Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

Not that we would likely have got him, but this has to be bad news for clubs like ours if it happens.

This is 'our' market, last thing you want is the big clubs dropping into it and moving for the likes of James, Adams, Bowen etc.

I do kind of agree with you here.

The flip side is that there might be more players available from the big clubs for season long loans - OK, not great for our long-term revenue, but we might get the benefit of a gem or two for a season.

Mitrovic has scored 11 goals this season last bloody player to do that for us was Mane/Pelle he also has three assists and is first in the PL for Aerial battles won Imagine having a striker upfront who could actually win some headers when the ball is pumped aimlessly forward from our back line. I don't now if Mitrovic is the answer or if we would ever spend 30 million on him.... but I really want us to get a forward that can win the ball in the air, hold it up with his back to goal to bring other players into the game and get his head on our crosses to turn them into goals (ideally with a mean penalty and free kick ability)…..god I miss having Lambert upfront.

I agree with Mitrovic. Still young enough to improve and something different to what we currently have.

I think what we all have to bear in mind is that we have fallen a long way in three years. We finished 17th last season and will finish this season 15th-17th.

Someone like Mitrovic would improve our squad, in my opinion.

Not that we would likely have got him, but this has to be bad news for clubs like ours if it happens.

This is 'our' market, last thing you want is the big clubs dropping into it and moving for the likes of James, Adams, Bowen etc.

Agree, it also shows the problem with clubs being able to have such massive squads, they just hoover up everyone who might have some ability, even the ones form lower divisions. I thought there would be competition for him but wasn't expecting it to be Manchester United...

I remember a sesaon or two ago I was looking through stats in foreign leagues to see if there might be some players at smaller clubs who could be a target for us - I found someone I'd never heard of before, googled him and he was already linked with Chelsea. The rules (or lack of them) just makes everything harder to compete with the big clubs now unfortunately.

I fully understand why James would go to United (if the rumour is remotely true)

Should he go, give him 2 seasons max before he is loaned out.

He will play cup games until they get to latter stages (if they do) and get an odd bench appearance.

United need big time players to close the gap to city and the scousers as quickly as possible

I like the look of Tammy Abraham but no idea if we could ever get him.
Wolves (likely Europa League qualifiers) wanted him in January.

The player still believes he can make the grade at Chelsea. Given that they've got a transfer ban and only two over the hill strikers in their current squad (and in any case Higuian is only on loan), Abraham might be wise to keep his powder dry for another season or so. Chances may be about to open up.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

That James transfer has got a lot of the Patrick Roberts about it, as has been said I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a really bad move for his career

Alan Nixon just tweeted that Bournemouth think/thought they had him before the united 'interest'

I fully understand why James would go to United (if the rumour is remotely true)

Should he go, give him 2 seasons max before he is loaned out.

I would have hoped the Sancho / Hudson Odoi effect would kick in & make young players only move for first team action.

Looks like Austin could be hinting that hes leaving. Not surprised but im wondering if RH has already informed those not in his plans for next season

I thought that it was common knowledge that Ralph had told Austin to find a new club.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Somehow I don't think we'll be in for the most in demand young striker in European football on the market. Barcelona or Madrid.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

His agent said he doesn't want a top club move yet as doesn't want to suffer a loss of game time. Would suit Chelsea etc, but not the elite.

Augustin wasn't in the RBL squad today and I don't think he's injured.

He hasn't been in the squad for the last few games, and has been out of the RBL starting 11 for months now.

He tends to get 5-10 minutes max in games that RBL are 2/3-0 up in and hasn't scored a league goal since September

Either poor form or not fancied at all at Red Bull

He hasn't been in the squad for the last few games, and has been out of the RBL starting 11 for months now.

He tends to get 5-10 minutes max in games that RBL are 2/3-0 up in and hasn't scored a league goal since September

Either poor form or not fancied at all at Red Bull

Should see the suggested £35m come tumbling down though.

Should see the suggested £35m come tumbling down though.

Exactly. Clearly Rangnick the current manager doesn't fancy him as much as Ralph his previous manager for whom his stats were much better. As we well know he wouldn't be the first player to perform better under Ralph than other managers. eg JWP.

As you say it should mean that his price comes down and hopefully , if Ralph still wants him, we can get him on the cheap.

http://www.spox.com/at/sport/fussball/oesterreich/1905/Artikel/lask-thomas-goiginger-wohl-auf-dem-zettel-von-fc-southampton.html

austrian media mentioning Thomas Goinginger, 14 goals and 17 assists this season...

Thats quite some surname he has?

IMHO we need two strikers plus we are stuck with Ings who I would prefer as a super sub.

Would love Haller who gave Chelsea so much trouble when he came on but I think he’s out of our price range now.

http://www.spox.com/at/sport/fussball/oesterreich/1905/Artikel/lask-thomas-goiginger-wohl-auf-dem-zettel-von-fc-southampton.html

austrian media mentioning Thomas Goinginger, 14 goals and 17 assists this season...

Always wary of stats like that for playing outside the PL ...Moi had 11 goals and 14 assists (plus 2 more goals and 2 assists in the CL) the season before we signed him. Of course the problem is why can't really afford good proven PL players so we have to take a punt on players in other leagues and hope they can step it up.

There are very few clubs who buy 'good proven Premier League' players. Other clubs do manage to sign players from the top leagues in Portugal, France, Germany, or Spain though. I think we'd be better off looking for up and coming players from those leagues instead of 25 year olds who have a great season against lower quality competition.

There are very few clubs who buy 'good proven Premier League' players. Other clubs do manage to sign players from the top leagues in Portugal, France, Germany, or Spain though. I think we'd be better off looking for up and coming players from those leagues instead of 25 year olds who have a great season against lower quality competition.

You might be right, but we have had some success signing players from 'lesser' league in the past- Mane, Pelle, Tadic, Van Dijk etc. Then you look at the likes of Carillo, playing in a better league but not great.

I think either way it is a gamble and very much depends on the quality of your recruitment department.

Always wary of stats like that for playing outside the PL ...Moi had 11 goals and 14 assists (plus 2 more goals and 2 assists in the CL) the season before we signed him. Of course the problem is why can't really afford good proven PL players so we have to take a punt on players in other leagues and hope they can step it up.

While that is definitely true, it's also (probably) the case where a player who is capable of delivering in the PL will have great numbers in other leagues. Differentiating Suarez from Afonso Alves, or Mane from Elyounoussi (ok Austrian League vs Swiss League but I'm not going to spend more time thinking of equivalents!) is where you have to hope the scouts earn their money.

Teji Savanier has pretty impressive stats in Ligue 1 and is playing for Nimes. No idea whether he's got the ability but he's 27 so probably doesn't fit our model anyway.

Looks like Austin could be hinting that hes leaving. Not surprised but im wondering if RH has already informed those not in his plans for next season

Was that post just about his hair change. Channeling the Aguero look, if not the Aguero skill set.

We are hardly likely to get any decent players wanting to come to SFC at the moment

When you consider where we were 4 years ago under Mopo and then Koeman the drop has been heavy in performances, transfers, club profile, fan optimism and expectations. In everyway the club has declined heavily.

On the positives we have a potentially top manager and we still have our premier league status.

Hopefully we hit rock bottom when Hughes/Reed we fired and the climb back has started slowly but surely

Don't see why not, other poor teams seem to be able to sign good players. Just need to pay them enough money.

Bearing in mind the whispers from the club about our financial situation, I'm really hoping RH has made enough of an impression already to be a deciding factor with the kind of players we're allegedly going to bring in. God knows the current squad look a million miles away from being able to play the kind of high energy, quick passing, quick pressing game he was known for before he came here.

I wonder if Fabian Delph will be on the move this summer?

Still only 29 and seems to be a leader type we need.

Completely phased out since Christmas at city.

Certainly fits the 'young player who we can use on his path to the top' mould that is been said we want.

Retain - Redmond, JWP, Bednarek, Ings (we have to but remember how good he was in the first half of the season before the Conference South training standards pre-RH caught up with him after being used to Liverpool), PEH, Valery, Bertrand, Gunn, Romeu, Sims, Slattery, Obafemi, Yoshida as back up.

Undecided - McCarthy, Vestergaard (realistically we won’t sell the latter, and not sell the former through choice), Reed.

Realistic prospect of selling/mutual termination - Lemina, Cedric, Jordi, Charlie, Targett, Stephens, Long

Sell if buyer can be found, if not loan out - Moi, Hoedt, Forster, Gallagher

Retain - Redmond, JWP, Bednarek, Ings (we have to but remember how good he was in the first half of the season before the Conference South training standards pre-RH caught up with him after being used to Liverpool), PEH, Valery, Bertrand, Gunn, Romeu, Sims, Slattery, Obafemi, Yoshida as back up.

Undecided - McCarthy, Vestergaard (realistically we won’t sell the latter, and not sell the former through choice), Reed.

Realistic prospect of selling/mutual termination - Lemina, Cedric, Jordi, Charlie, Targett, Stephens, Long

Sell if buyer can be found, if not loan out - Moi, Hoedt, Forster, Gallagher

Keep ings and get rid of Vestagard? Don’t think so mate.

I'm pretty sure every club in every league in every country wants "Young, fast & potential"

Would I want Lallana back? No. Too injury prone now it seems.

Now Les Reed has gone the Liverpool favors will hopefully dry up.

I'm pretty sure every club in every league in every country wants "Young, fast & potential"

Would I want Lallana back? No. Too injury prone now it seems.

Now Les Reed has gone the Liverpool favors will hopefully dry up.

Well it didn t seem to be our priority over the last few seasons...

Why do people always forget about wages when discussing players returning? There's been rumours of so many players returning. Lallana, Ox, Chambers, Shaw, Clyne and more. We can't match the wages that they're used to.

Supposed quality of said players and/or injury proneness is irrelevant when we couldn't afford them in the first place.

Not to mention nobody in the current squad is remotely good enough for what they want now

I thought that was all part of the cunning plan to stop us being picked off each summer.

Back to the thread subject, why would we want Lallana back here? He doesn’t offer anything special, would probably pollute the dressing room too, and he seems to be broken most of the time.

Okkkkkkk, end of the season. Phew. So now we look to the summer activity. A 25 man squad needed and some of the youth like Sims will now qualify as part of the 25 man squad if we want to keep them in there.

So this is my squad for next season, including transfers in and out. Obviously Ralph's will be different and of course it is dependent on finances but this is what I'd like to see. OUTS would be loans if we can't sell. I think I have the youth ages right.

GK: Gunn, McCarthy, (Lewis - youth) OUTS - Forster/Rose

RB: New RB (Valery, Ramsey - youth) OUTS - Cedric

LB: Bertrand, Targett. OUTS: McQueen

CB: New CB, Bednarek, Yoshida, Vestergaard, (Alfie Jones - youth) OUTS: Hoedt, Stephens

DM: New DM, Lemina, Hojbjerg, Romeu, (Slattery - youth) OUTS: Reed, Clasie

AM: New AM, Ward-Prowse, Redmond, Armstrong, Sims (Johnson - youth) OUTS: Boufal, Elyounoussi, Hesketh, Davis

STR: New STR, Ings, Long, (Obafemi - youth) OUTS: Barnes, Austin, Gallagher, Carillo

That's 21 senior players backed up by youth, with 5 incoming signings as part of that 21 as I doubt we'd sign more than that. Which leaves four spots for players we can't get rid of! So we refer to the OUTS: As I figure we will probably be stuck with Stephens and Elyounoussi, then they can pick up 2 spots, and I would give Boufal a go under Ralph's guidance too, which takes us to 24. The 25th spot I would either give to Reed or Hesketh, and because of his versatility, I'd go for Reed.

So the final 25 senior players are: Gunn, McCarthy, New RB, Bertrand, Targett, New CB, Bednarek, Yoshida, Vestergaard, Stephens, New DM, Lemina, Hojbjerg, Romeu, Reed, New AM, Ward-Prowse, Redmond, Armstrong, Sims, Elyounoussi, Boufal, New STR, Ings, Long.

That should at least provide us a stepping stone for a better placed finish next season, with a view of completely getting rid of the deadwood/rot next summer. Of course I've not factored in players that could be wanted by other clubs - Redmond, Bertrand, Ward-Prowse and possibly Lemina will probably have their admirers, with either of the goalkeepers, Hojbjerg or Bednarek possibly left field transfers too. But I feel it should be more about adding to the group this summer, not dismantling it and starting again. However those 5 incoming players would need to be of better quality than what we have already...

RB - Needs to be of first choice quality, or very near potential first choice quality, irrespective of Valery's promise. He needs competition and it will only be good for us in the long term. (Especially if Valery becomes our most sought after player next summer. (Like Wan Bissaka at Palace.)

CB - No brainer we need a first choice, someone that is equally comfortable in the back 3 or in a back 4, and dominant. (In a similar vein to VVD, Alderweireld et al if possible)

DM - A mobile tank - more Wanyama than Schneiderlin. Someone that can shield the defence but get forwards if needed.

AM - A playmaker with goalscoring capabilities. Someone that can change a game. (Even though I've included Boufal, who could still prove a disappointment, I still feel a signing here, even a younger player, would adequately equip us for a full season.)

STR - Someone that can frigging score more than he misses! A target man with mobility. (We can't rely solely on Ings, Long and Obafemi for goals all season!!!)

So there we are - that's my 25. I'm sure it's wildly inaccurate as to what will actually happen but we shall see...