Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

There are a very surprising number of members on here who profess to be experts on mental illness .....

I would seriously doubt that all of them are actually that knowledgeable on the subject and would also know FF well enough to judge either way.

It was mentioned that Saints and FF had sorted a deal last season where he was rehabilitated on reduced wages , no idea if true but explains why he is still here .

Seems unlikely.

It was mentioned that Saints and FF had sorted a deal last season where he was rehabilitated on reduced wages , no idea if true but explains why he is still here .

Would be amazed if we were allowed to do that. Effectively discriminates against him for having a mental illness.

Would be amazed if we were allowed to do that. Effectively discriminates against him for having a mental illness.

When I was unable to do my job due to a serious injury, I got a 3 months on full pay, then 3 months on half pay, then SSP.

I don't know if footballers have contracts that reflect changes in their ability to play due to long term illness or injuries that aren't work related.

There are a very surprising number of members on here who profess to be experts on mental illness .....

I would seriously doubt that all of them are actually that knowledgeable on the subject and would also know FF well enough to judge either way.

I think you’d be surprised as to the number of people who have been affected personally or had issues with close friends and family. I confess to not being an expert but I’m pretty sure bullying and harassment aren’t a cure for anything.

When I was unable to do my job due to a serious injury, I got a 3 months on full pay, then 3 months on half pay, then SSP.

I don't know if footballers have contracts that reflect changes in their ability to play due to long term illness or injuries that aren't work related.

They may well be covered by an employers insurance policy for crtical illness.

Mason Mount is a die hard Pompey fan and has already said that he would never ever play for us.

Oh ok. It did cross my mind seeing as it was a family and Havant link. Posted in good faith though as thought it might be interesting.

Mason Mount is a die hard Pompey fan and has already said that he would never ever play for us.
I thought he came to do a trial with us?? Die hardmay be a bit of a stretch. If JWP plays for us , Bobby Stokes as well Im sure a Chelsea reserve would if he was paid well. They are all mercenaries. I would have played for Pompey if they had wanted me to.

Our Ops Director, a Hull fan, mentioned we are still favourites to sign Jarrod Bowen. I suggested that with Adams, Ings, Djenepo and Redmond, we wouldn't have space.

However, link from the Hull paper over the weekend is posted for you to assess.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/southampton-odds-jarrod-bowen-signing-3065082

Our Ops Director, a Hull fan, mentioned we are still favourites to sign Jarrod Bowen. I suggested that with Adams, Ings, Djenepo and Redmond, we wouldn't have space.

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/southampton-odds-jarrod-bowen-signing-3065082

Call me super negative but I think djenepo may be more a one for the future who comes on as a sub. He has been dropped to the bench in a pretty low quality Mali side. I don't think he's a bad signing but I don't see him starting straight away. I think a front 4222 with bowen redmond ings and Adams could be very exciting, with JWP Armstrong and djenepo competing for places.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Call me super negative but I think djenepo may be more a one for the future who comes on as a sub. He has been dropped to the bench in a pretty low quality Mali side. I don't think he's a bad signing but I don't see him starting straight away. I think a front 4222 with bowen redmond ings and Adams could be very exciting, with JWP Armstrong and djenepo competing for places.

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

He has started for them today in their last 16 game against Ivory Coast

Whoever we sign as a CB has to be someone who is in our starting XI (in a back 4) otherwise its a pointless signing.

I don't see the likes of Konsa or Webster being immediately better than Yoshida or Vestergaard.

I agree totally with the U24 policy re signings but also feel this position could be one that it doesnt apply to, unless there is an exceptional young CB, ready to play every week in the PL who is less than £20m and happy to sign for Saints. Should be easy...

Came on here to see if there's been any transfer news and all I see is some absolute bin bag waffling on about what it's like to work in France.

Are the mods on holiday!?

No, we just have lives/jobs.

Anyway, let's keep it on topic everyone.

Stop fking about and get Cahill

Hasenhuttl has repeatedly said about signing young players under 24 on their first or second contract. Stop panicking and screaming for players that won't happen. We will get a CB.

Interestingly, he'll be coached by another former Saint in Maik Taylor, according to the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48909527

From memory, wasn’t Rose recommended to the club by Le Tiss & Benali, as he was the first player they signed for their management firm? If so, it’s likely they’ve also been influential in recommending Jack to their old pal Maik.

Whoever we sign as a CB has to be someone who is in our starting XI (in a back 4) otherwise its a pointless signing.

I don't see the likes of Konsa or Webster being immediately better than Yoshida or Vestergaard.

I agree totally with the U24 policy re signings but also feel this position could be one that it doesnt apply to, unless there is an exceptional young CB, ready to play every week in the PL who is less than £20m and happy to sign for Saints. Should be easy...

