Hasenhuttl ...can we criticise him yet...

saint lard

Bertrand has to play at left back. Cedric is worth the right back slot. Great game today.

Bednarek needs to be replaced by Danso and slot in alongside Vester. Let them build up a partnership.

Boufal is a top player now, Redmond is unstoppable. Djenepo is a game changer. All 3 play.

Hojbjerg is captain.

Romeu is our player of the season so far.

There you have it Ralph. There is your team.

Stop the chopping and changing. Let the players build up an understanding of each other’s game

Agree with all of that except Bednarek has been playing well and doesn't deserve to be dropped, and apart from the United match Vestergaard's been pretty awful.

The thing is, whilst the first half selection was gash and we played better in the second half we still only scored once, courtesy of a poor tackle, and we conceded and should have conceded a penalty.

When we play a bottom third teak, we have a chance of winning. When we play mid-table and above teams we will struggle.

We remain weak at centre back, centre mid and striker. We only have one left back. We only have two central midfielders. We have a goalie no one else would want. The squad is crap.

The thing is, whilst the first half selection was gash and we played better in the second half we still only scored once, courtesy of a poor tackle, and we conceded and should have conceded a penalty.

When we play a bottom third teak, we have a chance of winning. When we play mid-table and above teams we will struggle.

We remain weak at centre back, centre mid and striker. We only have one left back. We only have two central midfielders. We have a goalie no one else would want. The squad is crap.

In fairness bompey sat back on their lead and packed the midfield, so things would have been different if we'd started the game properly.

And last season tells us that we perversely do better against the good teams than the bad teams

Careful with those knees jerking boys....

We won 3 drew 1 of the 4 before last night ffs

Last night wasn't great but the overreaction against RH is laughable.

Previous results do not mean he avoids criticism. Defensive selection has been shocking this season and has cost us. Any other manager would rightly be pulled up for selecting a RB at LB, a CB at RB, and leaving our best LB on the bench. In the previous game the selection of Djenepo at LWB was equally nuts. His selection last night cost us the game, pure and simple.

Stop the stupid zonal marking ralph
Zonal marking can work, but not if you line your defenders up on the 6 yard line and they just stand there without going for it at all.

Personally, I've always been in favour of your two tallest players standing within the width of the goal about 8 yards out and one of them attacking the ball depending on where it goes, with everyone else man marking.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The last 4 words of this post sum up our problem quite nicely. Anyone who thinks we're in for a comfortable season is deluded.

The last 4 words of this post sum up our problem quite nicely. Anyone who thinks we're in for a comfortable season is deluded.

Not entirely. We have some ok players, some poor ones and a couple of good ones. Our manager, when you actually look at what he does, is pretty much an Alpine Sam Allardyce rather than Klopp. He just does it in the 'modern' fashion of defend in their half and goes for early attempts rather than set plays.

I have no problem criticising Ralph when he gets wrong and yesterday he got the defence totally wrong. Having said that I think in general he is doing a decent job, with an average squad. His style of play seems much better suited against the better sides in the league who want to out play us but we still struggle against sides that we have to break down. When we get the press and counter right we are exciting to watch, like in the second half last night, but we don't seem to able to play like that consistently. Ralph is better than the last couple of managers and I struggle to see us upgrading to a much better manager given our current status.

I think we all realise the limitations in the squad that Ralph has to contend with and this is laid squarely at the door of Les Reed (uber cretin), although with a stain on Wilson also. To this extent Ralph has an immediate 'get out of jail card' in my book.

But even allowing for the limited squad available the defensive line up selected last night was appalling and that really is RH's fault. Shame to admit this isn't the first time he has shuffled the p!ss poor pack in an unfathomable way in setting up the defence.

Hope he sorts it soon. Tuesday is no time for experiments, lets hope he gets it right.

I have no problem criticising Ralph when he gets wrong and yesterday he got the defence totally wrong. Having said that I think in general he is doing a decent job, with an average squad. His style of play seems much better suited against the better sides in the league who want to out play us but we still struggle against sides that we have to break down. When we get the press and counter right we are exciting to watch, like in the second half last night, but we don't seem to able to play like that consistently. Ralph is better than the last couple of managers and I struggle to see us upgrading to a much better manager given our current status.

