Shane Long

Sheaf Saint

What is even the point of having him on the pitch anymore? He doesn't have the pace he used to, and that was his only positive attribute. Without it he is not even a L1 level player.

He contributed literally nothing when he came on today. And the way he surrendered possession every time we managed to clear the ball up to him while under intense pressure towards the end was pathetic.

I get that the objective for the January window was to clear some dead wood, but why is this fraud of a footballer still here?

What is even the point of having him on the pitch anymore? He doesn't have the pace he used to, and that was his only positive attribute. Without it he is not even a L1 level player.

He contributed literally nothing when he came on today. And the way he surrendered possession every time we managed to clear the ball up to him while under intense pressure towards the end was pathetic.

I get that the objective for the January window was to clear some dead wood, but why is this fraud of a footballer still here?

we needed a forward (and a RB). That was clear as day. Why we never got any, I will never know.

Massive gamble really

Absolutely agree with everything written in the above posts.

Long is absolutely useless and getting worse.

He really has no footballing attributes at all.

Running fast in a straight line is not enough!

He and Austin need emptied out, there joint contributions today were totally forgettable.

Long ultimately not doing his job cost us.

I thought at the time we sold Rodriguez that it should have been Long who went. I'd still rather have Rodriguez in our team. He's a much better footballer and a more prolific goal scorer. He'd have been a great signing in the January window but probably out of our price range.

You assume that Rodriguez wanted to stay at Saints.

Him and Austin literally did nothing all game. Austin only came on for the last 10 mins or so but Long really was terrible.

Does anyone know if we have recall options on Carrillo and Boufal? Ralph said he wanted a look at them, I assumed that meant now. We are looking threadbare in attack now. If Ings is out more than in, Austin and Long embarrassingly past it, it doesn’t leave us much.

Does anyone know if we have recall options on Carrillo and Boufal? Ralph said he wanted a look at them, I assumed that meant now. We are looking threadbare in attack now. If Ings is out more than in, Austin and Long embarrassingly past it, it doesn’t leave us much.

Don't recalls have to be done in January these days?

No and RH said he will in the summer. Personally I think he’ll keep Boufal but dispense of Carrillo.

I think fans should think before slagging players off. We need Long and Austin to keep fighting for the cause not feel that their own are against them or n this run in survive the drop. The club decided not to get anybody in and so we have got what we’ve got.

I think fans should think before slagging players off. We need Long and Austin to keep fighting for the cause not feel that their own are against them or n this run in survive the drop. The club decided not to get anybody in and so we have got what we’ve got.

You're right Nick. Let's ban anybody from posting any criticism whatsoever and start new threads dedicated to how absolutely wonderful all of our players are. After all, that's what fan discussion boards are there for, right?

:mcinnes:

What, you think he'll stop scoring if he gets criticized?

No but perhaps it’s best not to lower our own players confidence, especially as we need them

Confidence has never been Shane's problem. A basic lack of ball control and shooting ability has. A few negative comments on an online fans forum are not going to have any influence on that.

He may not be the best, but he has sweated blood for us.

Has he really though? Any more than any other member of the squad who can run fast? People see what they want to see sometimes - Boufal is a flashy foreign moaner who can't defend and has no work ethic, despite the fact that he tracks back as aggressively when he loses the ball as any attacker we've had in the PL years. Long is a salt-of-the-earth sweating blood type, despite the fact that all he does is make the same curved pressing run to absolutely no effect. And yesterday at times he was just plain lazy, not picking himself up, not making the run to the corner. He's dire, and the instinct to defend players of his type is one of the reasons we've ended up with a squad full of one-paced, technically limited mediocrities.

Having a player of the abject quality of Long as a long-term key member of the squad has been an embarrassment for the club.

Well, at least we agree on something. ;)

Has he really though? Any more than any other member of the squad who can run fast? People see what they want to see sometimes - Boufal is a flashy foreign moaner who can't defend and has no work ethic, despite the fact that he tracks back as aggressively when he loses the ball as any attacker we've had in the PL years. Long is a salt-of-the-earth sweating blood type, despite the fact that all he does is make the same curved pressing run to absolutely no effect. And yesterday at times he was just plain lazy, not picking himself up, not making the run to the corner. He's dire, and the instinct to defend players of his type is one of the reasons we've ended up with a squad full of one-paced, technically limited mediocrities.

Having a player of the abject quality of Long as a long-term key member of the squad has been an embarrassment for the club.

My “has” was very much past tense, I think he is finished, but I don’t think he deserves abuse, that’s the point I was trying to make.

Long had an unusual off day yesterday in terms of his usual 110% energy level. He's never going to be a goal scorer or top class. But he does offer something no-one else has, genuine pace. But he was poor yesterday and seemed to be just trying to win free kicks and complaining.

He may not be the best, but he has sweated blood for us.

Has he sweated blood anymore than someone working 40 hours per week in a job they don't like to support the club? I don't really think so. He gets paid in 2 days what most people here earn in a whole year, do you really think he's put in more effort than anyone in the stands?

I don't think anyone old suggesting giving him grief in games or in the street, but we can still discuss how playing him is like having 10 men on the pitch. His job in the team is to score goals, and 4 goals in 78 games would get most of us sacked if we were that bad at our job.

At that rate we only have to wait another 18 games until his next goal......

do you think Long/Austin give a rats arse what us no-marks say on a football message board?
I believe that if he or family or friends would not like it. I don't care how much you earn you cant help but be hurt by your own so called fans. You only have to the slightest negative thing about our fans and everyone gets all precious and

I must say, some of your ideas about Stephen Davis used to baffle me, but on most other topics, including Shane Long you are right on the mark. It is bewildering the Club has kept such a limited player for so long. Tolerable perhaps if we had a couple of fit, talented strikers and a good wide player or two; but when someone like Long is almost your only option along with Austin, then it's hard not to be scathing of the Club's recruitment and scouting.

Legs are going. He can't do the only thing that he is remotely good at anymore.

If our survival is dependent on a waning Shane Long leading the line, we're stuffed.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Long is only playing because Obafemi is injured. Ralph is clearly frustrated at losing Oba.

Long is only playing because Obafemi is injured. Ralph is clearly frustrated at losing Oba.

I think the point stands - if we’re relying on the totally unproven Obafemi (who’s had a couple of ok-ish appearances but not even anywhere near Ings) or Long... Jeez... Hoping Hojbjerg, Redmond and Lemina back and at their best ASAP!

Confidence has never been Shane's problem. A basic lack of ball control and shooting ability has. A few negative comments on an online fans forum are not going to have any influence on that.

I can't understand how someone can be a professional footballer, mostly in the Premier League, for over 10 years and still have terrible ball control.

Reminds me of seeing Fabrice Fernandes trying to head a football - when a technical skill is so obviously missing, why aren't they (the players or the coaches) working on it at every opportunity? To me it suggests they don't care enough to be better at what they do.

I can't understand how someone can be a professional footballer, mostly in the Premier League, for over 10 years and still have terrible ball control.

Reminds me of seeing Fabrice Fernandes trying to head a football - when a technical skill is so obviously missing, why aren't they (the players or the coaches) working on it at every opportunity? To me it suggests they don't care enough to be better at what they do.

Conner wickham

James McLean was another

There players out there who steal a living

I believe that if he or family or friends would not like it. I don't care how much you earn you cant help but be hurt by your own so called fans. You only have to the slightest negative thing about our fans and everyone gets all precious and

He is earning what most of us only dream about. He chose to do that in an "entertainment" industry, putting his ability to entertain in front of the public. Plenty of other entertainers have been booed of their stages and careers ended when failing to give the public what they are paying for.

Oh but of course football is different, we must be loyal, we must be true fans, blah blah.

Long has gone backwards for sure , his first touch saturday was crap and he wasnt closing down well or holding up the ball at all ....actually at least Austin can hold a ball up and play up so Austin over Long currently , although Gallagher can do both so why not , he needs a run out from the start and the other two dont fill me with any confidence at all

Long has gone backwards for sure , his first touch saturday was crap and he wasnt closing down well or holding up the ball at all ....actually at least Austin can hold a ball up and play up so Austin over Long currently , although Gallagher can do both so why not , he needs a run out from the start and the other two dont fill me with any confidence at all
Actually, Charlie is not that good at holding up the ball

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk