Hasenhuttl ...can we criticise him yet...

saint lard

Can you point out a single fan who wants rid?

Cheers

Like nearly all of our fans, I think he's done a great job to get our awful squad to play as well as he has. We should consider ourselves lucky to have a manager like him. Appointing him is about the only key decision our club has got right in recent years.

Each of our managers has been handed a weaker squad than the previous one as our best players have been sold off and either replaced by players who are not good enough for this level or not replaced at all. Most managers would struggle to get our current squad into the top six of the Championship.

Like nearly all of our fans, I think he's done a great job to get our awful squad to play as well as he has. We should consider ourselves lucky to have a manager like him. Appointing him is about the only key decision our club has got right in recent years.

Each of our managers has been handed a weaker squad than the previous one as our best players have been sold off and either replaced by players who are not good enough for this level or not replaced at all. Most managers would struggle to get our current squad into the top six of the Championship.

Admittedly we have a very mediocre squad but..

Ralph did do well, however now he has dropped away.... We are not pressing any more, that has virtually stopped altogether, tactics and team selection have been odd too of late...

It’s ok starting well, however it’s where you finish that matters and performances have certainly tailed away ....

Why has Ralph also allowed himself to let his guard down for his own performance has dropped off too....

It’s time for Ralph to step up to the mark again, be bold and sort it out. I know the squad is poor but he has chosen to leave out our consistent, experienced players and most potent striker and been less than convincing in his justification.

For me Ralph has dropped the baton and needs to pick it up again quick ...

Each of our managers has been handed a weaker squad than the previous one as our best players have been sold off and either replaced by players who are not good enough for this level or not replaced at all. Most managers would struggle to get our current squad into the top six

Heard on the TSP that we are currently at the same place in the league as when Ralph took over

Sounds about right - under Ralph we have P14 L6 D4 W4 (29% win %) That includes the draw and defeat to Derby

Problem is weve been on a fairly steep decline since Koeman left and needed someone to turn that decline around. It was always going to take time as that decline was heavy.

On its own Ralphs record looks very average but when you consider the decline he inherited.....

Koeman - 49% win %

Puel 35%

Pellegrino 24%

Hughes 19%

Ralph 29%

Edited by Heisenberg

Ralph is averaging 1.25 pts per game ( bearing in mind Hughes managed 0.96, mope 1.09 and Puel 1.38 points per game) over a whole season that would be what 47-48 points? Not great but given the state of the squad would have been fine over a season. Sadly Ralph didn't get a season a so...

If he can keep that going we will get another 13-14 points to finish on 37 -38 should be enough to stay up.

What ever I doubt we can get anyone better as manager right now and certainly no one who is going to any better with the squad in its current state.

We need to get through this keep Ralph whatever and give him a decent squad to work with rather than the current shower of ****e....no sure that will happen though.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The bit I dont get is the players are doing double training and are much much fitter now but they seem to be going backwards.

Okay we don’t have any decent strikers that are fit but you would think Armstrong, Moi and Austin would be sharper and stronger than under Hughes.

Sounds about right - under Ralph we have P14 L6 D4 W4 (29% win %) That includes the draw and defeat to Derby

Problem is weve been on a fairly steep decline since Koeman left and needed someone to turn that decline around. It was always going to take time as that decline was heavy.

On its own Ralphs record looks very average but when you consider the decline he inherited.....

Koeman - 49% win %

Puel 35%

Pellegrino 24%

Hughes 19%

Ralph 29%

DO you know the figures for only league games? Thats what matters here now really and would be interesting to see. A draw and loss wit ha weakened team are a reasonable proportion of the 14 games in your stats really - its not that he wasnt trying to win them but its not like we went all out either so are a little unrepresentative

Old Nick wants to bring back WC Puel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if we are languishing in the Championship next season you will have time to dwell on finishing 7th and getting to a cup final. You can snipe, but at the end of the day, the manager was only given a season, and not able to buy players in.He has been sacked by Leicester (a squad who like Chelsea are poison) but they are not in the relegation places and have the start of a decent squad again. Now Rodgers is now there he will bring them on again

Iam not unhappy with Ralph, and will support him, we already have fans starting to doubt him, it is ludicrous.

Well if we are languishing in the Championship next season you will have time to dwell on finishing 7th and getting to a cup final. You can snipe, but at the end of the day, the manager was only given a season, and not able to buy players in.He has been sacked by Leicester (a squad who like Chelsea are poison) but they are not in the relegation places and have the start of a decent squad again. Now Rodgers is now there he will bring them on again

Iam not unhappy with Ralph, and will support him, we already have fans starting to doubt him, it is ludicrous.

The championship holds no fears for me been there done it and League 1.

Leicester squad poison lol the problem is the same as here players out of position changing team shape poor man manager.

I would take their squad any day.

I don’t doubt Ralph but do Wilson,Krueger, Gao and whoever is responsible for this shambles.

Hughes got us to FA cup semi .

Do you think we have people to improve this mess?

I don't think the squad is awful it's just extremely limited in attack and everyone knows it. Look through our results, there's so many times another good attacker would turn a narrow loss into a draw, a draw into a win. It's not some massive overhaul needed, it's a few quality additions and time to work on Ralph's approach.

He's approaching games in the way he thinks best with the squad and time pressure, not the way he wants to play. It's not attacking, it's not high energy pressing, it's not even the formation he's been used to.

We've also had to deal with Bertrand, Lemina and Ings struggling for fitness. Those 3 in the team makes a huge difference in experience and quality.

A lot rests on tomorrow. Beat Fulham and I think we'll take confidence and be okay, grinding out enough results. Draw or lose and I really think we might struggle to get enough points. We need a striker to really step up, whoever it is.

Agree with a lot of what you say but we have dropped so many points from winning positions the deficiencies are with the defence I would suggest

I don't think the squad is awful it's just extremely limited in attack and everyone knows it. Look through our results, there's so many times another good attacker would turn a narrow loss into a draw, a draw into a win. It's not some massive overhaul needed, it's a few quality additions and time to work on Ralph's approach.

He's approaching games in the way he thinks best with the squad and time pressure, not the way he wants to play. It's not attacking, it's not high energy pressing, it's not even the formation he's been used to.

We've also had to deal with Bertrand, Lemina and Ings struggling for fitness. Those 3 in the team makes a huge difference in experience and quality.

A lot rests on tomorrow. Beat Fulham and I think we'll take confidence and be okay, grinding out enough results. Draw or lose and I really think we might struggle to get enough points. We need a striker to really step up, whoever it is.

The squad is awful. There's no beating around the bush on that, it's awful. And weaker than it was in December.

I can't believe anyone thinks the squad is any good. We can keep changing managers but it won't make much difference until we overhaul this squad full of dross.

We have dropped so far we are desperate to beat Fulham ffs. Watford, West Ham and Wolves are way better than us.

It’s a disgrace that this shambles recruitment shows no sign of change and if we stay up can anyone honestly see us shedding Hoedt, Boufal, Carrillo , Cedric and Forster?

Do you think Wilson etc will have the nous to get in anyone of value?

The championship holds no fears for me been there done it and League 1.

Leicester squad poison lol the problem is the same as here players out of position changing team shape poor man manager.

I would take their squad any day.

I don’t doubt Ralph but do Wilson,Krueger, Gao and whoever is responsible for this shambles.

Hughes got us to FA cup semi .

Do you think we have people to improve this mess?

The Championship IF we are doing well holds no fears for me either, proper football that reminds me more of the game when I was growing up. The vanity of being in the PL is only vanity, we had a few seasons where we looked pretty good and we rode the wave, sadly Sir Les influence still hangs over the club and we have a squad similar to when we went down before. Lots of middle range players who have straw hearts.

It is not only annoying that Les kept his gravy train working here for so long, (a person in life who gets a good job and you dont know why. IMO he has the art of making himself look better than he is and ingratiates to the right people) Now he is at the FA, there goes our improvement.

Leicester has a poisoned hanging room, they got rid of the manager who helped them win the title FFS. Chelsea the same.

Puel is obviously not a great man manager,but we have tried that and where did that get us. Modern young footballers are just getting worse, and that is some of the reason I rarely go now. SFC is deep in my soul but that doesn't mean I worship every thing that goes with it.

