Jan '19 Transfer Window Verdict

Dusic

We stimply had to get rid of people before we start looking like Chelsea, signing up every player we can and sending them out on loan, but not for the posotive reason of wanting to find gems but to off load turds.

Were these the players I would have chosen to get rid of? Probably not, but those we will have a hard time shifting. I am hoping with a smaller more cohesive squad Ralph will be able to mold them into a better unit, we have obviously shown improvement under him and not just some temporary new manager bump, but actual change.

So would I like some strengthening hell yes, but I think it is equally as important to remove bloat.

shame we could not shift unwanted players permanently. The current manager is hamstrung by his predecessors (and the scouting team) buying ****e. Sadly, unlike the big guys we can't simply `wipe our mouths, take a hit and move on'. We have to work our way out of this hole over a longer period of time. Far from ideal. I seem to recall saying before the window opened that I doubted we would sign anyone. Our wage bill is ****ing massif and the reason we don't have a huge surplus of cash to pay for transfers. We need to get that down, then we can increase the fees we pay.

In addition we are still liable for the transfer fee installments of Carillo, Hoedt, Boufal etc until we have paid what we contractually agreed to.

The fees don't go away just because the players do.

Dusic, this is not the place to be bringing up where money actually goes.

WHERE HAS ALL THE MONEY GONE, FFS! ;)

I'd disagree we've been panic buying at all. Carrillo seems the only signing that might fall into the category though I'd suggest that was more a misguided attempt to show support for a failing manager than anything else. If you believe the club all our player recruitment is careful tracked, researched and planned which in theory makes all the turkey's we've recruited even more baffling.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Maybe you're right but the last 2 signings in January were Carrillo and Austin neither of which fit our supposed strategy and both felt to me like panic buys. In a Austin's case at least he has done a job when fit...

Agree with you on some of the other turkeys.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X304F using Tapatalk

Out

Cedric - Woeful decision to get rid of a good player without backup. Now we're dangerously light at RB

Gabbi - Another one who we really might need in the relegation run in. He can score goals when most needed

Hoedt - Excellent to see him go

Davis - Fine, he needed to go

In

Oops

I didn't think we particularly needed anyone signed this summer, except when I saw the club shipped out Cedric and Gabbi , then it was clear they needed replacing. We failed to do that. So strange.

Exactly this. Except for "strange" which should be "****ing stupid."

To me it’s pretty clear - the board (rightly) saw that the people in charge made terrible decisions on contracts and signings. They got rid of a couple - but in order to run the club with continuity kept a couple (and to find out who was actually culpable). They are not going to waste good money after bad so I imagine they challenged the team to rectify mistakes (get rid of deadwood) and once done have another crack. They failed to do the first and either were not allowed (possible) or not capable (probable) to do the latter.

I’m hoping that we see a new DOF and scouting/contract team in place by the summer.

I think the question of being broke is hard to prove. GAO backed us (invested) in the transfer market in Jan/Summer and we’ve seen zero improvement (you could argue we’ve gone backwards) he’s going to need more confidence before doing so again (be honest - if you were him wouldn’t you be thinking the £40m wages/transfer on Carrillo and Moi would have been better spent paying off 20pc of his debt at whatever interest he’s paying ???)

Batshuayi is a quality signing for them but theres no guarantee they can sign him in the summer. He can go there, do well and go back to Chelsea or be bought by anyone in the summer. I am glad we decided not to go down that route

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk[/QUO

At 2pm yesterday I heard Batshuayi was available and I was hoping we might go in for him. By 2:30 I heard he was looking wages of 160k and Chelsea weren't chipping in. I don't know what rate Palace have agreed with him, but he is not worth that to us.

To me it’s pretty clear - the board (rightly) saw that the people in charge made terrible decisions on contracts and signings. They got rid of a couple - but in order to run the club with continuity kept a couple (and to find out who was actually culpable). They are not going to waste good money after bad so I imagine they challenged the team to rectify mistakes (get rid of deadwood) and once done have another crack. They failed to do the first and either were not allowed (possible) or not capable (probable) to do the latter.

I’m hoping that we see a new DOF and scouting/contract team in place by the summer.

I think the question of being broke is hard to prove. GAO backed us (invested) in the transfer market in Jan/Summer and we’ve seen zero improvement (you could argue we’ve gone backwards) he’s going to need more confidence before doing so again (be honest - if you were him wouldn’t you be thinking the £40m wages/transfer on Carrillo and Moi would have been better spent paying off 20pc of his debt at whatever interest he’s paying ???)

Totally how I see it too. Ross is only there because we had to have some continuity on the football side throughout this season, probably also influenced by the fact that our first choice DOF wasn't immediately available. He'll be gone in the summer.

I wasn't suggesting that for a minute - don't be so sensitive. I was disagreeing with your made up fact that we've decided to ignore injuries.

Panic buying is what we've been doing for the last couple of years and it hasn't worked well. I'm just glad to see we're been more prudent.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Who has been a panic buy in the last couple of years?

Caceres is the only player who comes close and we didn't buy him.

I do hope it's not a "made up fact".

Ings has been unavailable or carrying an injury limiting him to the bench for a third of our league games. If that trend continues for the remainder of the season, we can expect him to miss 4-5 games of the run in.

Maybe he'll stay fit; maybe he'll be injured but only for games against the top six where we don't expect much; or maybe he'll miss four games against our relegation rivals and we'll go into those matches hoping that Long, Obafemi and Austin (if he's fit too) will get us the goals we need.

Since the latter is no less likely an outcome than either of the other two scenarios, I'm not convinced the club have got their risk assessment correct here. From where we are right now, safety is likely to come with a margin of only a handful of points, and an attacking reinforcement would've made securing those points a much more reliable proposition.

And this is of course to entirely ignore the fact that we still don't look like we have a clue how to create goals except on the counter attack, even with Ings in the side.

Gao will view this window as a triumph. We’ve employed a very good manager, on let’s says a generous £4m a year, no transfer fee and his wages equal to Austin or Forster saving us having to spend anything on players. He’ll probably keep us up as well as managing to get shot of a lot of big earners saving a few quid in wages even if we do pick up some of the tab and he’s walked away with a profit in transfers not spending a penny. We’ll stay up and when we do we’ve already being set up for Hojbejerg to move on with comments in the media about how big clubs are interested in him. The money will roll in next summer too when he goes and hopefully Hoedt and a few other clowns. Nice little pot for Ralph to spend but not all of it because don’t forget we have to pay agents fees too. The Gabbiadini money will be forgotten about as our team built around our academy and a few spend less than what we earn signings build a team which can be sold off.

Gao will view this window as a triumph. We’ve employed a very good manager, on let’s says a generous £4m a year, no transfer fee and his wages equal to Austin or Forster saving us having to spend anything on players. He’ll probably keep us up as well as managing to get shot of a lot of big earners saving a few quid in wages even if we do pick up some of the tab and he’s walked away with a profit in transfers not spending a penny. We’ll stay up and when we do we’ve already being set up for Hojbejerg to move on with comments in the media about how big clubs are interested in him. The money will roll in next summer too when he goes and hopefully Hoedt and a few other clowns. Nice little pot for Ralph to spend but not all of it because don’t forget we have to pay agents fees too. The Gabbiadini money will be forgotten about as our team built around our academy and a few spend less than what we earn signings build a team which can be sold off.

Sounds like a plan.

I’m thinking it’s probably wise to put some of the cash aside for a dribblers forum before the season kicks off (a free pint and a handful of peanuts normally placate a dribbler). Also worth budgeting for is a darker red (crimson perhaps?) felt thingy to go around the pitch when the new one wears thin.

