Callum Slattery - Official: Signs for Motherwell

SuperSAINT

Thought he deserves his own thread after making his 1st Prem start at the weekend.

Ralph really seems to rate him.

“He showed that he is another young guy that has maybe a big future in this team. I wanted to give him the chance to play from the beginning in a Premier League game”

How did he do yesterday?

I thought he was pretty good. Calm on the ball and kept it fairly simple. No glaring mistakes and got forward into promising positions once or twice.

Not challenging Romeu or Hojbjerg (or Lemina if/when he's back), but for a debut, encouraging.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Made some decent runs off the ball in the first half but didn't quite get on the end of anything.

Seemed to be tidy enough on the ball without really doing anything noticeable with it.

Didn't put in any memorable challenges.

Flagged in the last 15 minutes or so.

I haven't seen anything that stands out in his game as a strength other than his off the ball movement.

I thought he was pretty good. Calm on the ball and kept it fairly simple. No glaring mistakes and got forward into promising positions once or twice.

Not challenging Romeu or Hojbjerg (or Lemina if/when he's back), but for a debut, encouraging.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

With Lemina being out & JWP taking a wing-back spot on occasion, it's been handy to have somebody else step up.

Hope he does well.

For a 19 year old, he doesn’t look bad at all. Especially stepping straight into the center of midfield.

Hojbjerg was older than that that when we signed him, and he’s come a long long way in that time.

I need to see more of Slattery to get a real opinion, but he’s definitely promising.

If I remember correctly, wasn't there a story a while back saying that Arsenal were wanting to sign him from us when he was 15 or 16 years old? Or did I imagine that? Have been following his progress ever since. Glad he's now made the step up to the senior squad.

If I remember correctly, wasn't there a story a while back saying that Arsenal were wanting to sign him from us when he was 15 or 16 years old? Or did I imagine that? Have been following his progress ever since. Glad he's now made the step up to the senior squad.

He was; got a feeling he's an Arsenal fan, too.

This is what was ringing a bell...

https://metro.co.uk/2015/03/22/arsenal-and-bayern-munich-are-interested-in-young-southampton-midfielder-callum-slattery-5115569/

Arsenal are plotting another raid on Southampton – this time for promising midfielder Callum Slattery. Having already snapped up Callum Chambers and constantly linked with Morgan Schneiderlin in recent months, the Gunners are now keen on taking the England Under-16 international to the Emirates, according to reports. This is on top of also plucking Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain from the south coast club over the years. However, any move for Slattery is likely to be countered by Bayern Munich, who are also keen on the player and are understood to be ready to test Saints’ resolve in the summer.

Was that before he got an injury keeping him out for a year? For a while when i went to u23 and youth cup games he was a name always mentioned as next one for the conveyor belt of talent, will be great if he makes it.

He had a good spell in the second half where he seemed to find his confidence and started knocking the ball about well, but the first half passed him by entirely, and he was AWOL in the last ten minutes when we were under the pump.

One thing that has bothered me in his handful of appearances thus far is that he's either incredibly unfit or incredibly lazy as opposition players were able to run past him with total ease and he'd let them go without breaking into more than a jog.

I don't think it's a good sign for a young midfielder to be seemingly indifferent to working hard out of possession.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

Great! We've got another emerging from our Academy for our 'fans' to mock and ridicule. Why do they expect the finished super star product in the first match--or even in the first year?
What are you talking about you strange person? Academy products get more support than any other players.

I thought he started slow but grew into the match. In the end he did ok. He's a young guy who did ok, and will hopefully get better. However I am a little amazed at the amount of hoopla his play has gotten. He was ok and is promising. To me thats it.

Couple of times he nipped in with important interceptions yesterday and grew into the game. Hopefully he can keep growing, we need him to!

Yes, I noticed him popping up in dangerous areas and calmly winning the ball. Thought he had a decent game myself, and didn't look out of place considering it was his full debut.

He did fine and I love the fact that our club is once again giving the academy players a chance to prove themselves rather than wasting millions on under performing imports. Despite only drawing on Saturday, it was a good result and to have 5 academy players in the starting line up is something that should be applauded (plus 3 more on the bench) and is obviously the way forward for a club like Saints who don't have limitless foreign cash to invest in the team. Slattery played very responsibly and seems to have a good footballing brain. However, I would have taken him off for the last quarter as he was looking a bit tired and would have kept Armstrong on. Thought that was a mistake by Ralph and maybe cost us the lead. I don't think we're going to get relegated and if we do survive with this squad, it can only get better as the younger members improve with experience.

He had a good spell in the second half where he seemed to find his confidence and started knocking the ball about well, but the first half passed him by entirely, and he was AWOL in the last ten minutes when we were under the pump.

One thing that has bothered me in his handful of appearances thus far is that he's either incredibly unfit or incredibly lazy as opposition players were able to run past him with total ease and he'd let them go without breaking into more than a jog.

I don't think it's a good sign for a young midfielder to be seemingly indifferent to working hard out of possession.

You are not really allowed to post negative things about young players coming through, but I agree with this totally. Hopefully its just fitness, which can obviously be improved. If its laziness then that might be harder to adjust. I was very surprised he was not subbed on Saturday.

I see lots of over hyping going on.
Go on say something good about the academy it won't bring you out in a rash...although ex-seaman used to those.

Who would you have played with Lemina and Hojberg out and has covered last few games ?

How does he get experience and learn not being on pitch?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Go on say something good about the academy it won't bring you out in a rash...although ex-seaman used to those.

Who would you have played with Lemina and Hojberg out and has covered last few games ?

You're wasting your time with that one. Everything the club does is wrong in his eyes. He was probably carping about Shaw and Chambers in the same way.

You forgot to mention Deadwood. That’s his favourite word right now.

I see lots of over hyping going on.

I don't. Haven't seen the game yet, but it seems most people are saying, and I paraphrase, reasonable performance for his starting debut and looking forward to improvement.

I wonder if Ralph kept him on when he was tiring to show him exactly what it was like, and to underline the need for fitness improvements.

I don't. Haven't seen the game yet, but it seems most people are saying, and I paraphrase, reasonable performance for his starting debut and looking forward to improvement.

I wonder if Ralph kept him on when he was tiring to show him exactly what it was like, and to underline the need for fitness improvements.

Good point.

Giving a 19 year old his debut away at Burnley shows the faith Ralph has in him too.

Great! We've got another emerging from our Academy for our 'fans' to mock and ridicule. Why do they expect the finished super star product in the first match--or even in the first year?

Because some of our 'fans' have a bad dose of the English disease called negativity, Symptoms are short term vision.

Because some of our 'fans' have a bad dose of the English disease called negativity, Symptoms are short term vision.

I am lost.

Most who post on here are like you, as you say.

Some e.g. (to quote from the above) are non-committal or perhaps somewhat critical. Which makes sense if, as some have said he either didn't work hard enough, couldn't work hard enough because his level of fitness isn't high enough if that is the case, and didn't do a great deal e.g. there was nothing in his play to indicate that he was in any way anything other than quite ordinary. Criticism is a good thing.

I understand, as do many, that he has been considered a very good prospect for a long time. That he hasn't really played much and that Burnely is a good test of what is required. From what I've seen of him I've been unimpressed and I've watched what I can of all of the under 18s and 23s/21s over the last few years because it's interesting to see who's coming through and what you see of them. That's why I rate O' Connor and Barnes (although post injury he seems possibly a little off it; at one time he looked like he could be a player) and Gallagher and don't rate e.g. Obafemi as much.

Finally, I do presume you don't mind being English rather than e.g. the good old 'happy clapper' American, do you? Your post seemed to indicate that.

It's not criticism per se but how it's couched. So when Shurlock, for example, says his fitness was lacking a bit I take it seriously as he is a poster with a useful contribution to make. Also there is no hint of eternal damnation like some on here, but would seem to be an area of improvement. It's constructive criticism, in other words.

Others here I just finished incredibly tiresome with their attitudes, no names no pack drill, but they're like dripping taps.

It's not criticism per se but how it's couched. So when Shurlock, for example, says his fitness was lacking a bit I take it seriously as he is a poster with a useful contribution to make. Also there is no hint of eternal damnation like some on here, but would seem to be an area of improvement. It's constructive criticism, in other words.

Others here I just finished incredibly tiresome with their attitudes, no names no pack drill, but they're like dripping taps.

People (like you) seem to get annoyed when people (like me) suggest he should not be in the team

We are deep in the poo and should not be in the position to ‘see if a kid can cut it’

We are in that position because of a dire January window where we once again, allowed a player to leave whilst failing (despite trying) to get in a replacement

But that makes me and others have an attitude of some sort

People (like you) seem to get annoyed when people (like me) suggest he should not be in the team

We are deep in the poo and should not be in the position to ‘see if a kid can cut it’

We are in that position because of a dire January window where we once again, allowed a player to leave whilst failing (despite trying) to get in a replacement

So with PEH and Lemina both injured, and JWP being used to fill in at RWB, who else would you have played in Slattery's place on Saturday?

Should we have signed someone in the January window to cover in that position just on the off-chance we found ourselves with 3 senior players who can play there being unavailable?

Ultimately, we will never know if Slattery will come good if we never give him the chance to. I saw enough promise from him to think he is a more than capable 4th choice CM for a team in our position.

So with PEH and Lemina both injured, and JWP being used to fill in at RWB, who else would you have played in Slattery's place on Saturday?

Should we have signed someone in the January window to cover in that position just on the off-chance we found ourselves with 3 senior players who can play there being unavailable?

Ultimately, we will never know if Slattery will come good if we never give him the chance to. I saw enough promise from him to think he is a more than capable 4th choice CM for a team in our position.

We should have signed a right back.

We all know it and so does the club as they tried

If we are in deep poo, I would suggest that is because at the beginning of December we had a handful of points. It is nothing to do with not replacing a right back who did not start any match under Ralf. What a right back replacement has to do with a 19 year old midfield debutante God (and Batman) only knows.

The subject of a Cedric replacement is becoming an obsession for you. Get over it !!

But what's that got to do with Slattery? Who did we let go in January that we should have replaced and would then have been in the team instead of Slattery. Are you suggesting we should not have let Davis go and that we tried to replace him? Very odd, don't think many here will agree with that idea. As far as I can see the only players we tried to bring in and failed were a RB (the Danish guy at Genk to replace Cedric) and the striker from Brum (to replace Gabbi I suppose). Your attiitude problem is that you (appear to) criticise players for no justifiable reason, seemingly for bbeing that have come through the Academy, which is very odd for someone who claims to support Saints (I really don't know whether you do). Most Saints supporters tend to support Academy players, it is after all where mny of our club "heroes" have come from in the past (if not the Academy then our youth). Bringing through young homegrown players was once what this club was all about, with a smattering of outside superstars to make it work. Thats why Channon, Le Tissier, Holmes, the Wallaces, even Shearer, Benali, Dodd are held in high regard by true Saints supporters. Slagging off nearly every kid that comes into the team because you have a problem with thte club's transfer activity is just plain stupid, and it ****es people off. You still haven't answered who you would have played instead of Slattery on Saturday. The only option that was available seems to be Moi, who has proved once again that bringing in expensive signings doesn't work more often than it does. Flop after expensive flop. Give the kids a go is my view, most of them are certainly no worse than some of the ones that we got rid of, or even some that are still here (Long).

• Lighthouse changed the title to Callum Slattery - Official: Signs for Motherwell