Danny Ings

JxgrSaint

If 16m gets you dross like Hoedt, Carillo and Elyounoussi then I don't think the Ings fee is overly ridiculous.

They might be crap but at least their bodies aren't held together by gaffer tape and string.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

One four bedroom detached house for sale.

Never been used.

Yep, looks like the house has been gussied up by a professional scattering a few clothes and shoes around. So where's he actually living?

The furnishings, I thought, made it look a bit like I imagine a high class brothel might be. The sort Trump would like.

Yep, looks like the house has been gussied up by a professional scattering a few clothes and shoes around. So where's he actually living?

The furnishings, I thought, made it look a bit like I imagine a high class brothel might be. The sort Trump would like.

He lives there, with his mate.

If you were on £70k a week and were trying to sell a house for £2.5m, would you not get it professionally cleaned to look the best it possibly could?

P.s nothing to read into him selling up. I believe he has been getting his own built.

He lives there, with his mate.

If you were on £70k a week and were trying to sell a house for £2.5m, would you not get it professionally cleaned to look the best it possibly could?

P.s nothing to read into him selling up. I believe he has been getting his own built.

at last someone with a bit of savvy and all spot on

Some absolute drivel on this thread.

Maybe is just doing what everyone else does without suspicion and moving to a different property in the place that he lives? One that is better or suits his lifestyle more.

He is from the area and will probably always have a house here regardless of where he plays football. I assume he had this house for a while before being a Saints player, so not sure its anythig apart from a personal matter of where to live.

Also, I have read nothing to suggest that we won't sign him permanently.

I have read loads that suggests that is a formality including annoucements from both Saints and Liverpool.

If 16m gets you dross like Hoedt, Carillo and Elyounoussi then I don't think the Ings fee is overly ridiculous.

It is when the player in question has a history of injury. Its one thing to buy a 20million player and then have him get injured that's just bad luck its completely different to spunk 20 million on a player with a well publicised history of major injuries. I like Ings he's a good player but we aren't really a club who can afford to be carrying a record signing player who will give you half a season if you are lucky. (or sending them out on loan because they aren't good enough) our transfer dealing recently have seen us waste a lot of money and Ings is another example of that unless we somehow get some full seasons out of him.

He's a good player, best striker we have by far.

Shame he has had a number of niggles but having not kicked a ball for the best part of 2 seasons, to be expected. Was a huge gamble for the club, but so far with no knee injuries, has worked out not bad. Fingers crossed he can play a big part in the run in.

Still have concerns about the obligation to buy mind.

It is when the player in question has a history of injury. Its one thing to buy a 20million player and then have him get injured that's just bad luck its completely different to spunk 20 million on a player with a well publicised history of major injuries. I like Ings he's a good player but we aren't really a club who can afford to be carrying a record signing player who will give you half a season if you are lucky. (or sending them out on loan because they aren't good enough) our transfer dealing recently have seen us waste a lot of money and Ings is another example of that unless we somehow get some full seasons out of him.

He's obviously had the two very serious knee injuries but Transfer Markt suggests that he does pretty well on the injury front other than that or are these stats a load of BS? They certainly don't include much of the treatment table time he's had in his short time with us.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/danny-ings/verletzungen/spieler/134294

They might be crap but at least their bodies aren't held together by gaffer tape and string.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Errr weird logic....

They don’t ever play because they are useless, st least Ings plays and plays well as and when it’s better than never !!!

Stretch calling that Botley BTW. Estate Agent clearly doesn't want it associated with the huge new housing development in Boorley Green (which is where it actually is).

Definitely looks like a show home but image potential buyers don't care about the obvious lack of books on the book shelf in the office, they want the whole luxx/ 4 seasons look. Disappointed not to see a full size snooker table in there with a bar and collection of framed shirts and various sporting memorabilia such as signed boxing gloves though, thought all footballers had a room like that FFS

• 1 month later...
Its not about giving him a chance or not rating him - its the unnecessary massive gamble with the large cost that annoys me.

It was a last minute panic buy and we had our pants fully pulled down by Liverpool again.

His or our insurance is irrelevant to our football success - it wont get us points or score us goals. its just a payout once Ings and Austin have another almost inevitable layoff.

Liverpool fans can wax lyrical about him too buts its difficult to see how the Liverpool fans can truly and fairly judge a player with just 435 minutes of premier league football in 3 seasons. That's less than 5 games in 3 seasons and somehow Liverpool have managed to triple the transfer fee they paid for him!!

Even Carrillo managed more premier league minutes with us (450) during his short (unsuccessful) stint.

I cant think of any player (ever) that has played the equivalent of 5 league games in 3 years and been sold/bought for £20+ million??

Got stick for this, but seems I was right.

Was always a huge gamble.

If we can get a loop hole (aka the reverse Alderweireld) then we need to find it fast.

If we can get a loop hole (aka the reverse Alderweireld) then we need to find it fast.

Why do you think that you have been proved right? Why resurrect this old inaccurate post unless it is yet another example of your negative attitude to the club that you claim to support.

For his man of the match display against Wolves alone (watch the highlights or catch up on the Motd pundits comnents) you can see why we have done well to get Ings.

£20 million does not get you much these days and we have done well to get him.

Why do you think that you have been proved right? Why resurrect this old inaccurate post unless it is yet another example of your negative attitude to the club that you claim to support.

For his man of the match display against Wolves alone (watch the highlights or catch up on the Motd pundits comnents) you can see why we have done well to get Ings.

£20 million does not get you much these days and we have done well to get him.

No way should Ings be getting another season in our first team. So injury prone he completely kills any chance of us getting any consistency in the attacking third. Two weeks in and one week out, two weeks out and one week in. And when he is in sometimes he is really good, but more often he isn't. We can do far better. I thought he was on loan with a 20M option to buy?

Good player but just too injury prone, not what we need. Another bad call by the board. Hopefully there's a get out clause, but as Walter White has said, how can you possibly justify the fee for the amount he has played the last few seasons??

Would still like us to take a punt on Domenico Berardi

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Good player but just too injury prone, not what we need. Another bad call by the board. Hopefully there's a get out clause, but as Walter White has said, how can you possibly justify the fee for the amount he has played the last few seasons??

Would still like us to take a punt on Domenico Berardi

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Unfortunately it looks like we are obligated, just another in a long line of c*ck ups.

Ings will spend the 2018-19 campaign on loan at Southampton before a £20 million transfer kicks in on July 1, 2019, a source has told ESPN FC.

The source added that the fee will include £18m guaranteed with a further £2m in add-ons based on appearances. Liverpool also have inserted a 20 percent sell-on clause.

The move was confirmed on Thursday evening, having gone down to the wire on transfer deadline day.

Southampton submitted a deal sheet just prior to the Premier League's 5 p.m. deadline, granting them an extra two hours to finalise a switch.

Ings, who has signed a four-year contract at St. Mary's, has been desperate for regular game-time after an injury-ravaged spell at Liverpool.

For me, when fit, he's shown flashes of quality & I always felt next season should be the one we judge him on. After 2 injury ravaged seasons, I thought this one might be a bit stop-start and, as his body got used to the rigours of training & playing regularly again, there would be the odd niggle which kept him out from time to time. Time will tell whether the £20m we're giving Liverpool will turn out to be good value but I think I'll reserve judgement until next season. What would help would be better support up front. A pacey option would allow him to drop deep & slide balls through; a more physical presence would allow him to try to find space playing off the target man.

Worth cutting a bit of slack for now, IMO.

For me, when fit, he's shown flashes of quality & I always felt next season should be the one we judge him on. After 2 injury ravaged seasons, I thought this one might be a bit stop-start and, as his body got used to the rigours of training & playing regularly again, there would be the odd niggle which kept him out from time to time. Time will tell whether the £20m we're giving Liverpool will turn out to be good value but I think I'll reserve judgement until next season. What would help would be better support up front. A pacey option would allow him to drop deep & slide balls through; a more physical presence would allow him to try to find space playing off the target man.

I agree with this, IF the premise that he will improve physically is correct. But we don't know and, depending on our overall budget, it could be a costly gamble. I do like him as a player and his ability to drop off and create chances is very useful.

I do like ings, think he has a top attitude and when on form is a class above the rest of our options, however, his fitness is showing no signs of improving, and it's not just the lack of availability, it's the fact that he naturally takes time to get back up to speed after a break. When he has a break every third week or so it becomes impossible so you're just left with a lesser player.

Quite frankly, sturridge, welbeck or Andy Carroll would all be just as useful. All available on a free, all likely to want high wages, and all either injured or not quite on top form due to recovering from injury most of the time ... Maybe we should sign them all up. Together with ings we'd probably have at least one fit each week.

Agree, I also think the Hughes set him back, I don't think the squad fitness levels under him were good enough and this IMO resulted in Ings dropping off sharpness and leading to him to picking up knocks. When he then came back under Ralph he was basically having to start again like he needed a pre-season.

When he joined from Liverpool, with a their pre-season, IMO he looked the sharpest and fittest in the squad, and showed that in the first few games but then standards dropped.

I'd like to see him after a full Ralph pre-season, with new additions around him to see how he goes. He's a clever player and fits the system well, presses well, and has the ability to drop deep and link play. I just think his stop start season has meant we haven't seen him at his best most of the time.

Agree, I also think the Hughes set him back, I don't think the squad fitness levels under him were good enough and this IMO resulted in Ings dropping off sharpness and leading to him to picking up knocks. When he then came back under Ralph he was basically having to start again like he needed a pre-season.

When he joined from Liverpool, with a their pre-season, IMO he looked the sharpest and fittest in the squad, and showed that in the first few games but then standards dropped.

I'd like to see him after a full Ralph pre-season, with new additions around him to see how he goes. He's a clever player and fits the system well, presses well, and has the ability to drop deep and link play. I just think his stop start season has meant we haven't seen him at his best most of the time.

I agree. The way that he started the season showed of what he is capable. Didn't he have a bet with Mo Salah as to who would get the most goals this season ? The way he started he stood a good chance of winning it.

Let's hope a good pre season with us will see a return to that sort of form.

Wishful thinking I suspect. Perhaps the much simpler explanation is that all players start the season fresh but over the course of it, will tire and pick up knocks (see Tadic’s comments about the PL). Most players can deal with this; but for a player like Ings who has a long record of injuries, unfortunately that dropoff is much steeper.

Ings sadly is in the list of players that could do a good job if they could ever stay fit long enough to get match fitness and form...Sturridge, Carroll, Wellbeck, Wilshire players who never reach their potential because of constant injuries.

A modern and upgraded version of David Connolly then.

For £20m I suspect Ralph could recruit better, but under Les Reed's recruitment and negotiation we did a lot worse for similar amounts (Carillo at £19m).

If Reed left us an opt out I'd look to exploit it, but doesn't look as if he did. I agree a fit version of Ings could be a tremendous asset but it's questionable if we'll see one.

Edited by Badger

All Ings' injuries have been muscle injuries this season, which points towards Hughes and lack of a pre season. I imagine Danny will hugely benefit from a Ralph pre season.

To the extent he was with Liverpool all summer -and supposedly they do things right and Hughes does everything wrong, he had a full preseason. Then again he did miss their trip to the US because he was suffering from foot blisters and picked up an ankle problem in their opening friendly of the summer. But of course that has nothing to do with a player who’s rather more injury prone :lol:

Ings had two serious long term injuries at Liverpool which is different to the smaller niggly injuries he's had this season. People saying he's injury prone are conflating two different things.

You do realise that previous knee injuries (i.e. a torn ACL) are a risk factor for future recurrent hamstring problems (though admittedly studies that have found a relationship are based on pretty small sample sizes)?

Edited by shurlock

You do realise that previous knee injuries (i.e. a torn ACL) are a risk factor for future recurrent hamstring problems (though admittedly studies that have found a relationship are based on pretty small sample sizes)?

There is also the fact that peoples soft tissue can have different grades of strength and recovery meaning one can be prone to soft tissue injuries, and he unfortunately seems to be.

Yep agree 100%, this is saints we are talking about, not Wolverhampton Wanderers.
I'm so jealous of all the £20m back-up strikers Wolves have signed.

Just remind me what their names are, again?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

No I'm not schooled in that stuff so thanks, that's helpful.

Is it not still the case though that although he had had two serious injuries when we signed him, it wasn't inevitable that he would be injury prone for the rest of his career? And while it looks bad now that we've seen his problems this season, it is also not inevitable that he will have the same sort of season next time round?

No I'm not schooled in that stuff so thanks, that's helpful.

Is it not still the case though that although he had had two serious injuries when we signed him, it wasn't inevitable that he would be injury prone for the rest of his career? And while it looks bad now that we've seen his problems this season, it is also not inevitable that he will have the same sort of season next time round?

Of course, its not inevitable. Nothing's inevitable per se. But having two major injuries (as well as various other ailments) increases his risk of experiencing future injuries.