Saints vs Cardiff - Build up

SuperSAINT

That's true, but we also need movement to create space for chances, and Charlie doesn't really do moving.

I imagine Ralph will recognise that attempting to get Charlie running round at every opportunity may well be counter productive. Not everyone can do what Ralph wants and for now he's stuck with the players he has. Let Austin read the attacks and place himself intelligently. He CAN do that.

His last game was half way across the globe. The current back three have been doing ok recently, so I'd ease Yoshi back in after this match.

It was in UAE. 7 hours in business class drinking G&T and watching movies is a gruelling encounter but I’d say he’s had enough time to recover.

He does in the penalty area. He won't need to press as Cardiff we play long anyway.

Long is useless against deep lying defences as his touch is obviously dreadful.

Gallgher isnt a genuine option to start such a big game.

Austin a no brainer IMO.

Austin's movement in the final third is good, everyone has said that. He makes good runs, and of course if he gets on the ball he is always a threat. Its just the other 2/3 of the pitch that is the problem :)

I think vs Cardiff, and likely some others, Austin could be the choice. Especially after Long's play last week. Ralph will probably play who the match dictates. High pressing, counter play, that will be Long as the starter.

In the second part of the presser Ralph all but confirmed the back 5 will be the same.

Said he has been happy with Stephens and Yoshida knows he won't automatically come back in.

Assume the same with Bertrand from what he said.

Two little wins, two little tiny wins against Cardiff and Fulham, and we can leave February on 30 points and looking up not down.

But we're Saints. We don't do things the easy way. While I've predicted 3 points against both, I'm just as confident in our ability to **** it up. We can only hope there's enough Hasenhuttl effect left to counteract our "Saintsness". Cardiff have the Sala effect too, they'll be well up for this game. IMO a draw is not good enough for us.

Yoshida and Hojbjerg back will be huge defensively, but the question is, do we have enough in attack to score the goals without Ings?

We we will see.

I think the sad confirmation of Sala's body being found may give Cardiff an extra boost.

There's no way we're winning this game, sadly.

It will certainly boost their vocal support, the media will be focused on them for the next few days and they'll probably rise to that. Saturday just got a bit tougher, time for our support to step up.

In the second part of the presser Ralph all but confirmed the back 5 will be the same.

Said he has been happy with Stephens and Yoshida knows he won't automatically come back in.

Assume the same with Bertrand from what he said.

Just caught up with Press Conference, which was an impressive performance by the manager. Ralph said they have been working to improve in defence and although he was pleased at having Yoshida back, and Betrand available, he was clear that doesn't want to change the back five for this game. As a manager who gets more out of players by encouragement and advice, it makes good sense to continue with the players currently holding the shirts. His praise for Jack Stephens was striking. A player who was often criticised on the forum by fans who didn't think he'd make the grade, Stephens is fulfilling the promise he was showing when he joined the club as a 17-year old. Ralph also defended him over the penalty at Burnley, saying that Jack only put his arm up to let the ref know about Crouch pulling his shirt.

It will be a tough game against Cardiff, with the emotion that is understandably about, but the match being at St Mary's should be a great help. It would have been far more difficult in Cardiff. The bottom line is that we are the better team and despite missing some forwards we still have proven goalscorers to play up front. Confidently expecting to win this.

He does in the penalty area. He won't need to press as Cardiff we play long anyway.

Long is useless against deep lying defences as his touch is obviously dreadful.

Gallgher isnt a genuine option to start such a big game.

Austin a no brainer IMO.

It’ll probably be Austin but I’d prefer gallagher. Ralph has hardly been shy of giving players starts.

Just caught up with Press Conference, which was an impressive performance by the manager. Ralph said they have been working to improve in defence and although he was pleased at having Yoshida back, and Betrand available, he was clear that doesn't want to change the back five for this game. As a manager who gets more out of players by encouragement and advice, it makes good sense to continue with the players currently holding the shirts. His praise for Jack Stephens was striking. A player who was often criticised on the forum by fans who didn't think he'd make the grade, Stephens is fulfilling the promise he was showing when he joined the club as a 17-year old. Ralph also defended him over the penalty at Burnley, saying that Jack only put his arm up to let the ref know about Crouch pulling his shirt.

It will be a tough game against Cardiff, with the emotion that is understandably about, but the match being at St Mary's should be a great help. It would have been far more difficult in Cardiff. The bottom line is that we are the better team and despite missing some forwards we still have proven goalscorers to play up front. Confidently expecting to win this.

Interesting on Stephens - ive been defensive of him prior to now but is ralph saying he deliberately raised his arm to signal to teh ref. If so... silly boy... get on with it, clear the ball, youre a defender. Have a moan at the ref after if you want but dont go playing games in the 18 yrd box. Basics first

so that means there will be a minutes silence etc etc. All gives a depressing feel to a game.

More likely a minute's applause but will just have the effect of pumping up their fans another notch. Let's hope all the attention's is a bit too much for them. Will be nervy if it's all square going into the last few minutes.

I think the sad confirmation of Sala's body being found may give Cardiff an extra boost.

Similar situation when Kiyan Prince, QPR youth player was stabbed and died back in 2006, next game was v Saints at Loftus Rd, we all thought the same that we would lose but we won 3-0 Raziak missed at least 5 sitters, QPR were abject that day, not surprising sadly.

Similar situation when Kiyan Prince, QPR youth player was stabbed and died back in 2006, next game was v Saints at Loftus Rd, we all thought the same that we would lose but we won 3-0 Raziak missed at least 5 sitters, QPR were abject that day, not surprising sadly.

It was Ray Jones

I think Hoj makes a massive difference to us. Him and Austin in for Slattery and Ings. Bertrand to come off the bench later on. 1-0 saints.

I'm with this. If there's a banker to start Austin this season it's got to be Cardiff at home. So don't bet against Ralph starting with Marcus Barnes. Trust the manager - he seems to know what he's doing.

Would certainly be good to see Bertie back for the last twenty mins too...

Despite the Sala effect and the positivity that Warnock gives Cardiff, I just can't see Cardiff doing the double on us.

If Stephens held his hand up to appeal in the penalty box in the last minute of play, with us in the lead, then he is much more stupid than I thought. Really think he should be dropped for this one and replaced by Yoshi. Madness not to.

If it had been one of our players who had died I imagine the misery guts on here would explain how the death had such an effect on our players that we couldn't possibly win.

Batman would probably start a thread saying that we would never win again ... ever.

It was in UAE. 7 hours in business class drinking G&T and watching movies is a gruelling encounter but I’d say he’s had enough time to recover.

Depends how many G&Ts he had. :p

Anyway, looks like Ralph is keeping the same back 3. After Vestergaard's howler against Cardiff, Ralph kept him in and the player responded with good performances. Looks like he's going to do the same thing with Stephens (although Stephens didn't do such a howler).

so that means there will be a minutes silence etc etc. All gives a depressing feel to a game.

More likely a minute's applause but will just have the effect of pumping up their fans another notch. Let's hope all the attention's is a bit too much for them. Will be nervy if it's all square going into the last few minutes.

Thought we dealt with this v Palace.

Similarly, Cardiff will have shown their respects at Arsenal, and last week at home to Bournemouth.

Sounds like Austin WILL be a definite starter. Then we need decent crossers of the ball to reach him. Long landed the last one on his head, so maybe him. JWP and Targett crossing from the wings? Redmond fizzing around the statue ... sorry, that's rude, Austin.

Lol. Long hits a lazy, hopeful chip which the keeper makes a mess of and suddenly he's worth a place in the team for his crossing skills?

:lol:

I agree with the idea of having JWP as wing back though.

This, the whole thing is mawkish nonsense

hugely oversimplified - if a geezer at scott_saints place of work died i doubt it would be covered by the press in such a way, covered on football forums in such a way etc. Its a different situation - its big news and accordingly has deeper ramifications. Im not saying i agree with it all by any stretch but to think the situations are entirely comparable is silly. The players will feel the emotion in the crowd regardless of their opinion. The manager was in tears at the end of the game - rightly or wrongly is irrelavant - it makes a difference

This.

Very uncomfortable about the personal mourning of celebrities. The emotional over reactions for people who are not personal acquaintances or relatives and have died is baffling.

Remember reading how this Leicester fan couldn’t attend work when their owner died in October :rolleyes:

Our beloved cat was put to sleep on 21st December....i'm going to request a minute's applause on 12 minutes (December), 19 minutes (her age) and 21 minutes (date).

Doubt you'll get very far. Mine couldn't even clap when it was alive, no matter how much I asked.

Defining game of the season IMO. Everyone reckons Cardiff are poor and certs for the drop,let's now see what we do against them on home turf.

Yep.

Must win.

This cuts right through the RH niceties and soundbites and gets straight to the heart of it. Have to win.

Big game.

hugely oversimplified - if a geezer at scott_saints place of work died i doubt it would be covered by the press in such a way, covered on football forums in such a way etc. Its a different situation - its big news and accordingly has deeper ramifications. Im not saying i agree with it all by any stretch but to think the situations are entirely comparable is silly. The players will feel the emotion in the crowd regardless of their opinion. The manager was in tears at the end of the game - rightly or wrongly is irrelavant - it makes a difference
Why would you be more emotional about someone you never met dying just because it's been on a few forums and in the news? If anything, something like that just makes them seem more remote.

Don't see any point in starting long against a team that sits deep- so start Austin. Be great to see Bertrand straight into the XI.

Not a must win like some are saying but clearly a big game. Definitely a game to start JWP at Rwb again.

1-0 saints (Redmond)

Why would you be more emotional about someone you never met dying just because it's been on a few forums and in the news? If anything, something like that just makes them seem more remote.

It’s not just a few forums though is it. It’s very big international news. I’m not saying I agre with it but you shouldn’t deny it exists. I didn’t go to line the street for princess dianas funeral, I didn’t take flowers for princess Diana, I was sad for the children as much as I would be and o es really who lose a mother, especially at a young age but I felt no need for a huge grief outpouring. But.... thousands did and the situation does exist. Whether we have done connection to celebrities that is out if proportion because we think we know them somehow I don’t know (I assume so as otherwise marketing with celebrities wouldn’t make a difference) but either way - just because you do t feel it (and I don’t!) it does still exist.

Their manager was in tears last game over it. If their manager is that impacted he can impact them with emotion.

For what it’s worth I don’t think thevfindingvof the body will have the same impact, if sbythjngvit provides a closure.

I reckon 3-0 saints. PEH, redmond and Stephens

I'm more in the 'very much could do with a win and must not lose' camp than the 'have to win or we're down' camp. Obviously nervous, not just due to the result, but also the mood it sets for the training camp and next two games.

Remember thinking after Brighton that was going to cost more than those two dropped points due to the tone it would set and think proved to be the case. Although the bad run saw the back of Hughes and introduction of Ralph so maybe for the best after all.

Despite the nerves, I think we'll win. Cardiff haven't been as bad as some make out, but are still not a very good team. Not having Ings doesn't help but I think we'll get the win. Rarely bet, but I have a feeling Armstrong will score. No idea why, but might just stick a few quid on it.