Saints 1 v Palace 1 Match Reaction

Crab Lungs

I'm not sure how people can say we didn't deserve a point. It's not as if our goal was a dodgy penalty or lucky deflection, or that Palace had a goal wrongly disallowed. We both scored one each, fair and square.

Palace came for a point. They sat back, waited and played on the counter. In a way it's much easier than trying to press and open up a defence through good technical play. It's not as if they battered us in terms of overall play and they didn't really have that many chances. Sakho's header was the main one they wasted.

If ever a performance missed Tadic (on a good day) it was last night.

I thought Ralph got that one wrong tactically for most of the game. The 352 was too defensive and Ings and Redmond weren't getting any service. I would have preferred 3421 with Armstrong in there. Most of our best play this season has come when Armstrong and Redmond have been on the ball.

Didn't have a great view of their goal but it looked very saveable to me.

Valery did pretty well. Targett had a bit of a mare but did well for our goal. Hopefully Bertrand is back soon.

Bednarek made yet another incredible clearance stopping a certain goal. Probably our best player.

Hojbjerg, Romeu and JWP were too flat and too strung out across the pitch. My tactical gripe.

I'd like to see us a bit more positive in the next couple of matches and hopefully we can add someone tomorrow as we are very thin at the moment.

I thought Palace did a good job of taking away the shunt space, where our back three tap it off to Romeu or PEH and leave them to move it forward. Palace sat back and forced Stephens, Bednarek and Vestergaard to pass between themselves while they shut off the pass options. If they didn't pass it early the opportunity disappeared. That often left them with the only option of hitting it long or trying to carry it forward. But let's not forget that when they tried to take it forward in the first half they committed some scary giveaways. We could easily have been three down at half time.

The key, for me, is that neither Valery nor Targett is good enough (at least yet) to provide a solid flank option. That side with Bertrand and even Cedric in it would have looked much better tonight.

We need another right wing back in a big way, and we need Bertrand back. I think Valery is going to be decent one day but he needs to develop his confidence without the heavy pressure he's facing in that team at the moment.

I have to agree that RH was not tactically astute last night, 3 at the back meant that we had little option but to pass it around between themselves or spray long balls over their 2 solid banks of 4 (unfortunately they do not possess Beckenbauer type skills) !

IMHO Armstrong should have replaced a CB (Stephens would have been my choice) much earlier and it was clear that we improved as soon as the change of shape was made !

I'm not sure how people can say we didn't deserve a point. It's not as if our goal was a dodgy penalty or lucky deflection, or that Palace had a goal wrongly disallowed. We both scored one each, fair and square.

Palace came for a point. They sat back, waited and played on the counter. In a way it's much easier than trying to press and open up a defence through good technical play. It's not as if they battered us in terms of overall play and they didn't really have that many chances. Sakho's header was the main one they wasted.

This ^^^

I just don't think we performed well enough over the 90, but obviously I'll take the point as a positive! Palace will feel hard done by in my opinion, they could have won that.

I think we played as though Hughes was still in charge for much of that game. Too much passing around at the back instead of the quick breaks forward we've recently enjoyed. Was that just because Palace stopped us playing that way? We had plenty of chances to get it forward with JWP when he switched to the right but insisted on punting it to Targett who was then outnumbered.

As for the Zaha incident, he was fouled a lot and he also dived a lot. The coming together with JWP may have been a foul but, if it was, it was a minor one. His reaction was out of all proportion and I hope he gets an extended ban and weakens our rivals.

It's easy to say there was too much passing round at the back. Palace were sitting back in numbers making the quick forward ball difficult. Our goal came from patience until the right moment came.

We were trying the braver incisive forward passes, but the danger when these failed was obvious on the way Palace can break, and that was their game plan. Sit back, frustrate, wait for the mistake.

We we're better when Armstrong came on because he provided more movement and vision, both of which I hope can be coached in others.

