Jan '19 Transfer Window Verdict

Dusic

A weird one. Nice to be ruthless regarding the outgoings. The only arguable one there is Cedric - as we are left with raw options and little cover. Otherwise - good work.

Shame we couldn't shift Austin.

Incomings...odd. i just don't trust Ross Wilson to get deals done. Throughout the window RH has said he expected us to be active and a couple of weeks ago said we would definitely get one player. Wonder what went wrong? Wonder if it has ****ed off our best Manager in ages?

Also wonder what will happen to the £200k + a week that we have saved in wages - will this be reinvested next season? Or will it disappear?

Overall - we are unquestionably weaker than in December squad wise, but our team is playing well and hopefully have enough to get to the summer and have a major rebuild.

Our best signing has been Hassehutl, without whom we would be ****ed.

Pathetic to be honest but entirely predictable. I don't trust that Ralph was really happy with no signings, particularly because a couple of weeks ago he said we would definitely get at least one in. I'm concerned for our future with this shady owner in charge who makes zero investment.

My view is that well- the squad is certainly weaker- there are drfinitely less options off the bench now.

It also means a reduction in wages for the time being with regards to some of the loan deals we made.

I think Cedric is the key one for many of us though, we’ve lost a fairly decent full back for that depth- he was certainly the one I wouldn’t call deadwood unlike other outgoings and it isn’t even like we sold him.

However I am disappointed we could not find anyone on loan, which I was expecting given the loans we have out ourselves. It really does place an emphasis on the summer dealings now, and I think that is the risk we have taken as a club- that what we have now is good enough to survive- and there is no denying that surviving is our target and the bare minimum.

So yeah, mixed bag, but I’m going to say underwhelming transfer window as an overall verdict.

Wonder if it has ****ed off our best Manager in ages?

Nah, I'm sure he was told when he was interviewed for the job that the plan for a club in a desperate relegation battle with just one win all season was to weaken the squad by loaning out four internationals and make up the numbers by delving into the u23s who got relegated last season.

I'm sure when he turned down Bayern Munich in the summer he couldn't believe his luck that such an ambitious project would fall into his lap.

He wasn't afraid to walk away from Leipzig, he won't be afraid to walk away from us.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Gao can now fly back to China, happy in the knowledge that the club has had another profitable transfer window. He'd probably have liked more players to be sold but has been told the big sales of players like Hojbjerg will have to wait until the summer or we'll be relegated and that could lose him a lot of money in the long-term.

It was certainly a weird one but it might just be that RH wanted only certain players but they were not available.

Hoping those that are out on loan do well so we can cash in and back our great manager in the summer.

2/10 for me and IMHO it was worse than the January 2018 as we’ve sold some squad players that might bite us on the bum.

Crud. I was hoping we could keep the trophy by now.

We pushed them all the way but with the late collapse of the Austin deal, we just fell a little short this time. We missed Les experience and steady hand (and trigger finger); but am sure Wee Ross will get the hang of things.

Edited by shurlock

Standard. Didn’t expect anything else.

A lot of talk about the summer and how that’ll be the time there will be a major shake up. But the likes of Hoedt, Forster, Carrillo, Austin, Cedric etc will all still be on high wages and will still be just as difficult to shift in the summer as they are now. I think they’ll just end up being loaned out again.

If we’re really in a place where we have to sell to boost the transfer budget, because the owner won’t invest, then the summer could be just as underwhelming. Especially when £20m of whatever budget we have is already been committed to Ings.

Best signing was made when RH walked through the door.

3 seasons of ****e from Puel Pellegrino Hughes and Reed was the reason for no signings.

The smoke is slowly clearing and we are finally a club on the up. We may not have the best squad outside of the top 6, but we have players who care, players who are now much fitter and players who play for their manager.

Unbeaten in 2019 and now go into games knowing we can get something. Let's get safe and rebuild in the summer.

COYR&WM

Wise words.

3 seasons of ****e from Puel Pellegrino Hughes and Reed was the reason for no signings.

The smoke is slowly clearing and we are finally a club on the up. We may not have the best squad outside of the top 6, but we have players who care, players who are now much fitter and players who play for their manager.

Unbeaten in 2019 and now go into games knowing we can get something. Let's get safe and rebuild in the summer.

COYR&WM

Wrong forum?

If RH is happy, then I am happy. We bang on about clubs who spend beyond their means (Pompey), yet many of the bed wetters on here, want us to do just that. I'm all for giving some of the youngsters a chance, something that has been missing for a while now. We have 22/23 year old 'youngsters' who have never been given a chance, and get slagged off on here as being no good! who's to say how they might of developed. Young Valery will be a very good player, he is now, buying an 'older' RB will only stunt his development. I have waited a couple of years to see this young man, and Slattery, both who have had very good things said about them by the coaching staff, now we should get behind our youngsters, and cease casting envious glances at other clubs youngsters, who are all at the same stage of development (Adams).

In Ralph we trust, and we haven't said that for a while.

Edited by Gingeletiss

COYR&WM

:thumbup:

Well, we didn't buy anyone. Rubbish.

I see what you did there.

No Carrillo white elephants at least incoming to further clog the wage bill. All of things Les did, he might as well have done a KLF and burnt £20m on an island somewhere. Hoedt is no loss although a red card start suggests he may not be easy shifting longer term. Davis went with best wishes and suited everyone. Fraser was another one of the senile one’s master strokes and still here however.

On the other hand, unless Cedric was so toxic Ralph really wanted him off the premises, not at least an RB on loan on lower than Cedric’s alleged 60k a week was abject stupidity. Still, little Ross has had plenty of term to learn from Les and stupid does as stupid says.

No reason to keep Ross, get the scouting team ripped apart, new blood and ready for whatever division the club are in.

Even better luck would be Gao selling up now someone has given him a large share of Lander’s shares and take money grabbing Kat with him.

If RH is happy, then I am happy. We bang on about clubs who spend beyond their means (Pompey), yet many of the bed wetters on here, want us to do just that. I'm all for giving some of the youngsters a chance, something that has been missing for a while now. We have 22/23 year old 'youngsters' who have never been given a chance, and get slagged off on here as being no good! who's to say how they might of developed. Young Valery will be a very good player, he is now, buying an 'older' RB will only stunt his development. I have waited a couple of years to see this young man, and Slattery, both who have have very good things said about them by the coaching staff, now we should get behind our youngsters, and cease casting envious glances at other clubs youngsters, who are all at the same stage of development (Adams).

1. Keeping Cedric and Gabbi as backups until the summer is not "spending beyond our means." (Or if it is, we're truly ****ed.)

2. We're not comfortably mid-table to allow us to gamble on youth and injury-prone players (or in some cases, players who are both).

1. Keeping Cedric and Gabbi as backups until the summer is not "spending beyond our means." (Or if it is, we're truly ****ed.)

2. We're not comfortably mid-table to allow us to gamble on youth and injury-prone players (or in some cases, players who are both).

As long as Ralph is encouraged by the club PR team to say he is happy with the squad despite saying we would definitely get a signing in, then that's good enough for me.

Totally agree. Trust the manager but if keeps them up he has done an amazing job and the disappearing wages black hole needs a serious assault in May. Huge risk and they will have to rely on Cardiff and Fulham not going on a run of results. I think we will do enough but it may be tight, tighter than it should have been.

That assault on waste includes a purge on the hangers on around the board and the useless scouting team. Gao and KL need to sell up as well.

COYR&WM

Good rallying cry.

Just hope we do manage to get to safety, and Ralph is given the means and support in the summer.

Massive, massive gamble by the board.....still in a relegation battle yet have weakened our defence & attacking options. Please can someone explain the Cedric situation? Why loan with no obligation to buy for 6 months with NO replacement in sight?? We are a couple of injuries away from being in the right sh*t!

Was Ralph sold this scenario when he took the job? hmmmm!

Massive, massive gamble by the board.....still in a relegation battle yet have weakened our defence & attacking options. Please can someone explain the Cedric situation? Why loan with no obligation to buy for 6 months with NO replacement in sight?? We are a couple of injuries away from being in the right sh*t!

