van Dijk was cheap

Hojbjerg was cheap

Bednarek was cheap

Bertrand was cheap

Romeu was cheap

Wanyama was cheap

Lovren was cheap

Etc etc

Nothing wrong with cheap If you scout well.

£12m for Mane or VVD was not cheap in 2014 and 2015, the new TV deal the year after inflated prices. Look at how little (in quality anyway) £16m bought in Vestergaard and Moi last summer by comparison. £12m five years ago is £25m now. Club need to prepare to compete for players at £20-25m or look for an owner that can. I understand your basic point about recruiting well at a good price and spotting top 6’s next purchase - which as long as we make a good profit and re invest well is OK by me - but those players were comparatively far more expensive a few years ago and the club paid more for Mane’s pace and VVD’s athleticism and power - two attributes that have been lacking in pretty much every signing since 2015.

If I was RH, I’d look for those attributes first and some emergent technical ability that we can draw out with an overhaul of the coaching staff.

By buying the best of up and coming leagues that top 6 don’t have time to develop, there is a risk that for every Suarez, Mane or VVD there is a Moi or Alfonso Alves. But even Leicester with their backing have to fish in these pools. Exciting when you do find a gem. What the club have to do is stop stockpiling mediocrity at £50k a week and make room for recruiting again at that level by clearing 12-15 fringe and some first team players. As RH says, there is no business case for the bloated sameness at present.

Thinking about who we should get rid of, how much could we get for this lot? Bearing in mind that we might not be able to get rid of some of them (Forster, Hoedt).

Stephens

Long

Ings

Austin

Elyounoussi

Gallagher

Armstrong

Forster

Cédric

Hoedt

Reed

Hesketh

Clasie

Carrillo

Thinking about who we should get rid of, how much could we get for this lot? Bearing in mind that we might not be able to get rid of some of them (Forster, Hoedt).

Stephens

Long

Ings

Austin

Elyounoussi

Gallagher

Armstrong

Forster

Cédric

Hoedt

Reed

Hesketh

Clasie

Carrillo

Not greatly optimistic regarding permannent fees, and several are likely to have to gon loan.

Hopefully we might be able to use some of the surplus younger players as bargaining with Championship clubs (Reed, Hesketh for example).

Why include Ings?

He's ours. He signed a 4 or 5 year pre-contract last summer, which kicks in during July 2019 when the obliged transfer with Liverpool for £18m finalises. He won't go back and we won't be selling him after buying him.

I think the issue is not how much we would get, but who would take them on their wages. I’d imagine we would be happy with nominal fees c £2-5m for most of them to get them off the books. We would have done very well to get rid of 10 ‘squad’ players for £35m,, but throw in £25m a year saved on wages you have a sum to get a couple of decent 1st team players (cf and cb) and a back up right back. Needs to be done - 1st job of this new bloke from Everton and Ross (not hopeful they will have huge success)

Why include Ings?

He's ours. He signed a 4 or 5 year pre-contract last summer, which kicks in during July 2019 when the obliged transfer with Liverpool for £18m finalises. He won't go back and we won't be selling him after buying him.

Because he is ok but nothing special, we might want to upgrade to someone like Augustin, we could keep him as backup but is one of our assets that we could most easily sell for decent money, we might want to make room for Obafemi, his injury record isn't very good, there is nothing stopping us from selling him this summer like wolves did with Afobe last summer.

I think the issue is not how much we would get, but who would take them on their wages. I’d imagine we would be happy with nominal fees c £2-5m for most of them to get them off the books. We would have done very well to get rid of 10 ‘squad’ players for £35m,, but throw in £25m a year saved on wages you have a sum to get a couple of decent 1st team players (cf and cb) and a back up right back. Needs to be done - 1st job of this new bloke from Everton and Ross (not hopeful they will have huge success)

That's sort of what I'm getting at. Someone like Forster we would do well to move him on a free transfer, we probably won't be able to even do that, so I was wondering what sort of price tags people would put on the players I listed taking into account the fact that in some cases we will practically have to give them away just to get them off the wage bill.

Forster has been on the bench for the last couple of matches. His rehabilitation is nearly finished.

I can see us keeping him and selling McCarthy . We would get much more for McCarthy than Forster which would provide much needed transfer funds and would also remove the need for a "wages adjustment"

Edited by Tamesaint

Stephens[emoji736]

Long[emoji777]

Ings[emoji777]

Austin[emoji736]

Elyounoussi[emoji736]

Gallagher[emoji736]

Armstrong[emoji777]

Forster[emoji736]

Cédric[emoji736]

Hoedt[emoji736]

Reed[emoji777]

Hesketh[emoji777]

Clasie[emoji736]

Carrillo[emoji736]

McQueen[emoji736]

I think that translates as "cheap".

Not really. though not that we can necessarily buy £30 - 40 million players, but it means players he can mould, he doesn't want bad habits that he can't iron out he wants young players who he can improve and tailor to his system and style.

No real difference to what Bournemouth try to do, Howe pretty much looks for the same, talent he can mould and improve with lots of work on the training pitch.

I doubt we will buy any player over the age of about 24 in the summer.

His press conference he said looking at players on their first, second or third contract max. That means looking at younger players Im guessing.

It seems nothing has changed ( not a criticism) - we will look for younger players ( internally and externally) who we think we can improve, if they get very good , we accept that they will move onto something bigger. As with Mane , VVD , LLallana, Shaw , Schneiderlin etc etc . Success or otherwise will depend on how good we are at spotting these 'unpolished diamonds' and then once here , how well we develop them ( which I think Ralph will do well).

Augustin looks perfect for me seriously hope we make a move for him, looks to have amazing pace and first touch, and looks like he could potentially be world class.

Adams on the other hand although prolific this season his finishing looks a bit scruffy in comparison. His pace still makes him interesting, but im not sure how he steps up from champ to prem, could be another beckford

My view on squad for next season

Consider moving on;

Player.............Wage?........Contract Expires........Value(Top)......(Low)

McQueen.......£30k pw.............2020....................£1m...............Free.

Forster..........£70k..................2022....................£5m...............£2m.

Cedric...........£50k..................2020....................£8m...............£5m.

Stephens.......£50k..................2022....................£5m...............£2m.

Hoedt............£60k..................2022....................£10m.............£6m.

Claisie...........£50k..................2020.....................Free..............Free.

Reed..............£30k.................2021.....................£2m...............£2m.

Boufal............£60k..................2021....................£8m...............£5m.

Elynounoussi...£60k..................2023....................£5m..............Free

Long...............£60k.................2020.....................£3m..............£2m.

Austin.............£70k.................2020......................£2m.............Free.

Gallagher.........£40k.................2021......................£3m.............£2m.

Carillo.............£60k..................2021.....................£8m..............£2m.

Hesketh...........£20k..................2021....................Free..............Free.

14 players.......£34m.............................................£60m........... ..£28m

Reckon we need:

1. Right Back

2. First Choice Central Defender

3. Left Footed Midfield/Attacker

4. Decent striker (either someone with height or robust with pace)

Augustin looks perfect for me seriously hope we make a move for him, looks to have amazing pace and first touch, and looks like he could potentially be world class.

Adams on the other hand although prolific this season his finishing looks a bit scruffy in comparison. His pace still makes him interesting, but im not sure how he steps up from champ to prem, could be another beckford

I think Jarrod Bowen may offer a bit more to suit the RH style (albeit from the limited bits I've read/seen).

My view on squad for next season

Consider moving on;

Player.............Wage?........Contract Expires........Value(Top)......(Low)

McQueen.......£30k pw.............2020....................£1m...............Free.

Forster..........£70k..................2022....................£5m...............£2m.

Cedric...........£50k..................2020....................£8m...............£5m.

Stephens.......£50k..................2022....................£5m...............£2m.

Hoedt............£60k..................2022....................£10m.............£6m.

Claisie...........£50k..................2020.....................Free..............Free.

Reed..............£30k.................2021.....................£2m...............£2m.

