Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

No current, semi-plausible links at the moment which is strange mid window.

Feels like what happens next will very much be determined by outgoings.

Surely we won't sign a 6th first team CB until at least one of the current five leaves?

Likewise RB with Cedric.

No current, semi-plausible links at the moment which is strange mid window.

Feels like what happens next will very much be determined by outgoings.

Surely we won't sign a 6th first team CB until at least one of the current five leaves?

Likewise RB with Cedric.

We're probably as desperate for Mario to leave as he is to leave us.

Cant complain about the in's we've brought so far, definitely seem to suit the style of what Ralph wants to do. Would really like to see some others out the door though, and it doesn't appear as if any of Gallagher, Austin, Hoedt, Carillo, Forster, MacCarthy, Clasie, Boufal etc are leaving in the overly near future. Certainly no really strong links at this moment. And that doesn't even take into account the guys like Reed, Hesketh, McQueen who clearly have almost no future here.

Be as happy to see some of them go as I would a new signing at this point, but I think it's as hard work getting people out as it is getting them in nowadays.

If we are to play a Gegenpress game there is still not a suited personel to do it.

Kind of agree though most of our forward players are suited to pressing opposition defenders (very natural for the likes of Long and Ings for example), but Ralph doesn't really play a gegenpress a la Klopp, we press the opposition high up the pitch if they play out from the back, but tend to play more of a low block if they have more advanced possession, so I don't think there is as much requirement for our defenders to push so far up the pitch, mainly because we don't have as much possession as say a Liverpool. We are more a counter attack based team.

That will mean less space in behind and less need for super quick centrebacks, though they are nice to have.

But it does put more onus on the midfield being highly mobile, which is why I agree we need a more mobile DM than Romeu long term.

Plus it would be great to have someone who can dribble out of opposition presses to start attacks, a Dembele like player and the sort of role Naby Keita played for Ralph at Leipzig. Though you'd think Lemina could play this role, but obviously he wants to move on.

Nothing to do with paying transfer fees it’s the wage bill that’s the problem

This - we need to ensure that we get the wage bill down - it'll give us much more opportunity to bring in players:

Forster - £80k

McCarthy - £60k

Austin - £60k

Lemina - £60k

Cedric - £55k

Hoedt - £50k

Carillo - £50k

Elyounoussi - £50k

Clasie - £40k

Stephens - £40k

Reed - £40k

Gallagher - £30k

That is £615k per week, or £32m per year.

It is also known as, in the business, a ****ing mental waste of money.

So what happens to all those players who do not make the final PL first team squad, cannot find a club to take them yet are still on our books... Austin for example?

I suppose Ralph will say 'not my problem" but how do you handle umpteen surplus but expensively remunerated footballers who will not even be allowed to figure in training.

There are still a few weeks to go in this window so a mass exodus is still possible and one or two show real signs of being rehabilitated.

This - we need to ensure that we get the wage bill down - it'll give us much more opportunity to bring in players:

Forster - £80k

McCarthy - £60k

Austin - £60k

Lemina - £60k

Cedric - £55k

Hoedt - £50k

Carillo - £50k

Elyounoussi - £50k

Clasie - £40k

Stephens - £40k

Reed - £40k

Gallagher - £30k

So only the first four in that list earn over the average premier league wage (£57.6k per week). Worth bearing in mind when discussing the apparent parlousness of our financial situation.

So what happens to all those players who do not make the final PL first team squad, cannot find a club to take them yet are still on our books... Austin for example?

I suppose Ralph will say 'not my problem" but how do you handle umpteen surplus but expensively remunerated footballers who will not even be allowed to figure in training.

There are still a few weeks to go in this window so a mass exodus is still possible and one or two show real signs of being rehabilitated.

In reality, loans with heavily subsidised wages is the main solution.

I'd reckon if we want to shift them for transfer fees, especially to European middling clubs or championship clubs we'll end up subsidising some of those wages.

Lemina should be little issue, seems to be plenty takers who'll pay the fee and we should even earn a profit there on transfer fee I reckon. I think Cedric, Austin, McCarth, Gallagher, Reed and Boufal we should be able to sell for decent fees and not have to subsidise the wages. Clasie should have some takers in Holland and seems willing to drop his wages.

Its Hoedt, Forster, Carillo, and Elynoussi are the ones that are going to be hard to shift. On big wages and they have basically all either been bad out on loan or basically have barely played in a year, so can't see many takers.

I reckon those 4 will end up on loan or just sitting here eating up wages.

I think the rest will have enough suitors and we'll clear wages and pick up a decent transfer fee.

So only the first four in that list earn over the average premier league wage (£57.6k per week). Worth bearing in mind when discussing the apparent parlousness of our financial situation.

FFFP is also worth consideration as we can’t sell a few of them due to making huge losses in our annual report.

FFFP is also worth consideration as we can’t sell a few of them due to making huge losses in our annual report.

