Che Adams

TopGun

My post did not say that, I was merely pointing out a fact and leaving the readers to draw their own conclusion

You should be a politician you old pink jacketed Militant you! ;) I didn't say your post said that, I just asked you the question as to whether you still believed that Gallagher could be a PL level player. There seem to be very few who still think this, I just wondered if you were still a believer.

You should be a politician you old pink jacketed Militant you! ;) I didn't say your post said that, I just asked you the question as to whether you still believed that Gallagher could be a PL level player. There seem to be very few who still think this, I just wondered if you were still a believer.

OK Fair does. Honest answer? Well accepting I am biased, there is still part of me that would not write Sam off just yet. I watched him play frequently for Blackburn and Birmingham to see he certainly had what it takes for the Championship and, despite what some on here say, the fans of both clubs really appreciated him and Che Adams hardly got a look in (which he was none too pleased about). Of course there is a big difference between the two leagues but the fact there is at least one PL side "in" for him at present, plus quite a few top Championship sides sniffing, my view is shared by some managers too. He needs a break (he did not get one last year owing to injuries, relegation battle, new manager etc) but because strikers of his build and athleticism don't grow on trees, I am reluctant to write him off as a top-flight player. However I don't think he fits into RH's plans and as he is the boss I think it best Sam moves on and hopefully comes again with renewed confidence.

OK Fair does. Honest answer? Well accepting I am biased, there is still part of me that would not write Sam off just yet. I watched him play frequently for Blackburn and Birmingham to see he certainly had what it takes for the Championship and, despite what some on here say, the fans of both clubs really appreciated him and Che Adams hardly got a look in (which he was none too pleased about). Of course there is a big difference between the two leagues but the fact there is at least one PL side "in" for him at present, plus quite a few top Championship sides sniffing, my view is shared by some managers too. He needs a break (he did not get one last year owing to injuries, relegation battle, new manager etc) but because strikers of his build and athleticism don't grow on trees, I am reluctant to write him off as a top-flight player. However I don't think he fits into RH's plans and as he is the boss I think it best Sam moves on and hopefully comes again with renewed confidence.

What was your bias here again? Do you know the lad directly?

Just to keep it thread specific... Adam Blackmore says we're still in talks with Birmingham...

@AdamBlackmore: Back from holiday..

#saintsfc still negotiating with Birmingham for Che Adams

Club hopeful of completing Djenepo signing by Tuesday

Contrary to reports, Saints have not had any contact with Serie B club Spezia over Nigerian forward David Okereke - one to watch maybe ...

I hope we get this one over the line, he's a really good forward. Would add a lot of pace to our attack and that would probably finish our additions in attack - then we can focus on the back.

It's an interesting one, because I always assumed he wasn't our primary striker target.

Time for another obligatory? (He knows how to find a bottom corner)

Majority of his goals in that video are gifts from horrific defending/keeping or tap ins.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Any chance he qualifies for the Dutch national team? I've heard they get quite a few goals from those situations...

Majority of his goals in that video are gifts from horrific defending/keeping or tap ins.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tend to agree.. something about his finishing looks kinda scruffy and scuffed. And makes me wonder if he's got the technique for the prem.. on the good side though he's seems to have all the physical attiributes built and pacy

Good strikers seem to have a nack of being in the right place at the right time tho
Charlie Austin does and he ain't up to scratch in the prem anymore, stick him in that birmingham side and he'd bang them in as well. Defending is the biggest difference in quality between Prem and Championship and nothing about anything I've seen of Adams makes me think he could make the step up.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

The majority of all goals are from some kind of defensive error somewhere in the build up.
Brilliant. Top scorer 19/20 confirmed then.

I think there's better out there, even looking in the championship and even at the price we're looking to pay.

If we signed Adams to be the man to get us goals I'm betting on us to get relegated next season.

Brilliant. Top scorer 19/20 confirmed then.

I think there's better out there, even looking in the championship and even at the price we're looking to pay.

If we signed Adams to be the man to get us goals I'm betting on us to get relegated next season.

Incredible to right off a season before we’ve even bid an acceptable offer for a striker who scored 20 goals last year. Our fans are something else :lol:

Charlie Austin does and he ain't up to scratch in the prem anymore, stick him in that birmingham side and he'd bang them in as well. Defending is the biggest difference in quality between Prem and Championship and nothing about anything I've seen of Adams makes me think he could make the step up.

So what are your criticisms of CA? Pace? Movement?

yeah its an interesting one, not many goals were from fast transitions, he seems to of been fed in the box, maybe we are looking at the wingers to be the forward movers as the quicker players and feed Che/Ings in the box

I agree, very few of the goals were the result of free flowing moves, but perhaps that is down to the style or abilities of Birmingham.

I thought that he showed good pace, strength and a strong right foot shot. My other observation (based on a single video) is that of the 20 goals, only a single one was scored with his left foot (a tap in) and no headed goals at all. He isn't the tallest guy, so isn't necessarily going get many goals with his head, but good shorter strikers such as Keegan/Mane still score a fair number of goals with their head. I'd be more concerned with the absence of left foot goals, Premier league defenders will quickly suss out to keep him on his left. However, let Ralph get at him and coach him into some different techniques, and I'd want to see more of his general play to understand if he really is one footed, as we know a single Youtube video can be very, very misleading ....

Overall I am on the optimistic side if we can get this signing off the ground.

This gets more interesting by the day. Maybe the thinking is that we need one decent striker; the figure of £20m has been bandied around as the sort of money we have "agreed" to pay the BinDippers for Ings but have we?

There sis clearly £20m in the pot for a striker so the reported bidding for a highly mobile Adams may be regarded as a far better alternative to a very fragile Ings for the money by Ralph.

Very obviously we do not have £40m to buy both so if we persuade Birmingham to part with Adams for under £20m then any "understanding" on Ings future will go out the window and if we c an get him for £15m that's £5m saved to put towards the

This gets more interesting by the day. Maybe the thinking is that we need one decent striker; the figure of £20m has been bandied around as the sort of money we have "agreed" to pay the BinDippers for Ings but have we?

There sis clearly £20m in the pot for a striker so the reported bidding for a highly mobile Adams may be regarded as a far better alternative to a very fragile Ings for the money by Ralph.

Very obviously we do not have £40m to buy both so if we persuade Birmingham to part with Adams for under £20m then any "understanding" on Ings future will go out the window and if we c an get him for £15m that's £5m saved to put towards the

Yes we have. (Well £18m plus £2m add ons) Can't understand why anyone is still doubting this.

Danny Ings has completed a £20 million move to Southampton, initially on a season-long loan but with a commitment for an additional three years.

Ings completed a complicated switch to St Mary’s after the club’s agreed the structure of payments ahead of the close of business.

Although his first year will be on loan, Southampton have committed to buy the striker on July 1, 2019. Liverpool are guaranteed £18 million, with a further £2 million based on appearances.

Despite both clubs insisting his next 12 months is part of a loan deal, the 26-year-old has signed a four-year contract until 2022. Liverpool will also receive 20 per cent of any future sale of Ings.

I liked him at Sheff Utd, and when i’ve seen him for Birmingham he’s also been good. I’ve read that he’s quite small but that surprised me because he always looks quite big on the pitch! I’ve seen him make some great link up play and through balls as well, don’t think he’s just a hang on the penalty spot type forward. I’d really like him in.

Seems to be a good finisher, knows where the goal is without really needing to look and takes shots early which I think is a good trait as it doesn't allow keepers to set themselves.

Seems to be a good combination of quick but also decently strong.

Obviously some areas to work on but that is why he is a 22 year old championship striker, we are buying him for the raw ingredients that we can hopefully improve.

Has a style that reminds me of Kevin Phillips.

Did they edit this article later on? Unless I'm dreaming, I could have sworn it implied he was our No.1 striker target

It now reads "The Daily Echo understands that Adams is one of several striking targets identified by Hasenhuttl and that if the Blues ask for a fee far in excess of Saints’ valuation that they will quickly move on".

Edited by SuperSAINT

Yes we have. (Well £18m plus £2m add ons) Can't understand why anyone is still doubting this.

Yes, I know the official line but we don't have £40m to spend on strikers so why are we looking at Adams? Can only be that we have an option to quit on Ings if he didn't meet certain conditions and he has not met some of those conditions.

What other reason can you come up with?

Yes, I know the official line but we don't have £40m to spend on strikers so why are we looking at Adams? Can only be that we have an option to quit on Ings if he didn't meet certain conditions and he has not met some of those conditions.

I dunno, I tend to over analyse things like this but I have a sneaking suspicion that Ralph simply wants another striker as well as Ings.

I expect the money for Ings was set aside last year......

I'm not convinced Adams has enough about his all round game to make it in the premier league it would still be a huge gamble, I certainly wouldn't pay more than 10 million for him

Edited by Mr X

I'm not convinced Adams has enough about his all round game to make it in the premier league it would still be a huge gamble, I certainly wouldn't pay more than 10 million for him
My cousin is a Blues fan and thinks he is decent but not brilliant. Best attribute is strength backing into defenders and turning them with his pace.

Thinks he would be a decent signing for a lower PL side, which is what we are I guess.

I presume the fee for Ings would be in last years budget, plus its probably in instalments as well.

My cousin is a Blues fan and thinks he is decent but not brilliant. Best attribute is strength backing into defenders and turning them with his pace.

Thinks he would be a decent signing for a lower PL side, which is what we are I guess.

I'd agree with that. His game has come on a lot over the last 12 months and he seems ready for the step up, but there would need to be some continued improvement once he got here. His touch wasn't too bad and he showed good strength, but he's not great in the air. He is not lightening quick, but he is sharp and when the opportunity arises (a one two for example) he does come to life. Dare I say it, he might be considered as is a slightly faster Charlie Austin.

I presume the fee for Ings would be in last years budget, plus its probably in instalments as well.

why was it deemed a loan last season if the transfer fee was in last years budget? It will be instalments. 50% up front (start of 2019/2020 season and 50% by end of that season.

why was it deemed a loan last season if the transfer fee was in last years budget? It will be instalments. 50% up front (start of 2019/2020 season and 50% by end of that season.

I would guess that it was a loan because the deal was done at the very end of the transfer window and it would have been quicker to set up a loan than a full transfer with only minutes left before the window slammed shut.

I would guess that it was a loan because the deal was done at the very end of the transfer window and it would have been quicker to set up a loan than a full transfer with only minutes left before the window slammed shut.

Agree, that was my understanding at the time. I could have been mistaken though.....