and those who got him here!

Adrian told us the squad that was easily good enough to challenge for the league positions that we did in our 2014-2016 purple patch. He’s been made to look a fool.

The more levelheaded posters here said our woes were a combination of manager and squad - that replacing the manager would make a difference and improve results but would not completely overcome the limitations of our squad.

Simple people like to think in black and white, unconditional either-ors. Those with a bit more nous accept the world is complex and problems have multiple causes.

Thanks

Brilliant

We were the better side throughout

Even though we won, I do not like that ref!!!

Hoj, back 3, Ings, Romeu and JwP all very good

Hoj and JwP my MoM (joint)

Yes agree with those names. Really enjoyed the fact that we continued to want to play high up the pitch even when ahead. Refreshing change from last season.

Fitness levels are much more impressive lately. Shows what a difference it can make if you maximise basic things as and suggests that Hughes and his staff couldn't really be arsed to train properly.

I've never seen JWP look so strong after 90 minutes, and that's with Wednesday's match just behind him as well.

Loved that today - so many stand out performances, Bednarek and Hojbjerg immense, JWP and Remond looking completely different players from weeks ago.

Hats off to everyone in the ground today, wasn’t sat in the Northam as usual but in the kingsland, and the noise coming from the itchen corner, Northam, and even the chapel at times was outstanding. Been a long time since I attended back to back league wins, in Ralph we trust.

He likes to dish it out, generally with his elbows, but wilts like a delicate flower if the opposition stand up to him.

There was a moment in the first half when Romeu clattered into him and won the ball. Richarlison wasn't sighted after that. Just love Romeu's controlled aggression and his combination with Hoj is great at the moment - both are picking out quick, counter-attacking passes to set things going.

Thank God that you can always depend on Everton. A couple of years ago Josh Sims embarassed Koeman. Last year they were so poor that they made MoPe look good. 4 1 then and it would not have been a travesty if that scoreline had been repeated this year.

No wonder their fans are always so quiet - definitely amongst the worst to visit SMS. They think they are a big team, spend lavishly and then fail to deliver on the pitch. Why did they out muscle us and other teams and pay Walcott so much if they only put him on the bench ???

With Ralph in charge everything looks so much better for us than a few weeks ago. He along with managers like Klopp and Pochettino seem to be a new breed of manager. They seem to actually like their players and encourage a good team spirit. The likes of Mourinho could well learn from their example.

Great performance. The whole team played well and looked much better organised than Everton. We're becoming a bit of a bogey team for Everton at St Mary's, having won 6 of our last 7 home games against them.

Ralph seems to have greatly improved every one of our players and Ward-Prowse and Stephens now seem to be going through the same transformation as Redmond into really good Premier League players. I'm happy to admit I was wrong about JWP. I never thought he'd become this good. Redmond, Ward-Prowse and even Stephens could well get a few England caps between them in the future.

Exciting times for Saints fans. Saints win and Pompey lose again and if we keep going like this we could finish above Brighton and Bournemouth. Long may it continue like this.

What happens to us once we've gone 2-0 up ?

Yes as far as I recall this this the 7th time this season that we've taken a 2-0 lead (Brighton H, Man Utd H, Huddersfield A, Leicester A, Derby A&H and today) and every single time we've put pressure on ourselves by then conceding a goal. At least we still went on to win in the 3 PL games since Ralph took over.

Out of interest, and despite his ban now having ended, no Austin on the bench today. Anyone any the wiser?
Perhaps, with Ings having just returned from injury and Long having gone off with a knock in midweek, the manager wanted subs on the bench that could last more than fifteen minutes if an early change was needed.

Or maybe, now the manager actually has enough striking options to leave him out of the match squad, this is just the reality of what most of us imagined Austin's future would become once the club appointed someone who demands high levels of fitness and professionalism from his players.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Great performance. The whole team played well and looked much better organised than Everton. We're becoming a bit of a bogey team for Everton at St Mary's, having won 6 of our last 7 home games against them.

Ralph seems to have greatly improved every one of our players and Ward-Prowse and Stephens now seem to be going through the same transformation as Redmond into really good Premier League players. I'm happy to admit I was wrong about JWP. I never thought he'd become this good. Redmond, Ward-Prowse and even Stephens could well get a few England caps between them in the future.

Exciting times for Saints fans. Saints win and Pompey lose again and if we keep going like this we could finish above Brighton and Bournemouth. Long may it continue like this.

Fair play to you Nordic. If JWP can keep up this level of improvement it will be like having a new signing. Agree re. STephens - he is turning into a very good player. Not just the way he is playing but also his leadership at the back - constantly talking and organizing.

Just shows what good coaching can do (as we saw with Pochettino and Koeman and (to a lesser degree) Puel. Last 2 managers were disastrous in that respect.