I tend to agree with this. CB is a critical position if we are to believe that Ralph wants to play a back four. As things stand, it's Bednarek plus one.

I'd say Yoshida is in pole position as plus one, but although he's hard-working and a great servant to the club he isn't getting any younger. I've always thought that, given a good run, he's pretty reliable, but not a rock.

Vestergaard is the only other likely plus one, but he needs to improve. He isn't that quick, either in movement or reaction and, although he wins aerial duals (and at 8' 3"' or whatever, he should) I don't think the quality of his heading is good: he often fails to get distance or puts a free header into a dangerous area. So I'd be nervous with him in a back four, unless he makes great strides.

Unless something dramatic happens, it won't be Stephens or Hoedt. I don't think Stephens us as bad as some make out and could improve, but Hoedt needs serious improvement in most areas and an attitude transplant.

But, with today's prices, getting a new Toby, VVD or even Fonte, particularly youngish, will be beyond our budget. And I agree that with too many CBs on the books already it's pointless buying yet another unless they will be first choice. And that could well be impossible as I think, although we might shift Stephens, Hoedt will remain a millstone round our budget.

Frustrating, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have to stick with a back three, which automatically takes away a starting place for an attacking player.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I tend to agree with this. CB is a critical position if we are to believe that Ralph wants to play a back four. As things stand, it's Bednarek plus one.

I'd say Yoshida is in pole position as plus one, but although he's hard-working and a great servant to the club he isn't getting any younger. I've always thought that, given a good run, he's pretty reliable, but not a rock.

Vestergaard is the only other likely plus one, but he needs to improve. He isn't that quick, either in movement or reaction and, although he wins aerial duals (and at 8' 3"' or whatever, he should) I don't think the quality of his heading is good: he often fails to get distance or puts a free header into a dangerous area. So I'd be nervous with him in a back four, unless he makes great strides.

Unless something dramatic happens, it won't be Stephens or Hoedt. I don't think Stephens us as bad as some make out and could improve, but Hoedt needs serious improvement in most areas and an attitude transplant.

But, with today's prices, getting a new Toby, VVD or even Fonte, particularly youngish, will be beyond our budget. And I agree that with too many CBs on the books already it's pointless buying yet another unless they will be first choice. And that could well be impossible as I think, although we might shift Stephens, Hoedt will remain a millstone round our budget.

Frustrating, but I wouldn't be surprised if we have to stick with a back three, which automatically takes away a starting place for an attacking player.

How about we just get the current Toby, available for £25M. Admittedly his wage expectation these days may burst the bubble.

Pretty much agree with all of this.

I would also like to add that just about every time Ralph tried his 4-2-2-2 last season it absolutely flopped; with him swiftly reverting back to a 3-4-2-1.

Looking at the squad that has gone to Austria it would seem, at the moment at least, that Ralph is planning on sticking with the 3 at the back (why else take 6 CBs and only 4 CMs?).

Pretty much agree with all of this.

I would also like to add that just about every time Ralph tried his 4-2-2-2 last season it absolutely flopped; with him swiftly reverting back to a 3-4-2-1.

Looking at the squad that has gone to Austria it would seem, at the moment at least, that Ralph is planning on sticking with the 3 at the back (why else take 6 CBs and only 4 CMs?).

We probably currently suit 3 at the back still. Would take an incredible DC signing to allow us to play with 4 at the back.

I can't remember who posted it, but our stats are SO much better when Vestergaard plays.

Midfield will look pretty light when/if Lemina goes.

We probably currently suit 3 at the back still. Would take an incredible DC signing to allow us to play with 4 at the back.

I can't remember who posted it, but our stats are SO much better when Vestergaard plays.

Midfield will look pretty light when/if Lemina goes.

Statistically, Vestergaard was our best defender last year. His only real problem is pace. However, because he's pretty slow and we'll sometimes be looking to push up I'm not sure he'll ever suit playing in a back 4.

Bednarek was our second best defender, but I don't think he'd be much better than Vestergaard for that role. as he's not all that mobile and isn't great with the ball at his feet.

Yoshida is probably the only player capable of playing in a back 4 when holding a high line. He's pretty quick, not as bad in the air as he used to be and can control and pass a football.

Stephens is not good enough at defending, and Hoedt is Hoedt.

Id say that CB is the one position where age is less of an issue. Pace isn't paramount, but reading the game and experience can make up for that. Terry was still decent last season for example.

I don't really think CB's are at their peak til late twenty's. So whilst I like the policy of young and hungry players in attacking roles, I'd be ok if we bent that rule for a centre back.

I also believe there must be bargains around. Some of our best ever players have been relatively low cost centre backs - Fonte, Svensson, even back to Richards.

Id say that CB is the one position where age is less of an issue. Pace isn't paramount, but reading the game and experience can make up for that. Terry was still decent last season for example.

I don't really think CB's are at their peak til late twenty's. So whilst I like the policy of young and hungry players in attacking roles, I'd be ok if we bent that rule for a centre back.

I also believe there must be bargains around. Some of our best ever players have been relatively low cost centre backs - Fonte, Svensson, even back to Richards.

I think it depends how you want to play. If you want to press, it means a high defensive line, which exposes you to long balls and any defender without pace. Certainly against West Ham away last season they simply dinked balls over the top and it tore Stephens and Bednarek apart, the latter was pretty much our best defender last season (as he did most of his defending with the ball in front of him).

Agree with all of this. Personally I like to see Yoshida in the starting XI because he is the only CB with any hint of pace, but last season I saw Bednarek and Yoshida have a number of excellent games.

I still believe this has Nigel Adkins' finger prints all over it and it is likely to happen. Suppose he's better than Redmond for example? Shouldn't think anybody feels secure under Ralph's eye.

This transfer windows has been a bit dissapointing. If we are to play a Gegenpress game there is still not a suited personel to do it. We are seriously lacking at least on quick CB and a midfielder of the Wanyama type.

Our midfield is too weak and slow. Even more so if Lemina is leaving.

It's the 9th of July.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11065/11713244/premier-league-ins-and-outs-all-the-2019-summer-transfer-window-moves

Take a look at this list of transfers so far. It appears that we are offloading two or three players (all for relatively decent fees) and are known to be targeting a new CB. I am not 'happy-clappy' but lets give the club a couple more weeks before hitting the Meltdown button again.

This transfer windows has been a bit dissapointing. If we are to play a Gegenpress game there is still not a suited personel to do it. We are seriously lacking at least on quick CB and a midfielder of the Wanyama type.

Lol. How can it be a bit disappointing? It's still open for weeks yet!

Agree with much of that, but have to remember there is still a month to go and most deals happen in the last month.

Also we have at least 10 players to sell or loan out which is probably hampering our ability to make more additions. All the below are surplus to requirement or clearly leaving but still here on first team wages at the moment:

Forster

McCarthy

Cedric

Stephens

Hoedt

Clasie

Lemina

Reed

Hesketh

Boufal

Elyounoussi

Carrillo

Austin

Gallagher

Also the window shuts earlier for us than most of Europe which reduces their urgency. Why sign Hoedt, Cedric, Boufal or Carillo now when you can wait and get someone better?

That said, if we need a CB, RB and CM.

But Saints always leave one position massively under resourced so who knows...

Agree with much of that, but have to remember there is still a month to go and most deals happen in the last month.

Also we have at least 10 players to sell or loan out which is probably hampering our ability to make more additions. All the below are surplus to requirement or clearly leaving but still here on first team wages at the moment:

Forster

McCarthy

Cedric

Stephens

Hoedt

Clasie

Lemina

Reed

Hesketh

Boufal

Elyounoussi

Carrillo

Austin

Gallagher

Also the window shuts earlier for us than most of Europe which reduces their urgency. Why sign Hoedt, Cedric, Boufal or Carillo now when you can wait and get someone better?

That said, if we need a CB, RB and CM.

But Saints always leave one position massively under resourced so who knows...

It's likely to take more than one transfer window to fully clear out all the dead wood we've accumulated over the years and get a squad that Ralph is happy with.

Priority to get off the books should be Austin, Forster, Hoedt, Carillo, Clasie and Gallagher who all clearly have no future at all. That should at least free up a fair chunk of wages for us to be in a better negotiating position when trying to buy.

We do haf3 a quick centre back - Yoshida

We do haf3 a quick centre back - Yoshida

Half quick? Pretty sure he's been statistically the fastest player in the squad for the last few years and I seem to remember around Sept/Oct last year he'd recorded the top speed in the league.

Half quick? Pretty sure he's been statistically the fastest player in the squad for the last few years and I seem to remember around Sept/Oct last year he'd recorded the top speed in the league.

Yeah, sorry, FFS - should have been "have"

Came on here to see if there's been any transfer news and all I see is some absolute bin bag waffling on about what it's like to work in France.

Are the mods on holiday!?

No, they're on strike. Like some stinking Frenchman.

Villa bid £7m for Tom Heaton but turned down I wonder if McCarthy will end up on their list.

Forster won’t be going anywhere with his wages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sky mentioned today that McCarthy was under consideration at Villa