Think Ralph needs some help, especially in the defensive area. We really don't seem to have any defence minded coaches. Kitzbichler is not defence minded, don't think Fleming is either. He needs to sort out defensive set ups, cut out zonal marking would be a start. Our players abilities are limited but you can at least organise them properly. Also think RH is not the best man manager, not seeing eye to eye with decent players meaning Bertrand and Yoshida being left out is ridiculous.

A defence which is making a lot of mistakes needs stabilising. Bertrand and Yoshi are more likely to do that and they were on the bench. That baffled me, we need those two. I forgive Bednarek his mistaake, he has saved us several times but Vest....chap is a constant worry and Danso is one for the future not right now.

After all this time Ralph is clearly still experimenting, he seems to fall out with players or certainly have issues with them far too often. Team selection has been almost ridiculous at times and as for Vestaguard remaining in the team with Yoshida not getting a look in this is just bizarre.

I’m not convinced Ralph is quite as good as his own confidence suggests.

In fact Ralph is a rabbit in the headlights.

Decent football managers are actually pretty rare.....

A defence which is making a lot of mistakes needs stabilising. Bertrand and Yoshi are more likely to do that and they were on the bench. That baffled me, we need those two. I forgive Bednarek his mistaake, he has saved us several times but Vest....chap is a constant worry and Danso is one for the future not right now.
I don't think it was bednareks mistake Gunn totally blocked off his path to the ball there was nothing he could do

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

After all this time Ralph is clearly still experimenting, he seems to fall out with players or certainly have issues with them far too often. Team selection has been almost ridiculous at times and as for Vestaguard remaining in the team with Yoshida not getting a look in this is just bizarre.

I’m not convinced Ralph is quite as good as his own confidence suggests.

In fact Ralph is a rabbit in the headlights.

Decent football managers are actually pretty rare.....

I can sort of agree with your first paragraph but the rest is your usual ludicrous trolling. Give it a rest.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Is RH exempt from criticism? Of course he's not. The team selection against Bournemouth was a puzzling one for the fans and it proved that way.

But he's doing a decent job and is trying to turn this team around. It isn't going to be easy as we have been well off the pace for three and half years. Man for man we just don't have the quality that we had 3-5 years ago.

I am willing to give him plenty of slack, most notably for the way he's brought Boufal back into the team. He was a dead cert to be on his way, now he's back and starting to show some of his talent. I know it won't be exclusively down to RH but he deserves a fair bit of credit for playing him.

I don't understand the Danso at left back decisions. He wasn't very good at Brighton away in that position and was much more at home when we switched to a back three. He got sent off against united and was awful against Bournemouth in that position. The only difference between Ralph and other managers is that he makes a decision to rectify the problems ASAP, which is a good thing. Bertrand should be starting left back or wing back every game in my opinion and Danso should partner Bednarek.

No doubt Ralph has been great for us, but no manager is free of criticism.

I don't understand the Danso at left back decisions. He wasn't very good at Brighton away in that position and was much more at home when we switched to a back three. He got sent off against united and was awful against Bournemouth in that position. The only difference between Ralph and other managers is that he makes a decision to rectify the problems ASAP, which is a good thing. Bertrand should be starting left back or wing back every game in my opinion and Danso should partner Bednarek.

No doubt Ralph has been great for us, but no manager is free of criticism.

I have to disagree with this. It was obvious within the first 5 minutes on Friday that the defensive setup was not working, especially with Danso at RB, yet he waited until HT and being 2-0 down (would have been 3-0 but for VAR) before making the necessary switch.

I have to disagree with this. It was obvious within the first 5 minutes on Friday that the defensive setup was not working, especially with Danso at RB, yet he waited until HT and being 2-0 down (would have been 3-0 but for VAR) before making the necessary switch.

Compared to previous managers he does. Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes would have done this mid way through the second half. He does make tactical switches through the game too, that other managers did not.

