Jan '19 Transfer Window Verdict

Dusic

I'm amazed to see Gabbi and Cedric leave without replacements, tbh. Alright, we're in a hugely better place performance wise since RH arrived, but we're still flirting with relegation and hoping that none of the improvement is a temporary dose of New Manager Bounce Syndrome, it's one thing not strengthening in January (it's a bit of a nightmare for any club and usually smacks of panic,) but to actually weaken the squad?? Can't get my head round that one. Quite bizarre.

King Les is dead long live king Les

It would seem the brave new Reed free new world looks a lot like the old Reed world …..

Happy to see some of the dead wood shipped out but can't believe we didn't strengthen the squad in our position. Lets hope Bertrand and Lemina get back to fitness and Valery, Targett and Ings stay fit.

Disappointed with the window. We desperately needed to strengthen up front and instead all we did was sell Gabbi. I’m not sure where this leaves us if... sorry, when Ings is injured and Valery is suspended.

I was confident we’d be well clear of the drop a couple of weeks ago but that was partly based on the assumption that we’d make a decent signing or two. Oh well, in Rabbit we trust.

Grow up, he has a mind of his own, just listen to the guy. Do you truly believe he came to Saints, having turned down Bayern Munich, to be lied to, and for all of his best players to be sold. He would be off in a jiffy. Time will tell who is right, but I suspect it won't be you.

Sensible words. It beggars belief that anyone can't see this. The cost of him buggering off and needing replacing will far outweigh the cost of Cedric for the rest of the season. The club would bend over backwards to keep Ralph, not bend him over as people seem to think.

Disappointed we weren’t able to sell Austin.

Reasonably Happy with other departures. Upfront we are fine.

have to trust Ralph that he’s happy with others to cover for Valery at right back.

Think focusing on summer is right move.

We'll see Targett or Bertrand play there once Bertrand is fit. Not orthodox, but we have the advantage of playing 5 of the back.

I still think we will stay up because there are three worse than us. But feels much dicier than it does now.

What I don't want to be reading here is any garbage about how unlucky we've been with injuries if we do get some.

Decisions have consequences, and in January we have decided to assume we won't get injuries.

Burnley win with Crouch scoring. Forum goes mental. Ralph gets more convinced he needs a club with more resources. We stay up on last day. Summer. Still no resources. Poch leaves Spurs. Ralph enticed there by Levy. We start the whole process again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could possibly understand the situation if Kat was still charge - wanting to see some return of her Dad's investment BUT Gao?! Is he an investor or just someone who's come in to bleed us dry??

Good question. On the other hand if we stay up with no investment its a master stroke in making money.

I still think we will stay up because there are three worse than us. But feels much dicier than it does now.

What I don't want to be reading here is any garbage about how unlucky we've been with injuries if we do get some.

Decisions have consequences, and in January we have decided to assume we won't get injuries.

But Lemina played right wing back for a few games a couple of years ago.

Agree entirely. How long before Ings breaks down or Valery is getting pumped by opposing players?

No we haven't we've decided that there is sufficient strength in depth to cover any injuries. That is the decision that should be questioned.

I think a strategy where we don't panic buy has to be a better way forward. We're only "short" at right back/right wing back and we've got umpteen players who could do in there.

Still we shouldn't let that stop a good old fashioned meltdown.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk

No we haven't we've decided that there is sufficient strength in depth to cover any injuries. That is the decision that should be questioned.

I think a strategy where we don't panic buy has to be a better way forward. We're only "short" at right back/right wing back and we've got umpteen players who could do in there.

Why does it need to be a panic buy? We’ve known that the January window was coming up so our team responsible have had plenty of time to target acquisitions in a calm and measured manner. That is their job. There should be no ‘panic’ about the process whatsoever.

Edited by Greenridge

Agree entirely. How long before Ings breaks down or Valery is getting pumped by opposing players?

Valery had never played right wing back before he made his debut. Ditto Ramsey. Ditto JWP until he kept the mighty Zaha in his pocket and then scored the winner. Its not a traditional position, and anyone playing there has to adapt to the role. You make it sound like asking a midfielder (who has played there) to play there is akin to trying to get Charlie Austin playing in goal or Redmond at CB.

You're the wettest of wet fannies mate, dry up ffs.

You'll have to point out to me where I am advocating any panic buying.

I can only assume that if we had announced the signing of a right back or striker last night, this morning you'd be dismissing them as a panic buy?

Edited by CB Fry

Valery had never played right wing back before he made his debut. Ditto Ramsey. Ditto JWP until he kept the mighty Zaha in his pocket and then scored the winner. Its not a traditional position, and anyone playing there has to adapt to the role. You make it sound like asking a midfielder (who has played there) to play there is akin to trying to get Charlie Austin playing in goal or Redmond at CB.

You're the wettest of wet fannies mate, dry up ffs.

I must've been at a different game if JWP scored the winner....

