Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,450 of 1568

Thread: Summer Transfer Window 2019

Quote Originally Posted by larryhagman View Post
    Neither Austin or Forster were bad signings, although obviously shouldn't have offered Forster new contract. Compare Austin to Carillo, Bouffal, Elyonoussi, Clasie, Osvaldo, Hoedt, Gabbiadini, Lemina, Cedric
    Gabbiadini only kept us in the league and but a poor decision would have scored a hat trick in the league cup final and possibly won it for us

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TWar View Post
    When people make these lists they always go missing at the end. It's like they have looked at the list and need it to be longer so just clutch at straws. Lemina is a great player with an injury which he will hopefully recover from over the summer and Cedric has been a key fixture of our defence for years, he may not be amazing but he is a firm servant and has done important things for the club.
    Plus Cedric was £4 million, to suggest he is a bad signing is absurd

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Toadhall Saint View Post
    Would imagine this is agent talk. I think there's a reason why our striker target is £15m tops.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAINT View Post
    Would imagine this is agent talk.
    How does 'agent talk' actually work? Why would a professional football club make multi million pound decisions on the basis of rumours?

Default Summer transfer window 2019

Would imagine this is agent talk. I think there's a reason why our striker target is £15m tops.
    Probably - either way I can’t see us matching the asking price. Definitely the attributes RH is looking for tho’.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsaint View Post
    Gabbiadini only kept us in the league and but a poor decision would have scored a hat trick in the league cup final and possibly won it for us
    Quite. I think the problem for Gabbiadini is that he didn't seem to suit the style of play. Given that Pellegrino played sideways slow football, Hughes was a bit more direct and Hasenhuttl plays high pressing counter attack, you might say that his lack of versatility makes him a poor signing, but there was always a sense that we didn't maximise his potential rather than him simply not being very good.

8. Default

Probably - either way I can’t see us matching the asking price. Definitely the attributes RH is looking for tho’.
    Hadn't heard of him until this link. Quick google search and I've read Mainz signed him as an unknown about a year ago although still about £10m. That was the clever scouting, wonder who Reed and Wilson were looking at the time..

Agree with Toadhall, he has height and pace. We only seem to sign shortarses.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    How does 'agent talk' actually work? Why would a professional football club make multi million pound decisions on the basis of rumours?
    Because 'multi-million pound professional football clubs' are NEVER influenced by things agents say....

Yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by tajjuk View Post
    Plus Cedric was £4 million, to suggest he is a bad signing is absurd
    Never said he was a bad siging, just that Austin was a better one

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by larryhagman View Post
    Never said he was a bad siging, just that Austin was a better one
    Considering they were pretty much they were the same price and one was a consistent regular for us who has played over 100 games for the club and gained international honours whilst at the club, and the other has been in and out of the team with injuries and never been that consistent, I'd say that is more than a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Hadn't heard of him until this link. Quick google search and I've read Mainz signed him as an unknown about a year ago although still about £10m. That was the clever scouting, wonder who Reed and Wilson were looking at the time..

Agree with Toadhall, he has height and pace. We only seem to sign shortarses.
    Like what I see on this video. In contrast with say the Che Adams show reel, he looks like he has the ability to create goals out of nothing. Looks a big lad too. Yeah, I know, you need more to go on, but there are youtube videos of players full of near misses, tap ins and dribbles with no end product.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XxJuddK0Yw

Quote Originally Posted by mrfahaji View Post
    Quite. I think the problem for Gabbiadini is that he didn't seem to suit the style of play. Given that Pellegrino played sideways slow football, Hughes was a bit more direct and Hasenhuttl plays high pressing counter attack, you might say that his lack of versatility makes him a poor signing, but there was always a sense that we didn't maximise his potential rather than him simply not being very good.
    he had everything you could want of a striker. Work rate, pace/sharpness, movement and finishing ability. It was incredibly frustrating that it didn't work out here. I have to wonder what happened after the first injury. Did he come back too soon, was he still injured? He looked a completely different player and not in a good way.

Hughes not picking him after a great preseason was also a total mystery to me. By the time he was picked, his form had gone.

If we are going to play a 4-2-2-2 do we need another CD?

Would be happy to start with Bednarek and Vestergaard, with Yoshida as backup and one of our youngsters or even Stephens as a 4th choice CD.

Would rather spend that money on a RB to compete/alternate with Valery, a striker and an attacking midfielder/winger.

Quote Originally Posted by kjurwi View Post

Would be happy to start with Bednarek and Vestergaard, with Yoshida as backup and one of our youngsters or even Stephens as a 4th choice CD.

Would rather spend that money on a RB to compete/alternate with Valery, a striker and an attacking midfielder/winger.
    you think Bednarek and Vestergaard in a two man centre back partnership is good enough to keep us up?

Any combination of 2 of our current centre backs is bad.

Bednarek's touch and composure isn't up to regularly playing out from the back with him as one of a pair, we'd have to kick long and we don't have a big target up top to aim for.

Bednarek + Vestergaard also lacks any pace to cover if we ever play a high line.

Probably the best pair we could go for is Yoshida + Vestergaard and even then I wouldn't be confident.

If we are going 4-2-2-2 we really need a CB.

I have a suspicion that we won't be after a RB in this window. I think with all the attention Valery has been getting in the Echo and Ralph's comments on how hard he is working to improve his weaknesses I doubt he'd be after someone to reduce his first tram opportunities.

Ramsey has also looked pretty good for the u23s at RB towards the end of the season. In the games I watched he seemed to start putting in some decent crosses and making a lot more forward runs. I expect he'll be the backup next year.

Seems a pretty bright and articulate lad as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G04OYyuX4eg

Of course, I could be totally wide of the mark, but that's how the situation seems to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chez View Post
    you think Bednarek and Vestergaard in a two man centre back partnership is good enough to keep us up?
    Yes i do. Wouldn't write it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Useful Idiot View Post
    Any combination of 2 of our current centre backs is bad.

Bednarek's touch and composure isn't up to regularly playing out from the back with him as one of a pair, we'd have to kick long and we don't have a big target up top to aim for.

Bednarek + Vestergaard also lacks any pace to cover if we ever play a high line.

Probably the best pair we could go for is Yoshida + Vestergaard and even then I wouldn't be confident.

If we are going 4-2-2-2 we really need a CB.

I have a suspicion that we won't be after a RB in this window. I think with all the attention Valery has been getting in the Echo and Ralph's comments on how hard he is working to improve his weaknesses I doubt he'd be after someone to reduce his first tram opportunities.

Ramsey has also looked pretty good for the u23s at RB towards the end of the season. In the games I watched he seemed to start putting in some decent crosses and making a lot more forward runs. I expect he'll be the backup next year.

Seems a pretty bright and articulate lad as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G04OYyuX4eg

Of course, I could be totally wide of the mark, but that's how the situation seems to me.
    I think that a Bednarek Vestergaard central defence would be enough for us to stay up. Not saying it wouldn't be nice to have another good CD but i would spend money on other positions first.

Given the amount of young good french strikers that seem to be playing and developing in the bundesliga I'm surprised we haven't looked at someone from the same sources.

We obviously need a new centre back. Fail here and we're in trouble again.

Quote Originally Posted by DT View Post
    I'm sure these would be precisely Ralph's words to Ross Wilson...

Absolutely, we can’t **** up on this position in yet another transfer window.

We obviously need a new centre forward who can score. Fail here and we're in trouble again.

Quote Originally Posted by suewhistle View Post
    I'm sure Manchester United could offer more money, but can we offer a better manager and more development?
    Why would you suppose that we do a better job than anybody else at developing players, there is scant evidence of that in the last 2/3 seasons. This is a myth that needs calling out

Bednarek and Vestergaard were poor when we had three centre backs can you imagine the sh*t show that will unfold when we have two CB with the full backs pushing up

26. Default

There's a reason Ralph has played 3 centre backs nearly all the time so far. It's not because he wants to tactically, it's because he knows our centre backs are not solid or quick enough to play in a back 4 in the prem.

If he wants to move to 4 at the back (which I think he does) then the club need to get him a better quality CB to go with one of the ones we've got.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Did Gao not saying something about recruiting to shore up a leaky defence? That would suggest that a CB, maybe even a DM is on the wanted list

Quote Originally Posted by woodsaint View Post
    Did Gao not saying something about recruiting to shore up a leaky defence? That would suggest that a CB, maybe even a DM is on the wanted list
    Probably talking about his legal team

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Wayman View Post
    Why would you suppose that we do a better job than anybody else at developing players, there is scant evidence of that in the last 2/3 seasons. This is a myth that needs calling out
    Because they'd actually play? As we have seen, a decent run in any side helps players. There would, I very imagine, be less competition in a Southampton side. Or they could go to Chelsea and be one of the 40 players they have loaned out..

We stayed up with Stephens and Hoedt playing a lot of games and Mark Hughes as manager. So yes, Bednarek and Vesterguard are more than good enough to stay up.

Finishing 10th or 11th comes with having weaknesses in the team still. We'd have done than with Ralph all season even with limited CB options.

Blog Entries

We obviously need a new midfielder who can control the centre ground and transition. Fail here and we're in trouble again.

Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    We stayed up with Stephens and Hoedt playing a lot of games and Mark Hughes as manager. So yes, Bednarek and Vesterguard are more than good enough to stay up.

Finishing 10th or 11th comes with having weaknesses in the team still. We'd have done than with Ralph all season even with limited CB options.
    Yeah, but Ralph didn't play a back 4 very often did he? Even though it was his favourite system he mostly went with 3 centre backs because of their weaknesses and when we switched to a back 4 due to injures we didn't win a single game.

Hughes played a back 4 pretty much the first half of the season. That worked well, didn't it?

33. Default

Bednerak and Vestergaard were generally fine, Vestergaard got better as the season went on and I think Bednerak had an excellent season overall.

Main issue for me more was when one wasn't available, Yoshida is a good pro but hes not a great defender and the less said about Stephens the better.

So we need a better one regardless IMO, to challenge Vestergaard and Bednerak, to make sure we have 3 decent centre-backs if we play 3 at the back etc.

Bednerak and Vestergaard were generally fine, Vestergaard got better as the season went on and I think Bednerak had an excellent season overall.

Main issue for me more was when one wasn't available, Yoshida is a good pro but hes not a great defender and the less said about Stephens the better.

So we need a better one regardless IMO, to challenge Vestergaard and Bednerak, to make sure we have 3 decent centre-backs if we play 3 at the back etc.
    Win percentage when Verstergaars starts 34.8%
    Wins percentage when he doesn’t 6.7%

Win percentage when Stephens starts 10.5%
    Win percentage when he doesn’t 36.8%

Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Turkish View Post

Coincidence?
    Absolutely this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also don't think Bednarek and Vestergaard together in a two works well as both have a major lack of pace.

37. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Also don't think Bednarek and Vestergaard together in a two works well as both have a major lack of pace.
    Indeed. We play 3 at the back to largely to cover deficiencies of individual defenders.

A new defender pretty much needs to combine height & speed for Ralph to use 4-2-2-2.

They won’t be cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctoroncall View Post
    We obviously need a new midfielder who can control the centre ground and transition. Fail here and we're in trouble again.
    not mutually exclusive to CB position, but marginally less crucial since we have Hoj, Lemina, Romeu. But yes, an enforcer here would be good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    We obviously need a new centre forward who can score. Fail here and we're in trouble again.
    also true but less important (marginally) than CB

40. Default

also true but less important (marginally) than CB
    Would agree with this, largely because others can chip in with goals.

Nobody can really cover a class centre-back.

Indeed. We play 3 at the back to largely to cover deficiencies of individual defenders.

A new defender pretty much needs to combine height & speed for Ralph to use 4-2-2-2.

They won’t be cheap.
    That's true if we buy an established CB. There must be decent CB's around. Previously we've found Killer, Dean Richards even VVD was only 12 million.

Coincidence?
    Must be. Stephens is better than Maguire, as one pointed out a season or 2 ago.

FWIW, I think we need to replace Romeu as well. Massively overrated, bang average other than 1 decent season under Puel, where pretty much anyone could have done his role

Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    Yep, which is why Yoshida, for all his deficiencies (although he put in a number of storming performances last season), is still an important defender for us, as he is the only one who can cover the ground quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by SKD View Post
    Must be. Stephens is better than Maguire, as one pointed out a season or 2 ago.

FWIW, I think we need to replace Romeu as well. Massively overrated, bang average other than 1 decent season under Puel, where pretty much anyone could have done his role
    100% this on Romeu, lovely guy but one of the reasons we conceded so many was the defence having no protection as he was run passed so easily. A number of his yellow cards must have been from being run passed so easily. Need a Wanyama type to play alongside Hojbjerg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why in this day and age are people still clinging on to the hope that Stephens will be any good.

If we are serious, we need 2 new centre backs and to get shot of Stephens and Yoshida.

I do like Yoshida but unless he plays every week he's prone to a mistake. I'd be happy with him as 4th choice.

Coincidence?
    interesting. Any percentage stats focusing on those two players but also adding in the extra element of us playing two or three centre backs?

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoom View Post
    That's true if we buy an established CB. There must be decent CB's around. Previously we've found Killer, Dean Richards even VVD was only 12 million.
    CB seems to be the achilles heal of most teams, probably because it is very hard to find a player that is good in the air, strong, fast, great positionally and comfortable on the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post

I do like Yoshida but unless he plays every week he's prone to a mistake. I'd be happy with him as 4th choice.
    we have a squad full of 4th choice centre backs IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by LeG View Post
    If we are serious, we need 2 new centre backs and to get shot of Stephens and Yoshida.

Plenty of mistakes then.