I thought the crowd were disappointing, adding to the frustration and showing little understanding.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Why ludicrous? Targett, Yoshida, Stephens, Vestergaard are all incredibly average. If we genuinely want to progess they need replacing.

christ. there’s a lot of nonsense on here but this has to be one of the dumbest things I’ve read in a while. Cheers for the laugh!

Roy got his tactics right pretty much throughout and we couldn't find a way past the way they were set up. We rode our luck a few times losing possession when we were looking for the right forward pass, but I would rather see us try to find the passes than revert to the negative play we saw under Puel and MoPe where we just passed it back and forth across the back line. Palace were organised and their full backs (with support from midfielders) managed to nullify our wingbacks. This made it impossible to set up the sort of pass and move plays involving Redmond and Targett which we have been successful with recently. They were happy for our CBs to have the ball fairly safe in the knowledge that all of the dangerous passes were blocked off by man marking our attacking threats out of the game.

We will face this sort of defensive performance again and need a strategy to counter it. That probably means using 4 at the back to release another player further forward and in the summer bringing in players who can offer us alternative options - a bit more pace, power and creativity.

Good assessment. Armstrong for a CB was a move that gave us a bit more inventiveness.

I just don't think we performed well enough over the 90, but obviously I'll take the point as a positive! Palace will feel hard done by in my opinion, they could have won that.

I don't think they will; They came for a point and they got it. Sitting back and playing on the counter suits their players but no system is perfect. They let us have plenty of the ball in the midfield and didn't put a lot of pressure on our back three. Breaking them down was always going to be a struggle but we did it and scored a well made goal. Playing like Palace is also going to mean chances are limited and when they come, you have to take them, which they didn't. They didn't do much other than 3 corners; Sakho's header, one he put wide first half and the disallowed goal.

christ. there’s a lot of nonsense on here but this has to be one of the dumbest things I’ve read in a while. Cheers for the laugh!

I'd agree with him on Targett and Stephens. Vest I'm not sure on yet.

Not Yoshida though, him and Jan are our best defenders now.

I couldn't really see the angles from where I was sat, but how close was Armstrong to scoring, or rather how good a save was it?

A good shot, and a good save. But one you'd probably expect a goalkeeper to make. If it was Alisson they'd probably be replaying it all the time, but I didn't watch the replay and think "how on earth has he kept that out?!"

On a related note, I'm impressed with Armstrong's reliability when it comes to shooting - often forces the keeper into a save (or a defender into a block) from shots where the average Saints player would miskick or balloon over the bar.

I couldn't really see the angles from where I was sat, but how close was Armstrong to scoring, or rather how good a save was it?
The save looked pretty good and there was another chance he pulled wide.

If he and JWP are competing for one place, it's a hard call. I'm guessing Ralph would like to be able to trust a back four and then play both.

I don't think you can say overall either team deserved to win that.

And I think probably its a good sign that we didn't play at the level we know the team can but we still came from goal down to earn a point and not lose.

That wouldn't have happened under Hughes and IMO even shows progress from example the West Ham game, where again we didn't play well but still had chances to at least draw that game (hit the woodwork, clear pen etc.) so I think it shows the greater character in the squad.

We will have our off days and this was clearly one of them, but we still got a point so showed good character.

There were two Armstrong shots..the first one he curled into the corner but not enough pace to worry the goalkeepers dive. The second was late on when he half volleyed a bullet towards the corner which was luckily blocked by a diving defender.

We look much better with Armstrong on the pitch, surprised Hasenhuttl waited an hour to bring him on.

Agreed..but Hodgson has this habit of protecting what you’ve got and they visibly deepened on the pitch for the last 20 minutes.

So, overall a draw was just about a fair result.

The issue is as soon as we go four at the back we will be easier to counter attack by sides like Palace. Our CBs have proved time and again that playing in a four they suck balls.

I still think the formation would work better with higher quality wing backs with more pace than Targett and Valery.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Oh yes, I agree with both of your comments, but when you are presented with a challenge like the one that Palace set us last night you have to try something. At least RH was brave enough to change the shape and put an extra attacking player on. I can't see him starting with 2 CBs until he finds a paring that he is confident with either from the current group or by buying new. An upgrade at LWB comes when Bertrand returns. I'd like us to buy in an upgrade at RWB today, but if that's not possible then it's got to be a priority in the summer.

There were a couple of factors which swung the impetus of the match in Palace's favour. Hodgson who is an old and wise bird, set them up perfectly to neutralise the threat of our preferred high press under Hasenhuttl. Secondly, it appears that as is often the case, we don't play as well after an extended break between matches, losing impetus and weakening the confidence gained from our last win. Palace have speedy players in their team, so it was their natural away game plan against a high press team to create an impenetrable barrier at the back to stifle our attack, and to hit us on the break. On more than one occasion especially in the first half, they broke forward at speed and we were only saved by some last ditch tackles. Palace's defensive plan also meant that there was little benefit in us breaking fast, or putting the ball over the midfield, as our forwards weren't there to receive it. We were restricted to the ponderous build up play seeking an opening through a packed tight midfield, meaning that many of our short passes were intercepted. Palace were well drilled and riding high on their more recent success knocking Spurs out of the FA Cup three days earlier.

The first half was an edgy affair, both sides playing tentatively, but Palace were looking the more threatening, especially through Zaha, and there was an inevitability that it would be him who broke the deadlock. Once ahead, Palace could sit on their lead, inviting us on to them, but increasing the chances of hitting us on the break as we sought the equaliser. Hasenhuttl had to make tactical changes to try and change the dynamics of our team, but when he made the substitutions, I was quite incredulous and had Hughes made the same ones, I would have accused him of losing his marbles. First, he took off Valery, who I thought had played quite well against Zaha most of the time, and replaced him with Armstrong just after the hour. OK, going for more bite and invention in midfield, but weakening the defence. But then I was astonished when he took off Vestergaard for Elyounoussi on 75 minutes. That seemed to leave a gaping hole in defence and add not a lot of anything in return. The later substitution of Hojbjerg for Slattery on 85 minutes was fair enough after Zaha was sent off and we were chasing all three points, so the introduction of fresh legs was a good tactic. Despite my misgivings, the substitutions worked, as we managed to score an equaliser, quite out of the blue, finally some incisive passing around the box allowing Ward-Prowse to slot home yet another goal. He is having a real purple patch, making himself difficult to leave out of the team. However, he had been quite poor up until then, but the scoresheet is what matters.

The game-changer came with Zaha's red card towards the end of the match. Ward-Prowse blatantly pushed him out of play and instead of getting the free kick that he deserved, the incompetent referee, Mariner, awarded a throw in to us. Zaha was incensed and following a handbags scuffle he received a yellow card, followed shortly after by the second for dissent. Zaha had been their main threat, most of Palace's other shots having been poor, from distance, high and wide. We surged forwards trying to score the winner, having a goalward shot blocked at the death.

Palace are a decent team, well managed, and were the better team on the night, and yet we could have won all three points. Such is football. When they had scored, it still looked as if we couldn't respond, so the point is a good one. We will do better against the teams that don't park the bus and allow us the space to press high and pass and move, which is our game under Hasenhuttl. Pochettino's team with Saints used to suffer in the same way against those tactics, and it is instructive that Palace beat Pochettino's high riding Spurs a few days previously.

Top write-up.

Perhaps Ward-Prowse should look at the fixture list before giving a fist clench “get in” reaction for winding Zaha up. We know how bad Palace are without him, and they’ve got Fulham Saturday.

Personally, I think it’s classless. Not so much the actual wind up, but celebrating someone getting a red is. Ronaldo’s wink was, and imagine this place if Jamie Vardy did the same to Ings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps Ward-Prowse should look at the fixture list before giving a fist clench “get in” reaction for winding Zaha up. We know how bad Palace are without him, and they’ve got Fulham Saturday.

Personally, I think it’s classless. Not so much the actual wind up, but celebrating someone getting a red is. Ronaldo’s wink was, and imagine this place if Jamie Vardy did the same to Ings.

I agree, it was a classless thing to do. I also didn't like Tadic waving an imaginary card a few years ago to get some (Whittaker I think) sent off for Norwich.

I would actually rather they didn't beat Fulham TBH as I can't see the latter staying up, regardless of Saturday's result and we're level with Palace in the table.

Not a great game to mark my first visit to St Mary's of the season, but ultimately a decent point. I cheered when Zaha got sent off, from the other end of the ground where I was it looked like he'd raised his hands. After seeing the replay on MOTD just now, JWP wound him up like a kipper. Anyway that'll be a long suspension for him, all the better for us.

Terrible first half, better second.

McCarthy 5 - not impressed. He was poor at corners and didn't look comfortable. Made one save that I remember.

Bednarek 6 - another clearance off the line, didn't overly stand out but solid.

Stephens 6 - Should have been sent off for that tackle. Brought the ball forward well and made one important tackle when he was the last man standing, but some passes went astray.

Vestergaard 7 - Made a couple of interceptions and decent long passes but can be as bad as he can be good.

Valery 7 - Up against Zaha, didn't look out of place. Needs to be better in attack though, even first time balls. I do hope we sign a right back today, Valery should be decent back up not first choice...yet.

Hojbjerg 6 - Less effective after his booking but good engine and was getting his foot in.

JWP 7 - Not very effective in midfield especially first half but actually improved when he moved to the right. He's not a quick player but he was finding space (that was being ignored) can cross the ball, and was in the right place to score.

Romeu 8 - my MOTM. Good passing and pestering the Palace players. Dropped deeper late on when we had only 3 defenders on the pitch.

Targett 6 - has no pace to beat a player, and was defensively suspect getting caught up the the pitch at times. But is improving from past games, good cross for the goal. Decent back up for Bertrand.

Redmond 6 - Was trying but they nullified his threat. Need another pacy attacking player for when it's not his day.

Ings 6 - Tried hard but was isolated. Has class though, and manufactured a shot for himself.

As for the subs, Armstrong improved us when he came on, Elyounoussi offered little but for one or two neat touches, and Slattery did little.

I think Hasenhuttl went too defensive for this one, in the first half we were crying out for Armstrong. 3 midfielders is good away from home, but need more attacking impetus at home. (Although it is tricky to decide which of the three to drop currently.) Also I don't mind the patient build up from the back unlike some of the people around me, but in the second half JWP found loads of space that wasn't being used.

Lastly about Palace... they have some really big units in their team! Sakho, Kouyate, Ayew, Zaha and Wan Bissaka are all beasts. I did think, on paper, they were the better team, and should be higher in table, but they didn't do much to prove that to me yesterday. They were good on the attack but largely it was nothing our defence couldn't handle.

Oh, and I quite liked the light show!

So they aren't average? Must be why so many top 10 clubs are clambering for their services. I don't disagree with Lighthouse's later point that Yoshida is now one of our best defenders but that says more about the rest of our defence than about Yoshida imo.

Redmond 6 - Was trying but they nullified his threat. Need another pacy attacking player for when it's not his day.

We need 'a' pacy player. Redmond having pace is a myth. Quick feet yes, but not straight line speed. Armstrong offers more from that perspective.

Reality check - we are an extremely ordinary team with very little flair and no attacking edge. We got more than we deserved today against a Palace team that were better than us pretty much all round.

Am I the only one that feels we cheated Zaha? - he was the best player on the pitch, he was scythed down by Bednarak who was lucky not to get a red and fouled by JWP who then mock threw the ball at his face for the sending off incident (yes the clapping is petty - but be honest if that situation was in reverse we'd be mad at the ref for not calling a foul). Thought JWP's reaction was immature.

Terrible performance all round. Take the point and count ourselves lucky. Let's not have another 11-day break if that's the result. What's the story with Bertrand and Lemina for goodness sake - when will we ever see them again? We lack class. Yoshida needed back too.

Zaha prevented JWP from taking a throw-in and could have been booked for that alone. I thought that JWP handled the situation masterfully.

It's easy to say there was too much passing round at the back. Palace were sitting back in numbers making the quick forward ball difficult. Our goal came from patience until the right moment came.

We were trying the braver incisive forward passes, but the danger when these failed was obvious on the way Palace can break, and that was their game plan. Sit back, frustrate, wait for the mistake.

We we're better when Armstrong came on because he provided more movement and vision, both of which I hope can be coached in others.

I thought the crowd were disappointing, adding to the frustration and showing little understanding.

Good summing up there.............i was annoyed at the lethergy we showed in large peroids of the game last night, we didnt pick the right pass at the right time.

Stephens was a very lucky boy last night and when replays showed the tackle even luckier the player being tackled got out the way,and when Hojberg got booked i thought there we go again soon well be down to 10,but

thankfully it didnt materialise.

Overall disappointed. Palace arnt in a good way but then again from Brighton down who is?

I agree, it was a classless thing to do. I also didn't like Tadic waving an imaginary card a few years ago to get some (Whittaker I think) sent off for Norwich.

I would actually rather they didn't beat Fulham TBH as I can't see the latter staying up, regardless of Saturday's result and we're level with Palace in the table.

I think the fist clench was more at the Ref who actually for once doing what he should be doing and showed the silly sod the second yellow for dissent towards the ref.

In real time Zaha was off the pitch and both were stumbling. As Shearer said with some glee on MOTD "watch Ward Prowse reeling him in", to be honest the way Zaha was throwing himself to the floor and winning fouls for non existent contact, I couldn't give a tinkers cuss about what happened to him. I am more pleased our players have a bit more bite, and not being meek sheep which we have been for many seasons.

Re- wind back to the EFL final and the chalked off Gabbi goal, we just accepted the decision, no one in the team demanded the Ref actually go to the Lino to ask who was offside, if that had been the other team they would have been like a pack of rabid animals demanding the Ref to actually go and have a conversation.

Agree with overall sentiment, poor performance against very astute opponents who probably deserved to win. And all in Baltic conditions!

3-5-2 or adaptation thereof has worked well for us, but I was agitating for this to be changed at half time and sacrifice one of the centre backs because it became obvious that the balance of players in front of the ball when we were in opossession versus level or even behind us just wasn’t right when you are chasing the game and Palace understandably happy to just build congestion. It’s very important that you take the lead with this system, not made for chasing the game down. Ralph did so very late and got away from it, I think he will reflect that on another day we wil not have done.

The good news though is that the old adage of “if you don’t play well, make sure you don’t lose” is apt. Onwards and upwards.

The balance issues weren't due to the number of centre backs, they were due to the number of central midfielders. A fairly flat 3 behind 2 forwards. We have been better offensively when we've had 2 centre midfielders behind 2 advance midfielders and one forward.

The 352 makes sense when it's a backs to the wall away job but at home the 3421 is much better to watch.

There were a couple of factors which swung the impetus of the match in Palace's favour. Hodgson who is an old and wise bird, set them up perfectly to neutralise the threat of our preferred high press under Hasenhuttl. Secondly, it appears that as is often the case, we don't play as well after an extended break between matches, losing impetus and weakening the confidence gained from our last win. Palace have speedy players in their team, so it was their natural away game plan against a high press team to create an impenetrable barrier at the back to stifle our attack, and to hit us on the break. On more than one occasion especially in the first half, they broke forward at speed and we were only saved by some last ditch tackles. Palace's defensive plan also meant that there was little benefit in us breaking fast, or putting the ball over the midfield, as our forwards weren't there to receive it. We were restricted to the ponderous build up play seeking an opening through a packed tight midfield, meaning that many of our short passes were intercepted. Palace were well drilled and riding high on their more recent success knocking Spurs out of the FA Cup three days earlier.