It would not have been 3-0 as once the 2nd goal had gone in, if it had not been disallowed meant that the play would have been totally different. It may have been 2-2 or 6-0 or even 3-0.

Do you understand that?Its like sliding doors, we took a free kick after the decision and that play went on from there, had it been a goal the ball would have started at the centre circle and the pattern of play entirely different.

It would not have been 3-0 as once the 2nd goal had gone in, if it had not been disallowed meant that the play would have been totally different. It may have been 2-2 or 6-0 or even 3-0.

Do you understand that?Its like sliding doors, we took a free kick after the decision and that play went on from there, had it been a goal the ball would have started at the centre circle and the pattern of play entirely different.

Yes, of course. I momentarily forgot that the disallowed goal was before their actual second goal.

But that does not negate the point I was making.

Unfortunately Ralph tends to overthink things sometimes. He talks in his interviews about these changes being a big strength of us and how we do surprise our opponents - somehow he seems to ignore that this never worked out till now. No goal in the first half at all tells us how suprised the opponents were. In fact noone cares who Plays as our RB - he just thinks that because he does care that much about every Detail of the oppenents. Our goals scored in fact all needed a big change in the initial tactics cause the surprise just didn't work out. Desite that he keeps playing players out of position, which is worrying as he doesn't seem to learn or just trust the Players enough...

Bertrand is our best LB by a mile, Danso is no FB (or WB) at all - it is clear for all to see.

If a manager trusts his own players to be good enough, he doesn't have to Change around too much and worry too much about the Opponent - so it seems to me he doesn't trust them. We should not try surprise Teams like Sheff.Utd. with our tactics, as they should be the ones worrying how to cope with us, not the other way round. So it's time for him to stop this experimenting und trying to be too clever - especially when we play none of the top 6...

As usual you are rude to other posters and contrive to call others trolls !

Have an opinion of your own mate!

I have clear opinions as you'd see if you read my contributions. We have an excellent manager but he has made some questionable selections in defence in the last two matches.

You make unsubstantiated comments such as "rabbit in the headlights" and "not as good as his hype" (or words to that effect) which I can only interpret as trying to encourage dissatisfaction and unrest.

If you do that, expect a response. It's not rudeness, it's a perfectly reasonable observation.

My problem is that as we never get to see how they train we don't know what the manager see.if our p1ss poor strikers play against our defence they may show our cb's as world beaters. It is easy to moan, groan, criticise, and generally act like superior intellectuals on here.

win or lose I am a Saints supporter. have been since my first game in 52 and win or lose will be the day I die.

though more weak, underwhelming performances like that could bring sooner than I want.

too slow and with no muscle we will always struggle.

I have clear opinions as you'd see if you read my contributions. We have an excellent manager but he has made some questionable selections in defence in the last two matches.

You make unsubstantiated comments such as "rabbit in the headlights" and "not as good as his hype" (or words to that effect) which I can only interpret as trying to encourage dissatisfaction and unrest.

If you do that, expect a response. It's not rudeness, it's a perfectly reasonable observation.

Sounds like you're trying to do that. It's plain that in this place most's opinions are their own and few are persuaded to change them.

Now approaching a year in charge and I do sometimes wonder what our opinion would be if he'd been the man who followed Koeman, but then again he'd have inherited a far better team/setup in that situation

I wouldn't say he's set the world alight here but the steady progress (with a few hiccups) is encouraging and, in many ways, is the best result for us given he shouldn't get poached (although I've heard a few whispers about Spurs...)

Very happy with him all told

Love him for last night's result. But the run of fixtures is tough now and our home form is woeful. Think questions will be asked soon.

And fully expect a big Spurs win after their recent results.

Exactly! Our defence showed how frail it is at Pompey last night. We were very lucky not to be 2-0 down. We'll struggle against any premiership team with a defence like ours.

In reply to the original question.... Yup..... Yes we can.... Still playing players out of position... Still doesn't tend to stick to his strongest team... If he even knows what that is

That said he is a decent manager for our level

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk