Results 1 to 34 of 34

Thread: Greetings from The Athletic

  1. #1

    Default Greetings from The Athletic

    Hello everyone,

    As you may have seen, The Athletic launched in the UK this Monday morning.

    The website is looking to have 20 journalists covering all 20 teams in the Premier League (and some beyond), and I thought it best to come here and formally introduce myself.

    https://theathletic.com/1083618/2019...ng-conviction/

    I moved to your city last month and have spent the last few weeks talking to fans, historians and those around the club. Going to try my best to learn and do your club justice. Let me know if I'm achieving that goal. Let me know if I'm not.

    Hope to see some of you fans throughout the season, both home and away.

  2. #2

    Default

    That’s awesome that The Athletic has its own Southampton writer! I’m very familiar with you guys since it has been big over here in the United States for awhile! I will be over for the home match against Liverpool in two weeks time if you’d like to meet up and find out what life is like as a Saints fan in the USA!

  3. #3

    Default

    You're very welcome! Hope to keep enjoying your articles throughout the season.

    Which area you staying whilst you're here?

  4. #4

    Default

    A very interesting project. Will definitely subscribe and see what it’s all about! Best of luck Carl.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fighting Messageboard injustice, Everywhere
    Posts
    2,878

    Default

    Welcome and good luck.

  6. #6

    Default

    Hahaha enjoyed the Liverpool quip.

    Cool I have been thinking about subbing for a while so maybe this is the motivation.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    the metropolis of Southampton
    Posts
    6,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Convict Colony View Post
    Hahaha enjoyed the Liverpool quip.

    Cool I have been thinking about subbing for a while so maybe this is the motivation.
    Met Carl last week and read his excellent first article last night. Grown up journalism from someone who takes his job seriously enough to move to the city to ensure he gets the feel of the club. Definitely worth checking him out.

  8. #8

    Default

    Signed up for the year for 29 quid via Carl's link.

  9. Default

    A fairly seismic move for that industry.

    Hope it does well.

  10. #10

    Default

    Already read the secret owner article and checking out the others, some interesting stuff.

  11. #11

    Default

    Welcome Carl. Iíve just signed up this morning. Enjoyed the first couple of articles and looking forward to the content over the rest of the season.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by niceandfriendly View Post
    You're very welcome! Hope to keep enjoying your articles throughout the season.

    Which area you staying whilst you're here?

    I'm just on the cusp of Oxford Street. Working from home at the moment, but taking time to get lost walking around the city. You've got a lovely library and some good craft beer places here!

  13. #13

    Default

    If you're at a loose end tonight then there's some good comedy on in the basement of Mango Thai Tapas just around the corner from Oxford Street. Nathan Caton is down to perform tonight which is a decent act for a small venue.

    For craft beer check out Unity which isn't far from St Mary's those guys have got some amazing ales going on.

  14. Default

    Looking forward to it

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anka View Post
    I'm just on the cusp of Oxford Street. Working from home at the moment, but taking time to get lost walking around the city. You've got a lovely library and some good craft beer places here!
    Bro its a bit too early for me but I guess you've taken the Hunter S Thompson approach to writing

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Convict Colony View Post
    Bro its a bit too early for me but I guess you've taken the Hunter S Thompson approach to writing
    Write drunk. Edit sober.

    I would like to be a member of this forum, but please let me know if I'm taking the mic, not going to take anyones comments here and put them on the website without asking first.

    Which brings me to....

    Anyone want to talk to me about the home kit? My DMs on Twitter are open if anyone wants a chat as well.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    17,550

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anka View Post
    Write drunk. Edit sober.

    I would like to be a member of this forum, but please let me know if I'm taking the mic, not going to take anyones comments here and put them on the website without asking first.

    Which brings me to....

    Anyone want to talk to me about the home kit? My DMs on Twitter are open if anyone wants a chat as well.
    The home kit is ugly, like all UA home kits we have had.

    However, the sponsor logo is quite interesting.... you might want to look into that.

  18. #18

    Default

    It's was designed in the dark but I like the away kit actually.

    But to be honest though the kit matters about 1% to me compared to everything else, it's window dressing to facilitate the parting of money from fans every year.

    Also Carl do you have a quota of stories you have to keep ? Saw you posted 3 yesterday, imagine it will be easier once we get into the routine of the season.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    The home kit is ugly, like all UA home kits we have had.

    However, the sponsor logo is quite interesting.... you might want to look into that.
    Benji speaks sense here, Anka. Definitely look into our dodgy sponsor.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,116
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anka View Post
    Hello everyone,

    As you may have seen, The Athletic launched in the UK this Monday morning.