The first half was an edgy affair, both sides playing tentatively, but Palace were looking the more threatening, especially through Zaha, and there was an inevitability that it would be him who broke the deadlock. Once ahead, Palace could sit on their lead, inviting us on to them, but increasing the chances of hitting us on the break as we sought the equaliser. Hasenhuttl had to make tactical changes to try and change the dynamics of our team, but when he made the substitutions, I was quite incredulous and had Hughes made the same ones, I would have accused him of losing his marbles. First, he took off Valery, who I thought had played quite well against Zaha most of the time, and replaced him with Armstrong just after the hour. OK, going for more bite and invention in midfield, but weakening the defence. But then I was astonished when he took off Vestergaard for Elyounoussi on 75 minutes. That seemed to leave a gaping hole in defence and add not a lot of anything in return. The later substitution of Hojbjerg for Slattery on 85 minutes was fair enough after Zaha was sent off and we were chasing all three points, so the introduction of fresh legs was a good tactic. Despite my misgivings, the substitutions worked, as we managed to score an equaliser, quite out of the blue, finally some incisive passing around the box allowing Ward-Prowse to slot home yet another goal. He is having a real purple patch, making himself difficult to leave out of the team. However, he had been quite poor up until then, but the scoresheet is what matters.

The game-changer came with Zaha's red card towards the end of the match. Ward-Prowse blatantly pushed him out of play and instead of getting the free kick that he deserved, the incompetent referee, Mariner, awarded a throw in to us. Zaha was incensed and following a handbags scuffle he received a yellow card, followed shortly after by the second for dissent. Zaha had been their main threat, most of Palace's other shots having been poor, from distance, high and wide. We surged forwards trying to score the winner, having a goalward shot blocked at the death.

Palace are a decent team, well managed, and were the better team on the night, and yet we could have won all three points. Such is football. When they had scored, it still looked as if we couldn't respond, so the point is a good one. We will do better against the teams that don't park the bus and allow us the space to press high and pass and move, which is our game under Hasenhuttl. Pochettino's team with Saints used to suffer in the same way against those tactics, and it is instructive that Palace beat Pochettino's high riding Spurs a few days previously.

"game changer" ? What are you on about? It was right near the end of the match.

The definitive moment for us was when Armstrong came on and provided a link between midfield and attack for the first time.

The save looked pretty good and there was another chance he pulled wide.

If he and JWP are competing for one place, it's a hard call. I'm guessing Ralph would like to be able to trust a back four and then play both.

It depends on the system. JWP is better in a deeper role and Armstrong is much better if we play 3421. If we don't sign a right back today then I expect JWP to get quite a few minutes at wing back for the rest of the season.

Indeed. Criticising JWP for that is just ignorant. He reacted perfectly.

Pony.

Did you think Ronaldo reacted perfectly when he winked after getting Rooney sent off, or did you think “what a complete cnt”. As I said earlier, winding someone up is not that much of an issue, clenching your fist in a “get in” sort of celebration is classless. It’s classless if Vardy or Nugent did it, and it’s classless when one of our players does it.

Pony.

Did you think Ronaldo reacted perfectly when he winked after getting Rooney sent off, or did you think “what a complete cnt”. As I said earlier, winding someone up is not that much of an issue, clenching your fist in a “get in” sort of celebration is classless. It’s classless if Vardy or Nugent did it, and it’s classless when one of our players does it.

I was talking about the pre red card actions. The poster replied to originally said JWP was in the wrong. He wasn't.

The fist pump, whatever, is irrelevant. The ball was dead and the card had been shown and it had no impact on anyone. It was just interaction with our crowd.

I thought Ronaldo was a cnt. I have always thought he was a cnt for a number of reasons. I would put his little wink way down the list!

Just watched the highlights for the first time.

Didn't think Stephens was a red. Whilst studs were slightly up it was one footed and it was a slide, not a "launch" sort of tackle, with fairly minimal contact. You see plenty of those which aren't a red. Like the one on Targett by Wan-Bissaka.

Their number 4 did something similar, I think, which wasn't shown.

Still not sure about McCarthy. I think that could have been saved.

What's the penalty appeal their fans were going on about? MoTD didn't even bother showing it.

The Zaha / JWP incident wasn't a foul. JWP had arms on but it was 50/50. The way Zaha tried to make out he'd been elbowed or something just shows what a helmet he is.

Also, Lolz at the miserable blanket brigade in the Kingsland getting worked up about JWP not being passed to just before he scored.

Edited by benjii

I was talking about the pre red card actions. The poster replied to originally said JWP was in the wrong. He wasn't.

The fist pump, whatever, is irrelevant. The ball was dead and the card had been shown and it had no impact on anyone. It was just interaction with our crowd.

I thought Ronaldo was a cnt. I have always thought he was a cnt for a number of reasons. I would put his little wink way down the list!

Pretending to throw the ball in someone’s face is a little b itch move.

What's the penalty appeal their fans were going on about? MoTD didn't even bother showing it.

Think it might have been near the end. They had a corner and I think it was Bednarek kind of used his body to push a palace player over. Just kind of jumped into him and the Palace player went down like a sack of ****.

I might be way off, but I think that was the incident. The co-comm was all over it saying penalty. Would have been really really soft.

The penalty appeal was probably for Romeu. Who faced the complete opposite direction from the ball being delivered from a corner and just ploughed into their player. Not once’s faced the ball in the entire move

We would have been screaming for a penalty if that was at the other end

Hence why Mariner was our hero last night

Edited by Batman

Think it might have been near the end. They had a corner and I think it was Bednarek kind of used his body to push a palace player over. Just kind of jumped into him and the Palace player went down like a sack of ****.

I might be way off, but I think that was the incident. The co-comm was all over it saying penalty. Would have been really really soft.

No it was Romeu on Tomkins when he cleared him out from the corner. Not even looking at the ball or play. No complaints if it has been spotted and given.

The penalty appeal was probably for Romeu. Who faced the complete opposite direction from the ball being delivered from a corner and just ploughed into their player. Not once’s faced the ball in the entire move

No just inept like most of them

So they aren't average? Must be why so many top 10 clubs are clambering for their services. I don't disagree with Lighthouse's later point that Yoshida is now one of our best defenders but that says more about the rest of our defence than about Yoshida imo.

Bear in mind our team stats for this season:

Second highest number of interceptions.

Third highest number of clearances.

Third highest number of successful tackles.

Four players the poster suggested kicking out the club: Vest, Yoshida, Stephens, Targett.

Vestergaard has the third highest clearances for a player. To suggest he should leave is just ridiculous in my opinion. I think him and Bednarek are solid.

But we do need a new center-back. We've reportedly been looking in the market for a new center-half, I reckon Ralph rates Bednarek, he rates Vestergaard, but he feels Yoshi/Stephens (Stephens less so), while good back-up options, would be better on the bench.

And that's fine. Targett obviously isn't our first-choice left back, and if we get a new first-choice center-back (I think Ralph feels the same based on the rumours), I'm absolutely fine with keeping those players the poster mentioned as stand-ins.

We've cleaned out our squad of idle first-teamers this January. Are you now suggesting we need to clear out our reserve options?

With a make-shift defense we managed some fairly impressive statistics. When the first-choices are back (Bertrand/new RB/new CB) we'll be absolutely fine. And Yoshi/Stephens/Targett go back to the bench.

Did you think Ronaldo reacted perfectly when he winked after getting Rooney sent off

Ronaldo was aggressively in the ref's face telling him to send Rooney off. So the wink was Ronaldo smugly saying "Ha, there you go, my protest helped get him sent off", whereas the fist clenching yesterday from JWP was just a simple expression of delight in seeing Zaha getting himself sent off. So, not a like-for-like comparison IMO.

Edited by trousers

I thought I saw this happen? I couldn't really believe what I'd seen and then didn't really hear/see anything else about it so thought maybe I just had a bad view from my end of the ground.

I don't think Andre Marriner gives bad decisions, I think he just doesn't ever make any decisions. I've never seen a referee avoid making a call as much as him, it's insane. I said it before the game, he just runs around and avoids doing things at all costs, it's really weird. Thankfully we were the team that took advantage of this by doing things that should be called, and taking advantage of his unwillingness to do so.

I wondered how we would play against Zaha and Townsend. I think we were too frightened of them the way we decided not to play the advertised high tempo, high press, quick passes and runners up front and played right into their hands. It seems the whole emphasis was not to attack and lose the ball. I see Zaha has been charged with improper conduct.

Several times after multiple passes amongst the defenders either Stephens or Vestergaard dithered too long and were closed down and lost the ball several times dangerously so. I felt the possession tactic is all very well but all we did was allow the opposition to funnel ten players back and deny our attackers opportunities through sheer numbers, on occasions they won possession and broke dangerously inside our half, I would have thought with the high line they were taking when we had the ball from the keeper it was far less dangerous to play over the back four quickly.

Personally reverting to the safety first tactics caused us pressure in the box and could have led to more than the one goal we conceded. We had eight corners against us, a clearance off the line and were pressured on numerous occasions. I think we got it wrong and it was frustrating to watch the slow go nowhere sideways and backwards passing between the centre backs, reminiscent of Puel's and Pellegrino's obsession.

When Valery gets into the final third he has to stop turning back and across the field and attack the last defender outside and try and get to the bye line.

I wondered how we would play against Zaha and Townsend. I think we were too frightened of them the way we decided not to play the advertised high tempo, high press, quick passes and runners up front and played right into their hands. It seems the whole emphasis was not to attack and lose the ball. I see Zaha has been charged with improper conduct.

Several times after multiple passes amongst the defenders either Stephens or Vestergaard dithered too long and were closed down and lost the ball several times dangerously so. I felt the possession tactic is all very well but all we did was allow the opposition to funnel ten players back and deny our attackers opportunities through sheer numbers, on occasions they won possession and broke dangerously inside our half, I would have thought with the high line they were taking when we had the ball from the keeper it was far less dangerous to play over the back four quickly.

Personally reverting to the safety first tactics caused us pressure in the box and could have led to more than the one goal we conceded. We had eight corners against us, a clearance off the line and were pressured on numerous occasions. I think we got it wrong and it was frustrating to watch the slow go nowhere sideways and backwards passing between the centre backs, reminiscent of Puel's and Pellegrino's obsession.

When Valery gets into the final third he has to stop turning back and across the field and attack the last defender outside and try and get to the bye line.

Not sure the possession tactic was deliberate as it was Palace's plan to let us have the ball. They know we struggle in possession. Burnley won't pose nearly the same challenges as Palace; but they won't be pushovers. They'll happily concede possession and certainly won't gift the easy turnovers that our pressing has created and exploited in other games.

Not sure the possession tactic was deliberate as it was Palace's plan to let us have the ball. They know we struggle in possession. Burnley won't pose nearly the same challenges as Palace; but they won't be pushovers. They'll happily concede possession and certainly won't gift the easy turnovers that our pressing has created and exploited in other games.

I listened to Hasenhuttl on Solent on my way home and he was quite explicit. It was intentional to avoid giving Palace the ball with more direct passes and that not only does he need to educate the team but the supporters to understand what they are doing. I still think allowing opponents the comfort of getting ten behind the ball stops teams from scoring. Man City v Newcastle for example with far superior players.

I think we should have been compact at the back but quick to get at their back four which we didn't try and do. Dwelling on the ball just makes the game in front more congested. We just played into their hands. We were lucky to get away with a draw.

Has anyone acknowledged in this thread that PEH had a bad knock on his head that really didnt help him/probably should have gone straight off? Also McCarthy dealt with crosses really well vEverton but last night in the second half got consistently blocked off/fouled. Give the guys a little bit of slack please, rather than continually trying to find a scapegoat or write them off