2019/20 - Other Games

Batman

Absolute joke. Var is killing football.

Should take it from foot positions, not leading edges of extended bits of hand or arm. Pukki’s feet were about 20 cm behind the defender’s. Therefore He was stood behind the defender when the ball was played.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should take it from foot positions, not leading edges of extended bits of hand or arm. Pukki’s feet were about 20 cm behind the defender’s. Therefore He was stood behind the defender when the ball was played.

It should be clear and obvious. It wasn't clear and it certainly wasn't obvious so the referees decision should stand. Mental to call that offside and var has not got rid of controversy.

All that does it shift the measuring of millimetres to somewhere else... that cat is out of the bag now with VAR! All because the linos/refs/officials have been appalling in recent years!

MOTD is going to have a field day tonight.

3 of these today.

Brighton

Palace

Norwich

Offside was designed to prevent goal hanging, not supposed to be measured as precisely as this. VAR should only be intervening when a clear mistake has been made like that David Silva 6 yards offside bull**** against us a few years back.

3 of these today.

Brighton

Palace

Norwich

Offside was designed to prevent goal hanging, not supposed to be measured as precisely as this. VAR should only be intervening when a clear mistake has been made like that David Silva 6 yards offside bull**** against us a few years back.

All three of them should have been goals tbh.

Great bounce back for Leicester today. Was a real test for them after City n Liverpool results + Vardy out.

Said it before, but what a great job Rodgers has/is doing. 2nd in the league half way through the season - WOW

On the flip probably sees the end of Pellegrini at West Ham

Great bounce back for Leicester today. Was a real test for them after City n Liverpool results + Vardy out.

Said it before, but what a great job Rodgers has/is doing. 2nd in the league half way through the season - WOW

On the flip probably sees the end of Pellegrini at West Ham

It has been a vintage season so far, almost on a par with the 2015/16 season. Leicester, Man City and Wolves are all playing highly entertaining, attacking football but Liverpool are the best team in the world and as many pundits have said, one of the best teams this country has ever seen. I watched Wolves beat Man City the other night and what a great game that was.

Anyone else think Kane just fell over the defender? VAR review barely looked at it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

No that was a clear pen, it was clever by Kane the little drag back did the defender with ease and he basically cleaned him out.

Don't get all the moaning about VAR, offside is offside, doesn't matter if it's a knee or 10 yards, you'd complain if they gave the ball not the wholeway across the line as a goal, so what difference is offside?

The right decisions are being made, it's the only clear cut bit of VAR.

VAR is doing exactly what is says about offside,

if a part of the body that you can legally score with is beyond last man by

even a mm then it's offside, it's simple as that

Does anyone know the accuracy of the system? I honestly don't believe it can be accurate down to 1mm, that must be within the error in which case the attacker should get the benefit.

The way VAR is going I honestly don't know what the point of having on field officials is? I must be getting old but it's sterilising the game for me.

Does anyone know the accuracy of the system? I honestly don't believe it can be accurate down to 1mm, that must be within the error in which case the attacker should get the benefit.

The way VAR is going I honestly don't know what the point of having on field officials is? I must be getting old but it's sterilising the game for me.

It’s nowhere near that accurate. I would put it at more than a hundred times worse than that. And don’t forget that the freeze-frame that they use doesn’t accurately show the moment that the pass is made and you have further error.

If VAR must be used then it should be for very obvious mistakes such as Gabbi’s disallowed effort at Wembley.

But that's the problem, it is not as simple as that. The VAR tools are not completely accurate, and it is impossible to determine exactly when the ball was kicked. The real problem is that VAR is trying to accurately measure something that is immeasurable and should not be measured in the first place. The whole point of the offside rule is to prevent an attacking player gaining an unfair advantage. The law was changed only back in 1990 to bring in the concept of the attacking player being level with the 2nd last defender. It was introduced in the days before the technology, and was a judgement call, it was thought that this was easier to determine and from the point of view of a linesman's eye it was. But "level" was never meant to be a scientific factor. There is no advantage of having the width of your toenail in front of a defender, or your nose or your armpit. The IFA need to change the offside law so that it is based more on "gaining an advantage", and allow the linesmen to do their job and make the judgement call without the use of VAR. No problem with VAR for other parts of the game, but to use it for offside using the current offside rule is stupid.

Not even convinced VAR got it right yesterday with the Zaha incident, think we got lucky there. Cannot see what part of Zaha they considered was in front of what part of Stephens, but that's a different argument. As Danny Mills said on MOTD 3 good goals were wiped off yesterday in the PL, we should be encouraging more goals not taking them away, none of the three were scored due to any tangible unfair advantage to the attacking player.

He was offside by a fraction. The Norwich one was ludicrous. It's the application of VAR that is at fault on these. Ie it's still refs making mistakes. It should be done to favour goals and perhaps only judging legs/feet? Seems ridiculous when it's a fingernail

And don’t forget that the freeze-frame that they use doesn’t accurately show the moment that the pass is made and you have further error.

It's amazing how little focus there is on the point of contact with the ball from the through ball. Getting that right is essential to knowing the outcome, yet there seems little scrutiny or time taken to determine that.

He was offside by a fraction. The Norwich one was ludicrous. It's the application of VAR that is at fault on these. Ie it's still refs making mistakes. It should be done to favour goals and perhaps only judging legs/feet? Seems ridiculous when it's a fingernail

so he was Offside you are either offside or onside if you are only a bit offside you are still offside. Offside should bee easy, especially with new technology, it should be black and white like a throw in or a corner.

It's amazing how little focus there is on the point of contact with the ball from the through ball. Getting that right is essential to knowing the outcome, yet there seems little scrutiny or time taken to determine that.

Do we know that? I assumed they froze the image when the ball is kicked and then zoom in on the players who could be offside and check. either way its still got to be more accurate than a bloke with a flag who is frequently failing to keep up with play or distracted by a passing pigeon. VAR is here because linesmen and Refs where missing so many calls in the first place.

Yes, true. A least they use the 'rocker' in cricket, running it forwards and backwards. Works well.

so he was Offside you are either offside or onside if you are only a bit offside you are still offside. Offside should bee easy, especially with new technology, it should be black and white like a throw in or a corner.

yes. as i said, he was offside, by a fraction. ergo offside.

It's not easy at all. Needs to take into account moment ball is kicked and multiple players, and players are rather nebulously shaped compared to a sphere (ball) or a straight line. Then the nebulous shape only has parts that count (legal goal scoring parts), the pitch is not flat and then the frame length of a TV camera has to be considered. The answer should be to remove the need for VAR for offside by easing the definition of offside to focus more on the 'gaining an unfair advantage' rather than trying to precisely measure something that is imprecise by definition.

I think they should only judge the offside on the part of the body used after the pass is played. That way a the concept gaining an advantage is paramount. For example, if the players feet are onside when the pass is played and he only uses his feet after the pass then he should be onside.

It's not easy at all. Needs to take into account moment ball is kicked and multiple players, and players are rather nebulously shaped compared to a sphere (ball) or a straight line. Then the nebulous shape only has parts that count (legal goal scoring parts), the pitch is not flat and then the frame length of a TV camera has to be considered. The answer should be to remove the need for VAR for offside by easing the definition of offside to focus more on the 'gaining an unfair advantage' rather than trying to precisely measure something that is imprecise by definition.

Yes

They should still use VAR to freeze the moment if it is close, but, crucially, then allow the referee to make the decision, viewing it pitch side, as to whether the attacker gained an unfair advantage or not.

If a sensible change in the offside rule is required for that then so be it.

To be fair it doesn’t have to be that precise. If you are giving the benefit of doubt to the attacker then you freeze it when there has obviously been contact with the ball (probably a split second after the ball has been struck).