Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

Mepham did not come off after 20 minutes because he was playing poorly he did very little wrong, he came off because Bournemouth's formation wasn't working.

Eddie Howe... "Tactically we weren't where we needed to be. Chris [Mepham, substituted for Ryan Fraser after 23 minutes] unfortunately was sacrificed for the team. We were much better for the change."

But he was playing poorly.

Average would be a massive upgrade on our defenders.

Didn't Bournemouth pip us to Chris Mepham in January (apparently)? He's been absolutely hopeless - dragged off after 20 minutes of pure clownery against us.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Heard he's been mixed but at times very good.. won their March player of the month

If your wife cheated on you, then left you for a richer man, but then wanted you back after she got old and he found a better model, would you take her back?

No from me, not the player he once was proven to be mentally weak and a bottler. He’ll still do a job at PL level, but let him go to Bournemouth or West Ham.

We can do better.

Depends how good looking she is

Despite our intention to bring in young players "who want to hunt"' date=' I think there's still a space (need?) in our squad for an older, more experienced head who can provide leadership and/or calm things down. We're a side who lost 29 points from winning positions past year and this is something we've sorely missed since Steven Davis started to drop out of the side more frequently. We do have Long and Yoshida as older players but the former surely won't be a starter next season and the latter's propensity for the odd gaffe is hardly calming for a jittery enough side already. I'd have him back now he's acknowledged the way he left wasn't great (and presumably the forum gets THEVMAN back too?).[/quote']

At what price though? And on what wages? Sure many of us would take him back for £5m and £20k pw wages. But at £15m and £100k pw?what if he wants that for 3 years? Would you recommend club gets lumbered with paying £100k pw to a 34 year old with a poor injury record? Would you want us to pay £80k? £60k?

That’s before we consider the opportunity cost. Buying Lallana means we aren’t buying someone else.

Despite our intention to bring in young players "who want to hunt"' date=' I think there's still a space (need?) in our squad for an older, more experienced head who can provide leadership and/or calm things down. We're a side who lost 29 points from winning positions past year and this is something we've sorely missed since Steven Davis started to drop out of the side more frequently. [/quote']

I agree with this sentiment, aside from the fact that Davis was a complete powderpuff on the ball and cost us many points by either losing the ball or being to slow to close down, even when allegedly in his pomp.

At what price though? And on what wages? Sure many of us would take him back for £5m and £20k pw wages. But at £15m and £100k pw?what if he wants that for 3 years? Would you recommend club gets lumbered with paying £100k pw to a 34 year old with a poor injury record? Would you want us to pay £80k? £60k?

That’s before we consider the opportunity cost. Buying Lallana means we aren’t buying someone else.

Nail on the head for me. I’m not against Lallana returning for any other reason than the commercials simply don’t add up.

He has literally only just turned 31, but with his injury record I can’t see us getting any return on a £13million outlay.

I think he’s a tough buy at £13m for any club, especially with his wage demands.

At £5-£6m and 40-50k wages over 3 years it seems something I’d think about but not at prices quoted

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1128994/Arsenal-Manchester-City-Southampton-Joe-Aribo-Charlton-transfer-news

Arsenal and Man City set to be stunned as Southampton boss Ralph Hasenhuttl eyes Joe Aribo

SOUTHAMPTON are set to make a move for highly-rated Charlton Athletic midfielder Joe Aribo after watching him help the Addicks reach the League One play-off final.

Not really, they were being overrun in midfield and bringing Fraser on and changing the formation improved things for them.

He wasnt great and hasnt set the world alight at bournemouth. People will talk about us missing out on Mepham and Kelly but tbh we were probably never interested. All agent talk to speed up the transfer

Kompany just became available ;)

No chance obviously but people do keep saying we need a leader! Would be an incredible bit of business.

I reckon he’ll end up in the MLS or back in Belgium

No chance obviously but people do keep saying we need a leader! Would be an incredible bit of business.

I reckon he’ll end up in the MLS or back in Belgium

He is the new Player/Manager of Anderlecht

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

He is the new Player/Manager of Anderlecht

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yeah just seen that pop up. I hope he does well, the history of Player-Managers isn’t exactly awash with successes but as anyone who watched City documentary on Amazon can attest to, he’s a pretty inspirational bloke.

Sims has had plenty of chances, he isn’t good enough

He is when he comes off the bench and in any case, he's had nowhere near as many chances as Gallagher who people STILL seem to think is going to be World Class for some reason.

Wolves hitting Rondon's £16.5m release clause apparently. Would like to think we'd be able to rival them to be our first choice rather than their second, but probably not. No real reason why he'd choose us over Newcastle any more either.

Didn't realise Che Adams was only 5'9 as well, wouldn't mind us having someone up top alongside him who can actually hold a ball up/win a header.

Hopefully we are back in for Joakim Maehle. He was our no1 target in Jan. He's a beast. Lightening quick, can defend, cross, and has the physicality to flourish in the PL. Not sure if the emergence of Valery will change our stance on him, but we still need to sort RB....watch this space!
Personally feel Valery has done more than enough to go into next season as a starter. Wonder if Maehle would be happy to compete?

Personally feel Valery has done more than enough to go into next season as a starter. Wonder if Maehle would be happy to compete?

Valery has done well but if Ralph wants to play a 4-2-2-2, we can't have enough full-backs. That formation is particularly taxing for fullbacks - far more so than even a 3-5-2.

Might need to sort out our left back problem too as Targett wants out and he is hoping Fulham come back in for him as he just wants first team football.

Currently on holiday in the US with some Fulham players.

that could be a blessing, but of course depends on the quality of player we bring in. Someone of a similar age but with a bit more pace.

Hopefully we are back in for Joakim Maehle. He was our no1 target in Jan. He's a beast. Lightening quick, can defend, cross, and has the physicality to flourish in the PL. Not sure if the emergence of Valery will change our stance on him, but we still need to sort RB....watch this space!
Yes please. I think he can play further forward as well - there's a touch of the Bales about his powerful running - so there'll be times when he and Valery can play together.

Don't see any harm in having two quality players for one position - lack of competition for places is a breeding ground for complacency.

If the price is right - say, similar to what we might bring in for Cedric- it'd be stupid if Saints passed, fearful of Valery having to fight for his place.

Might need to sort out our left back problem too as Targett wants out and he is hoping Fulham come back in for him as he just wants first team football.

Currently on holiday in the US with some Fulham players.

Shame we missed out on Lloyd Kelly, then, for a similar price we might've expected to get for Targett.

Could Vokins step up next season, as Valery did, and be a viable back up to Bertrand? He's certainly trained a lot with the first team squad since Hasenhuttl took over.

Valery has done well but if Ralph wants to play a 4-2-2-2, we can't have enough full-backs. That formation is particularly taxing for fullbacks - far more so than even a 3-5-2.
Yes, definitely need two good ones. Makes you wonder why full backs don't work harder on their weaker foot. Think how many more games someone like Targett could have played if he wasn't so one footed!

I imagine we will either go back for Maehle, or, if we feel Valery is established, might go for a cheaper option who is more clearly backup rather than competition.

Yes please. I think he can play further forward as well - there's a touch of the Bales about his powerful running - so there'll be times when he and Valery can play together.

Don't see any harm in having two quality players for one position - lack of competition for places is a breeding ground for complacency.

If the price is right - say, similar to what we might bring in for Cedric- it'd be stupid if Saints passed, fearful of Valery having to fight for his place.

Two quality players for each position? We don’t even have one for most of them.

Right it wouldn’t be a transfer window without the SaintsWeb tradition,

What date will we make our first signing?

I’m going for a solid June 1st

August 31 with the entire month filled by video promos and previews to hype it up...It'll be Stuart Taylor back again.

Yes, definitely need two good ones. Makes you wonder why full backs don't work harder on their weaker foot. Think how many more games someone like Targett could have played if he wasn't so one footed!

I imagine we will either go back for Maehle, or, if we feel Valery is established, might go for a cheaper option who is more clearly backup rather than competition.

There was an article a while back which made it sound like most things had already been agreed with Maehle before Genk decided they wanted to keep their team together. They won the Belgian league so fair play to them. Does make me think that if we wanted to do the deal now it could be done quickly, but of course there's always the threat that another club come in waving cash around (looking at you, Everton).

I asked a Genk fan what he thought of Maehle, his response was "He is a tall and fast, so a bit like Meunier from PSG. Defending could be better, but he's still young. I think that he will be in the Premier league next season."

I'd still like him, especially in mind of what shurlock says above (someone else also pointed out that Hasenhuttl has liked to rotate his FBs in previous jobs), but if our funds are limited, can we justify spending a large chunk on a player who might not play that much? Doesn't matter whether we have Maehle or Valery if they're playing next to Jack Stephens...

As an investment it makes sense though - if both players get game time, no reason why we can't sell one off for a decent amount - having Clyne and Chambers playing in that position didn't do us much harm.

On one hand, rightly or wrongly, the common view is he left badly and therefore there is bad blood, so even if we accepted him back he's one bad game away from being hated even more.

On the other hand, he's past his best, will likely have high wage demands, and seems to have ongoing injury problems.

I don't see why we'd be interested? Even without the history, would he be somebody we'd be interested in to improve our first 11? It's a no from me.