Parking for the football and parking charge notices

saintmatt

Hello

I just wondered if anyone else parks in the trading estate just the other side of the northam bridge from st mary’s

I, along with plenty of others, have been parking there pretty much every home game since the stadium was built and for the first time in those 18 years (and again along with plenty of others) received a parking charge notice after the palace game

I’ve done a bit of research and it seems these aren’t strictly legally enforceable but I was just wondering if anyone else who posts on here was also caught- and what their plan is?

The penalty is only £60-£100 so I may just pay it for peace of mine, but I fear that’s what they rely on

Thanks and any comments appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello

I just wondered if anyone else parks in the trading estate just the other side of the northam bridge from st mary’s

I, along with plenty of others, have been parking there pretty much every home game since the stadium was built and for the first time in those 18 years (and again along with plenty of others) received a parking charge notice after the palace game

I’ve done a bit of research and it seems these aren’t strictly legally enforceable but I was just wondering if anyone else who posts on here was also caught- and what their plan is?

The penalty is only £60-£100 so I may just pay it for peace of mine, but I fear that’s what they rely on

Thanks and any comments appreciated

Matt - I had the same. I have been parking there for many years and for the Palace game I got a ticket. I was going to contest mine because it was dark and there was no signage. In fairness I have always thought it was odd that we could park there with no repercussions.

Now they have made it a non parking zone that will put pressure on parkling. Where do people think we should park now?

Glad you mentioned this, it's my usual parking spot too. I remember about 5 years ago they had a couple of guys trying to charge people as they drove in, but only lasted for a game or two (think it was an evening cup or euro game iirc)

In a way I can't blame them as its private land, but a couple of quid rather than 60 quid charge notices seems a bit more reasonable, especially as none of the units there trade on a Saturday, so who else is using it?

in terms of the ticket it purely depends on the signage being clear. Again, iirc there is a sign ... One could argue how clear it is but I think it's one you'll have to pay I'm afraid. Most annoying.

Thanks for the replies all

I get free parking in Ocean Village because that's where my office is based, it's just an absolute nightmare to get home from there post match (and that's likely only to get worse if there's a mass relocation of cars from the trading estate I used to park at)

On the charge itself, my research, for what it's worth, basically says that the issuer of the notice must be able to prove that:

1) There was a contract between them and you- presumably the sign in question must be clear and visible

2) They're entitled to receive the money- presumably no terms and conditions in the above contract are breached

3) It isn't a penalty notice (these are legally enforceable and can only be issued by local authorities/government in respect of parking on public land) and that what they've asked for is a genuine pre-estimated loss

I think there's probably scope for wriggle room in point 3; as someone has already said, very few traders were open on the evening I was caught

That all said, I'll probably suck it up and pay!!

That's my usual parking place too. Do you know if the PCNs were just issued for a certain area or was it the whole estate? I know that Screwfix try to reserve the bit outside their site for customers (reasonably enough).

For anyone who wants to contest it there is some useful information about fighting PCNs at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163. Read the FAQ sticky.

I get free parking in Ocean Village because that's where my office is based, it's just an absolute nightmare to get home from there post match (and that's likely only to get worse if there's a mass relocation of cars from the trading estate I used to park at)

On the charge itself, my research, for what it's worth, basically says that the issuer of the notice must be able to prove that:

1) There was a contract between them and you- presumably the sign in question must be clear and visible

2) They're entitled to receive the money- presumably no terms and conditions in the above contract are breached

3) It isn't a penalty notice (these are legally enforceable and can only be issued by local authorities/government in respect of parking on public land) and that what they've asked for is a genuine pre-estimated loss

I think there's probably scope for wriggle room in point 3; as someone has already said, very few traders were open on the evening I was caught

Point 3 is out of date. The law on penalty charges has evolved recently. It doesn't have to be a fair pre-estimate of loss.

If you want to try to avoid paying, your best bet is to say the signs weren't clear or prominent enough. Most companies let people off a first offence if you make it clear you will be a pain in their backside.

We parked in Drummond Avenue yesterday just off Thomas Lewis Way and for the Everton game on The Horseshoe Bridge (all FOC) and about 20 mins walk from the stadium and no long quese after the game two pubs en route (The Old Farmhouse at the bottom of Derby Road and The Prince of Wales down Union Street on the corner of Princes St),parking at the Pitcher and Piano is easy but can be a ball ache when leaving

Don’t pay it, but act quickly. These blokes are brilliant, I’ve got off 3 parking and 1 speeding because of their advise. http://forums.pepipoo.com/

The biggest error the parking companies make is not advising the registered keeper that failure to name driver will result in them claiming the money from the registered keeper. The freedom of information act clearly states that you don’t have to name driver, therefore if they don’t advise they will chase owner, you can just refuse. My Mrs has got off 2 by refusing to name driver quoting that act. As I say go on the pepippoo site post the PCN with your details blacked out, and they’ll find the loopholes.

You must follow the appeals process 100% otherwise the POPLA will find against you, even if you’ve got a case. Believe me, the parking companies rely on people just paying the smaller amount and do not follow process properly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Don’t pay it, but act quickly. These blokes are brilliant, I’ve got off 3 parking and 1 speeding because of their advise. http://forums.pepipoo.com/

The biggest error the parking companies make is not advising the registered keeper that failure to name driver will result in them claiming the money from the registered keeper. The freedom of information act clearly states that you don’t have to name driver, therefore if they don’t advise they will chase owner, you can just refuse. My Mrs has got off 2 by refusing to name driver quoting that act. As I say go on the pepippoo site post the PCN with your details blacked out, and they’ll find the loopholes.

You must follow the appeals process 100% otherwise the POPLA will find against you, even if you’ve got a case. Believe me, the parking companies rely on people just paying the smaller amount and do not follow process properly.

And you will probably to be the first to bemoan the morality of society. Expect you claim for food poisoning on your holiday too.

#Dishonestscum

And you will probably to be the first to bemoan the morality of society. Expect you claim for food poisoning on your holiday too.

#Dishonestscum

What are you on about you ****ing plum.

A private parking company can enforce a penalty fine for breach of contract, provided they comply with the FOIA and POPLA. If they don’t comply with these acts of Parliament, they can not. It’s not for customers to say “you have no legal right to charge me this money, but I’m going to pay anyway”.

In one instance my Mrs overstayed by 3 minutes and received a penalty notice for £60. Extortionate. She broke a contract, but the contract was illegal because they couldn’t be bothered to comply with an act of Parliament. That’s not dishonest, that’s the law of the land, you chump.

What are you on about you ****ing plum.

A private parking company can enforce a penalty fine for breach of contract, provided they comply with the FOIA and POPLA. If they don’t comply with these acts of Parliament, they can not. It’s not for customers to say “you have no legal right to charge me this money, but I’m going to pay anyway”.

In one instance my Mrs overstayed by 3 minutes and received a penalty notice for £60. Extortionate. She broke a contract, but the contract was illegal because they couldn’t be bothered to comply with an act of Parliament. That’s not dishonest, that’s the law of the land, you chump.

Whatever. Some of us take consequences for our actions and some people are looking to get one over just to save themselves money.

Have you been injured at work? Hey we can help get you some money.

Luck you. But I can assure others that doing this can lead to registered debt, credit file problems and the debt itself escalating beyond belief

"Luck me" pal? I still get letters with the scales of justice printed on them on a virtually daily basis and my fine is up to 6 figures. Still ain't paying up though.

Luck you. But I can assure others that doing this can lead to registered debt, credit file problems and the debt itself escalating beyond belief

You’re right. That can, and does happen. It depends on the parking company. Ive heard that Britannia Parking don’t take people to court. Other companies aren’t so reluctant and will chase you. That’s why it’s important people challenge fines under the POPLA regulations as it gets chucked out permanently if you win.

Council ones are different, you have to pay them and have no redress to POPLA.

I used to park there years ago, but stopped because they started to charge/slap tickets on (can't remember exactly why), I now park on Horseshoe Bridge, however due to the old man not being particularly well at the moment I wanted to find somewhere closer to the stadium to park, so looked in on Centurion during the week to see the lie of the lie of the land. There are signs everywhere threatening charges of £100 reducing to £60 on prompt payment. So chose not to park there. Whilst I agree a parking charge of £60 is extortionate, that's the price you agree to pay when parking on that land. You can't say you've not been warned, the signs are clear to see without having to out of the car.

It looked like all of the cars that parked outside Sulzer (turn left as you turn into the estate) had penalty notices stuck to the windscreen, but we parked out the front of the businesses opposite Screwfix and never had penalty notices. I’m guessing it’s dependent on which business people park outside of?

Everyone in the estate got one yesterday.

I will just ignore it, it's not legally enforceable.

They have to take you to a civil court.

Some of them will take you to court. In fact, it was Parking Eye taking someone to court which contributed to the change in law around liquidated damages / unenforceable penalties which I referred to previously.

The worst thing to do, in my opinion, would be to ignore it. You should pay it or contest it.

"Luck me" pal? I still get letters with the scales of justice printed on them on a virtually daily basis and my fine is up to 6 figures. Still ain't paying up though.

Sorry for mistyping “lucky”. But on the substance, an unpaid debt which is passed to a debt recovery agent gets registered and negatively impacts credit file. So given your “who cares” view, I assume you are either supremely wealthy with no need to take out a mortgage or loan, are retired and have paid off all debts or are just a bit cocky and thick

Sorry for mistyping “lucky”. But on the substance, an unpaid debt which is passed to a debt recovery agent gets registered and negatively impacts credit file. So given your “who cares” view, I assume you are either supremely wealthy with no need to take out a mortgage or loan, are retired and have paid off all debts or are just a bit cocky and thick

No need to apologise and all of your assumptions are wrong. Night night.

I thought these were not enforceable, if you respond you are likely to pay. Im sure Martin Lewis had something on his site about these tickets.

The worst thing you can do is ignore them. They are enforceable provided they are correctly issued. Martin Lewis is ok but this forum is far far better. I urge people to post their circumstances on it and they’ll get some great advice. They’ll also go over your ticket with a fine tooth comb if you post it (make sure you black out the personal details).

http://forums.pepipoo.com/

Just remember chaps it's only about £4.50 to park for the match in the City Centre car parks.

The advantage of the trading estate was not so much the fact it was free (although that helped) but it was a lot quicker and easier to get away from there after the game, compared to parking in the city centre. Obviously that depends on where you live.

The worst thing you can do is ignore them. They are enforceable provided they are correctly issued. Martin Lewis is ok but this forum is far far better. I urge people to post their circumstances on it and they’ll get some great advice. They’ll also go over your ticket with a fine tooth comb if you post it (make sure you black out the personal details).

http://http://forums.pepipoo.com/

Thanks for that. I never parked there, therefore never got a ticket, but that site was much more interesting than this one is right now! ;)

Im sure Lordy's link is better but look at these as well.

Personally parking on private land is not a good thing and if it obstructs a business it is totally wrong, but if it is just one of those parking companies making a quick buck I hope you dont have to pay

https://www.justanswer.com/uk-traffic-law/69azg-vehicle-parked-private-land-staples-preston.html

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/private-parking-tickets/

I got caught out at Cineworld a couple of seasons ago , used to park for free but failed to notice new cameras and parking fee signs ! Looked up all websites but took notice of people who were taken to court and ended up paying £300 , so paid my £60 . Couldn't park there again as max 4 hours so lunch plus match didn't work.

We now use West Quay multi and pay £5 .

Yep, as mentioned Pepipoo and the dedicated MSE forum are very useful and will help with any appeal, but read their information first.

If you ever get caught by ANPR cameras there is also a question of privacy involved; how long they keep the information, how they justify getting it from the DVLA, and even charging when you don't actually end up

parking, as you are allowed a grace period to get out your magnifying glass, step ladder and shears so that you can read their signage.

Remember that contract law applies in these cases and it's a charge not a fine. I was once fined in a Soton CC car park as I thought it was free after a certain time of night but appealed to the council, sent a cheque for the actual charge and I was let off. As the car park was one full in the day with office trade and virtually empty I'd have thought they'd want to encourage business as there was little or no marginal cost in providing the parking space free.

I normally rail in for matches but as it's Southern not always...

Thanks all

Ended up paying for peace of mind

Parked at my office in ocean village and spent about 4 times as long making my way home post match, suppose I’ll have to get used to that if I want to keep parking for free

I think I’d have thrown myself off the bridge if I came back to a parking ticket after the Cardiff game!!

What was concluded on this - should I ignore or respond contesting signage?

My key take from the above is that the notice shouldn't be ignored as it could lead to credit rating and/or debt spiral issues

So either contest through the proper channels (and I'd be interested to see how you get on) or just pay up

I went for the latter given I can't imagine that contesting is an easy or quick process

I did subsequently think they possibly wouldn't be able to attach my name to the car given the new GDPR landscape but, for the sake of the £60, I'll take peace of mind

People lob their cars up on the grass banks either side of Marine Parade and seem to get away with it. Must be a right pain trying to get out afterwards because everyone walks in the road to get back to Ocean Village or Woolston. There's also the car park off Elm Terrace which is about 5 mins walk to the ground but I'd imagine it gets filled up pretty early.

My key take from the above is that the notice shouldn't be ignored as it could lead to credit rating and/or debt spiral issues

So either contest through the proper channels (and I'd be interested to see how you get on) or just pay up

I went for the latter given I can't imagine that contesting is an easy or quick process

I did subsequently think they possibly wouldn't be able to attach my name to the car given the new GDPR landscape but, for the sake of the £60, I'll take peace of mind

Thanks Matt

The Government via the DVLA sell the owners information to the parking companies, it’s scandalous really.

They can do this under the freedom of information act,but the parking charge notice MUST contain wording that they will seek compensation from the owner if the driver is not named. If it doesn’t state that, you can refuse to name driver (even if it’s yourself) and the owner isn’t liable. As I said previously, I’ve had 2 over turned because of this.