We cleared some deadwood and got some high earning non-performers off the payroll. That was the most important objective for us this window, so in that sense it has been a partial success. I say partial because I'm sure we would have preferred to secure permanent moves for Hoedt and Cedric. But it's January and nobody was willing to pay our asking price for them, so getting them out on loan was the next best thing. Not ideal, but that's the legacy of Les unfortunately - big-earners on long contracts that we can't shift when they are surplus to requirements.

We obviously tried to do some deals, but for whatever reason they didn't come off. Having been badly burnt in the last January window with Carillo, we clearly weren't prepared to chuck money away on yet another potentially expensive flop. None of the players we were linked with looked like an instant improvement over what we already have to me, so I'm actually glad we didn't overpay for risky signings once again. If we had gone out and spunked £15m on Che Adams and he turned out to be not up to it then people would still be moaning, so it's a case of dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Yes, I agree we look a little short of options in case of injuries. And the Palace game showed just how reliant we have become on Redmond's attacking threat and how much we miss it when that threat is nullified. But I don't think Ralph will be unhappy with what he has to work with between now and the summer, and I firmly believe we have enough about us to keep us above the dross at the bottom of the table.

I'm certainly disappointed, the whole right back situation worries me, though I suppose we are playing wing backs and the likes of JWP or Lemina could do a job here if needed.

The likes of Gabiadini, Hoedt, Davis were surplus to requirements and not involved or likely to be involved IMO. Gabiaddini was clearly behind Ings, Long and Austin in Ralfs plans so selling him is a good idea. Hoedt was nowhere near the team and seemed a bad egg and Davis had dropped behind JWP, Hojberg, Lemina, Romeu and Armstrong so again it made sense.

But the squad clearly needed some extra quality, so it's a shame we couldn't get it, however I am going to keep faith with the club and manager for the following reasons -

1. No one has really signed much in the transfer window full stop.

2. I agree with the club and Ralf that there was no point buying stop gaps, we need to build a squad long term and repair the damage done over the last 2-3 years with poor signings. Some rushed last minute signing is likely to have only had made this situation worse and left us with another player to offload at a loss in the summer. Carrillo says hello basically and Promes who everyone was clamouring for us to sign last January has 1 goal in La Liga this season and struggles to get into the Sevilla team, so that record transfer could have been potentially another poor one.

3. If we couldn't get clubs to make deals in January for our long term targets so be it. Go for them in the summer, hopefully with a good kitty from the sales of the likes of Cedric, Boufal, Carrillo, Clasie, Austin, Forster, etc.

4. We beat Leicester away, with 10 men, without the likes of Ings, Bertrand, Lemina, Hojberg so this squad is clearly capable of competing.

5. The club has a budget and is working to it, long term that is better than trying to get into debt spending millions for not much gain, look at West Ham and Everton, those two clubs have spent 100s of million over the last couple of seasons, have massive wage budgets, but without Hughe's terrible management I'd reckon we would probably be level if not above them.

6. Not really sure any of the clubs around us have strengthened. Fulham are still horrible defensively, Cardiff obviously had the tragedy, Huddersfiled got barely anyone, Burnley got a 38 year old FFS. Newcastle made a big signing, but it remains to be seen if he can adapt to Premier League, and Brighton didn't sign anyone and they could potentially get sucked in.

Basically it's a risk, but a calculated one I reckon. The only objective is to stay up and I think based on our performances we are going to do that, we are much better than the current bottom 3. Pick up a point at Burnley, beat Fulham and Cardiff we will be on 30 points and probably a good 7-8 points clear of relegation.

Rebuild in the summer, clear the dead wood, get in 3-5 new players that suit Ralfs style, are young, and Ralf can mould, and I think we can have a great year next year.

Well in a relegation battle and the squad has got weaker.

We're ****ed if Ings and Redmond get injured. It's a risk.

Well Ings will almost certainly miss games before the end of the season. If Redmond also gets injured / loses form then we're really struggling. Looking forward to seeing how the U23 reserves get on though. Fingers crossed...!!

it'll be put into context come the start of next season imho.

If we stay up and the Cedric, Hoedt loans become permanent transfers in the summer, and we also manage to sell Boufal, Clasie, Carrillo, Forster & Austin then we have set ourselves up to be extremely active in the Summer market when we can get better value for money.

The squad has been crying out for a cull of the mediocrity, so in that aspect i'm glad we're being ruthless.

We could potentially have 9 high earners (Gabbi, Cedric, Hoedt, Boufal, Clasie, Carrillo, Forster, Austin, Davies) off our books by then. All 9 would have been on at least 45k each a week which would be a saving at the very least of 405k a week, £21 million a year for players who have contributed very little over the last year.

There's also an arguement we could see the likes of McQueen, Gallagher, Elyounoussi, Reed and 1 CB leave too (Probably Stephens).

That would allow us to buy 4-6 starting players for a senior squad of around 20 complimented by the likes of Vallery, Obafemi, Ramsey, Slattery and Johnson

if next seasons squad looks like this, then this window would be a massive success

GK

McCarthy

Gunn

DF

Bertrand

Targett

3 of Vestergaard\Stephens\Maya\Bednarek

New CB

New RB

Vallery

Ramsey

MF\Wingers

Romeu

Lemina

Hoji

Ward Prowse

Armstrong

Redmond

Slattery

New Winger/midfielder

new Winger/midfielder

ST

Long

Ings

Obafemi

New ST

I would also like to see if Boufal can settle with this new manager. A few tweaks to his style and he could be just the creativity we need.

I'm not so sure, Boufal doesn't tackle, doesn't track back, doesn't press... although if he could be engaged, to the team ethos, then it's a win-win, but it might be just too late, although Puncheon managed to comeback from from being frozen out...

Time will tell.

Glad we've got rid of a few, and I don't rate Cedric so not unhappy he's gone, but what I don't understand is why we've left our self in a precarious position, of having to rely on two 18 year olds at right back, and one injury away from having zero threat going forward.

IT's a gamble thats for sure.

Got to ask, where on earth is all the money going? I don't get the nonsense of wages, compensation figures etc. I can't imagine it's equal to all revenues, and given the amount of money we've brought in over the last 5 years, you've got to ask the question. Basically Gao is proving our biggest concern, and that's that the bloke is actually skint and completely unwilling to invest into the club. So why buy it apart from the additional marketing and to get him into the area? Surely there are better ways to do that than buy a football club. And also you have to question Kat for selling to a bloke with no money, basically flogged us for as much as she could get with no care in the world going forward.

Concerning...

What like Hazard and Zaha 2 of the best in league did.. look I get your agenda against the academy you have had it for years but we have no choice we are skint suck it in and try and support rather than slag Valery.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure, Boufal doesn't tackle, doesn't track back, doesn't press... although if he could be engaged, to the team ethos, then it's a win-win, but it might be just too late, although Puncheon managed to comeback from from being frozen out...

Time will tell.

Boufal's problems have nothing to do with his work rate and everything to do with trying to beat his man too often or to take on too many players when there's a pass on. He's always been willing to try to recover possession and track back.

Time will tell.

This simply isn't true. There's a misconception that he's lazy, but it has no basis in fact. He's actually a very hard working player - he just didn't fit in with the defensive style of Pellegrino, and Hughes didn't like him so was happy to ship him out on loan.

I would love to see what he can do in a RH team.

it'll be put into context come the start of next season imho.

If we stay up and the Cedric, Hoedt loans become permanent transfers in the summer, and we also manage to sell Boufal, Clasie, Carrillo, Forster & Austin then we have set ourselves up to be extremely active in the Summer market when we can get better value for money.

I've read this from a couple of people, and in theory - assuming we stay up - it's fine. However it does tend to also assume these players we want rid of are moved June/July in time for us to bring players in. Knowing how our board operate though the likelihood is we won't shift them until the end of the summer window, possibly with some on loan again. If we need to clear players out to be active in the summer market chances are we'll see more Reed style dithering.

First appointment should be a CEO/Head of Recruitment/DoF, give it whatever title you want, for someone , or combination of those roles who can negotiate deal;s to bring players in.

Told you so! Nobody is surprised are they. Asset strippers are always asset strippers. Time to rid ourselves of these grasping, profiteering owners and their sycophantic servants but how?

Why don't you crowdfund a consortium and make a takeover approach?

Actually, no don't. Given your posting history, the thought of you in charge of the club sends shivers down my spine.

I’m disappointed we didn’t sign a RB and forward. I do wonder who made the decision not to sign anyone, RH being confident in the squad or the board due to not wanting to spend. Time will tell.

I think fans have every right to be disappointed. I get that we could only loan out Cedric and Hoedt, and we still have Forster and Austin draining the wage budget, but I would have at least liked Maehle to have arrived before Summer.

I can certainly understand a lot of people on here being very concerned that we have have taken a massive gamble with our premiership status by not getting a couple of players in.

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that RH very early on identified for one reason or another who he felt had bought into his philosophy and who clearly was not up to the task. We all knew we had an extremely bloated squad eating wages and needed to trim the fat. RH identified the fat and did the trimming....the only negative about that was we couldn't sell and had to loan....it's January!!

Had we sold a couple or even just Austin we probably would have taken a punt on buying a player with the funds....but that didn't happen.

The club are paying for 2 disastrous previous windows but RH has said nothing at all to indicate he was not already fully aware of our circumstances and what he might or might not be able to do this January.

I think it could be a close thing but I think RH will keep us up and rebuild in the summer.

We were told be the club we had to shift players out to bring fresh ones in. I think the assumption when we started shifting the out of favour players out, this window, was that it was to allow us to bring in a couple of good players to improve a relegation threatend squad.

Maybe people (including myself) shouldn't have made the assumption given the clubs recent history but I get why people are disappointed.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Personal opinion was if we got another right back in and got Bertrand fit we would be looking competitive down both flanks, now the options are a touch limited but not disastrous.

Also once Lemina is fully fit, he'd be another good option and healthy competition for the midfield. In summary, all is nearly good, think we'll stay up. It's gonna be fun in the summer watching Ralph's merry go round !!