    The website is looking to have 20 journalists covering all 20 teams in the Premier League (and some beyond), and I thought it best to come here and formally introduce myself.

    https://theathletic.com/1083618/2019...ng-conviction/

    I moved to your city last month and have spent the last few weeks talking to fans, historians and those around the club. Going to try my best to learn and do your club justice. Let me know if I'm achieving that goal. Let me know if I'm not.

    Hope to see some of you fans throughout the season, both home and away.
    Welcome. Are your articles going to be freely available? I have a year's subscription to the US version which is very good but costs an arm and a leg (I understand that journos can't be allowed to starve), so wonder if there are any plans to put content behind a paywall?

  21. #21

    Default

    Welcome.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Welcome. Are your articles going to be freely available? I have a year's subscription to the US version which is very good but costs an arm and a leg (I understand that journos can't be allowed to starve), so wonder if there are any plans to put content behind a paywall?
    If you already have a US subscription, you will be able to read all Athletic UK content. We'll be under the Premier League/Championship tab for you..

    The hope is to write at least 2 pieces a week on Southampton, with a little space to do more if something eventful, or do with the city or football culture as a whole arises.

    There won't be traditional match reports in the "and in the 35 minute Ward Prowse played a slide rule pass", but more of a "Why do all Saints attacks go down the left on the 55th minute onwards" features.

  23. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Roswell, GA (suburb of Atlanta), USA
    Posts
    711

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Welcome. Are your articles going to be freely available? I have a year's subscription to the US version which is very good but costs an arm and a leg (I understand that journos can't be allowed to starve), so wonder if there are any plans to put content behind a paywall?
    If you have a sub to US version, you have sub to UK as well. I have subscribed in US since soon after it started. Great in depth articles through which I have learned a lot about American sports. If it's half as good with the football articles, it is well worth the money...no annoying ads.

  24. Default

    I thought this thread was about a bloke from Charlton?

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,116
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anka View Post
    If you already have a US subscription, you will be able to read all Athletic UK content. We'll be under the Premier League/Championship tab for you..

    The hope is to write at least 2 pieces a week on Southampton, with a little space to do more if something eventful, or do with the city or football culture as a whole arises.

    There won't be traditional match reports in the "and in the 35 minute Ward Prowse played a slide rule pass", but more of a "Why do all Saints attacks go down the left on the 55th minute onwards" features.
    Cheers thanks. My question was more for those who don't have a subscription and how much of your material they'd be able to access. I like the Athletic (I'm a big fan of dane brugler's nfl draft coverage but that's for another day/thread/forum). It's difficult to have something to say in such a crowded and saturated space but the Athletic pulls it off. Will follow your work with interest.

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Redditch, West Midlands
    Posts
    354

    Default

    Hi Carl. I have Subscribed after reading that first article. Would be nice to read some thought provoking articles not the same rehashed garbage. Also a big American Football fan and hadn't come across The Athletic before so very interested in it's makeup. The fact that you've moved to Southampton makes me believe you're doing this seriously as well which is refreshing.

    As my profile name suggests I'm not based in Southampton so probably won't get the chance to meet you or share my views on my beloved (& bloody frustrating) Saints but it you ever need an opinion from a fan originally from but now not local to Southampton with a young son (9 yrs old) who also supports Saints please do not hesitate to ask.

  27. #27

    Default

    Looks like a good idea having a journalist for each team but at £10 a month I think I’ll pass.

  28. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shance View Post
    Looks like a good idea having a journalist for each team but at £10 a month I think I’ll pass.
    £2.99 p/m for the first year if you subscribe in August I believe.

  29. #29

    Default

    Welcome Carl. Always enjoyed hearing your thoughts on The Totally Football Show and having read the first article subscribed to The Athletic. Being based in Australia, always looking for additional Saints content. 40 years a saint and 13 of those being 2am viewing from afar here in Australia. We have a great following and community here for Saints if you want another angle on things during the season. I echo the others views on the kit and feel more of the focus should be on the new sponsor and the lack of communication from the clubs owner on our future strategy.

  30. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,073

    Default

    I've signed up - really good in depth articles. Hoping for a full season preview at some point this week?

  31. #31

    Default

    Enjoyed the shirt and Saynts festival irony in todays article, made me chuckle

  32. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    6,861

    Default

    The fact that the fat mess Neil Custis and others are foaming at the mouth about The Athletic means it’s a very good thing.

    Welcome.

  33. #33

    Default

    Season preview went live on Monday! If you follow me via author you should get everything.

    My investigation into where the 19/20 home kits have disappeared to is now live on site.

  34. #34

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Behind you. Now, stop touching that.
    Posts
    12,701
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    I dunno how things have changed in the UK in the last 20 years, but as I remember, craft beer was called beer.

    Sorry for that. Now off to check the link

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •