Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

that's exactly what happened. Jutkiewicz worked his socks off and had a good season. I guess it raises a question mark as to whether Adams can lead the line on his own. If he plays with someone like Redmond or Ings he isn't going to have that physical presence next to him. doesn't mean he won't be successful. It's worth noting that until Gary Monk got hold of him, Adams' career was drifting a bit. We are effectively buying a player with one good season, although to be fair, he is relatively young. My bluenose friend feels he is a good fit for us.

Beattie prob deserves a shout too.

He was never the backup to Pellè, he was the replacement and we got him in a few months early.

Being our top scorer is no real boast either, not when he failed to make double figures in either of those seasons. 18 League goals in 3.5 seasons is pretty poor. He didn’t keep us up, we just wouldn’t have been fighting relegation if he’d been any good.

At £4m he was worth a punt but he has been massively disappointing.

for me it was strange signing and I thought as much at the time. Why spend so much energy scouting and investigating the right type of players to bring to the club and then go ahead and sign an obviously injury prone player?

The low fee might have impressed some, but it was clearly offset by a huge wage. Whether it's £70k a week or £100k a week, as suggested by the West Ham chairman, it was certainly a lot for a guy that is injured a lot.

That aside, I have been disappointed that he has not resembled that Swindon player that ran us ragged back in the league one days. Where was the same sharpness, movement and pace? Having said that, the finishing prowess hasn't been too bad and when a chance is created he hasn't let us down. Perhaps we haven't played to his strengths by getting lots and lots of crosses in the box. Prior to last season I thought we messed about a lot with strikers. Gabbi was in good form preseason and then not picked. By the time he was he had lost his form. We then sign Carrillo... lets not go over that again, but perhaps the management have not helped things.

IMO we desperately needed a player that could lead the line, like Pele did, or a completely different type of player that could create and score goals out of nothing. I think we still need that and maybe Adams can offer more.

Austin needs to be shipped out, but he was a good buy. Yes on high wages - but when you tot up transfer fee and wages we had more return from him than Long, Gabbi, Carrillo, Osvaldo and so far Ings. Also his goals kept us up for 2 seasons which is worth what £150m ?. Not a great buy correct, but a much better buy than the rest. People looking for wastes of money and space have plenty of other more relevant targets at SFC

What would be a good window for you boys?

Djenepo, Adams a centre back an right back?

I'm not particularly bothered about right back tbh but if targett goes Lb is looking a bit short !?

I'm not particularly bothered about right back tbh but if targett goes Lb is looking a bit short !?

Jake Vokins will be second choice left back, his progress would be why we may let Targett go.

Jake Vokins will be second choice left back, his progress would be why we may let Targett go.

They (Fulham) will have a ton of money to try & fix their left side when Sessegnon leaves.

Edited by SuperSAINT

What would be a good window for you boys?

Djenepo, Adams a centre back an right back?

Yes, but also selling Austin, Forster, Carillo, Boufal, Classie because we are seriously over crowded with guys that won't be playing for us again ---if its a good window

The Daily Echo article about Che Adams basically says Djenepo + Striker (Adams) + other are our 'the initial high priority signings'.

Plus maybe another and Ralph wants these done asap to get them all in for pre-season.

Then it says 'any further deals would depend on how successful the club are in moving players on.'

So maybe Adams (if a deal is done) or another striker, then a centre back and then we are basically dependent on who we can shift.

The Daily Echo article about Che Adams basically says Djenepo + Striker (Adams) + other are our 'the initial high priority signings'.

Plus maybe another and Ralph wants these done asap to get them all in for pre-season.

Then it says 'any further deals would depend on how successful the club are in moving players on.'

So maybe Adams (if a deal is done) or another striker, then a centre back and then we are basically dependent on who we can shift.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with that. Three players being considered so essential that we get them no matter what but then remainder depends on cutting the squad. If we signed like 7 players without making any sales our wage bill would be absolutely insane, and if we signed no one without selling then we run the risk of running out of time. Signing 3 essentials and then only buying after selling seems like absolutely the right way to be doing our business. And, as has been pointed out by near enough everyone, those of you who think this because we don't have the money to raise transfer fees, I'd say that is pretty unlikely. The combined wages of Forster, Elyounoussi and Austin, none of whom often make our bench is more than that of Mo Salah, Raheem Sterling, or David De Gea. This is why selling 10 to bring in four is the way to go, big squads are super unsustainable.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with that. Three players being considered so essential that we get them no matter what but then remainder depends on cutting the squad. If we signed like 7 players without making any sales our wage bill would be absolutely insane, and if we signed no one without selling then we run the risk of running out of time. Signing 3 essentials and then only buying after selling seems like absolutely the right way to be doing our business. And, as has been pointed out by near enough everyone, those of you who think this because we don't have the money to raise transfer fees, I'd say that is pretty unlikely. The combined wages of Forster, Elyounoussi and Austin, none of whom often make our bench is more than that of Mo Salah, Raheem Sterling, or David De Gea. This is why selling 10 to bring in four is the way to go, big squads are super unsustainable.