I reckon they just buggered it up. Simple as that.

When you think about it the Club has fecked around with the RB spot for years - after Chambers was sold and Clyne was injured, players like Yoshida, Stephens, JWP were played there as fill ins. Never very successfully. When you add the thin quality of CBs and strikers in recent times it's obvious the Club have gambled on its Prem Status for some time.

On one hand i'm glad we didn't panic buy failures. On the other hand it's a shame we can't organize our business ahead of time.

Gao and Kat are set on milking us dry and are playing such a dangerous game flirting with relegation each year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Difficult situation...needed to thin the squad to improve the dynamic, but 3-4 years of squad quality dilution has left us in a highly risky position now with no one coming in to improve the situation. All our eggs are in the Ralph basket...let’s hope it’s enough to see us through to the summer.

6 weeks ago you hated Ploddy. Now he is Jesus returned from the black cave bit. He is still shiiite, he is just finally doing what he should have done these last 6 bastard years.

Tell him to mark somebody when Saints are defending, he never does.

Out

Cedric - Woeful decision to get rid of a good player without backup. Now we're dangerously light at RB

Gabbi - Another one who we really might need in the relegation run in. He can score goals when most needed

Hoedt - Excellent to see him go

Davis - Fine, he needed to go

In

Oops

I didn't think we particularly needed anyone signed this summer, except when I saw the club shipped out Cedric and Gabbi , then it was clear they needed replacing. We failed to do that. So strange.

Terrible window yet again.

Every club around us has strengthened.

We obviously tried to get a player or two in, so I don’t buy it that nothing happened because Ralph said so.

The Cedric situation is another in the long list of just bizarre transfers this club has been involved in over the last couple of years.

All well and good going on about the summer, but will mean a massive exchange in players. Not only will we still need to clear the ‘deadwood’ but players like Bertrand and Hoj could be off. That will require a large influx of starting 11 standard players. How has that gone in the last 18-24 months?

If we stay up of course, which is a debatable.

If RH is happy, then I am happy. We bang on about clubs who spend beyond their means (Pompey), yet many of the bed wetters on here, want us to do just that. I'm all for giving some of the youngsters a chance, something that has been missing for a while now. We have 22/23 year old 'youngsters' who have never been given a chance, and get slagged off on here as being no good! who's to say how they might of developed. Young Valery will be a very good player, he is now, buying an 'older' RB will only stunt his development. I have waited a couple of years to see this young man, and Slattery, both who have had very good things said about them by the coaching staff, now we should get behind our youngsters, and cease casting envious glances at other clubs youngsters, who are all at the same stage of development (Adams).

what makes you think ralph isn't just towing the line ? do u really think he's gonna come out and speak out against his employers saying what a mess our squad is and how we absolutely hundred percent needed replacements?

he is basically the coach he isn't in charge of the finances, if he's told there is no money for signings then he will most likely speak to the media in the way that that is the plan!

Out

Cedric - Woeful decision to get rid of a good player without backup. Now we're dangerously light at RB

Gabbi - Another one who we really might need in the relegation run in. He can score goals when most needed

Hoedt - Excellent to see him go

Davis - Fine, he needed to go

In

Oops

I didn't think we particularly needed anyone signed this summer, except when I saw the club shipped out Cedric and Gabbi , then it was clear they needed replacing. We failed to do that. So strange.

Really! he has averaged 5-7 a season his whole career, not prolific by any means.

what makes you think ralph isn't just towing the line ? do u really think he's gonna come out and speak out against his employers saying what a mess our squad is and how we absolutely hundred percent needed replacements?

he is basically the coach he isn't in charge of the finances, if he's told there is no money for signings then he will most likely speak to the media in the way that that is the plan!

Grow up, he has a mind of his own, just listen to the guy. Do you truly believe he came to Saints, having turned down Bayern Munich, to be lied to, and for all of his best players to be sold. He would be off in a jiffy. Time will tell who is right, but I suspect it won't be you.