Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

Nothing like over-egging a situation (pun intended).

6 of the 26 who went to Austria can not be described as 'first team squad' members (except in dire circumstances of multiple injuries/suspensions to players in one position.) Another, Valery, is certainly a first team player but firmly in the U23 category. Two others, Hoedt and Cedric, have been told they can leave should they find a suitable destination (although I will be okay with the later staying.)

Of those left behind I would only class Armstrong as a 'first team squad player' whom the club wish to retain; with possibly Slattery added to that but, again, he is easily classed as an U23 player. And one of those left behind, Gallagher, has already been sold.

I think everyone is fully well aware that the club needs to, and wants to, off-load at least Austin, Carrillo, Hoedt, Boufal and Reed. It is clear they are also happy for Lemina to go. I dare say they would let Hesketh, and a few others, go as well. Not to mention they have said they will allow either McCarthy or Forster to go. That doesn't mean we need to sell all of them in order to bring anyone else in; just one or two (depending on who, and for how much.)

Crap pun and I don't agree with you.

Whatever you category you seek to put players in, the facts are that the playing squad (above what is plainly youth and u23 regular level,) has circa 40 players. We will not supplement that lot with any major addition. We need to move players out before others come in. Have a read of the comments elsewhere from the club at the meet and greet. Based on that, and applying common sense, I'd be staggered if we splash out before moving players out.

Role on August and football, every transfer window there is always a reason why we don't buy someone, why dont we do loan with option to buy for a CB if monies tight like with did with Ings.

With Gallagher off and maybe another the wages will definitely cover it and we spend small capital outlay.

We will be buying a cb and then maybe get in a dm before the end of the window. I'll be happy with that.

Don’t say that too loudly. You may end up with egg on your face, so to speak! Lol Apparently Egg has inside knowledge on all club transfer dealings and we absolutely must sell in order to buy another player despite having sold Gabbiadini mid season, shifting out Davis, then Targett & Gallagher. Other will leave but apparently there is no room for anyone else. ;o)

What utter cr*p! We are looking at CBS which are dependent on other sales in other clubs & if we shift anymore out such as Lemina, Clasie & Boufal, I understand Ralph has made a list of targets despite us being unable to sign anyone according to some on here. Don’t believe the hype. Some fans are too gullible or just naively short sighted.

Don’t say that too loudly. You may end up with egg on your face, so to speak! Lol Apparently Egg has inside knowledge on all club transfer dealings and we absolutely must sell in order to buy another player despite having sold Gabbiadini mid season, shifting out Davis, then Targett & Gallagher. Other will leave but apparently there is no room for anyone else. ;o)

What utter cr*p! We are looking at CBS which are dependent on other sales in other clubs & if we shift anymore out such as Lemina, Clasie & Boufal, I understand Ralph has made a list of targets despite us being unable to sign anyone according to some on here. Don’t believe the hype. Some fans are too gullible or just naively short sighted.

You're all over the place. My initial response was to your suggestion that a) money is still kicking around from the vvd sale and b) that we must smash our transfer record to add another CB to our bloated squad.

You now seem to be saying that it's the Gallagher and Targett sales plus the release of Davis which will facilitate that extra CB record signing. Yeah, that stacks up.

Either way, I'll say it again, I don't believe that we will be adding any significant signing to the squad without first shifting players. That's all I've said.

I'm relaxed about it. There's quite a while yet until the end of the window.

Just gives us less time to sort signings out.

I’ve no doubt players will be shifted by the end of the window, but there’s much more chance of them being loan deals then.

I’ve no doubt players will be shifted by the end of the window, but there’s much more chance of them being loan deals then.

I share that view. If we sell I think we'll buy. If we loan out I think we'll loan in.

23 days of the window left so not a great deal of time and pretty much no strong links of incomings at this stage so expect we will hear of something shortly.

Sale wise we still need to get rid of:

Austin, Carillo, Clasie, Lemina, Boufal, at least one CB, at least one GK.

However I assume we can still sell to the rest of Europe until the end of August?

It may come to having to buy before we sell and I wonder if we would be comfortable to do that?

Also, if we take the squad that went to Austria, plus Djenepo, how woukd that looks as a 25 man PL squad, factoring in ages etc?

May give a clue as to what we are thinking.

23 days of the window left so not a great deal of time and pretty much no strong links of incomings at this stage so expect we will hear of something shortly.

Sale wise we still need to get rid of:

Austin, Carillo, Clasie, Lemina, Boufal, at least one CB, at least one GK.

However I assume we can still sell to the rest of Europe until the end of August?