Plus we’ve probably got to account for the motivational bannering and block capital slogans around the stadium for the new season. That don’t come cheap.

We’re definitely not haemorrhaging money. Definitely.

Can’t wait till we use the Hojberg money.

Maybe we could push Bertrand out too.

Only option if we are to retain the net spend trophy

Will be five years after this year, surely? True champions. And they say we don’t win anything and when they do, we sn1gger at them.

Will be five years after this year, surely? True champions. And they say we don’t win anything and when they do, we sn1gger at them.

Hoj and Bertrand sales, along with Cedric and Hoedt will mean yet another year we don’t have to touch the TV money.

Del, I get that we should keep the 'Gabbiadini money' in a little jar or something and use every penny of it for a new signing, but where's the 'Ings money'?

Del, I get that we should keep the 'Gabbiadini money' in a little jar or something and use every penny of it for a new signing, but where's the 'Ings money'?

Good question. According to this we’re about £46m in profit from transfer fees since the start of 2013/14 season. Which is nothing really, A pathetic £50m more than the next club who’ve been in the premier league for a compareable amount of time.

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/southampton/english-football-teams/southampton-transfers

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

I know we are a bit different to all the other clubs in the world as we have agents fees, running costs and bonuses to pay which no one else has so that will make up a lot of the £46m id imagine. It’s almost like we haven’t been racking cash in from the biggest TV deal in history but we all know that we are a really well run club with top notch corporate governance.

I mean look at that right fisted cockney wan*er Mike Ashley at Newcastle. Regularly lamblasted by their fans and ex players for not spending money. He’s only spent £71m more than they’ve earnt from player sales on the same period as us. A pathetic £117m than they’ve brought in. Good job he doesn’t have to worry about agent fees!

So f*ck knows where we’ll find the ings money from, best hope we sell a few more £22 burgers.

Good question. According to this we’re about £46m in profit from transfer fees since the start of 2013/14 season. Which is nothing really, A pathetic £50m more than the next club who’ve been in the premier league for a compareable amount of time.

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/southampton/english-football-teams/southampton-transfers

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/premier-league-last-five-seasons/transfer-league-tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

I know we are a bit different to all the other clubs in the world as we have agents fees, running costs and bonuses to pay which no one else has so that will make up a lot of the £46m id imagine. It’s almost like we haven’t been racking cash in from the biggest TV deal in history but we all know that we are a really well run club with top notch corporate governance.

I mean look at that right fisted cockney wan*er Mike Ashley at Newcastle. Regularly lamblasted by their fans and ex players for not spending money. He’s only spent £71m more than they’ve earnt from player sales on the same period as us. A pathetic £117m than they’ve brought in. Good job he doesn’t have to worry about agent fees!

So f*ck knows where we’ll find the ings money from, best hope we sell a few more £22 burgers.

Del, you're not daft and acting it doesn't suit you. Many people think that the headline sales figures = cash for new purchases. You know better than that.

Assuming those figures are correct, we're 'in profit' £24.5m over the last 3 seasons. Those agents really do have to be paid, then there's those signing on fees and loyalty bonuses, and the irritating sell on fees. There's your 'profit' gone.

As for the TV money, we can't pop that in another jar next to the 'Gabbiadini money'. Those players want their wages, every week the cheeky beggars. There's the first team squad, but the u23's and all the other pros too. We pay some kids an obscene amount.

In those 3 years we've paid off management, paid them and their staff too. Then there's the infrastructure and other running costs. Those costs are huge and leave nothing.

The bottom line is your 'Gabbiadini money', when it arrives, will be earmarked for Ings and will not be forgotten about as you imply.

Del, you're not daft and acting it doesn't suit you. Many people think that the headline sales figures = cash for new purchases. You know better than that.

Assuming those figures are correct, we're 'in profit' £24.5m over the last 3 seasons. Those agents really do have to be paid, then there's those signing on fees and loyalty bonuses, and the irritating sell on fees. There's your 'profit' gone.