Nah I agree if it happens and we get 3 key signings in early that hopefully improve the team then we can't really complain, will also dispel the myth that we have no money because we are probably talking another £50 million outlay there, maybe even more if a 4th comes in before we sell anyone.

Most likely scenario: a subsidised loan for a year til his contract runs out.

IMO one of our worst signings in recent years vs the expectation when he arrived.

He has been a waste of time.

Neither Austin or Forster were bad signings, although obviously shouldn't have offered Forster new contract. Compare Austin to Carillo, Bouffal, Elyonoussi, Clasie, Osvaldo, Hoedt, Gabbiadini, Lemina, Cedric

Neither Austin or Forster were bad signings, although obviously shouldn't have offered Forster new contract. Compare Austin to Carillo, Bouffal, Elyonoussi, Clasie, Osvaldo, Hoedt, Gabbiadini, Lemina, Cedric

When people make these lists they always go missing at the end. It's like they have looked at the list and need it to be longer so just clutch at straws. Lemina is a great player with an injury which he will hopefully recover from over the summer and Cedric has been a key fixture of our defence for years, he may not be amazing but he is a firm servant and has done important things for the club.

Gabbiadini only kept us in the league and but a poor decision would have scored a hat trick in the league cup final and possibly won it for us

When people make these lists they always go missing at the end. It's like they have looked at the list and need it to be longer so just clutch at straws. Lemina is a great player with an injury which he will hopefully recover from over the summer and Cedric has been a key fixture of our defence for years, he may not be amazing but he is a firm servant and has done important things for the club.

Plus Cedric was £4 million, to suggest he is a bad signing is absurd

Gabbiadini only kept us in the league and but a poor decision would have scored a hat trick in the league cup final and possibly won it for us

Quite. I think the problem for Gabbiadini is that he didn't seem to suit the style of play. Given that Pellegrino played sideways slow football, Hughes was a bit more direct and Hasenhuttl plays high pressing counter attack, you might say that his lack of versatility makes him a poor signing, but there was always a sense that we didn't maximise his potential rather than him simply not being very good.

Probably - either way I can’t see us matching the asking price. Definitely the attributes RH is looking for tho’.

Hadn't heard of him until this link. Quick google search and I've read Mainz signed him as an unknown about a year ago although still about £10m. That was the clever scouting, wonder who Reed and Wilson were looking at the time..

Agree with Toadhall, he has height and pace. We only seem to sign shortarses.

How does 'agent talk' actually work? Why would a professional football club make multi million pound decisions on the basis of rumours?

Because 'multi-million pound professional football clubs' are NEVER influenced by things agents say....

Yeah right.

Never said he was a bad siging, just that Austin was a better one

Considering they were pretty much they were the same price and one was a consistent regular for us who has played over 100 games for the club and gained international honours whilst at the club, and the other has been in and out of the team with injuries and never been that consistent, I'd say that is more than a stretch.

Hadn't heard of him until this link. Quick google search and I've read Mainz signed him as an unknown about a year ago although still about £10m. That was the clever scouting, wonder who Reed and Wilson were looking at the time..

Agree with Toadhall, he has height and pace. We only seem to sign shortarses.

Like what I see on this video. In contrast with say the Che Adams show reel, he looks like he has the ability to create goals out of nothing. Looks a big lad too. Yeah, I know, you need more to go on, but there are youtube videos of players full of near misses, tap ins and dribbles with no end product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XxJuddK0Yw

Quite. I think the problem for Gabbiadini is that he didn't seem to suit the style of play. Given that Pellegrino played sideways slow football, Hughes was a bit more direct and Hasenhuttl plays high pressing counter attack, you might say that his lack of versatility makes him a poor signing, but there was always a sense that we didn't maximise his potential rather than him simply not being very good.

he had everything you could want of a striker. Work rate, pace/sharpness, movement and finishing ability. It was incredibly frustrating that it didn't work out here. I have to wonder what happened after the first injury. Did he come back too soon, was he still injured? He looked a completely different player and not in a good way.

Hughes not picking him after a great preseason was also a total mystery to me. By the time he was picked, his form had gone.

If we are going to play a 4-2-2-2 do we need another CD?

Would be happy to start with Bednarek and Vestergaard, with Yoshida as backup and one of our youngsters or even Stephens as a 4th choice CD.

Would rather spend that money on a RB to compete/alternate with Valery, a striker and an attacking midfielder/winger.

Would be happy to start with Bednarek and Vestergaard, with Yoshida as backup and one of our youngsters or even Stephens as a 4th choice CD.

Would rather spend that money on a RB to compete/alternate with Valery, a striker and an attacking midfielder/winger.

you think Bednarek and Vestergaard in a two man centre back partnership is good enough to keep us up?

Any combination of 2 of our current centre backs is bad.

Bednarek's touch and composure isn't up to regularly playing out from the back with him as one of a pair, we'd have to kick long and we don't have a big target up top to aim for.

Bednarek + Vestergaard also lacks any pace to cover if we ever play a high line.

Probably the best pair we could go for is Yoshida + Vestergaard and even then I wouldn't be confident.

If we are going 4-2-2-2 we really need a CB.

I have a suspicion that we won't be after a RB in this window. I think with all the attention Valery has been getting in the Echo and Ralph's comments on how hard he is working to improve his weaknesses I doubt he'd be after someone to reduce his first tram opportunities.

Ramsey has also looked pretty good for the u23s at RB towards the end of the season. In the games I watched he seemed to start putting in some decent crosses and making a lot more forward runs. I expect he'll be the backup next year.

Seems a pretty bright and articulate lad as well.

Of course, I could be totally wide of the mark, but that's how the situation seems to me.

Any combination of 2 of our current centre backs is bad.

Bednarek's touch and composure isn't up to regularly playing out from the back with him as one of a pair, we'd have to kick long and we don't have a big target up top to aim for.

Bednarek + Vestergaard also lacks any pace to cover if we ever play a high line.

Probably the best pair we could go for is Yoshida + Vestergaard and even then I wouldn't be confident.

If we are going 4-2-2-2 we really need a CB.

I have a suspicion that we won't be after a RB in this window. I think with all the attention Valery has been getting in the Echo and Ralph's comments on how hard he is working to improve his weaknesses I doubt he'd be after someone to reduce his first tram opportunities.

Ramsey has also looked pretty good for the u23s at RB towards the end of the season. In the games I watched he seemed to start putting in some decent crosses and making a lot more forward runs. I expect he'll be the backup next year.

Seems a pretty bright and articulate lad as well.

Of course, I could be totally wide of the mark, but that's how the situation seems to me.

I think that a Bednarek Vestergaard central defence would be enough for us to stay up. Not saying it wouldn't be nice to have another good CD but i would spend money on other positions first.

I'm sure Manchester United could offer more money, but can we offer a better manager and more development?

Why would you suppose that we do a better job than anybody else at developing players, there is scant evidence of that in the last 2/3 seasons. This is a myth that needs calling out

you think Bednarek and Vestergaard in a two man centre back partnership is good enough to keep us up?

Bednarek and Vestergaard were poor when we had three centre backs can you imagine the sh*t show that will unfold when we have two CB with the full backs pushing up

There's a reason Ralph has played 3 centre backs nearly all the time so far. It's not because he wants to tactically, it's because he knows our centre backs are not solid or quick enough to play in a back 4 in the prem.

If he wants to move to 4 at the back (which I think he does) then the club need to get him a better quality CB to go with one of the ones we've got.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Why would you suppose that we do a better job than anybody else at developing players, there is scant evidence of that in the last 2/3 seasons. This is a myth that needs calling out

Because they'd actually play? As we have seen, a decent run in any side helps players. There would, I very imagine, be less competition in a Southampton side. Or they could go to Chelsea and be one of the 40 players they have loaned out..

We stayed up with Stephens and Hoedt playing a lot of games and Mark Hughes as manager. So yes, Bednarek and Vesterguard are more than good enough to stay up.

Finishing 10th or 11th comes with having weaknesses in the team still. We'd have done than with Ralph all season even with limited CB options.

Yeah, but Ralph didn't play a back 4 very often did he? Even though it was his favourite system he mostly went with 3 centre backs because of their weaknesses and when we switched to a back 4 due to injures we didn't win a single game.

Hughes played a back 4 pretty much the first half of the season. That worked well, didn't it?

Bednerak and Vestergaard were generally fine, Vestergaard got better as the season went on and I think Bednerak had an excellent season overall.

Main issue for me more was when one wasn't available, Yoshida is a good pro but hes not a great defender and the less said about Stephens the better.

So we need a better one regardless IMO, to challenge Vestergaard and Bednerak, to make sure we have 3 decent centre-backs if we play 3 at the back etc.

Bednerak and Vestergaard were generally fine, Vestergaard got better as the season went on and I think Bednerak had an excellent season overall.

Main issue for me more was when one wasn't available, Yoshida is a good pro but hes not a great defender and the less said about Stephens the better.

So we need a better one regardless IMO, to challenge Vestergaard and Bednerak, to make sure we have 3 decent centre-backs if we play 3 at the back etc.

Win percentage when Verstergaars starts 34.8%

Wins percentage when he doesn’t 6.7%

Win percentage when Stephens starts 10.5%

Win percentage when he doesn’t 36.8%

Coincidence?

Win percentage when Verstergaars starts 34.8%

Wins percentage when he doesn’t 6.7%

Win percentage when Stephens starts 10.5%

Win percentage when he doesn’t 36.8%

Coincidence?

Absolutely this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk