Saints 1 v Palace 1 Match Reaction

Crab Lungs

A few observations.

Zaha, what a player but also what a petulant turd. Ridiculous. Obviously frustrated as he does get tw4tted around quite a bit but grow up you absolute w4nker. JWP reaction not cool either.

If ever there was an advert for how far we've slipped player-wise, this was it. This was us, trying to go toe-to-toe with Palace. Yes they've got some excellent players on the break but this performance screamed 'reinforcements' - especially at CB and upfront (either a focal point or pace or both).

Stephens... terrible, but sarcastically cheering him was the form of d1ckheads - of which we've got more than our fair share. He will never be a decent PL CB but he's definitely got potential elsewhere in the team, maybe at holding midfield.

Was frustrating that our CB's kept getting intercepted around the halfway line when bringing the ball out but people need to be patient and understand what they're trying to do. But no, instead, the mongrel weirdos screaming 'gettit forward uuuuu caaaaaant' think they know best.

One of cr4pper performances under RH which is prime evidence for strengthening - however; I think if we can't get what we want in this window then we have more than enough to limp to high 30's in points then go again in the summer. Properly. Actually properly back him.

Now which one of the dinnies on here is going to clamour for Gunn in goal?

Ratings

McCarthy - Awful. Flapped at crosses, beaten on his near post with Palaces first shot on target. 2

Valary- Not as bad as people make out 5

Bednarek - Probably our best player once again, cleared off the line and made a vital challenge when last man when we were chasing the game 7

Vestegaard- Not his finest hour, still misses too many headers for a player his size 5

Stephens- Shaky tonight, gave the ball away lots and was lucky to net get cautioned with a bad challenge 4

Targett- Had some moments going forward, and got the assist 6

JWP- Quieter game than his last few, but nice finish for the equaliser and wound up Zaha brilliantly 6

Hojbjerg- Not his usual industrious self. Seemed a bit off the pace 5

Romeu - Made some good tackles, but part of a midfield which struggled 5

Redmond- His worst display since Ralph took over, Not involved at all today 4

Ings- Some good running, but another player who looked disinterested and off the pace 4

Subs - Armstrong 5, Elyounoussi 2, Slattery 4

All in all, a good point considering we played fairly terribly. Moves us to 16th, 4 points clear of the relegation zone.

Some interesting substitutions from Ralph, I wasn't expecting Vestergaard to come off, he was playing well compared to Stephens having a 'mare in the first half. Glad to see Moi doing the square root of eff all once again.

Hope Zaha gets a 5+ game ban, what a pillock, Hodgson is going to be fuming and this could be the start of them sliding down the table. Credit to JWP for winding him up appropriately and the ref for getting the decision correct (about the only one he did get right all night, mind).

Zaha always does that, gets punted about and then moans. Comes with the sort of player he is, get over it and be like Ronaldo and just score 3 goals after being punted about for 90 mins. Silly twit.

Need Yoshida and Bertrand back, so bad.

Redmond was missing today.

I wonder if Ralph was playing for a draw. Was all very negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poor Game

Awful performance from saints. I would go as far as saying Andre Mariner was our best player

This is one for the memory banks where a ref was onside for us

awful game so a very good point in the end......

That's just exaggerating. We weren't great but we certainly weren't awful. I'm very happy with a point.

Still lots of work to be done...just not moving the ball forward quick enough, Palace sitting deep didn't help, but we will come up against teams like that and we will have to find a way through.

Poor game for us, but at least there is more fight in the team.

My ratings..

McCarthy - Awful. Flapped at crosses, beaten on his near post with Palaces first shot on target. 2

Bednarek - Probably our best player once again, cleared off the line and made a vital challenge when last man when we chasing the game 7

Vestegaard- Not his finest hour, still misses too many headers for a player his size 5

Stephens- Shaky tonight, gave the ball away lots and was lucky to net get cautioned with a bad challenge 4

JWP- Quieter game than his last few, but nice finish for the equaliser and wound up Zaha brilliantly 6

Ings- Some good running, but another player who looked disinterested and off the pace 4

Got away with that tonight. Draw a fair result, didn’t create enough in the final third. Ball going out to the full backs plenty but nobody getting close to provide support.

When JWP switched to the right he was in soooo much space but continued to go down the left despite him screaming for it.

Still plenty of work to do in getting the balance right in the side

Poor performance, decent result given how poor we were.

Maybe a reminder to some of how weak our options are in some areas of the team and squad? When Redmond has an off day or is marked well, we have precious little else to worry the opposition. Desperately need another quality quick option. And also a right back of course.

There's a limit to what Ralph can achieve with this squad, good though he is.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

We would have lost under Hughes

This. Under Hughes we would have been buried.

We didn't play well but found a point. Not exactly panic stations.

Sidenote, loving Prowsey showing more drive, more aggression and more general being a d*ckhead - we've been far too nice for too long!

My stream went in the first half too, and I can safely say she is the absolute worst commentator I have ever seen. Useless.

When we scored it took forever to work out we had equalised (rather than be two down) and she never managed to name the scorer. She seemed to not know the names of any players, or describe any action. Used odd training-ground speak like "the red zone" instead of actually saying what was happening. Completely forgot that the rest of us can't see her screen.

I can't imagine she'll be back on Sky again.

g

Apparently she's the Captain of the Bindippers women's team. Where do Sky get this rubbish? Oh! Sorry. Liverpool!

I genuinely don't think he's exaggerating.

If that was a Hughes performance, this place would have melted down.

You might have, along with a few other usual suspects. Others will see it for what it was. A poor overall performance but by no means dreadful. It's not like they carved us open time and again and created loads of clear chances.

Ultimately, Palace have some good defenders and they did a number on us by completely marking Redmond out of the game and therefore nullifying our primary attacking threat.

I seem to remember it was this fixture last season that really got me worried we might go down. We took the lead and then crumbled and gifted them the points. Compare that to tonight - a very different story.

Could do better is the new awful it seems. I'd love to see some of the school report cards of some of our posters. "Batman did not pay attention last term, but this term he is a total tosser. He couldn't spell his way out of a wet paper bag. He was doing well under Miss Pritchet, but since she was sacked and we brought in Mr Boing, Batman has totally lost his head. A total melon.

My stream went in the first half too, and I can safely say she is the absolute worst commentator I have ever seen. Useless.

When we scored it took forever to work out we had equalised (rather than be two down) and she never managed to name the scorer. She seemed to not know the names of any players, or describe any action. Used odd training-ground speak like "the red zone" instead of actually saying what was happening. Completely forgot that the rest of us can't see her screen.

I can't imagine she'll be back on Sky again.

Had that on the background.

This is pure PC cr4p. Winds me up. Absolutely not cut out for it - could have had a decent summariser in (even someone who hasn't played, like Michelle Owen) instead if they're going to go down that route.

They'll have transgendered HDMI cables on match reports soon.

Think it would all be easier if people realised the objective is to just stay up and then re build in summer, as Ralph has stated so many times, but seems to go over most fans heads and not be relevant information.

This current squad is capable of finishing somewhere between 16th and 13th.

Happy to take the point, JWP has played better recently but very helpful scoring habit and liking the edge in his game.

Stephens was shocking but we haven't got lots of options at CB. Lucky not to at least get booked for that first half challenge. With Lemina seemingly out long-ish term, when Yoshi gets back I'd play Jack at DMC. Has the engine to play in midfield. PEH and Romeu poor, Valery defended OK but limited going forward, but that may have been the instruction tbf. Targett very poor, need Bertrand back Sat big time as one of our few proven PL standard players.

Ings and Redmond very isloated and Palace defended well.

Finally, not having watched a stream, what did Zaha do after being sent off? He got 2 yellows for reaction/dissent but the comments on the match thread he'd done more as he was leaving the pitch? Will be interesting to see if turns up in Marriner's report. A one match ban becoming 2 or 3 would not please Hodgson.

Certainly struggled to create anything tonight but I think on balance a draw was a fair result. Sometimes you have to give the oppo credit and Palace did well to nullify our main threat of Redmond and stopped our wing backs getting in behind (goal aside obviously). I felt like Armstrong did well and perhaps could’ve been on sooner. Definitely something to work on as we will have more of these games in the future where the onus is on us to break down a stubborn defence.

It must be a worry for RH that he sells his senior RB to put faith in a youngster who is then hauled off after an hour to be replaced with a midfielder a few days later. I like Valero and think he has a lot of potential but it’s mad to put that sort of pressure on him to be our first choice full back.

We were pretty crap but we got a point, which could yet be quite important.

Move on.

Says it all really -got to be happy with a point, given the performance. Can't believe Hodgson was so negative in the 2nd half. Well taken goal again by Ward-Prowse who wasn't effective tonight in midfield but did well when switched to RB/wing-back - great assist from Targett who was otherwise very average. Thought Romeu was once again our best by a long margin. What a prat was Zaha - such a good player; such a stupid reaction.

Just one of those games with two fairly matched sides down the bottom. Us and Palace can play a lot better than that but it was cagey.

Just disappointed with our intensity. Every player we had out there has put in higher energy performances than that recently and we haven't had a game for a while.

Also, I know we're short of options but the line up seemed really negative. Home to palace and two isolated forwards and 3 central midfielders. Think Armstrong or Long from the start supporting the attack would have really made a difference.

Still, staying up isn't about being great every game. This is just about getting enough points on the board. It's a shame but that's what you get for appointing Mark Hughes. Think we'll see a far more attacking side from Ralph next season.

This as well.

Just want to ride this season out now, get it over and done with and go again next year.

It really feels like they're trying, but they're blatantly not good enough - even to scrap out a draw at home with Palace.

Still lots of work to be done...just not moving the ball forward quick enough, Palace sitting deep didn't help, but we will come up against teams like that and we will have to find a way through.

teams that are set up well and sit deep are going to pose us real problems. We lack quality technical players that can unlock teams and wing backs like Targett simply are not good enough to pose half decent fullbacks a problem. Cant fault our effort, but we lack guile.

Finally, not having watched a stream, what did Zaha do after being sent off? He got 2 yellows for reaction/dissent but the comments on the match thread he'd done more as he was leaving the pitch? Will be interesting to see if turns up in Marriner's report. A one match ban becoming 2 or 3 would not please Hodgson.

His first yellow was for lashing out at JWP - just handbags really. Then he sarcastically clapped the ref for booking him, and he promptly showed him a second yellow. But Zaha just kept going, kept clapping him and wouldn't leave the pitch. It was quite pathetic to watch really.

Certainly struggled to create anything tonight but I think on balance a draw was a fair result. Sometimes you have to give the oppo credit and Palace did well to nullify our main threat of Redmond and stopped our wing backs getting in behind (goal aside obviously). I felt like Armstrong did well and perhaps could’ve been on sooner. Definitely something to work on as we will have more of these games in the future where the onus is on us to break down a stubborn defence.

It must be a worry for RH that he sells his senior RB to put faith in a youngster who is then hauled off after an hour to be replaced with a midfielder a few days later. I like Valero and think he has a lot of potential but it’s mad to put that sort of pressure on him to be our first choice full back.

Valery was hardly hauled off. It’s was clearly an attacking move by Ralph because we were losing.

Think it would all be easier if people realised the objective is to just stay up and then re build in summer, as Ralph has stated so many times, but seems to go over most fans heads and not be relevant information.

This current squad is capable of finishing somewhere between 16th and 13th.

Spot on.

My ratings..

Bednarek - Probably our best player once again, cleared off the line and made a vital challenge when last man when we chasing the game 7

I actually thought Stephens was superb.. looked so comfortable on the ball breaking forward and passing.