As for the TV money, we can't pop that in another jar next to the 'Gabbiadini money'. Those players want their wages, every week the cheeky beggars. There's the first team squad, but the u23's and all the other pros too. We pay some kids an obscene amount.

In those 3 years we've paid off management, paid them and their staff too. Then there's the infrastructure and other running costs. Those costs are huge and leave nothing.

The bottom line is your 'Gabbiadini money', when it arrives, will be earmarked for Ings and will not be forgotten about as you imply.

Good God there is so much BS about our finances on here! Suddenly everyone is an accountant. Gao can run the club as he wants as it's his (most of it anyway) but for the love of god, stop this BS about how broke we are. When you sell to a private investor, it's entirely up to him what he does with his investment. F'all we can do about it as fans - sure he has to meet some FA and financial requirements but nothing on player investment etc. SFC are not broke. Gao is not broke. Owner decides (rightly) where the money goes.

Only thing that has been said so far is all player sales will be reinvested in new players, wages and agent fees etc. Fair enough - what has not been said (and as a private investor, no obligation to do so) is how the rest of the income will be treated (TV money,match day income, sponsorship, other commercial income - which was the the main reason Ralph 1 was brought on board). BTW, for the obvious wages counter - official figures are our wages are around 60% of turnover.

I do not by any means believe additional revenues are being siphoned off by our new owner, but it does beg the question why are we so poorly run financially? Before we get the usual BS about long contracts, agents fees, paying for loaned players, staged payments, etc. etc. that is naive - we had already factored that in, we have same arrangements with other clubs/transfers, and all clubs have the same issue. So obvious question (if all above is true) is do we have a crap financial controller and if so is that the first change we need (no transfer deadline here!).

In any case something does not stack up - maybe it's time to turn the heat on our CFO?

Who has been a panic buy in the last couple of years?

Caceres is the only player who comes close and we didn't buy him.

I do hope it's not a "made up fact".

I've already said I believe that Carrillo and Austin were panic buys.

What do I base this on? That neither of them fit our transfer strategy of buying players with potential with a view to developing them and selling later for a profit.

Carrillo was a desperate attempt to help a failing manager.

Austin was a last minute replacement for pelle.

What I'm not sure about is why you seem to always have an anti club agenda?

What do I base this on? That neither of them fit our transfer strategy of buying players with potential with a view to developing them and selling later for a profit.

how was Austin a panic buy in any way?

Carillo was well known by the manager at the time so clearly had been tracked and assessed. Not a great signing but disagree he was a panic.

Austin, no idea what you are on about.

If signing a player six months before the player he replaces even leaves now counts as a "last minute replacement" then I really can't help you. How early so we need to sign replacements to front line players according to you?

Plus, Austin would have been about 25 when we signed him, about the same age as Pelle was when we signed him. And Pelle was a striker very familiar to the incumbent manager, just like Carillo was.

So does Graziano Pelle fit your definition of a panic buy or one that fitted our strategy?

Also we signed Charlie Austin on 16th January 2016. Oh what a last minute panic panic panic.
I was wrong about ages. Austin was 26 win we signed him.

But Pelle was about to turn 29 when we signed him.

Edited by CB Fry

Panic buying is what we've been doing for the last couple of years and it hasn't worked well. I'm just glad to see we're been more prudent.

Just to recap, the "panic buying in the last few years" amounts to Koeman signing Austin in the middle of January 2016 to beef up one of the best attacking line ups we've ever had, and Carrillo.

Clear.

Les Reed legacy Ladies n Gents.....

giphy.gif

We joke about Lovely old Les but since he got that job at the FA it is noticeable that Southgate has rocked up at a Saints match or two. Co-incidence or what? Maybe he's still pushing 'his' super Academy at Staplewood line even know. Friends in high places are always worth having. Maybe he'll be more use to us there than here?

After uniting fans with the Reed sacking and RH appointment and then the feel good of recent results and performances the club have missed a good opportunity to continue the positive momentum this transfer window.

We might and probably will stutter over the line, but it feels like an unnecessary gamble and has definitely divided opinions and the fans again.

#WeMarchOn #deadwood

Eddie Howe talking about the window on Solent. Howe felt they need to strengthen due to some injuries in the squad. The board where very supportive even though Bournemouth had envisaged a very quiet window... Lol at Bournemouth getting in panic signings in Jan

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Just to recap, the "panic buying in the last few years" amounts to Koeman signing Austin in the middle of January 2016 to beef up one of the best attacking line ups we've ever had, and Carrillo.

Clear.

I'm sorry this doesnt make any sense for you. How exactly did Austin or Carrillo fit a strategic aim?

I'm still waiting for some answers from you but I can only assume you agree that you were talking utter twaddle.

I'm sorry this doesnt make any sense for you. How exactly did Austin or Carrillo fit a strategic aim?

I'm still waiting for some answers from you but I can only assume you agree that you were talking utter twaddle.

You grizzled about "panic buying over the last few years" but, when pushed, could name two players, one of which was a striker bought in mid January with weeks to spare while we were actually very well stocked up front. Three seasons nd four managers ago.

And then Carillo. Even if we say fair enough he was a panic buy (I dont agree: we clearly needed a striker, he was signed well before the window shut, plus he would have well monitored and tracked and very familiar to the manager) that's one. One. Hardly a freaking epidemic is it?

What about 29 year old Pelle? Was he a panic buy? Yes or no?

Lastly, you seem to be destroying your own argument.

Our problem has not been panic buys. We don't do them. We haven't been doing them "over the last few years". We've been doing the complete opposite.

We are either constantly failing to buy anyone - a CB in Jan 17, Theo/Promes in Jan 18, a RB in Jan 19 - or slavishly sticking to an apparent formula leaving us with unproven mediocrity we hope will rapidly improve once with us, then they don't.

The actual opposite of panic buying.

We get plenty wrong in the transfer market but to try and hang the club for panic buying is utterly laughable. If we are guilty of anything, it's cautious over-thinking.

Edited by CB Fry

You grizzled about "panic buying over the last few years" but, when pushed, could name two players, one of which was a striker bought in mid January with weeks to spare while we were actually very well stocked up front. Three seasons nd four managers ago.

And then Carillo. Even if we say fair enough he was a panic buy (I dont agree: we clearly needed a striker, he was signed well before the window shut, plus he would have well monitored and tracked and very familiar to the manager) that's one. One. Hardly a freaking epidemic is it?

What about 29 year old Pelle? Was he a panic buy? Yes or no?

Lastly, you seem to be destroying your own argument.

Our problem has not been panic buys. We don't do them. We haven't been doing them "over the last few years". We've been doing the complete opposite.

We are either constantly failing to buy anyone - a CB in Jan 17, Theo/Promes in Jan 18, a RB in Jan 19 - or slavishly sticking to an apparent formula leaving us with unproven mediocrity we hope will rapidly improve once with us, then they don't.

The actual opposite of panic buying.

We get plenty wrong in the transfer market but to try and hang the club for panic buying is utterly laughable. If we are guilty of anything, it's cautious over-thinking.

So is buying players outside our strategy panic buying or not? Panic buying isn't about numbers but about giving up on strategy for supposed sort term gain. Please define what you believe panic buying to be?

Anyway, perhaps you would like to answer my questions? You seem incapable of it...

So is buying players outside our strategy panic buying or not? Panic buying isn't about numbers but about giving up on strategy for supposed sort term gain. Please define what you believe panic buying to be?

Anyway, perhaps you would like to answer my questions? You seem incapable of it...

You haven't answered my question about Pelle. Panic buy yes or no?

