Martin Caceres

spyinthesky

Just about to move from Lazio to Juventus.

Who remembers his short term time at SMS?

Think I saw him once playing for the U23's and a cameo performance in a first team game.

Looked decent on the ball but nothing special which belied his time playing top class football on the continent and for Uruguay

This. Top class centre half who should have been retained under Puel.

Always amazes me when people say we should have kept him. It was blatantly obvious from day one that he came to us on a 6 month deal just to bring some money in for him and to offer cover for us - we were always going to play Stephens ahead of him to get him the experience, Caceres was there purely in case we had ANOTHER injury at the back.

He was never interested in staying at Saints long term, it was just 6 months of getting paid and move on to bigger things.

• 6 months later...
I can’t recall ever seeing him play. Was he any good?

He only played 1 first team game for Saints against Middlesbrough I think. I saw him in the U23's once and he was just a different class to everyone else on the pitch, although that's to be expected from someone with his pedigree.

He is, or maybe was, a very good player.

He only played 1 first team game for Saints against Middlesbrough I think. I saw him in the U23's once and he was just a different class to everyone else on the pitch, although that's to be expected from someone with his pedigree.

He is, or maybe was, a very good player.

His first inclusion in a squad was for the EFL Final at Wembley. Of course he didn't get on the field. Assume for that he received a losers medal. Was a decent player ut was too small to be a effective CB in the PL, he was better at RB or at least on the right of a 3. As a RB though his legs had gone by the time he rocked up at SMS.