Cardiff/Sala - Missing Plane

LGTL

In this day and age, and in an industry worth what it is, how does this sort of thing happen? How is it that the appropriate checks aren’t made? Baffling.

I've no idea. It is indeed baffling.

Do they even know who owns the plane? That seems crazy as well.

Absolute disgrace really. That plane should never have taken off. Complete amateur hour. Someone needs to be held accountable, although it sounds like the pilot needs to shoulder a fair portion of the blame.

Not just the pilot, he was obviously keen to take on the gig, even though it seems that he shouldn't have. Whoever was running the aircraft should have checked it all out surely.

Not just the pilot, he was obviously keen to take on the gig, even though it seems that he shouldn't have. Whoever was running the aircraft should have checked it all out surely.

Oh, absolutely. First thoughts were that pilot had been stitched up with a dodgy plane and was just doing his job but if those reports are true then he should have declined to take off regardless of the state of the plane. As you say, though, that’s not the only thing that stinks about this.

The colour blindness issue is conjecture. When I was enrolling in a Commercial Licence course I had to go to the Central Medical Establishment for a full medical. Fail any part of it and I wouldn't have been able to start the course. This was in spite of passing the RAF aircrew initial medical previously. Tillotson was previously on a CPL course which he didn't complete.

I can't see how he got that far if he was colour blind but he might have been.

What seems to be fact, he had a PPL but did not have a night rating which again is strange as it only requires 5 hours night flying and 5 hours ground study. What is criminal. is that the passenger was totally misled, probably thinking that it was a professional organisation and a professional pilot. Whatever anyone says I will never believe that the pilot didn't know he wasn't allowed to do the flight, at night in an unauthorised aircraft over water. The footballer was the innocent abroad. All the others involved will get theirs in due course.

We have yet to hear anything about or from David Henderson who according to his videos has been operating the aircraft for some time. The authorities will be following this trail.

The only ones to come out covered in roses are the insurance companies who can wash their hands of any claims.

So what about the pilot being qualified or not?? How does that diminish the claim that Nantes have for payment? It doesn't. Simple fact is that is seems (if that is not an oxymoron) to one and all that Cardiff are trying to welch on paying what they owe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"A man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act in relation to the death of Argentine footballer Emiliano Sala.

The striker, who had signed to Cardiff City, died in a plane crash in January along with pilot David Ibbotson.

A spokesperson for Dorset Police said a 64-year-old man from North Yorkshire had been arrested and released while investigations continue."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48694561

"A man has been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter by an unlawful act in relation to the death of Argentine footballer Emiliano Sala.

The striker, who had signed to Cardiff City, died in a plane crash in January along with pilot David Ibbotson.

A spokesperson for Dorset Police said a 64-year-old man from North Yorkshire had been arrested and released while investigations continue."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48694561

The colour blindness issue is conjecture. When I was enrolling in a Commercial Licence course I had to go to the Central Medical Establishment for a full medical. Fail any part of it and I wouldn't have been able to start the course. This was in spite of passing the RAF aircrew initial medical previously. Tillotson was previously on a CPL course which he didn't complete.

I can't see how he got that far if he was colour blind but he might have been.

What seems to be fact, he had a PPL but did not have a night rating which again is strange as it only requires 5 hours night flying and 5 hours ground study. What is criminal. is that the passenger was totally misled, probably thinking that it was a professional organisation and a professional pilot. Whatever anyone says I will never believe that the pilot didn't know he wasn't allowed to do the flight, at night in an unauthorised aircraft over water. The footballer was the innocent abroad. All the others involved will get theirs in due course.

We have yet to hear anything about or from David Henderson who according to his videos has been operating the aircraft for some time. The authorities will be following this trail.

The only ones to come out covered in roses are the insurance companies who can wash their hands of any claims.

It could be Henderson but he is reported to be 60/61 not 64, The authorities are on the trail and I personally think that there will be more than one person picked up in due course. Owner, operator, charterer, registered owner, pilots, would all have been aware how this aircraft was operated.

• 1 month later...
Our idiots dealt with. Probably about right - although 4 year football banning may seem a little harsh, I think it was probably more stupidity than anything really malicious.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-49095117

maybe its just me but i think its a waste of time and money taking these idiots to court. A 4 year ban is bang out of order as well. Whilst its not in good taste to take the **** its not really a crime in my eyes. Snowflake generation offended by everything.

Our idiots dealt with. Probably about right - although 4 year football banning may seem a little harsh, I think it was probably more stupidity than anything really malicious.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-49095117

Not harsh at all - looking at their ages worrying that they have probably polluted the gene pool already.

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting revelation , perhaps all would have been well if the plane had been maintained properly ?

Some years ago a perfectly maintained jet was flying a golfer to his next tournament.Page Steward and the rest of the people onboard all died from asphyxiation due to lack of oxygen.The plane continued to fly on automatic pilot until the fuel ran out.Strange things these aeroplanes.

Don't believe everything you read. There is a battle of lawyers going on right now playing the blame game. Blame equals compensation.

Who has the biggest wallet? The aircraft constructor perhaps?

No doubt hundreds of these planes are flying around the skies everyday in perfect safety. I don't recall reading about dozens of them falling out of the sky through asphyxiation of the pilots.

Some years ago a perfectly maintained jet was flying a golfer to his next tournament.Page Steward and the rest of the people onboard all died from asphyxiation due to lack of oxygen.The plane continued to fly on automatic pilot until the fuel ran out.Strange things these aeroplanes.

Also happened to a Greek flight Helios 522 which was a Boeing 737

Also happened to a Greek flight Helios 522 which was a Boeing 737

Both were depressurisation incidents and different to anything which may have happened to this aircraft. They weren’t high enough to get hypoxia.

If they were incapacitated by carbon monoxide poisoning in the lead up to the accident it would be from some sort of engine malfunction, with exhaust gasses leaking into the cabin.

Don't believe everything you read. There is a battle of lawyers going on right now playing the blame game. Blame equals compensation.

Who has the biggest wallet? The aircraft constructor perhaps?

No doubt hundreds of these planes are flying around the skies everyday in perfect safety. I don't recall reading about dozens of them falling out of the sky through asphyxiation of the pilots.

This was a report by the AAIB. Not by an interested party.

• 1 month later...

This was Payne Stewart. A friend of mine, who lives in Hedge End, a very experienced airline captain, working for the airline I worked for, was positioned with a First Officer from Orlando to Puerto Vallarta on the West coast of Mexico a couple of weeks before the aiircraft crashed. Just after the crash I was talking to him and was gobsmacked that not only had there been no emergency briefing he had no idea where the passenger emergency oxygen masks were kept. I won't enlarge on what I said to him but it wasn't pretty. Another accident waiting to happen.

Some years ago a King Air was being tested at high altitude over the West of England, the pilots for whatever reason weren't on oxygen and became incapacitated. The aircraft was I believe in a gentle turn holding it's altitude on autopilot. The aircraft was depressurised, the crew possibly dead, the aircraft circled drifting South until as far as I can remember ran out of fuel and crashed in the Bay of Biscay.

With both of these aircraft the Air Force formated on them with a view to shooting them down if their track threatened a populated area.

I don't know if it was mentioned above but the single engine on Sala's aircraft was only separated from the cockpit/cabin by a bulkhead. the aircraft was over thirty years old and presumable the bulkhead wouldn't prevent any faulty exhaust fumes from entering the cabin. This may have incapacitated or caused the disorientation of the pilot. I haven't read any report but would expect a faulty exhaust on a single engine aircraft to put fumes into the cabin.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...