The Championship IF we are doing well holds no fears for me either, proper football that reminds me more of the game when I was growing up. The vanity of being in the PL is only vanity, we had a few seasons where we looked pretty good and we rode the wave, sadly Sir Les influence still hangs over the club and we have a squad similar to when we went down before. Lots of middle range players who have straw hearts.

It is not only annoying that Les kept his gravy train working here for so long, (a person in life who gets a good job and you dont know why. IMO he has the art of making himself look better than he is and ingratiates to the right people) Now he is at the FA, there goes our improvement.

Leicester has a poisoned hanging room, they got rid of the manager who helped them win the title FFS. Chelsea the same.

Puel is obviously not a great man manager,but we have tried that and where did that get us. Modern young footballers are just getting worse, and that is some of the reason I rarely go now. SFC is deep in my soul but that doesn't mean I worship every thing that goes with it.

We all care passionately but we are in a mess of our own making and believe our own b/s

I applaud the academy but what other Prem club had 8 players in match day squad?

As I said elsewhere I think we are buggered as a Prem club due to who we have here Wilson is as much use as a chocolate teapot along with football board. If we stay up will they be able to recruit do they even know how?

Mo,, Carrillo, Boufal , Forster who will take them for a fee?

Edited by Give it to Ron

Maybe relegation is fitting for us? Don't try and tell me we have a mid table capable team.That is nonsense we have a peppering of talent (Redmond) some overpaid dross who are stealing a living as premiership players (Long, Austin, Eloynossi, )

But it's ok we have a selection of overhyped youngsters who from what I have seen so far at this level are pretty toilet!

Onwards we march! If you believe the PR nonsense me I'm realistic only place we are going is the Championship. I can't see us staying up we are now officially in freefall.

We all care passionately but we are in a mess of our own making and believe our own b/s

I applaud the academy but what other Prem club had 8 players in match day squad?

As I said elsewhere I think we are buggered as a Prem club due to who we have here Wilson is as much use as a chocolate teapot along with football board. If we stay up will they be able to recruit do they even know how?

Mo,, Carrillo, Boufal , Forster who will take them for a fee?

Agree with what you say. I have no problem having academy kids in the squad if they are good enough, but sadly it seems they are not.

It is criminal how Les or whoever gave out those contracts. If players only want to join us if we pay well over the odds they aren't for us anyway.

The long contracts will burden us for a few years and the few good buys we had, we wasted the proceeds on too many mid range players who are never going to put us up a level

Agree with what you say. I have no problem having academy kids in the squad if they are good enough, but sadly it seems they are not.

It is criminal how Les or whoever gave out those contracts. If players only want to join us if we pay well over the odds they aren't for us anyway.

The long contracts will burden us for a few years and the few good buys we had, we wasted the proceeds on too many mid range players who are never going to put us up a level

Can't agree with this....

Valery looks a gem, Targett is improving the more games he gets, JWP is a solid player, Obafemi looked good in flashes, Stephens has been good until the last 2-3 games, Slattery looks like he could be a very good player.

Put it this way - they are better than most of our seasoned pros. Whether that speaks volumes about our terrible recruitment the last 2 years is another story...........

Valery looks a gem, Targett is improving the more games he gets, JWP is a solid player, Obafemi looked good in flashes, Stephens has been good until the last 2-3 games, Slattery looks like he could be a very good player.

Put it this way - they are better than most of our seasoned pros. Whether that speaks volumes about our terrible recruitment the last 2 years is another story...........

Stephens has never been good.

Maybe relegation is fitting for us? Don't try and tell me we have a mid table capable team.That is nonsense we have a peppering of talent (Redmond) some overpaid dross who are stealing a living as premiership players (Long, Austin, Eloynossi, )

But it's ok we have a selection of overhyped youngsters who from what I have seen so far at this level are pretty toilet!

Onwards we march! If you believe the PR nonsense me I'm realistic only place we are going is the Championship. I can't see us staying up we are now officially in freefall.

People can't handle the truth!

fair comment, but I dont count JWP or Matt Targett really as youngsters. Stephens was bought not a graduate

For all the hurrah about high pressing which comes with Hasenhuttl.....we don’t. And there is no real identity to how we play.

We started with that,but that soon ended from what I can see.

We look very average still.

Here’s hoping we stay up and he gets to put his stamp on how we play,and with the players he wants

For all the hurrah about high pressing which comes with Hasenhuttl.....we don’t. And there is no real identity to how we play.

Here’s hoping we stay up and he gets to put his stamp on how we play,and with the players he wants

It's not constant pressing but there are times where we home in on an opposition player and press and there are other times where we let teams have the ball and we sit back and get in position !

There was lots of pressing last night slightly let down be Austin who really isn't suited to it, ambling towards the opposition like a geriatric poodle.

and there is a style based a lot around the wingbacks and moving the ball forwards quickly on the counter

we still look average because err our players are mostly average...

That also includes the match against Cardiff after his appointment when he had barely been in the job.Take that out of the equation and last night's result into account and his League record is

W 5

D 3

L 4

(42 % win)

Bearing in mind that 4 of his 12 League games have been against the "top 6" that is a pretty good record ... and so much better than the legacy that Hughes left of

W 1

D 6

L. 8

Mind you one if the games that Ralph had was against Silva's Everton.... and that is 3 easy points.

Yes I know his hands are tied with the board...

Yes I know he has what he has to work with...

But there is no real improvement at all.

All this talk of high press and fitness is ********.

He’s quick to criticise the fans for for being frustrated....he’s quick to run to the fans for the adulation.

Another false dawn.

Either a skate or someone who will never be happy with saints.

Either way, a laughable post.

• 2 weeks later...

Ralph Hasenhüttl has averaged 1.4 points per game in his 15 Premier League games in charge.

Over 38 games that equals 53 points. Last season that would be enough for 8th place!

Hughes 9 points in 14 games = 0.64 per game. Over 38 games = 25 points

Suggests player quality is not the issue... appointing Pellegrino and Hughes was!

Ralph Hasenhüttl has averaged 1.4 points per game in his 15 Premier League games in charge.

Over 38 games that equals 53 points. Last season that would be enough for 8th place!

Hughes 9 points in 14 games = 0.64 per game. Over 38 games = 25 points

Suggests player quality is not the issue... appointing Pellegrino and Hughes was!

Amen.

As I stated in the after match thread yesterday I would not tend to include the Cardiff game as I don't think Ralph was really involved so he's accrued 21 points from 14 games at an average of 1.5 points. Had he been our manager for all 30 games and achieved the same average we would be sat below the big six teams in 7th position on 45 points. Considering what he's got to work with in terms of our squad I think he has performed miracles.

Slightly concerning that the Schalke job is now available after the other night, and possibly Bayern's too come the end of the season.

Let's hope he doesn't feel that he's done all he can here or that he doesn't have more to offer. Personally, if we survive this season, next season will be the one to show if his talents (or not!).

Reading this thread now is hilarious.

The difference RH has made is huge yet the usual suspects couldn't wait to run him down.

By my reckoning, since he arrived:

We've averaged 1.5 points per game.

We've beaten two top 6 teams.

He's shown faith in players previously ignored and got them back to their best (JWP. Romeu. Bednarek)

He's identified quality in the Academy (Valery mainly, but Slattery, Obafemi, Sims)

He's shown tactical flexibility

He's had to cope with virtually no fit effective strikers but got us scoring.

He's made supporting Saints exciting again.

That'll do for me. No, not planning on criticism.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reading this thread now is hilarious.

The difference RH has made is huge yet the usual suspects couldn't wait to run him down.

By my reckoning, since he arrived:

We've averaged 1.5 points per game.

We've beaten two top 6 teams.

He's shown faith in players previously ignored and got them back to their best (JWP. Romeu. Bednarek)

He's identified quality in the Academy (Valery mainly, but Slattery, Obafemi, Sims)

He's shown tactical flexibility

He's had to cope with virtually no fit effective strikers but got us scoring.

He's made supporting Saints exciting again.

That'll do for me. No, not planning on criticism.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

A full season under him would return 57 points! That's with losing to Cardiff home and away so room for improvement.

I hope he's with us for a few years. When we employed him I always said that we should keep him even if we did go down.

Now we need an owner to match his qualities and everything would be hunky-dory

• 4 weeks later...