Almost all of them have been here a couple of seasons now - presumably their book value would have been marked down over the percentage of their contract already.

Forster - £80k

McCarthy - £60k

Austin - £60k

Lemina - £60k

Cedric - £55k

Hoedt - £50k

Carillo - £50k

Elyounoussi - £50k

Clasie - £40k

Stephens - £40k

Reed - £40k

Gallagher - £30k

You’re spot on about the wages being the main problem.

I know there is still time, but the concerning thing is how close we are to genuinely shifting anyone.

I know there is still time, but the concerning thing is how close we are to genuinely shifting anyone.

Clearly we are going to end up keeping some we would rather get rid of, which is less than ideal.

I am worried that there are about 30 days of the window left and its feasible to need the following as a minimum I would say:

Sales/Loans:

Austin

Gallagher

Carillo

Boufal

Lemina

McCarthy or Forster

Reed

Hesketh

Clasie

At least one CB

Cedric

Buys:

CB

Fullback cover (if Cedric goes)

CM (if Lemina goes)

Thats basically a deal completed every two days until the end of the window.

I think Cedric will end up staying til hia contract expires and therefore we won't bring in a full back.

Eh? Why does it matter that only 4 out of the 12 players listed earn over the PL average wage? Surely the relevant fact is that we're spending £32m a year on players that have no future at the club?!

Eh? Why does it matter that only 4 out of the 12 players listed earn over the PL average wage? Surely the relevant fact is that we're spending £32m a year on players that have no future at the club?!

And that is the crux of the matter. Paying for stuff we are not or have no intention of using is ruinous to our ultimate goal.

What’s even more annoying is there is jack we can do about it.

If we can't get them to go what's the answer?

Do we let them train with the squad when RH wants to work with his core to get them playing well together?

Do we let them become the B team in training and hope they don't injure the A teamers?!

Do we make them train with the U-23s?

Do send them off on gardening leave?

Do we accidentally leave them behind in China?

Send them out on loan (Totton, Sholing, who knows) and pay all the wages?

Ask someone from Chelsea how they manage it? Monk??!!

If we can't get them to go what's the answer?

Do we let them train with the squad when RH wants to work with his core to get them playing well together?

Do we let them become the B team in training and hope they don't injure the A teamers?!

Do we make them train with the U-23s?

Do send them off on gardening leave?

Do we accidentally leave them behind in China?

Send them out on loan (Totton, Sholing, who knows) and pay all the wages?

Ask someone from Chelsea how they manage it? Monk??!!

The difference sue is that Chelsea have players that other clubs want on loan. Our fringe players are sh1te. The reality is that those surplus to requirements will train, be available if needed and take the wages. Its a horrendous situation and I can't think of another club who have wasted such a huge amount on transfer fees and wages.

The difference sue is that Chelsea have players that other clubs want on loan. Our fringe players are sh1te. The reality is that those surplus to requirements will train, be available if needed and take the wages. Its a horrendous situation and I can't think of another club who have wasted such a huge amount on transfer fees and wages.

Off the top of my head, Everton, West Ham, Bournemouth, Man Utd. In fact all clubs gamble in the market -some transfers come off and some don’t. In many respects we’ve been more successful than most.

Off the top of my head, Everton, West Ham, Bournemouth, Man Utd. In fact all clubs gamble in the market -some transfers come off and some don’t. In many respects we’ve been more successful than most.

not recently we haven't.....last last 24 months, I would suggest

Since our total wage bill is about £113m, that means about 28% of wages are going on players who 'have no future at the club' (though I'd suggest from that list, McCarthy, Lemina, Cedric and Austin would probably make most match day squads if present and fit, so you can remove them from the waste equation - if they're still here, they'll play significant parts).

We have a large-ish squad, in which not all players are in contention for the first team. We don't appear to pay above the average PL wage, and at £80k, our highest earner earns around the same as the highest earners at Watford, Newcastle and less than the highest earner at Wolves (source https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2019/04/26/premier-league-wages-are-a-disgrace-except-when-your-teams-winning/#3b10f8433938).

So my point is simply that our situation seems no different to any other club of our stature. As a % of turnover, we spend around the same as Palace, Bournemouth and Leicester on wages - we aren't a special case and the club has no excuse to plead poverty on this account.

Since our total wage bill is about £113m, that means about 28% of wages are going on players who 'have no future at the club' (though I'd suggest from that list, McCarthy, Lemina, Cedric and Austin would probably make most match day squads if present and fit, so you can remove them from the waste equation - if they're still here, they'll play significant parts).

We have a large-ish squad, in which not all players are in contention for the first team. We don't appear to pay above the average PL wage, and at £80k, our highest earner earns around the same as the highest earners at Watford, Newcastle and less than the highest earner at Wolves (source https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbymcmahon/2019/04/26/premier-league-wages-are-a-disgrace-except-when-your-teams-winning/#3b10f8433938).

So my point is simply that our situation seems no different to any other club of our stature. As a % of turnover, we spend around the same as Palace, Bournemouth and Leicester on wages - we aren't a special case and the club has no excuse to plead poverty on this account.

Surely you can see that having at least 12 unwanted players on our books earnings circa £32m a year is a bad thing and a bar to us bringing in other players and growing as a club? Frankly how that compares to other clubs is irrelevant, it's a fact that hampers out club and that's all that matters.

Surely you can see that having at least 12 unwanted players on our books earnings circa £32m a year is a bad thing and a bar to us bringing in other players and growing as a club? Frankly how that compares to other clubs is irrelevant, it's a fact that hampers out club and that's all that matters.

Having a smaller, better paid squad and ability to pay that bit more to players will obviously increase the quality of players available.

My point is that all clubs recruit unsuccessfully, and I don't see any reason why our list of 'players with no future' (many of whom were matchday squad regulars last season) is any more of a burden than it is on other clubs of similar means who are able to outspend us.

Kind of agree though most of our forward players are suited to pressing opposition defenders (very natural for the likes of Long and Ings for example), but Ralph doesn't really play a gegenpress a la Klopp, we press the opposition high up the pitch if they play out from the back, but tend to play more of a low block if they have more advanced possession, so I don't think there is as much requirement for our defenders to push so far up the pitch, mainly because we don't have as much possession as say a Liverpool. We are more a counter attack based team.

That will mean less space in behind and less need for super quick centrebacks, though they are nice to have.

But it does put more onus on the midfield being highly mobile, which is why I agree we need a more mobile DM than Romeu long term.

Plus it would be great to have someone who can dribble out of opposition presses to start attacks, a Dembele like player and the sort of role Naby Keita played for Ralph at Leipzig. Though you'd think Lemina could play this role, but obviously he wants to move on.

Perceptive post amongst a thread full of meaningless nonsense.

Agree with you that a more mobile DM should be our top priority for Ralph’a likely system.

Perceptive post amongst a thread full of meaningless nonsense.

Agree with you that a more mobile DM should be our top priority for Ralph’a likely system.

Kalvin Phillips is that man.... I know we have been tenuously linked with him before and Leeds are of course desperate to keep him, but if we can move on some of our "for sale" players then we should have enough to put in a bid.

Anyone know if we are still registering an interest with Phillips?

Kalvin Phillips is that man.... I know we have been tenuously linked with him before and Leeds are of course desperate to keep him, but if we can move on some of our "for sale" players then we should have enough to put in a bid.

Anyone know if we are still registering an interest with Phillips?

Seems Spurs want him and if thats the case, they will get him.

CB please

What’s happening to our CB we want?

(1) Been involved in a competition and is now on holiday.

(2) The other club are looking for a replacement first?

(3) Still trying to sort out a price for one?

(4) Going to give a current donkey at the club a 2nd/3rd/4th Chance?

(5) Dont have a 5th one!

What’s happening to our CB we want?

(1) Been involved in a competition and is now on holiday.

(2) The other club are looking for a replacement first?

(3) Still trying to sort out a price for one?

(4) Going to give a current donkey at the club a 2nd/3rd/4th Chance?

(5) Dont have a 5th one!

5) The most obvious one of all - run out of cash, and can't afford one

6)The one we wanted doesn't want to come/is awaiting other offers

7)Ross can't find one in the Black Box

8Les hadn't paid the meter on the Black Box

5) The most obvious one of all - run out of cash, and can't afford one

6)The one we wanted doesn't want to come/is awaiting other offers

7)Ross can't find one in the Black Box

8Les hadn't paid the meter on the Black Box

(9) we're waiting to sell Lemina as we can't afford one without doing that

Starting to believe we have a clear CB target in mind but we're possibly waiting on the host club finding a replacement. Think Ralph wants a leader and someone he possibly knows/trusts. Either of the two Leipzig players Orban or Upamecano may be the ones we're pursuing

Starting to believe we have a clear CB target in mind but we're possibly waiting on the host club finding a replacement. Think Ralph wants a leader and someone he possibly knows/trusts. Either of the two Leipzig players Orban or Upamecano may be the ones we're pursuing

Could be right as they are spending big on getting Lookman back with some of the money from us perhaps?

Then we're dreaming as they're not leaving an upwardly mobile Champions' League club to join our annual relegation dogfight.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Then we're dreaming as they're not leaving an upwardly mobile Champions' League club to join our annual relegation dogfight.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Ralph could have the influence and its not like players havent left a champions league club to join mid table PL clubs before. Better to dream and either player signing is more likely than old timer Cahill who still gets a mention on here

so far, we have moved on Targett and Gallagher

thought we would have shifted more by now

It's much harder to sell players that nobody wants. I expect the players aren't that interested in most of the teams that are interested in for them and are hoping that more attractive offers come in later in the window if the clubs that they want to move to have other targets that fall through.