Boufal............£60k..................2021....................£8m...............£5m.

Elynounoussi...£60k..................2023....................£5m..............Free

Long...............£60k.................2020.....................£3m..............£2m.

Austin.............£70k.................2020......................£2m.............Free.

Gallagher.........£40k.................2021......................£3m.............£2m.

Carillo.............£60k..................2021.....................£8m..............£2m.

Hesketh...........£20k..................2021....................Free..............Free.

14 players.......£34m.............................................£60m........... ..£28m

Reckon we need:

1. Right Back

2. First Choice Central Defender

3. Left Footed Midfield/Attacker

4. Decent striker (either someone with height or robust with pace)

Some of these values seem super low. McQueen for 1mil? Wasnt long ago he had a number of decent games for us and sure he'd be a solid Championship player. If Boufal was for sale a lot of clubs would take a chance of him for at least 10 million I reckon, and surely we could get a fee for Hesketh? At one point one of our brightest prospects (may still be)?

Some of these values seem super low. McQueen for 1mil? Wasnt long ago he had a number of decent games for us and sure he'd be a solid Championship player. If Boufal was for sale a lot of clubs would take a chance of him for at least 10 million I reckon, and surely we could get a fee for Hesketh? At one point one of our brightest prospects (may still be)?

You may well be right.

My estimates are based on contract length and wages but I am certainly no expert.

I do hope I am wrong in my conservative projections and we can prise more out of any interested parties.

We wont sell 14 players.

I suspect Ralph will want to have a look at Carrillo and Boufal, I personally feel Boufal might be able to become an asset for us under Ralph, I am not sure Carrillo is mobile enough though for Ralph's systems, I think his 'big guy' up front is usually pretty quick as well.

Also can't see Long going anywhere, I think Ralph likes him and would want him there are that option to bring on in games. Unless Long wants to leave for more football and asks to leave, he'll stay. Plus I believe he is well liked in the dressing room.

I think definite one going out are -

Cedric, Ralph has seen him, seems he wasn't committed, I am sure a Spanish or Italian club will pay a decent enough fee for him.

Hoedt, completely burnt his bridges, his ego seems way above his ability to ever allow him to improve, I think he has the ingredients to be a good centre-back but needs a big mentality change. Issue might be finding someone to take him though, he's hardly been good for Celta.

Austin, think he wants first team football and knows hes already down the pecking order, and probably will drop further if we get another striker. Should be a decent amount of Championship clubs willing to buy him I reckon, though we might have to subsidise some wages. Still reckon we could probably get as much as like £10 million for him though.

Clasie, year on his deal, says he doesn't want to play for us again, hasn't played for us for two years, think we'll let him go cheap to dutch club, might squeeze £5 million out of someone, but more likely we let him go for free to get him off the wage bill.

Beyond those 4 I don't think you can say for certain, Forster is tough to shift cos of wages, no one is going to pay £50-60k a week for a back up so he has to find a first team slot somewhere, not a huge amount of those about. People talking in the other thread that McCarthy might be a more sellable asset, No.2 to some of the big boys and provides a homegrown player for European competitions.

If we can raise like £20-30 million in sales, shift £250k a week of the wages, that should give plenty of room to go out and get 3-4 quality players, could see us spending like maybe another £50-60 million if we manage that.

Why include Ings?

If Cardiff can weadle out of owning Sala, can't we escape the compulsory purchase of Ings on medical grounds? Not fit for purpose often enough.

We wont sell 14 players.

My phone alert from Onefootball said RH ready to sell 6 players, being Forster, Austin, Stephens, Clasie, Hoedt and Cedric. Claims they have all been told they are transfer listed this summer, and they should look to find suitors. Also suggests Boufal and Carillo face uncertain futures.

This could be clickbait tittle-tattle, hope it is, as I would like all focused on the final 3 games. Only after that should anyone at the club be thinking of ins and outs.

We wont sell 14 players.