It may come to having to buy before we sell and I wonder if we would be comfortable to do that?

Also, if we take the squad that went to Austria, plus Djenepo, how woukd that looks as a 25 man PL squad, factoring in ages etc?

May give a clue as to what we are thinking.

The chances of selling four of the five above are close to zero imho but Lemina will fetch enough to finance the defender we are expecting. The challenge of how to slim down a fat squad isn't going away any time soon.

I think we'll get the best insight into team/squad thinking by who gets sent to Macau and who goes to Dublin.

Ralph will be going out to Macau so maybe last chance for one or two fringe players to impress?

I believe he said he wanted deals done early this summer to get as much of a full pre-season as possible for potential line-ups, struggling to move players on is hampering that a bit.

The reality is that we always want players in as soon as possible but every window goes the same way for most clubs, and that is that most deals are done towards the end as deadline approaches and compromises are made. I like the two weve signed so far (and Ings) but I am concerned about CB and DCM. Ideally I would like another winger/forward (Bowen sounds exciting) but we do have numbers up top.

It's more important though that Ralph has had and will have had several weeks to install his methodology and expectations. This cannot be underestimated. But without signings I suggest a safe place between 10 and 14 is most probable. Any higher is reliant upon making 2 or 3 more quality signings.

The reality is that we always want players in as soon as possible but every window goes the same way for most clubs, and that is that most deals are done towards the end as deadline approaches and compromises are made. I like the two weve signed so far (and Ings) but I am concerned about CB and DCM. Ideally I would like another winger/forward (Bowen sounds exciting) but we do have numbers up top.

It's more important though that Ralph has had and will have had several weeks to install his methodology and expectations. This cannot be underestimated. But without signings I suggest a safe place between 10 and 14 is most probable. Any higher is reliant upon making 2 or 3 more quality signings.

Pretty much how I see it. If I read the contracts thread right (I do love OLAS's work) we still have 30 over 21s on our books for 25 places. To bring in the cb, dm and possibly a winger would require us shifting 8 players. The chances of us shifting 8 this window are very slim imho. And they need to be 8 we want rid of too - only rumours seem to be Lemina and Boufal who don't even fit that bracket for some (me too if I'm brutally honest).

I said a couple of weeks ago this mess of a squad would take a good 2-3 Windows to sort and so I'm not shocked we're not as far forward as we'd hoped. I think the appointment of Ralph has signalled the end of the downward curve on the graph and it's heading up again, but only marginally so 11-14th next season is probably about right. Will be the following season before we see that upward line steepen much imho.

Obviously disappointing to us impatient fans but the unfortunate reality given the squad we have and the financial constraints such a bloated playing roster creates.

Edited by Chewy
Typos

Pretty much how I see it. If I read the contracts thread right (I do love OLAS's work) we still have 30 over 21s on our books for 25 places. To bring in the cb, dm and possibly a winger would require us shifting 8 players. The chances of us shifting 8 this window are very slim imho. And they need to be 8 we want rid of too - only rumours seem to be Lemina and Boufal who don't even fit that bracket for some (me too if I'm brutally honest).

I said a couple of weeks ago this mess of a squad would take a good 2-3 Windows to sort and so I'm not shocked we're not as far forward as we'd hoped. I think the appointment of Ralph has signalled the end of the downward curve on the graph and it's heading up again, but only marginally so 11-14th next season is probably about right. Will be the following season before we see that upward line steepen much imho.

Obviously disappointing to us impatient fans but the unfortunate reality given the squad we have and the financial constraints such a bloated playing roster creates.

It's perfectly possible to have players on the books who aren't included in the official 25 man squad. Obviously a total waste of money, but football clubs are hardly 100% efficient businesses at the best of times.

It's perfectly possible to have players on the books who aren't included in the official 25 man squad. Obviously a total waste of money, but football clubs are hardly 100% efficient businesses at the best of times.

Well, yes ... but we're already oversubscribed by 5 and I doubt our owners/finance team will sanction any new signings until that number is quite a bit healthier.

You could risk having a couple too many and subsidising a loan or 2, but not 8!

Well, yes ... but we're already oversubscribed by 5 and I doubt our owners/finance team will sanction any new signings until that number is quite a bit healthier.

You could risk having a couple too many and subsidising a loan or 2, but not 8!

I think you're underestimating the problem, I think we are actually 6 over at the moment (31 over 21s).

I think you're underestimating the problem, I think we are actually 6 over at the moment (31 over 21s).

Yeah - but quite a few of those will go. If it's 6, then we only have to lose 6 of the 15 below...

Can easily see us losing 6 of the "ex academy" players whether that's on loan or sold.

I could easily see Reed, Lewis, Austin, Clasie, Boufal, Lemina all leaving without much of a problem

Reed

Barnes

Hesketh

McQueen

Stephens

Lewis

Johnson

Slattery

Cedric

Hoedt

Clasie

Carrillo

Austin

Boufal

Lemina

All sales apart from Austin and potentially Lemina will be going abroad. Wouldn’t be surprised if deals begin to be put in place but not confirmed until after our window closes as will strengthen our buying position regarding what we have to spend.

I

I wonder if a spot in the midfield 2 with Hoj would suit him. For all his faults he did run with the ball and pass it well on occasion.

Good shout, if he can run with the ball and pass it why not give him a go as a winger. He can’t be any worse than the Moroccan Norwegian and as he’s alright in the air he might get on the end of a few crosses too. Think outside the box, that’s what we want to see.

Anyone reckon Heodt will stay and Ralph gets a tune out of him?

Not completely beyond the bounds of possibility. He has shown certain attributes, actually looks quite cultured at times. A good manager should be able to improve him.

Hoedt will be going back to Italy, actually only one of the not wanted players that’s acting professionally .

Interesting one on twitter, we are signing JWP for 23 million.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP?

James Wright-Phillips

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Hoedt will be going back to Italy, actually only one of the not wanted players that’s acting professionally .

There was this http://sportwitness.co.uk/agent-proposed-club-opportunity-sign-southampton-player-summer/ a few hours ago. Nowhere does it mention AC actually being keen on Wes.

Do you reckon Kees Vos has met with AC Milan over a move?

And yet when you posted the same info on TUI you showed the tweet and it said £32.5m?

Losing your grip Cabbage?

That seems a bit of an odd thing to do... Why would we sign James Ward-Prowse for £23million when we already own him?

From the Echo:

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17779595.southampton-look-sell-striker-charlie-austin/

Quote:

In a summer where moving players on is as important as making new signings, the club have so far only managed to sell two squad members, while also recruiting two.

They remain committed to bringing in more players for Hasenhuttl but will struggle to make any financially significant transfers unless they can shift players on.

------

Better hope we starting shifting more players pretty damn quick with just 3 weeks left for signings.

What happened to the massive offer from Spurs for Prowsey?

It's 30. Well 32, but Rose and Jones have been loaned out for the season. If McQueen is likely to be out for some (can't say I have any idea) we could leave him out until January creating one extra space, but as it is 5 to shift before we have any space for signings without having to leave any players out.

Yeah - but quite a few of those will go. If it's 6, then we only have to lose 6 of the 15 below...

Can easily see us losing 6 of the "ex academy" players whether that's on loan or sold.

I could easily see Reed, Lewis, Austin, Clasie, Boufal, Lemina all leaving without much of a problem

Reed

Barnes

Hesketh

McQueen

Stephens

Lewis

Johnson

Slattery

Cedric

Hoedt

Clasie

Carrillo

Austin

Boufal

Lemina

Point is though that we need to sell/loan more than that to create space for any additional signings (without having fully paid pros sat at the club unavailable). Its 5, not 6, but if we want the 3 new signings everyone seems to be suggesting we'd need to move 8 on.

Of your list of academy players, two are under 21 so make no difference, McQueen is injured and Lewis will imho be 3rd choice keeper (assuming we can shift either Forster or McCarthy). If we did get another offensive player I could see Sims being at risk (contract up next summer). But finding homes for 8 players will be difficult I think.

Not necessarily. I imagine we are planning for both scenarios. Maybe we will get a loan in but that's better than no one at all. We won't go down this year which is all I care about really as well as having a bash at the cups.

What is the big deal with leaving players unregistered, as long as we manage to create space on the wage bill? If we manage to have the space to sign a CB and a DM without being able to offload Austin, why would anyone care if he is left unregistered? In fact, I would register an injured McQueen over him for sh!ts and giggles. What matters is getting players off the wage bill, not whether we will have more than 25 over-21s.

What is the big deal with leaving players unregistered, as long as we manage to create space on the wage bill? If we manage to have the space to sign a CB and a DM without being able to offload Austin, why would anyone care if he is left unregistered? In fact, I would register an injured McQueen over him for sh!ts and giggles. What matters is getting players off the wage bill, not whether we will have more than 25 over-21s.

Therein lies the problem though. I don't suppose the club give a monkeys if a few are surplus and kicking their heels for a few months, other than the fact they are draining the £ at the same time.