Northern strike - Burnley game

bertie

National Rail website saying Northern is due to strike on 2 Feb and no trains will run after 17:00. Would kaibosh my plans to go to the Burnley game from the Midlands if so. Anyone know if this strike is definitely on?

pretty certain strike will go ahead

i've looked at the timetables for last 3 strike days on saturdays and they are pretty consistant

look at timetable N9 on this website

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/strike

there are trains to Blackburn at 10.10, 11.38 and 12.09 from Preston, then coach from there to Burnley, all of these would get you there in time for kick off

after game a coach from Burnley Central to Blackburn at 18.12 then train to Preston where it arrives 19.30

there are no trains Manchester to Burnley, but you can get a bus which takes around an hour

Thanks all. It’s the getting back which will be a pain as I live in Worcester so have to change at Brum too. Anyone know if any Saints coaches from St Mary’s stop in the Midlands? It’s annoying as fares to Burnley were showing considerably cheaper than when I went to Huddersfield game.

pretty certain strike will go ahead

i've looked at the timetables for last 3 strike days on saturdays and they are pretty consistant

look at timetable N9 on this website

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/strike

there are trains to Blackburn at 10.10, 11.38 and 12.09 from Preston, then coach from there to Burnley, all of these would get you there in time for kick off

after game a coach from Burnley Central to Blackburn at 18.12 then train to Preston where it arrives 19.30

there are no trains Manchester to Burnley, but you can get a bus which takes around an hour

What about the N8 route (Blackpool to Leeds/York via Preston and Burnley)?

Not mentioned, so does that mean normal service or no trains?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

Does anyone have any rail insight? Given there’s a strike, would they let you travel a circuitous route - for same fare - OK ambitious I know - but is that a goer? I realise I can ring Network Rail, but maybe there are some experts on here?

What about the N8 route (Blackpool to Leeds/York via Preston and Burnley)?

Not mentioned, so does that mean normal service or no trains?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

if you look on national rail website the N9 services ive mentioned are the only options for getting too and from Burnley this saturday (no N8 ), so assume will be the same next week as this has been the case for the last month of strikes

Does anyone have any rail insight? Given there’s a strike, would they let you travel a circuitous route - for same fare - OK ambitious I know - but is that a goer? I realise I can ring Network Rail, but maybe there are some experts on here?

Largely depends what ticket you buy - if you've got an "Any Permitted Route" ticket, i.e. not franchise-specific, you'd probably be OK.

Northern have been on strike every Saturday since last autumn and as a consequence Burnley has had no trains at all on a Saturday. Just the connecting bus from Blackburn linking in and out of a service to and from Preston. A circuitous route therefore hardly exists as the only posible way in by rail is that route from Preston

You can normally use tickets that were purchased before the strike was announced on other franchises. I’ve used SW railways tickets on Cross country during strike. However, if you haven’t got ticket yet and strike is called, the price will be whatever the franchise you’re travelling on usually charge.

For example if you have virgin ticket to Liverpool for £30 and Northern (or whoever ) charge £50 to Liverpool. If Virgin call a strike, you’ll normally be able to use your virgin ticket on the Northern train, but you won’t be able to buy a £30 ticket for Northern on the basis that’s what you’d pay if virgin wasn’t on strike. Hope that makes sense.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Blimey is this still dragging on?

Mrs EoA drove to Liverpool from Leigh back in September, to pick me up after the match there, as all trains Liverpool to Manc direction stopped at about 4.30!!

Mind you the game was done and dusted by 20 minutes .... I should have left at HT and saved her the effort!!

Need to get back to London, have a ticket which should take me on Northern to Leeds then another operator from there. Can't make head nor tail of what route I'd actually need to take.

I'm doing Euston to Preston with Virgin, then have a Northern ticket Preston to Burnley (assuming it's running) and same for the reverse, i think a fair few of the london lot are doing the same.

I've got that route there and a different one back. Would the rail replacement bus get us to/from Preston in time?

NB info already given above

I've got that route there and a different one back. Would the rail replacement bus get us to/from Preston in time?

Bus should get you there on time depending on when you get in (it takes an hour 45) but a taxi shouldn't be massively expensive either and would be much quicker as think it's only about a 45min drive from Preston to Burnley.

Hard to see how many we've sold for this, there's 14 separate sections in the away stand but there's only 2 currently on sale. Trains probably putting a few off but would have thought we get 1,500 or so up there.

just over 1,300 sold so far, by my calculations

Possibly resolved before we get there?!?! Fingers crossed

Latest News

Northern responds to RMT February strike announcement

You are here: Home News Latest News Northern responds to RMT February strike announcement

Northern has issued a response to RMT's announcement of further strikes on Saturdays in February.

David Brown, Managing Director at Northern, said: “There is no reason for RMT to continue this needless strike action. The Department for Transport and Transport for the North have guaranteed that all current conductors will continue to work in modernised on-board roles on all trains to provide customer service. This will include helping customers with accessibility, personal security, ticketing and information.

“Customer groups and business groups have supported Northern’s call for RMT to take part in an independent inquiry on Northern’s plans. This inquiry would be held by ACAS with an independent chair and independent panel and would give all parties the chance to have their say.”