Callum Slattery - Official: Signs for Motherwell

SuperSAINT

Tipped by the BBC to have a breakthrough season - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49057145

‘The 20-year-old, who has impressed in pre-season with his excellent range of passing and box-to-box energy from central midfield...’

The only game he’s featured in in preseason was the China game, which was essentially the U23s. Hasn’t even been in the squad for any of our actual first team games. Great journalism!

‘The 20-year-old, who has impressed in pre-season with his excellent range of passing and box-to-box energy from central midfield...’

The only game he’s featured in in preseason was the China game, which was essentially the U23s. Hasn’t even been in the squad for any of our actual first team games. Great journalism!

He'll play a huge part this season. Pre season involvement doesn't dictate the season ahead.

Slattery seems to me he'll end up like Hesketh. Bags of talent but not a lot of determination / Work ethic.

Hesketh, to be fair, actually does work hard and put himself about. His problem was (and might still be) that's he a bit physically slight. Didn't used to be much of a fan of his but I reckon he's good enough for the league below subject to his ability to stay fit and pit himself against much stronger players. He did well at Burton.

• 5 months later...
For whatever reason he seems to have drifted this season

Hopefully a good move for his development.

Agreed, not only football wise but living abroad for a bit, and the challenges that come with it, may toughen him up. The next 18 months will be important if he’s to reach the levels that were touted 4 years or so ago.

They are in a promotion battle in the 2nd tier

The Dutch second tier is League one/league two level. The football is very poor, except Jong Ajax (Ajax reserves and youth).

The Graafschap are trained by Mike Snoei, who last season was the trainer at Telstar, who had Seagar on loan. Snoei must know someone at the club. I’ll keep an eye out for Slattery and check the local paper, if Slattery signs that is.

No pal, I actually agree with you and thought he’d be a regular in the squad.

All I know is he spent time at Golden Ring over the close season and worked hard to come back super fit. Has only made the bench once since and hasn't seen any minutes. Official site announcement says nothing about "wishing him luck" as per other loanees. Doesn't look good for a very talented kid.

He’s extremely arrogant and unprofessional. No future here unfortunately, especially with RH here. Which is a shame as he’s talented.

So what you're saying is that the loan is abroad because it's hoped he might pick up on the different way of life and be kept away from temptation? Bit like Shaw, but without the Nando's effect?

• 2 weeks later...
Is he playing regularly there? Seems odd he's gone to such a low level. Is it just his attitude or has he turned out to be nowhere near as good as the hype?

He looks comfortable in the premier league games he played which is impressive at his age at the time.

Slattery has been a second half substitute in all the games he has played since arriving at De Graafschap. In the Dutch Eerste Divisie clubs like Cambuur, Graafschap and this season Volendam are performing well, but I would still rank them botten half league 1 level. Clubs like Dordrecht, Oss and Helmond Sport wouldn’t be anything special in League 2.

Slattery has been a second half substitute in all the games he has played since arriving at De Graafschap. In the Dutch Eerste Divisie clubs like Cambuur, Graafschap and this season Volendam are performing well, but I would still rank them botten half league 1 level. Clubs like Dordrecht, Oss and Helmond Sport wouldn’t be anything special in League 2.

A year or two ago, I had high hopes for Callum Slattery but by this season it began to feel he was missing the boat. Would have expected him to be a first team regular by the age of 20 but he's now 21. Not even a regular stating spot for De Graafschap doesn't bode well. A career in the lower divisions might be the best he can achieve but it would feel like a wasted talent.

It’s a strange one. Clearly a good player in there and Egg is obviously connected to the youth team and says he worked really hard on his fitness over the summer. Yet others say he’s a knob with a bad attitude, which kind of ties in with why he’s been sent out on loan when he really should be ahead of Smallbone given he broke into the team first.

It’s a strange one. Clearly a good player in there and Egg is obviously connected to the youth team and says he worked really hard on his fitness over the summer. Yet others say he’s a knob with a bad attitude, which kind of ties in with why he’s been sent out on loan when he really should be ahead of Smallbone given he broke into the team first.

Yeah, whilst it’s great to see Smallbone & Obafemi feature this season, it’s sad to see Slattery / Ramsay / Valery seemingly take backward steps.

Yeah, whilst it’s great to see Smallbone & Obafemi feature this season, it’s sad to see Slattery / Ramsay / Valery seemingly take backward steps.

Ramsey is another weird one, played a few times last season and did okay but seems I be miles away from the first team now when he really should be kicking on to compete with Valery for first choice right back

If Valery & Ramsey hadn't gone backwards, we would not have acquired Walker-Peters.
Ramsey didn't go backwards - he was just massively over-promoted.

At no stage during his brief flirtation with the first team did he look remotely close to the required level.

Slow full backs don't tend to last long in the PL.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know whether Slattery might be given a chance in the team this year? I see he played for the U23s against Wycombe today and came close to scoring with a free kick. It was a shame to see him disappear off on loan after showing promise in 2018-19.

6 hours ago, Brumsaint said:

Does anyone know whether Slattery might be given a chance in the team this year? I see he played for the U23s against Wycombe today and came close to scoring with a free kick. It was a shame to see him disappear off on loan after showing promise in 2018-19.

Looked very slow and unathletic in the few first team minutes he's been given - not qualities Hasenhuttl's tactics tend to indulge.

I'd be surprised if he makes the grade here. Shame - he was highly rated once. Nationally. Wasn't he captain of one of the England age groups?

7 hours ago, Brumsaint said:

Personally I think there's a good player in there, but Ralph seemingly has issues with him. If he can knuckle down and fulfil his potential, I think he's got something to offer. 

Slattery was well ahead of his peers at 15, 16 but he was also physically stronger than his peers at an early age.  Often, when moving into mixed age groups these players struggle because they can’t rely on their physical attributes.  This may, or may not be the case with Slattery.  This interesting contrast is Smallbone.  He was physically less dominant than Slattery, and as he was rotated around various midfield positions in the U23’s you saw his technical attributes come to the fore.  No doubt Smallbone will be on the weights over the next 12 months, and you will see his shape change.   Hojberg was the same.  His shape changed dramatically after the first 12 months, and during that period he lost some of his touch and balance, most of which he regained after the programme goal was reached and his regime changed.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Callum Slattery - Official: Signs for Motherwell