Callum Slattery - Official: Signs for Motherwell

SuperSAINT

People (like you) seem to get annoyed when people (like me) suggest he should not be in the team

We are deep in the poo and should not be in the position to ‘see if a kid can cut it’

We are in that position because of a dire January window where we once again, allowed a player to leave whilst failing (despite trying) to get in a replacement

But that makes me and others have an attitude of some sort

We all know that we didn't sign anyone. We all know that you think that we should have, you keep saying. We are where we are, so who rather than Slattery do you say should have played against Burnley.

We should have signed a right back.

We all know it and so does the club as they tried

Yes, you're right. We should have, and we tried to.

And if we had done, then maybe we wouldn't have had to play JWP there on Saturday, but the RB situation is what it is, whether we like it or not.

So I'll ask you again - who would you have had at CM instead of Slattery, given the players available for that position?

So with PEH and Lemina both injured, and JWP being used to fill in at RWB, who else would you have played in Slattery's place on Saturday?

Should we have signed someone in the January window to cover in that position just on the off-chance we found ourselves with 3 senior players who can play there being unavailable?

Ultimately, we will never know if Slattery will come good if we never give him the chance to. I saw enough promise from him to think he is a more than capable 4th choice CM for a team in our position.

JWP in Slattery's place, and Cedric in JWP's RB place.

Also, Gabbi in Long's place.

Don't forget Kevin Keegan in Ing's place. And I always preferred Flowers instead of McCarthy. No idea why we let him go.
Brian O'Neill, Ivan Golac and MacDougall for me who are just as stupid selections as his given the circumstances.

We don't have a pot to **** in needed to trim the wage bill .

We ALL wanted a full back and striker we couldn't get them hence gambling on youth.

This still has nothing to do with Slattery and who we could select last Saturday that they are ignoring.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Don't bother reading Saintsweb that often anymore. Just always seems to be the usual suspects trotting out the same tired old guff over and over again.

Then saw a thread called "Callum Slattery" and thought it'd be worth a look. Possibly containing some hope and positivity for a young man with undoubted potential.

Nope. Same bickering tw ats.

Don't bother reading Saintsweb that often anymore. Just always seems to be the usual suspects trotting out the same tired old guff over and over again.

Then saw a thread called "Callum Slattery" and thought it'd be worth a look. Possibly containing some hope and positivity for a young man with undoubted potential.

Nope. Same bickering tw ats.

Yes but in their defence you cant call the thread Bickering Tw ats as it would get too confusing having 30 threads of the same name but not being sure what slightly different things they are bickering about

To be fair, if Slattery had just made his debut for any of the top 6 clubs, the media would be absolutely loving it and he'd probably be being talked up as the future of English football etc...!

I've thought he's looked pretty good, but probably more attacking minded than a tough tackling athletic defensive midfielder.

I really don't know what some so called fans expect of our club. Surely the preferred way to try and strengthen the squad is to do so from within, i.e. the academy, rather than wasting millions of pounds on players like Carrillo, Claisse, Boufal, etc. May on here cream themselves when a new foreigh signing is linked to our club and pour scorn on any youngster trying to break into the first team. The fact that Slattery played on Saturday should be applauded but many on here just don't seem to want it. They think we should have wasted further millions buying some unknown at the 11th hour in the hugely inflated January transfer window. Why do some think that there is an abundance of talent just waiting to be signed? The shelves look pretty short of quality to me. Give me Valery, Slattery, Stephens, JWP, Sims, etc. Along with the rest of the squad we should have enough to stay up and then Ralph can strengthen if and where required when he's had a bit of time to assess the situation.

People (like you) seem to get annoyed when people (like me) suggest he should not be in the team

Well, you can self-identify as a dripping tap if you want. Others above have replied in more detail, but given he was playing for various reasons outlined I think comments should relate to his game, not whether he should have been playing in the first place.

To be fair, if Slattery had just made his debut for any of the top 6 clubs, the media would be absolutely loving it and he'd probably be being talked up as the future of English football etc...!

I've thought he's looked pretty good, but probably more attacking minded than a tough tackling athletic defensive midfielder.

Slattery will play for England at some point.

I really don't know what some so called fans expect of our club. Surely the preferred way to try and strengthen the squad is to do so from within, i.e. the academy, rather than wasting millions of pounds on players like Carrillo, Claisse, Boufal, etc. May on here cream themselves when a new foreigh signing is linked to our club and pour scorn on any youngster trying to break into the first team. The fact that Slattery played on Saturday should be applauded but many on here just don't seem to want it. They think we should have wasted further millions buying some unknown at the 11th hour in the hugely inflated January transfer window. Why do some think that there is an abundance of talent just waiting to be signed? The shelves look pretty short of quality to me. Give me Valery, Slattery, Stephens, JWP, Sims, etc. Along with the rest of the squad we should have enough to stay up and then Ralph can strengthen if and where required when he's had a bit of time to assess the situation.

Exactly. The youngsters are a known commodity. The training staff have seen them day in day out. Makes much more sense (especially financially) to give them a chance than roll the dice on another unknown commodity that could end up being a Carillo, Forren, Mayuka or Moi.

It's odd some say "he did OK" as if that's not a big deal. He did do OK. Coming into the premier league with no career experience and doing OK isn't something most academy players can do.You won't get finished articles. What you do get it player development, the chance for players to realise potential and save us fortunes. Slattery and Valery could both be very good players at this level but it won't happen without games. You fill the squad with expensive signings and they get to 21/22 with no experience, a few loans and likely a stalled career. It's just wasting the main resource of a club our size.Even Bale took ages to adapt to the premier league and that was after a year of Championship football. It's great we're giving them a chance now. They won't all prove good premier league players but I bet a few of them do.

Exactly this. On a cold day away at Turf Moor, against a big hoofing Burnley, he did really well for his full debut. Made the wrong decision occasionally (what a surprise) and ran out of gas towards the end, but you could see that he has a good touch on him. One lovely ball floated across on the angle for Valery who controlled it stone dead - the academy in action. I enjoyed it from behind the goal anyway.

• 5 months later...
Strange way to reward someone for coming back overweight - allegedly
Maybe someone else came back overweight and slattery was frozen out as he was playing hard ball with the contract and we just made a false connection

Sent from my G3311 using Tapatalk

Interesting that on the one hand he was (for whatever reason) excluded from the Austria trip but has now been given a new contract. Suggests that Ralph sees a good player in there. It will be interesting to see what happens for the rest of pre-season.

Nice to know that if you come back from Holiday with added pounds, you get a pay-rise.

Will let my staff know this.

From Slattery's personal trainer at Golden Ring on 28/6 - accompanied by a pic a very lean looking Slattery :

"For the last 4 weeks I’ve been training this young fella. He’s been an absolute pleasure to train, always gives 100% and has done everything asked of him. Straight 2 hour sessions to try and get him superfit for the new premier league season where he will be making his claim to become a midfield superstar for Southampton FC. He will be going into pre-season training next week fitter than ever before. Good luck and take a bow Mr Slattery, you have done yourself proud".

This boll0cks that Slattery returned fat is boll0cks. He's a great prospect.

His contract is deserved.

From Slattery's personal trainer at Golden Ring on 28/6 - accompanied by a pic a very lean looking Slattery :

"For the last 4 weeks I’ve been training this young fella. He’s been an absolute pleasure to train, always gives 100% and has done everything asked of him. Straight 2 hour sessions to try and get him superfit for the new premier league season where he will be making his claim to become a midfield superstar for Southampton FC. He will be going into pre-season training next week fitter than ever before. Good luck and take a bow Mr Slattery, you have done yourself proud".

I think conclusions were jumped to based on the rumour that a ‘rising star’ came back unfit.

If that was indeed true, based on the fact he didn’t go to Austria and is still absent from squad lists (though he may be in Dublin?), I’d say a likelier candidate is Kayne Ramsay.

I think conclusions were jumped to based on the rumour that a ‘rising star’ came back unfit.

If that was indeed true, based on the fact he didn’t go to Austria and is still absent from squad lists (though he may be in Dublin?), I’d say a likelier candidate is Kayne Ramsay.

He's in the Macau 20-man squad, FYI.

Sad part is that I posted previously that he'd been working hard at golden ring and it wasn't him. Didn't stop the lynch mob though. Says an awful lot about this forum.

His BMI was slightly over Ralph’s demands for when they came back off holiday hence he was was kept here. For some serious training. He worked his nads off since , shown good attitude.

Well done Callum and rather a nice bit of management by Ralph. All the players know where they stand. That’s the sort of manager I liked working for.

His BMI was slightly over Ralph’s demands for when they came back off holiday hence he was was kept here. For some serious training. He worked his nads off since , shown good attitude.

Well done Callum and rather a nice bit of management by Ralph. All the players know where they stand. That’s the sort of manager I liked working for.

BMI is a very crude measure, used on its own. It may be that all that work in the gym bulked CS up too much, hence the BMI issue. The right athletic body type/shape is key. Just speculating.

BMI is a very crude measure, used on its own. It may be that all that work in the gym bulked CS up too much, hence the BMI issue. The right athletic body type/shape is key. Just speculating.

Yes that’s what I heard. He was doing a lot of boxing training during the holiday was apparently is the wrong type of training , bless him.

Anyway Ralph’s happy , Callum’s happy all good.

And Che Adams has just scored again

Yes that’s what I heard. He was doing a lot of boxing training during the holiday was apparently is the wrong type of training , bless him.

Anyway Ralph’s happy , Callum’s happy all good.

And Che Adams has just scored again

Cheers Manji. So 10/10 for intent / attitude but 3/10 for application.

Agreed. Better gauge is tape measure head to toe then round waist. If head-toe measure goes round waist twice you’re all good. I was dismayed to discover mine barely made it round once (and I’m 6 foot 6).

Agreed. Better gauge is tape measure head to toe then round waist. If head-toe measure goes round waist twice you’re all good. I was dismayed to discover mine barely made it round once (and I’m 6 foot 6).

I was once told that there should be a minimum 4" difference between your waist and your chest - in favour of your chest.

Good to see him sign a deal. The lad has a different style and nice range of passing compared to our other midfielders. I thought he offered another dimension when he appeared for the first team last season. (*whispers* A bit of Steve Williams in the passing).

• Lighthouse changed the title to Callum Slattery - Official: Signs for Motherwell