Why are you going on and on about panic buying when by your own admission we don't really do it.

To recap, by your own definition:

Winter window 2019 - zero

Summer window 2018 - zero

Winter window 2018 - one

Summer window 2017 - zero

Winter window 2017 - zero

Summer window 2016 - zero

Winter window 2016 - hilariously, one

Summer window 2015 - zero

Winter window 2015 - zero

Winter window 2014 - zero

Summer window 2013 - zero

Winter window 2013 - zero

Summer window 2012 - zero

2 panic buys (not that either of them are) in 14 windows and you're still blathering on about it.

Lastly you need to look up the word "panic" in the dictionary. Any person or business can decide to deviate from their normal behaviour in a perfectly considered way ("tell you what, let's got to Disneyland next summer", "I've done the numbers and I think we should invest more in magazine advertising for this campaign", "Charlie Austin is available for £4m, we can afford it, he wants to come and oh look and it is January 13th") without it needing to be a "panic".

Seriously, learn what words actually mean.

Edited by CB Fry

You haven't answered my question about Pelle. Panic buy yes or no?

Why are you going on and on about panic buying when by your own admission we don't really do it.

To recap, by your own definition:

Winter window 2019 - zero

Summer window 2018 - zero

Winter window 2018 - one

Summer window 2017 - zero

Winter window 2017 - zero

Summer window 2016 - zero

Winter window 2016 - hilariously, one

Winter window 2015 - zero

Winter window 2014 - zero

Summer window 2013 - zero

Winter window 2013 - zero

Summer window 2012 - zero

2 panic buys (not that either of them are) in 14 windows and you're still blathering on about it.

And to think this all started with you making something up! I was only talking about January (which is what this is about) and where exactly did I say we had been doing this for years???

I don't think pelle was a panic buy but please don't let your lack of understanding get in the way of you continuing to not answer my questions.

Why do you have an agenda against the club?

Why do you make things up?

And to think this all started with you making something up! I was only talking about January (which is what this is about) and where exactly did I say we had been doing this for years???

I don't think pelle was a panic buy but please don't let your lack of understanding get in the way of you continuing to not answer my questions.

Why do you have an agenda against the club?

Why do you make things up?

"Panic buying is what we've been doing in the last couple of years" is what you said.

But you can only name one player from the last "couple of years", Carillo.

So haven't been doing it have we. We've signed one player you don't like and tried to extrapolate a trend from it.

One player does not a trend make.

You then throw in Austin so going beyond your "couple of years" but on every measure, from every angle, Austin was not a panic buy. Obviously, patently not.

If Pelle wasn't a panic buy by your definition, how on earth can Carillo or Austin be one? Carillo was far younger than Pelle for a start. Austin was also younger than Pelle. You're all over the place. Or, put simply, you're making stuff up.

It's fu cking hilarious you think I have an "agenda against the club" when half the forum think I'm an grovelling apologist for Krueger and the club management for many years.

So as well as having zero understanding of basic English words and phrases, you don't pay much attention do you?

Edited by CB Fry

"Panic buying is what we've been doing in the last couple of years" is what you said.

But you can only name one player from the last "couple of years", Carillo.

So haven't been doing it have we. We've signed one player you don't like and tried to extrapolate a trend from it.

One player does not a trend make.

You then throw in Austin so going beyond your "couple of years" but on every measure, from every angle, Austin was not a panic buy. Obviously, patently not.

If Pelle wasn't a panic buy by your definition, how on earth can Carillo or Austin be one? Carillo was far younger than Pelle for a start. Austin was also younger than Pelle. You're all over the place. Or, put simply, you're making stuff up.

It's fu cking hilarious you think I have an "agenda against the club" when half the forum think I'm an grovelling apologist for Krueger and the club management for many years.

So as well as having zero understanding of basic English words and phrases, you don't pay much attention do you?

Jesus, give it a rest FFS.