I suspect Ralph will want to have a look at Carrillo and Boufal, I personally feel Boufal might be able to become an asset for us under Ralph, I am not sure Carrillo is mobile enough though for Ralph's systems, I think his 'big guy' up front is usually pretty quick as well.

Also can't see Long going anywhere, I think Ralph likes him and would want him there are that option to bring on in games. Unless Long wants to leave for more football and asks to leave, he'll stay. Plus I believe he is well liked in the dressing room.

I think definite one going out are -

Cedric, Ralph has seen him, seems he wasn't committed, I am sure a Spanish or Italian club will pay a decent enough fee for him.

Hoedt, completely burnt his bridges, his ego seems way above his ability to ever allow him to improve, I think he has the ingredients to be a good centre-back but needs a big mentality change. Issue might be finding someone to take him though, he's hardly been good for Celta.

Austin, think he wants first team football and knows hes already down the pecking order, and probably will drop further if we get another striker. Should be a decent amount of Championship clubs willing to buy him I reckon, though we might have to subsidise some wages. Still reckon we could probably get as much as like £10 million for him though.

Clasie, year on his deal, says he doesn't want to play for us again, hasn't played for us for two years, think we'll let him go cheap to dutch club, might squeeze £5 million out of someone, but more likely we let him go for free to get him off the wage bill.

Beyond those 4 I don't think you can say for certain, Forster is tough to shift cos of wages, no one is going to pay £50-60k a week for a back up so he has to find a first team slot somewhere, not a huge amount of those about. People talking in the other thread that McCarthy might be a more sellable asset, No.2 to some of the big boys and provides a homegrown player for European competitions.

If we can raise like £20-30 million in sales, shift £250k a week of the wages, that should give plenty of room to go out and get 3-4 quality players, could see us spending like maybe another £50-60 million if we manage that.

Seems like a pretty balanced summary of what they outs are likely to be.

Right back and centre back top of the buy list for me.

Seems like a pretty balanced summary of what they outs are likely to be.

Right back and centre back top of the buy list for me.

Genuine question, do you think we're ok up front?

For me CB and a decent striker are top for me with a decent backup RB being next.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Dr. Kucho’s Eredivisie scouting report recommends the next players as possible Saints targets,

- Michel Vlap, club: Heerenveen, position: attacking midfielder who can also play as a winger. 21 years old.

- Steven Bergwijn, club: PSV, position: winger, 21 years old.

- Martin Ødegaard, club: Vitesse (on loan from Real Madrid), attacking midfielder. 20 years old. Madrid want around 17 million pounds for him.

Dr. Kucho’s Eredivisie scouting report recommends the next players as possible Saints targets,

- Michel Vlap, club: Heerenveen, position: attacking midfielder who can also play as a winger. 21 years old.

- Steven Bergwijn, club: PSV, position: winger, 21 years old.

- Martin Ødegaard, club: Vitesse (on loan from Real Madrid), attacking midfielder. 20 years old. Madrid want around 17 million pounds for him.

Forgot about poor Ødegaard. Hope he’s delivering on his early promise.

Bergwijn’s been linked with some top clubs, IIRC.

My shopping list for the summer:

- Pace striker: Jean-Kevin Augustin from Leipzig

- Pacy winger: Ismail Saar from Rennes

- Commanding midfielder with an eye for a pass: Stanislav Lobotka from Celta Vigo

- Commanding center back: Upamecano from Leipzig or would also be tempted to put in a cheeky bid for Eric Bailly (he hasn t become a bad player overnightand one year left on his contract)

- New right back to provide competition for Valery: Maelhe from Genk or Ruben Aguilar from Montpellier

Promote Slattery, Vokins, Smallbone and Ferry

Get rid of Forster, Clasie, Reed, Austin, Long, Carillo, Gallagher, Stephens, Cedric, Hoedt, Targett, Hesketh

My shopping list for the summer:

- Pace striker: Jean-Kevin Augustin from Leipzig

- Pacy winger: Ismail Saar from Rennes

- Commanding midfielder with an eye for a pass: Stanislav Lobotka from Celta Vigo

- Commanding center back: Upamecano from Leipzig or would also be tempted to put in a cheeky bid for Eric Bailly (he hasn t become a bad player overnightand one year left on his contract)

- New right back to provide competition for Valery: Maelhe from Genk or Ruben Aguilar from Montpellier

Promote Slattery, Vokins, Smallbone and Ferry

Get rid of Forster, Clasie, Reed, Austin, Long, Carillo, Gallagher, Stephens, Cedric, Hoedt, Targett, Hesketh

Oh and keep Boufal next year to see if Ralph can get him to play in the team s style of play.

Anyone else expecting a quiet transfer window?

In rough terms, I’d expect the loaned players to not return and little other activity.

I think a quality CB is a top priority, not so sure on CF (need quality, rather than depth in this role, whereas at CB I think we need someone to relegate Stephens to 5th choice, not necessarily a £20m first choice)

Obviously, we have zero cover at RB, but other than that, I’d expect to simply replace what we lose (eg if Lemina goes, a new CM...if Bertrand goes, a new LB etc).

Why include Ings?

Exactly. He's come in for a bit of stick recently but he's done a great job for us this season. where would we have been without his goals? Also, his work rate and link up play has been superb at times. his performance against Wolves a couple of weeks ago was brilliant.

In rough terms, I’d expect the loaned players to not return and little other activity.

I think a quality CB is a top priority, not so sure on CF (need quality, rather than depth in this role, whereas at CB I think we need someone to relegate Stephens to 5th choice, not necessarily a £20m first choice)

Obviously, we have zero cover at RB, but other than that, I’d expect to simply replace what we lose (eg if Lemina goes, a new CM...if Bertrand goes, a new LB etc).

I wouldnt rule it out given how little the owners seem willing to contribute financially. However it would be shameful to not back RH and stick with a group of players who have performed poorly the last two seasons. Think we need a new outfield spine, quality CB is a must, DM as Romeu at times is poor and at least one CF, likely two. A backup RB would be useful too. Five players in would be more than enough but im more concerned about clearing out those who arent in RH's plans. Theres alot of wages to clear there.

A full pre season under RH will be huge. The longer he has with the team, the better i think we'll get.

I think it would be far better to spend the budget on 2 very good players rather than 5 average ones.

A central defender and a striker, preferably. Then try to reduce the size of the squad to 18-20 senior players again, as Ralph says he prefers that the squad not be bloated.

Best to expect very little from Saints unless the owner suddenly decides to invest.

Our January window was a disgrace (Swansea-esque in negligence) but thankfully Ralph had enough to pull us over the line.

Our best hope is that Ralph is aware of some cheap potential or manages to get something decent out of Boufal and or Carillo

Quality over quantity this summer needs to be the mantra.

& somehow try to shift the deadwood quickly.

Edited by SuperSAINT

I think 3-5 will come in and similar will go out.

Everyone thought we wouldn't do anything last year, but still got 5 in.

Quality is the key though, we need players who'll come in and upgrade what we have, not just add depth.

Quality is the key though, we need players who'll come in and upgrade what we have, not just add depth.

I think the one thing we can be certain of is that far, far more will be going out than coming in. The number of players we have under contract is ridiculous.

The big fear is that whilst I totally trust Ralph to know what we need I have zero faith in Wilson actually delivering it.

All the non top 6 sides have similar targets like Adams. Its hard to actually get deals done unless you are willing to slightly overpay.

Guessing you’re not including loans in those ‘outs’.

all the loans will be impossible to shift permanently, which will restrict us financially, again. You can bet that any that do go out the door, will do so towards the latter end of the window (why pay them during the summer if you don't have to), which again will tie our hands a little.

all the loans will be impossible to shift permanently, which will restrict us financially, again. You can bet that any that do go out the door, will do so towards the latter end of the window (why pay them during the summer if you don't have to), which again will tie our hands a little.

Yep, I share this worry. We can't just get rid of much deadwood without making something of a loss on transfers and/or subsidising wages when they depart.

On the upside, RH has done wonders with a slimmer squad, maybe we only need a couple of additions.