The January Window - what will it cost us?

Heisenberg

When we were in excellent form, my belief was that we would/could continue that form. Your belief was that said form wouldn't continue without injection of new players. Fair enough, you got it right, I seemingly didn't. It's only football, life goes on.
I thought we would do better in these three games than this. I also thought that the transfer window was a clusterf uck. Pretty easy to think both things.

Danny Ings currently injured. Obviously we could only know that would happen this season with the benefit of hindsight

A few weeks ago we were 6 points off the top half of the table and 5th in the form table with games versus Crystal Palace, Burnley and Cardiff to come. Are you suggesting it was unreasonable to believe, given our form at the time, that we wouldn't get more out of those games than we did, regardless of what happened in the transfer window? Without the benefit of hindsight, I would venture there was every reason to believe we'd get a run of decent results in those games.

yes, plenty tried saying we were/are deep in the shyt...got called skates, got infracted and dismissed...

I was called a weirdo etc for predicting (now seemingly overly optimistic) 7 points from those 5 games.

I thought we would do better in these three games than this. I also thought that the transfer window was a clusterf uck. Pretty easy to think both things.

Danny Ings currently injured. Obviously we could only know that would happen this season with the benefit of hindsight

You got me there :)

yes, plenty tried saying we were/are deep in the shyt...got called skates, got infracted and dismissed...

I was called a weirdo etc for predicting (now seemingly overly optimistic) 7 points from those 5 games.

Ok, fair enough. Some of us felt optimist, some of us didn't. C'est la vie

Ok, fair enough. Some of us felt optimist, some of us didn't. C'est la vie

maybe open your ears/mind

sadly, people like me have been right far more than wrong in recent years.

yes, I was a weirdo for predicting 7 points, more like 3-5 (imagine if I suggested that on the 5 games thread)

Ok, fair enough. Some of us felt optimist, some of us didn't. These things happen.

I felt we'd turned a corner but we were still light on quality and a few injuries from bad times, I naively thought we'd use that optimism we’d built to improve/build on the squad in January, as I did feel we'd have a little dip and we'd need some new faces to freshen it up. That didn't happen and now we're staring into the abyss.

At least Gao didn’t have to spend any money though. Bonus.

Mods have supported the "positive" view for ages.

You can have knowledge and an opinion on here..... Just make sure it's a positive one.

C'est la vie

It's only football, life goes on.

^ this is your bulk standard saints fan these days unfortunately. No passion, no ambition, no clue, no care.

The reason why Les Reed was allowed to take us from 6-17 and why Kat and Gao still remain unchallenged.

Your 'general' Saints fan is pretty weak and pathetic. Can't think of many clubs where so much **** would get applauded. Our weak fanbase is pretty unique and submissive.

Edited by Heisenberg

Not a stupid desicion at all. Neither were in the team and when they were they and we were still ****.

I don't think the issue is with us shipping them out, as I agree they were pretty crap and not suited to this league. They weren’t going to do anything for us, so didn’t want them stinking the place out. The problem was that we didn't replace them with better/more suited players. Absolutely shocking really.

I don't think the issue is with us shipping them out, as I agree they were pretty crap and not suited to this league. They weren’t going to do anything for us, so didn’t want them stinking the place out. The problem was that we didn't replace them with better/more suited players. Absolutely shocking really.

As we all know the January transfer window is becoming increasingly difficult to get the right players. Ralph wanted long term solutions as opposed to short term. Yes Che Adams would have been good but the club obviously felt the prices being talked were unrealistic. With regards to RB, Valery is doing ok and bringing the Olympiakos guy in may not have solved the problem. We clearly have an interest in Maehle but he was unavailable.

Simply put if Hasenhuttl with the current group of players cant get more points than Warnock and Cardiff between now and the season end then we deserve to go down. I dont think we will

^ this is your bulk standard saints fan these days unfortunately. No passion, no ambition, no clue, no care.

The reason why Les Reed was allowed to take us from 6-17 and why Kat and Gao still remain unchallenged.

Your 'general' Saints fan is pretty weak and pathetic. Can't think of many clubs where so much **** would get applauded. Our weak fanbase is pretty unique and submissive.

Aaah the old 'slag the fans again'. They've all got 'no ambition, no clue and no care'.

But you being an uber keyboard warrior, you care more than every other fan.

You not being so 'pathetic and weak' perhaps you'd like to rock up at some of the games, show them what a 'real saints fan' looks like.

Or perhaps you'd just like to sit behind your keyboard spouting crap as usual.

You are a top, top troll, I'll give you that. After that you yourself are just pathetic.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

When we were in excellent form, my belief was that we would/could continue that form. Your belief was that said form wouldn't continue without injection of new players. Fair enough, you got it right, I seemingly didn't. It's only football, life goes on.

It's not the lack of new players Lord T (we keep hearing this in defense of the club), it's the shipping out of decent players without replacements (Gabbi and Cedric in particular. Hoedt fair enough, good riddance). With Danny Ingured out (again) our forward options are a joke, and the same will be true at RB if Valery gets injured/suspended.

The club have clearly put all their eggs in the Ralph basket and said "he's so good with young players we don't need to strengthen our substandard squad right now in order to stay up". Massively complacent but it's what we have come to expect from those in charge.

A couple of wins in January shouldn't have got everyone fooled that we would soar away from trouble from that point on with no improvements to squad to help the manager.

Still think we can stay up, but the lack of assistance to the manager has meant that it's going to be very very close again and could go either way.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yes indeed, except it's "he's so good with young players we can weaken our substandard squad right now and still stay up".

It's a stupid gamble. If we do stay up we'll probably hear "we told you so" from those who thought it is a good window. Just like someone playing Russian roulette, the chamber clicks empty as they point it to their skull, and they say "See, I told you it was a safe game."

Please tell how we fans could have got rid of Les? Did you fight your way to the directors box to challenge him, did you wait in the car park to meet him to give him your views? Nope you sat behind the computer telling others what they should do. I have total distaste for Les reed and feel sickened he has now a good job at the FA but know Im powerless to affect the goings on at a multi million pound business. Iam one of the foolish victims who stupidly follow a business that cynically uses the city of my birth as its name to play at my loyalties.

Completely agree

I know gabiadini probably wanted out but should he have been kept till the end of the season then allowed to leave? Long & Austin the less said about them the better...... & Ings always a feather away from another injury.... Yes Redmond has contributed goals of late but isn't our lack of quality up front a really risky gamble by the club? Doesn't RH want a striker? Can't believe any manager would be happy with what we have

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Agree 100% Mr X.

Cannot believe RH didn't have a goal-scorer earmarked. Believe it borders on criminal negligence from the board not to have recruited more goal-scoring firepower in the January window. I think they believed they could get away without it based on RH's positive start and believing there are three worse teams than us...well think again board!

After losing twice to Cardiff - our best bet to be one of the three below us - I hope they've had some sleepless nights. After the brilliant move of bringing in Hasenhutl, they might just have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by not investing in goals early enough.

I have already discounted Ings...at best he'll be fit for half our remaining games. Obafemi is promising but also recently injured and inexperienced. Armstrong can get a couple...PEH perhaps, JWP the odd one...we are hugely over-reliant on Redmond for creative play-making and scoring. Although outsiders think we have enough to survive, I think we are in serious trouble this time. We will know after the Fulham game.

He’s probably got faith in himself, his coaching staff and his players and is willing to work hard to get results.

A little positivity goes a long way.

Presumably, therefore, he is positive that Long can play and score as a striker, and that Austin can play a pressing game for more than 10 minutes. RH may be very good as a manager and motivator, and full of self confidence, but going against the evidence of history is one hell of a trick.

What's the point of a thread trying to guess what RH may think?! None of us know, and even if we did, it wouldn't change anything. We have what we have, and bar the fragile Ings, most of us agree that our strikers aren't good enough.

Whether RH has "faith in himself, his coaching staff and his players" as SaintZamboni says we'll never know, but he ain't got any choice but to put his faith in himself and them.

It can easily be argued that our striker options overall are bottom 3 during the times Ings is unavailable - if Redmond is excluded.

Noticeable the impact Zohore made from the bench against us, and Crouch the week before.

Our sub options are dire.

To answer the RH question - he clesrly wanted a striker and for a good portion of the window he expected one...

It can easily be argued that our striker options overall are bottom 3 during the times Ings is unavailable - if Redmond is excluded.

Noticeable the impact Zohore made from the bench against us, and Crouch the week before.

Our sub options are dire.

To answer the RH question - he clesrly wanted a striker and for a good portion of the window he expected one...

To be honest, I think even when he is available, we're still in the bottom 5 on options up top. You know you're only going to get 60 minutes out of him anyway. The options off the bench are dire, and when Ings isn't available we've got a strike force that some Championship sides wouldn't take. It's just a gamble to see whether thats going to cost us by the end of the season. But, if Gao has no money, then he's got to go. Nothing good can come of him, there's clearly a reason why he didn't pass the "fit and proper test" by the premier league.

To be fair we have failed to score in two games since Ralph took over Cardiff and Chelsea in that time we've managed one clean sheet.

I'd happily have had a new striker in Jan but if we had a better defence we would have picked up more points since Ralph took over last two games, alone, we've thrown away 3 pts from **** defending alone.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I know gabiadini probably wanted out but should he have been kept till the end of the season then allowed to leave? Long & Austin the less said about them the better...... & Ings always a feather away from another injury.... Yes Redmond has contributed goals of late but isn't our lack of quality up front a really risky gamble by the club? Doesn't RH want a striker? Can't believe any manager would be happy with what we have

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

The short answer is that probably he doesn't but realises that negativity on his part is not going to help matters one jot or tittle. Obviously the board didn't set out to stitch him up but incompetence in the transfer window has scgrewed him. Of course we should never have let experienced players go until the incomings situation was clarified but he may have been in part responsible for that himself such his predilection for having favourites and making up his mind too quickly about players. Now it has turned around and bitten him on the arse he must be wondering how to handle his career going forward with a PL relegation on his CV.

He has a lot to learn as well as his players and I hope he is humble enough to accept that.

Need to get this ***** out of our club...

But it is not our club it is his. Remind me again how many millions did Markus spend on players of his own money? How many news conferences did Markus give? We have always been a self sustaining club. That isn’t going to change any time soon. Last year the club was slagged off for buying for the sake of it, this year for not buying at all. The club made it clear that this January they would only buy if the right players(s) became available. By all account they didn’t. How is that the club’s fault? How many transfers were made in the Premiership in the last window? We know that the January window is difficult and we’re warned not to expect much, if anything, yet still the whinging goes on. The club got slated for letting players leave in the past yet other clubs are supposed to roll over and sell to us mid season just because we are the mighty Saints?

But it is not our club it is his. Remind me again how many millions did Markus spend on players of his own money? How many news conferences did Markus give? We have always been a self sustaining club. That isn’t going to change any time soon. Last year the club was slagged off for buying for the sake of it, this year for not buying at all. The club made it clear that this January they would only buy if the right players(s) became available. By all account they didn’t. How is that the club’s fault? How many transfers were made in the Premiership in the last window? We know that the January window is difficult and we’re warned not to expect much, if anything, yet still the whinging goes on. The club got slated for letting players leave in the past yet other clubs are supposed to roll over and sell to us mid season just because we are the mighty Saints?

i thought that when a bigger club comes calling, there is not much you can do?

We could not ship them out fast enough when we were the sellers

Edited by Batman

Hard to get a striker in when there is no money to spend...

You're missing the point. The board shouldn't have sold Gabbi without bringing in a replacement first.

If we had bought another striker we couldn't be sure he would score loads, remember Carrillo..

Like some have said lets put our faith in RH and support what we have, you never know, we might just do it and imo we will

You're missing the point. The board shouldn't have sold Gabbi without bringing in a replacement first.

Last year the club was slagged off for buying for the sake of it, this year for not buying at all. The club made it clear that this January they would only buy if the right players(s) became available. By all account they didn’t. How is that the club’s fault? How many transfers were made in the Premiership in the last window? We know that the January window is difficult and we’re warned not to expect much, if anything, yet still the whinging goes on. The club got slated for letting players leave in the past yet other clubs are supposed to roll over and sell to us mid season just because we are the mighty Saints?

The short answer is that probably he doesn't but realises that negativity on his part is not going to help matters one jot or tittle. Obviously the board didn't set out to stitch him up but incompetence in the transfer window has scgrewed him. Of course we should never have let experienced players go until the incomings situation was clarified but he may have been in part responsible for that himself such his predilection for having favourites and making up his mind too quickly about players. Now it has turned around and bitten him on the arse he must be wondering how to handle his career going forward with a PL relegation on his CV.

He has a lot to learn as well as his players and I hope he is humble enough to accept that.

This ^^^^^^^^^

This ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph said he did not figure in his plans...

I thinks it's clear Ralph didn't want Gabbi from the horse's mouth.

Hasenhuttl said at a press conference: "He is a good player, fantastic technique, but I think with this intensive pressing system we try to play, it is not his way, so it was better to find a solution which is better for both sides.

"It is a good step for him to go back to Italy, I wish him all the best. I am sure he can score goals at every club in the world, but we try to go another way and for that we need other players."

However I also think you could interpret the last line as Ralph thinking he was going to get a replacement...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk