Saints vs Cardiff - Build up

SuperSAINT

Surprise, surprise. No sign of Ings in any of the training photos. Bertrand looking involved and Austin is the first photo in the gallery, not sure if that holds any relevance.

He came off Saturday with a reoccurrence / continuation of his hamstring problem I thought. Not surprised he’s not training yet if that was indeed the case. Frustrating, but to be expected in the circumstances.

Surprise, surprise. No sign of Ings in any of the training photos. Bertrand looking involved and Austin is the first photo in the gallery, not sure if that holds any relevance.

Yep, I am thinking Austin goes into the lineup instead of Long (assuming Ings is out). The pictures never lie!

Is he still our leading goalscorer ?

He is, but I think 3 of the 7 were penalties, so has his return warranted a £20m fee based on appearances made/goal contribution- I’d suggest no, but I suppose this is the new era of transfer fees and that is what £20m gets you. I suppose I’d have rather paid £20m for Ings than £19m for Solanke

He is, but I think 3 of the 7 were penalties, so has his return warranted a £20m fee based on appearances made/goal contribution- I’d suggest no, but I suppose this is the new era of transfer fees and that is what £20m gets you. I suppose I’d have rather paid £20m for Ings than £19m for Solanke

You are probably right. But we will know in about 12 months who has the best deal

I'm certainly interested to see how Solanke gets on, he's obviously got huge potential, but may be like another Ibe.

Ings is better now, but his fitness has to be a concern - It's no real surprise, but he misses too many games. Not like he just picks up 1 or two injuries a season then he's fit for 10 weeks, it seems that he cant stay fit for longer than 4/5 games max.

4-0 saints.

We are going to batter someone soon.

Those were the days. I can't remember the last time I went to the game feeling relaxed that we were going to get the result. It's Cardiff, it's Warnock, it's the type of game where we should feel comfortable - but you just know that we are going to just about scrape the draw.

I hope that you are right, but it's been a long, long time since we really won this type of pressure game comfortably.

Yep. If we aren't committed to sign him I'd rather we pull out of that deal. He's lost some pace and doesn't play enough.

Far rather get Ralph's first choice forwards. Ings, Long and Austin out in the summer, 2 decent forwards in. Happy to have Obafemi and Gallagher as back up but we need better quality starting next season.

Yup,

I'd be happy with:

Augustin

Adams

Obafemi

Gallagher

Yep. If we aren't committed to sign him I'd rather we pull out of that deal. He's lost some pace and doesn't play enough.

Far rather get Ralph's first choice forwards. Ings, Long and Austin out in the summer, 2 decent forwards in. Happy to have Obafemi and Gallagher as back up but we need better quality starting next season.

So would I but sadly we are.

Agree with this mostly. Would like to see Austin, Long and Carrillo leave permanently and sign that Augustin for around £25m

I would actually keep Ings because when he does play he is a very good player.

A lineup of Augustin, Ings, Gallagher and Obafemi is decent.

Yep, I am thinking Austin goes into the lineup instead of Long (assuming Ings is out). The pictures never lie!

Why would he start the striker he was prepared to let go over the one he wanted to keep ? Ralph has already said he's an impact player for him as he doesn't really have the fitness to play his style of game from the start .

Agree with this mostly. Would like to see Austin, Long and Carrillo leave permanently and sign that Augustin for around £25m

I would actually keep Ings because when he does play he is a very good player.

A lineup of Augustin, Ings, Gallagher and Obafemi is decent.

I'd disagree, that's 2 unproven players and one who is regularly injured. I'd be happy with that but someone stronger in place of Gallagher.

Am I the only one who can see bit of an upset and us losing here? We haven't been convincing at all in the last couple of games and Ings is looking out.

Hassenhuttl has worked wonders so far but we are hugely lacking in rb and up front. Definitely not as safe as some seem to think.

Am I the only one who can see bit of an upset and us losing here? We haven't been convincing at all in the last couple of games and Ings is looking out.

Hassenhuttl has worked wonders so far but we are hugely lacking in rb and up front. Definitely not as safe as some seem to think.

Oh I think many have expressed their concern for this one. A revitalised and galvanised Cardiff side (after recent events plus Niasse coming in) and we are going to be missing one or two first choicers.

I was quite calm about our chances of survival until this morning when I looked at our and Cardiffs fixtures. Saturdays game really is a must win if we lost then I cant see us coming back again, especially as Ings is out for a few weeks when we have some winnable games. If we win I can calm again but it seems we have quite a period of a winnable game followed by a mountain to climb. I feel their run in is softer than ours

I was quite calm about our chances of survival until this morning when I looked at our and Cardiffs fixtures. Saturdays game really is a must win if we lost then I cant see us coming back again, especially as Ings is out for a few weeks when we have some winnable games. If we win I can calm again but it seems we have quite a period of a winnable game followed by a mountain to climb. I feel their run in is softer than ours

Hopefully those that are there appreciate the vital need of 3 points and can find a bit of that spirit from the Dell relegation end-of-season battles when the fans made such a difference. They'll be 3,000 united and noisy taffs there on Saturday who are building this up as a massive game, we'll need our support 100% from the start.

Agree.

We have some real fanny's on here. Some of you need to grow a pair. Support the team ffs.
Absolutely. Some suggesting that we "haven't been convincing" the last two games. Rubbish. They obviously haven't been at the last two games. Fought back to get a draw against a useful Palace team. Easily matched Burnley, who are on a good run, and only lost to a last minute pen that shouldn't have been given because Crouch was already fouling.

And that was without Hojbjerg, Yoshida, Lemina, Bertrand, Obafemi and for most of the second game, Ings.

Get behind the team! The atmosphere at SM is still poor, especially if things aren't going to plan. Too many ready to jump straight on the critical moaning bandwagon instead of encouraging the team on.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Some suggesting that we "haven't been convincing" the last two games. Rubbish. They obviously haven't been at the last two games. Fought back to get a draw against a useful Palace team. Easily matched Burnley, who are on a good run, and only lost to a last minute pen that shouldn't have been given because Crouch was already fouling.

And that was without Hojbjerg, Yoshida, Lemina, Bertrand, Obafemi and for most of the second game, Ings.

Get behind the team! The atmosphere at SM is still poor, especially if things aren't going to plan. Too many ready to jump straight on the critical moaning bandwagon instead of encouraging the team on.

Have you considered that people sharing their thoughts on an up-coming game has little correlation with the atmosphere at SM and the the way people support the team? If we all post that we will win every game and definitely won't get relegated, will that help?

It's about time we injected some quality into the starting 11, so Bertrand simply HAS to start, it's a complete no brainer, especially considering the way we play. Missing Ings is just par for course at the moment. On paper it's an extremely weak team, but thank **** for RH.

Based on that I'd hope we bring in Bertrand, Yoshi, Hoj and Gallagher for Targett, Stephens, Slattery and Ings.

He wont, it'll likely be just Hoj and Long coming in but that's what I'd do.

Gallagher instead of Long definitely. But I'd have Yoshi on the bench, he's probably still a bit knackered.

Have you considered that people sharing their thoughts on an up-coming game has little correlation with the atmosphere at SM and the the way people support the team? If we all post that we will win every game and definitely won't get relegated, will that help?
I didn't post that we will win every game. I posted that I'd like to see more positivity in St Mary's and patience when it's tight to break a team down.

McCarthy

Yoshi, Bednarak, Vestergaard

Valery, Romeu, Hoj, Berty

Redmond, Long, Armstrong

Good shout but I'll be surprised is either of Yoshida or Bertrand start. Bench for at least Yoshida, though.

And I can't see JWP being left out. Think he'll replace either Valery or Armstrong, or a left-field idea, instead of Long with Redmond the striker.

Good shout but I'll be surprised is either of Yoshida or Bertrand start. Bench for at least Yoshida, though.

And I can't see JWP being left out. Think he'll replace either Valery or Armstrong, or a left-field idea, instead of Long with Redmond the striker.

That's the team I want to see; but we certainly need to have more attacking players as Cardiff won't be easy to break down.

Valery wasn't great against them last time, so perhaps we'll see Stephens at RB and a 4 at the back.

Macca

Stephens, Bednarak, Vestergaard, Berty

Romeu, Hoj, JWP

Remond, Long, Armstrong

I don't along to many Saturday games due to still playing league football, however it's my sons birthday this weekend so we are both going. I actually cannot remember the last time i physically saw Saints win a Saturday game that i attended......sorry guys it's my fault if we lose.

I'm haunted by this fixture in 2014 on my birthday. Lost 1-0 and ruined my f*cking day!

I'm haunted by this fixture in 2014 on my birthday. Lost 1-0 and ruined my f*cking day!

yep remember that day, biggest smash and grab at SMS of the season that was.

I remember losing all hope though when we brought on Guly that day to try and save the match :lol:

McCarthy

Bednarek

Stephens/Yoshida

Vestergaard

Bertrand

JWP

Romeu

Hojbjerg

Armstrong

Redmond

Gallagher

3-5-2

Subs: Gunn, Stephens/Yoshida, Targett, Valery, Slattery, Long, Austin.

I'd go for Gallagher as I feel Austin is a better option from the bench. Long was dreadful when he came on for Ings on Saturday. JWP at RWB purely because Valery had a shocker against Murphy in the reverse fixture and I genuinely don't think he's good enough yet. Predicting a 2-0 win.

I'm not an Austin fan, far from it.

But in a game like this he is the best option to start IMO.

We will have most of the ball, little space to run in behind and in the box Austin is far better than Long, Gallagher etc.

That's true, but we also need movement to create space for chances, and Charlie doesn't really do moving.

That's true, but we also need movement to create space for chances, and Charlie doesn't really do moving.

He does in the penalty area. He won't need to press as Cardiff we play long anyway.

Long is useless against deep lying defences as his touch is obviously dreadful.

Gallgher isnt a genuine option to start such a big game.

Austin a no brainer IMO.

He does in the penalty area. He won't need to press as Cardiff we play long anyway.

Long is useless against deep lying defences as his touch is obviously dreadful.

Gallgher isnt a genuine option to start such a big game.

Austin a no brainer IMO.

It's a bit harsh to suggest Charlie lacks a brain. [emoji6]